Forums > General Industry > CastingYou.com - stealing casting calls

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

Just a heads-up so hopefully people would stop paying this website.

CastingYou.com apparently took a casting call I posted on a local forum, doctored it and placed it on their own "pay-to-view" casting.  Even worse, I was looking for a videographer, and they doctored it to look like I am casting for models (so now I am receiving quite a few spams).  The original post I wrote already mentioned that models have already been cast from agencies.  Even funnier, the production is already over!

This, obviously, adds to their list of so-called "casting call" so they can sell more membership to unsuspecting newbies.

Please beware and be careful with your $$$.

Oct 27 06 04:30 pm Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

Good catch.  There are a lot of sleazy business models on the web praying on ambitious models.  It doesn't take much to identify 80% of the free (and current) casting call locations on the web.  Maybe someone could list them?

Oct 27 06 06:24 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

I wish castings here on MM were only visible to the members.

I had to stop passing along some due to some places stealing them.

Oct 27 06 08:44 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Bentley Photography

Westcliffe, Colorado, US

I guess nobody cares about my casting calls.  Maybe I gotta move to L.A.

Oct 27 06 09:07 pm Link

Photographer

Art Of Imaging

Brooklyn, New York, US

yea those guys are soooooooooooooo annoying I always deny them when they ask to be my friend on myspace

Oct 30 06 10:59 am Link

Photographer

Big Jim Slade

Arlington, Virginia, US

lll wrote:
CastingYou.com apparently took a casting call I posted on a local forum, doctored it and placed it on their own "pay-to-view" casting.

You could send them a DMCA takedown notice.

Additionally if you pay a maybe $40 or so fee to the PTO within 90 days of the creation of the original advert, then you can sue for statutory damages of $30,000, or actually $150,000 since the act was willful.

Or you can send them a takedown notice along with a letter of settlement asking for the $150,000 that you would be guaranteed in court.  I don't think you will get any money without an attorney, but it maight make them reconsider their practices.

Oct 30 06 11:14 am Link

Photographer

Searcher

New York, New York, US

What's the PTO?

Oct 30 06 12:45 pm Link