Forums > General Industry > do pro photogs accept paid work from newbies?

Makeup Artist

Melissa Rachelle

Miami, Florida, US

I know that many experienced professional photographers get offended when they are contacted by models or MUAs that they do not think are on their level.

If I want to work with a very talented pro photographer is it ok for me to send him/her an email asking if he would do some paid work for me for my book?  Or will he/she consider it a waste of time to work with a beginner?

And do pro photographers offer special discounted rates for portfolio shoots that will consist of many shoots over a long period of time?  Or is it also offensive to ask for discounted rates?

Thanks Much!

Melissa

Oct 27 06 04:17 pm Link

Photographer

HungryEye

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Professional photographers should always be happy to accept paid work from any client, regardless of experience.
The key is how much you will have to pay to get the best photographers.
Best of luck.

Oct 27 06 04:19 pm Link

Photographer

Sockpuppet Studios

San Francisco, California, US

Todays beginer is tomorrows superstar.

not a problem at all to ask to hire a great photographer to get those well lit close up face shots you need for your book.

Oct 27 06 04:21 pm Link

Photographer

Darkroomist

Saginaw, Michigan, US

Most professional photographers I know will do any paid shoot provided it's legal.  Though certian clients or subjects may cost more and/or be shot under a pseudonym.

-James

Oct 27 06 04:29 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Melissa Rachelle

Miami, Florida, US

Thanks.  I just don't want to offend anyone because I know pro photogs, models, and MUAs worked very hard to get to their level of success.

Melissa

Oct 27 06 05:06 pm Link

Photographer

IrisSwope

Dallas, Texas, US

I wouldn't think that the photographer would be offended, but if you are paying the photographer. Make sure that you have a model that is on the same level, it's useless to have the best photography, and best makeup, if the model is average.

Oct 27 06 05:11 pm Link

Photographer

Antonio Photography

Mexico City, Distrito Federal, Mexico

HungryEye wrote:
Professional photographers should always be happy to accept paid work from any client, regardless of experience.
The key is how much you will have to pay to get the best photographers.
Best of luck.

I agree. It's like buying a Mercedes, if you have the money, go ahead.  LOL. Most pros offer accesible prices for beginners depending of the type of job. Don't desperate. Knock the door and see wich one opens. I'll be glad to shot with you if possible.
ANTONIO

Oct 27 06 05:17 pm Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

If one is willing to pay my rate, I am only too happy to accept... UNLESS, I think I cannot possibly accomplish the assignment for some reason.

Oct 27 06 05:41 pm Link

Photographer

L O N D O N 6 x 6

London, England, United Kingdom

Only my view of course, I say that before I get shot to pieces for this, but photographers who earn 100% of their income from photography look upon mua's and stylists as 'gold dust' so you're likely not to have to pay, a collaboration would be suggested by photographers such as myself, as it not only benefits you, but also gives the photographer, such as myself, a chance to see if you are worth booking for commercial work or passing onto our editorial contacts for consideration when commissioning a shoot. Always worth asking, professionals don't get offended, they're used to commercial pressure and if you're good, you're not hastle to us at all, you're our 'back bone'. Commercial images require team work, and that means knowing and working with the best.

Oct 27 06 05:57 pm Link

Photographer

Harold Rose

Calhoun, Georgia, US

Melissa Rachelle wrote:
I know that many experienced professional photographers get offended when they are contacted by models or MUAs that they do not think are on their level.

If I want to work with a very talented pro photographer is it ok for me to send him/her an email asking if he would do some paid work for me for my book?  Or will he/she consider it a waste of time to work with a beginner?

And do pro photographers offer special discounted rates for portfolio shoots that will consist of many shoots over a long period of time?  Or is it also offensive to ask for discounted rates?

Thanks Much!

Melissa

I do beginners quite often.. and that will include kids,  teens,  and young adults.. even specialty models...  A portfolio is priced as such,  and is much less than a regular sitting..  We work faster and proof diferently than a portrait sitting..

Oct 27 06 06:04 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

HungryEye wrote:

What HungryEye said!

"Monet non Olet"

Oct 27 06 06:09 pm Link

Photographer

none of the above

Marina del Rey, California, US

this question was posed a while back in different form but it was essentially the same. 

i took a position that i would not shoot for payment specifically for a modeling type shoot if that was the lone purpose of the investment with an intent to seek out representation where it clearly would have been futile for the client. 

shoot family keepsakes?  yes.  contribute and perpetuate selling a dream?  no.  the line of difference?  a totally different approach for reaching results.  simply wanting pictures for the 'net?  there are plenty who do tfp for that.

--face reality

Oct 27 06 06:34 pm Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

Melissa Rachelle wrote:
I just don't want to offend anyone because I know pro photogs, models, and MUAs worked very hard to get to their level of success

don't over-generalize either, telling yourself that some of them won't be sympathetic to your request ...

... because there are those out there, regardless how much "success" they've known, who will be more than willing to find a time to sit down & have a look at your Book, see what you've been working on, and possibly find a way for the two of you to shoot something together.

FML

Oct 27 06 06:40 pm Link

Photographer

Torrence Williams

Dallas, Texas, US

Melissa Rachelle wrote:

Thanks Much!

Melissa

A professional photographer will take most PAID opportunites, as long as it #1 fits his/her schedule and is something that he/she is confortable in shooting, whether is a newbie or pro.

as far as Discounts for Newbies? wrong answer.  Why should a photog give the nebie model a discount because she doesn't know what she is doing.  His work is still the same. If anything.. I might work in reverse.  Because it is more time consuming to work with most newbie models.

Oct 27 06 06:43 pm Link

Photographer

Carissa Winland

Austin, Texas, US

I offer unadvertised reduced rates to beginning models only if they don't have a complete or professional portfolio. As a beginner, I was helped by so many people, and I try to give back in ways that I can.

And no, when those people contact me, I don't get my panties in a wad.

Oct 27 06 06:54 pm Link

Photographer

NYPHOTOGRAPHICS

FRESH MEADOWS, New York, US

Often it would come across as obnoxious to quote you a normal dayrate so instead you may get some that say they do not do paid portfolio work or they do commercial work only.  If they charge and get in excess of 15,000.00 a day after usage and licensing fees, plus there standard dayrate, its hard to get them to accept a job for say 1000.00 for headshots for your book, its just not feasible and may cause them to have issues with clients should word get out that they take on 1000.00 clients. 

Try calling steven meisel or markus klinko and asking them there rates for some portfolio shots.  Its not ever offensive to ask, but do not get offended when they give you a ridiculously high rate, I always start by saying we don't do noncommercial work, if they still want prices I state our commercial dayrates and specify that there are also usage fees and that they can be discounted but not discarded, at which point most people politely say I will get back to you. 

Stephen Eastwood
http://www.PhotographersPortfolio.com

Oct 27 06 07:05 pm Link

Photographer

Archived

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Ask all you want. If you can't afford that, ask if there's anything you can do to offset the cost - barter goods or services. Modeling services, perhaps, for their personal projects? Don't just say, "I don't have $1,000 - how about 500?" Ask if you can be "on call" in case of a cancellation, or if you can shoot off-hours. Be creative and find a mutually beneficial solution, don't just try to get a deal.

Oct 28 06 02:19 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

HungryEye wrote:
Professional photographers should always be happy to accept paid work from any client, regardless of experience...

Ya took the words right out of my mouth.
A ''professional'' in any business will always work for $$$... as long as it's not immoral or illegal.

Oct 28 06 12:17 pm Link

Photographer

NYPHOTOGRAPHICS

professionals should not take any job for money, that's fine if they need the money but professionals that specialize stay on top because they consistently produce great works, that cannot happen if the parts are of inferior quality, I shoot people, I have been approached to shoot dogs, said no, architecture, said no, sports, and events also said no, why?  its not what I do, saying a photographer should take any job that pays is like saying an actor should take any role.  Some roles they will be good in, some they were made for, others they just aren't believable and that hurts them, same in this business.   I am not saying there is anything beneath me in terms of sports, weddings, art, food, etc, just the opposite, there are people who are superior at that and they will produce a better shot then I so I should pass on the offer, and shooting a new model may also fall into that same category at times. Its not about the money its about what I can produce at the end, if the shot will be worthwhile then I would do it, if the shot will be a photographically great shot of a lackluster person, the end result is mediocre at best and that may not be worth the money. 

This is not any reflection on the original poster in fact I have not even checked her link, this is just a response to the statement that a pro photog should take any job that pays.

Stephen Eastwood

Oct 28 06 02:52 pm Link

Photographer

dontaggart photography

Atlantic City, New Jersey, US

NYPHOTOGRAPHICS wrote:
professionals should not take any job for money

Huh?

Oct 28 06 02:57 pm Link

Photographer

NYPHOTOGRAPHICS

taking just any job that pays is like whoring yourself out, is that a better way to explain it?  Pros stay pros by keeping a level of quality to what they do and just cause someone has the money to pay but offers no way to produce the level of quality does not make a good client.  Pros know when to say yes and when to pass. 

I get offers all the time, client calls and wants great beauty shots for an ad, we discuss rates, its way more than they expected, they call back and negotiate, we agree to a price that is fair and then I ask about the model, client says we have no budget for a real model so we will use the owners sister, shes pretty.  I say that is generally not exceptable, but I wold have to see her first, I then recieve some pictures of a older, lady, short, say 5'2 about 140lbs, no experience and no distinguishing characteristics to make her model like in apperance, overall has no way of looking like an beauty ad campaign.  Should I take the job?  I know the end result will be bad, no amount of retouching will make her a supermodel, the ad will look bad, will hurt them and will hurt me, but still they can pay my rate so what do you do?  I pass, some may take it.  I fill the day I would have shot for them with another client with a higher budget and move on.  But thats just me, I don't need the money so bad that I will do lackluster work.  Like I said before this is a general statement not aimed at anyone here.

Stephen Eastwood

Oct 28 06 03:16 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Nathan

Los Angeles, California, US

"You're calling me a sellout? I've been trying to sell out my whole life. Just nobody's been buying til now". 

- Jerry Garcia

Oct 28 06 03:21 pm Link

Photographer

NYPHOTOGRAPHICS

and I am not saying that there is anything wrong with working for money,  just that it is not a "professional's" responsibility or obligation to take any job that pays.

Stephen Eastwood

Oct 28 06 03:26 pm Link

Model

Mayanlee

New City, New York, US

Good answer, Stephen.

Your obligation is only to produce the best work you can. No sense diluting reputation.

Case in point: look what happened with the Wilhelmina name ...

Oct 28 06 03:33 pm Link

Photographer

NYPHOTOGRAPHICS

thankfully someone understands the real world aspects of business practices,  I was beginning to feel that there is no one on the net with any basis in reality. 

Stephen Eastwood

P.S.  I am in no way saying that a new face, a new artist, a new photographer, a new stylist can't be great and produce amazing work, I work with new people all the time, but I should not feel obligated to take any job regardless of whether or not they offer my rate if I feel it is not right for me or I am not right for it.  In fact once it is paying I am now obligated to produce, I would better work with someone new when it is unpaid and if it comes out bad due to no fault of my own then that is what happens and maybe they learn why models are models, and some muas make 1200 a day and some don't can they improve?  maybe will they learn? hopefully.

Oct 28 06 03:38 pm Link