Forums > General Industry > What Photog has the most Diverse looking Portfolio

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
I don't think that "diversified" is necessarily a compliment for a photographer...

Neither is having a different model in the same pose, garments, makeup with the same background...

I think that if you shoot a lot, and have many different clients and fill their different needs, you automatically develop a diversification in your portfolio.

Oh, I forgot to mention food photography I did for a restaurant review for Sheldon Landwehr... wink

I shoot anything that makes me a buck... well... almost anything. big_smile

Oct 27 06 08:56 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

UdoR wrote:

Neither is having a different model in the same pose, garments, makeup with the same background...

Obviously.

UdoR wrote:
I think that if you shoot a lot, and have many different clients and fill their different needs, you automatically develop a diversification in your portfolio.

I suppose one can either do whatever the client wants or one can have the client want what you do.

I don't consider any of my photo heroes to be all that diverse.  Rather, they are the best.

Oct 27 06 09:03 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Bentley Photography

Westcliffe, Colorado, US

Gaylord Hill wrote:
Mine is pretty diverse and it bothers me because it is. Guess I'm fickle!

Keep getting fickel.  I see alot of stuff (different models) but they seem to follow the same theme.  But, as you can see from mine....., I'm no judge.

Oct 27 06 09:03 pm Link

Photographer

The clinic is closed

Akhiok, Alaska, US

markEdwardPhoto wrote:
A portfolio of images where most of them are different then the other images in their portfolio.

Diversity!

Too much diversity in my MM portfolio had the effect of making me seem like one of the clever kids, but didn't get me any work. Since I tossed 99% of my images and focused on one style, I'm getting a lot more callls. It was the best piece of portfolio advice I ever received.

My portfolio on DeviantArt is a lot more diverse, but I consider that a place for play, not work.

Oct 27 06 09:05 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
I suppose one can either do whatever the client wants or one can have the client want what you do.

Yes and no. In my case the client has an objective and gives me the freedom to do MY take on the execution and creation.

I never worked as a shutterpusher, where the client does the total setup, poses the model/subject and tells me when to click the shutter release... that's not what I do and that's not what they are paying me to do.

I actually like the challenge to meet different needs of clients and take pride in being able to deliver.

For me... I feel that this enriches my range of experiences and new techniques I may have to learn can often be adapted to other situations... it's fun and exciting to me.

Oct 27 06 09:15 pm Link

Photographer

Bluefire

East Tawas, Michigan, US

Photographing the same thing time and again is the same as eating the same meal day after day.

Variety (or should I say 'diversity') is the spice of life!

Oct 27 06 09:15 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Kaos Beauty Klinik wrote:
Too much diversity in my MM portfolio had the effect of making me seem like one of the clever kids, but didn't get me any work.

My portfolio on DeviantArt is a lot more diverse, but I consider that a place for play, not work.

That is so interesting... with me... it's just the opposite. MM is a place to play and networking and I don't get my business from here or even my website, but a lot of word of mouth advertising, aka referrals and repeat clients.

Oct 27 06 09:17 pm Link

Model

RDawkins

Breckenridge, Colorado, US

Wherever prospective clients ($) can find your work is a place of work, these days.

Oct 27 06 09:29 pm Link

Photographer

none of the above

Marina del Rey, California, US

UdoR wrote:
MM is a place to play and networking and I don't get my business from here...

you aren't alone.

--face reality

Oct 27 06 09:51 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Ector

Atlanta, Georgia, US

A lot of people say mine is diverse.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=45773

Oct 27 06 10:01 pm Link

Photographer

JM Dean

Cary, North Carolina, US

~*Isabel Aurora*~ wrote:
http://www.modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=8446

all different styles/genres/tastes

he's the most versatile photographer I have ever worked with!!!!  He's open to all ideas and doesn't limit himself to one style

LOL. Where do I send the check smile Thank you for the kind words.

I try to shoot a lot of things just for the love of photography. That’s probably one of my big faults. Instead of trying to concentrate on one area and perfecting it and becoming one of the best at it, I piddle around with all types. IMO a great photographer perfects his style and is noticed for that. I’m still looking for that style. Maybe that’s why I shoot everything. I don’t know. Oh, and I like B(0)(0)bies smile

Oct 27 06 10:10 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

K. Holden wrote:
Wherever prospective clients ($) can find your work is a place of work, these days.

Oh... don't I know it...

My greatest frustration is that I never completed the revamping of my personal website, after taking down 600 pages in March of LAST year.

I am painfully aware that I may have lost one or two MAJOR possibilities, because my site isn't up to date and doesn't have one single tearsheet up.

The good thing is that this is due to the fact that I am so busy shooting for clients... but(!) I could shoot for fewer clients, making more money (much more per shoot) if I had ALL MY CRAP together... but... well..., not making excuses... my life is comfortable, but I hassle and work my butt of.

A very dear friend of mine (BRILLIANT and in my recent and other uploads) suggested that I take a month off and really bring it all up to date... and she is right... but... well... I dunno... LOL

Oct 27 06 10:12 pm Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

markEdwardPhoto wrote:
What Photog has the most Diverse looking Portfolio?

you mean here on MM alone? or add in those on the 'Net?

how many thousands are there? hmm ... ?

Oct 27 06 10:13 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Mos Photography wrote:
A lot of people say mine is diverse.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=45773

What does "diversity" mean to you?

Oct 27 06 10:15 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

FaceReality wrote:

you aren't alone.

--face reality

I figured that much!

I find that you have a very diverse portfolio as well!

You changed your avatar to the LoR creature... did you shoot that?

What can I say... WOW... and FRIGGIN' WOW!

Oct 27 06 10:17 pm Link

Photographer

JLSPHOTOWORKS

Langley, Washington, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
I don't think that "diversified" is necessarily a compliment for a photographer...

well I beg to differ on this, Perhaps it all depends on what your marketing to. however, being diverse in the craft of photography as some one else put it, shows a command of the craft. 

Anyone can press the shutter on the camera which is evident from many examples shown here on MM.  I think that being 'diversified" for a photographer means being able to shoot any subject, anytime, anywhere without being limited.  Just like some shooters only shoot in available light but put them in a situation where they need to light, and watch them crawling all over the boards looking for advise on what to do.    Granted as well, most pro photographers tend to stick to the niche they  specialize in, and that is quite the norm.  but dont you think it gets a bit boring just working only in your "speciality" field?

so yes, diversity for a photographer... most definitly a compliment in and of it self.

Oct 27 06 10:51 pm Link

Photographer

RAW-R IMAGE

Los Angeles, California, US

ZingArts wrote:

Keep getting fickel.  I see alot of stuff (different models) but they seem to follow the same theme.  But, as you can see from mine....., I'm no judge.

VERY INTERESTING COMMENT. Please explain what the SAME theme is. It would be very helpful to me!!

Oct 28 06 02:24 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

JLSPHOTOWORKS wrote:
I think that being 'diversified" for a photographer means being able to shoot any subject, anytime, anywhere without being limited.

Funny, this is pretty much what I tell prospective clients when they ask me if I have limitations.

Oct 30 06 05:12 am Link

Photographer

TC Studios

New York, New York, US

I would say I am pretty diverse, but I have only people up on MM.

Check my personal site:

http://www.wurman.com/reven

Oct 30 06 05:18 am Link

Photographer

Ailgif Studios

Portland, Arkansas, US

I think that NYPhotographics has a diverse portfolio...Very creative, artistic, and beautiful portfolio...
https://www.modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=31329

Oct 30 06 05:37 am Link

Photographer

Larry Brown Camera

Atlantic Beach, Florida, US

Diverse ....up or down in or our ????

Oct 30 06 05:49 am Link

Photographer

nevar

Fort Smith, Arkansas, US

ah.... I'm a one trick camel in a desert of imagination

Oct 30 06 06:50 am Link

Photographer

Bill Tracy Photography

Montague, New Jersey, US

I think I'm pretty diverse, but that's just becasue I have no idea what I'm doing - lol!!

Oct 30 06 06:56 am Link

Photographer

Andre Giovina

Frisco, Texas, US

diverse ?

you be the judge...

Oct 30 06 07:12 am Link