Forums > General Industry > Off the beaten path...February vacation

Photographer

KHatch

Utica, New York, US

I'm looking for a different place to go in February (about 4 or 5 days) for vacation that's off the beaten path, IOW the non-touristy destinations. Being February and cold here at that time of year, I'd prefer someplace warmer than freezing, lol.

Hopefully, there's a place that has rich history, great architecture and/or scenic natural settings for photography and the natives can understand English. I can only speak enough Spanish to get me into trouble.

I'm just brainstorming now so any ideas and recommendations are appreciated.

Any ideas?

Oct 27 06 04:59 pm Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

Charleston SC or Savannah, GA both have rich histories and lots of dramatic and classic southern architecture.  I have shot in both places and found it easy to get great light and amazing backgrounds in public places. Lots of good local food & drink too.

Oct 27 06 06:37 pm Link

Model

Mayanlee

New City, New York, US

West, Southwest.

Grand River Staircase/Escalante River system. Capitol Reef. Bryce Canyon. Zion National Park. Too many to list.

When it gets warmer (NOT February): Rhine River valley, Burgundy region (France)... well, almost anywhere in Europe...

Southern Appalachia.

Wow... the possibilities are endless...

Oct 27 06 07:02 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Melvin

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Mayanlee's on the right track. I think Northern Arizona and most of Utah is probably the most beautiful area in North America.

Monument Valley
Moab (Arches National Park)
Grand Canyon
Bryce Canyon

Look at an atlas and see just how much stuff is out there. I took a road trip this spring - 3,300 miles - and it was gorgeous.

https://stevemelvin.com/roadtrip/slides/IMG_9395.jpg

https://stevemelvin.com/roadtrip/slides/IMG_8725.jpg

https://stevemelvin.com/roadtrip/slides/IMG_8942.jpg

Oct 27 06 08:39 pm Link

Photographer

Dee

Toledo, Ohio, US

Stephen Melvin wrote:
Mayanlee's on the right track. I think Northern Arizona and most of Utah is probably the most beautiful area in North America.

Monument Valley
Moab (Arches National Park)
Grand Canyon
Bryce Canyon

Look at an atlas and see just how much stuff is out there. I took a road trip this spring - 3,300 miles - and it was gorgeous.

YES! YES YES!!! That is where discovered that I could take good photos!! SOOO BEAUTIFUL!!!! Anywhere out west!!!!

We drove cross country to las vegas taking the southern route hitting all of the gorgeous states...now getting through Kansas....zzzzzzz.z..zzzzzzzz..zzz.z.zz.

Oct 27 06 08:41 pm Link

Photographer

John Van

Vienna, Wien, Austria

Syria

Oct 27 06 10:51 pm Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

For February, I'd have to concur w/ Arizona, New Mexico area as well. Maybe even investigating the old Anaszi ruins in the 4 Corners region might be a possibility too.

Oct 27 06 10:57 pm Link

Photographer

KHatch

Utica, New York, US

Thanks for the replies. I wasn't even thinking of a domestic vacation but that might not be a bad idea as I wouldn't have to mess with passports and customs. Also, I can just hook the chipper to the back of the truck. :-)

Keep the suggestions coming. I'd prefer to experience a different culture, something beautiful and gritty at the same time.

I'm trying to reward myself for the crappy year or 2 I've had. :-)

Oct 28 06 07:19 am Link

Model

Mayanlee

New City, New York, US

Do the Appalachians qualify as a different culture? The Amish do... but after their hard year, I doubt they'd want anyone else from our end poking around their neighborhood.

Different culture? Damn, that's anywhere. The Amazonian. Thailand. Anywhere in Southeast Asia. China: Xian, Gueling (GORGEOUS mountains). Morocco. Sicily. The Greek Mediterranean. Istanbul. In fact, take the Orient Express.

More off the beaten track: Tierra del Fuego. Tibet/Nepal. India.

The old phrase still holds: the world's your oyster.

Just grab yourself some old issues of National Geographic.

Do a Day In the Life and Anytown, USA. Hell, do a Day In the Life of Anywhere.

Oct 28 06 07:53 am Link

Photographer

dfstudios

Mill Valley, California, US

I have been wanting to put together a trip to Nicaragua in February, Atlantic coast. Not Bluefields but over on the Corn Islands. Tis' stunning at that time of the year and the price is no where near as bad as Costa Rica.
*edit* 200 posts, never thought it would happen

Oct 28 06 08:10 am Link