Forums > General Industry > Model rates and demands have driven me nuts

Photographer

Ron Casas Photography

Chapin, South Carolina, US

Bizarre or brilliant, crazy or creative, or  perverse or passionate, sick or superb. As artists we must think outside the box at the drop of a hat. Finding a willing participant is at times not easy to do. I have ideas that may seem strange to some and down right brilliant to others. How to get subjects in front of my lens for shoots that are not so strange is hard enough at times much less for some stuff that is just a bit outside the “norm.” I may have just found a great source of models that is land based and is down right cheep to hire one if they are willing…..lol I live near a College for art and design they have a pool of models used by the students and are only asking $15.00 per hour to model….. That is right $15.00 per hour, I asked the agent will they do nude work and the answer was yes at the same rate….  Holy smokes… Seems like a dream come true but I will see how things work out with these models. I hope things go well with these models. I will never have to even look on the net for some model wanting $100.00 - $150.00 per hr. and rights to use the photos on top of it. These models should be willing to do what some will not do, simply because they are either art students or have worked with art students and I am sure have been asked to do some stuff that is very creative. Why I have not thought of this before now I have not a clue. All things happen in due time I guess.

Oct 27 06 04:04 pm Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

Ron Casas wrote:
Bizarre or brilliant, crazy or creative, or  perverse or passionate, sick or superb..

I like your illiteration.

And don't worry about model rates and demands.  Fish out the ones you'd be happy shooting, and go with that.  Your comparison to college art models and photographers' models is valid, but it is  a fact that photographers' models get paid loads more than artists' models.  That's just the way it works.  [shrug.]  Also, it's old news to the folks here that models demand so much money because photographers have offered/given them that much in the past.

Oct 27 06 04:06 pm Link

Photographer

digital Artform

Los Angeles, California, US

A pirate walks into a bar with a ship's wheel sticking out of his pants.

The bartender says, "Why do you have a ship's wheel sticking out of your pants?"

The pirate replies, "Arrr. I don't know, but it's driving me nuts."

Oct 27 06 04:10 pm Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

digital Artform wrote:

The bartender says, "Why do you have a ship's wheel sticking out of your pants?"

That's always been one of my favorites.
Well, not always.. Just since the first time I heard it.

..Holy crap I almost have 2,000 posts.  sad.

Oct 27 06 04:14 pm Link

Photographer

digital Artform

You'll get another t-shirt soon

Oct 27 06 04:19 pm Link

Photographer

Ron Casas Photography

digital Artform wrote:

Umm I am 41 yrs. old and have never heard that one.... ROFL.... and just about choked on my own saliva....lol

Wynd Mulysa wrote:

And don't worry about model rates and demands.  Fish out the ones you'd be happy shooting, and go with that.  Your comparison to college art models and photographers' models is valid, but it is  a fact that photographers' models get paid loads more than artists' models.  That's just the way it works.  [shrug.]  Also, it's old news to the folks here that models demand so much money because photographers have offered/given them that much in the past.

It may well work for some to pay alot of money for a model, but for me it just does not work that way.

Ron

Oct 27 06 04:23 pm Link

Photographer

Amy J Jones Photography

Fallston, Maryland, US

digital Artform wrote:

that made my night...don't ask me why, it's silly as hell.  smile

Oct 27 06 04:28 pm Link

Photographer

Archived

Phoenix, Arizona, US

classroom models are not necessarily photographer's models.

just because they took a job posing for a classroom of Life Drawing 101 students, are being guaranteed 20hrs/wk @ 15/hr, are working with the director of the art department of the school you know, and maybe even running the circut of all the schools around town...

doesn't mean they'll go to some stranger's place and get naked for photos.

Oct 27 06 04:28 pm Link

Photographer

Rik Austin

Austin, Texas, US

Ron Casas wrote:

digital Artform wrote:

Umm I am 41 yrs. old and have never heard that one.... ROFL.... and just about choked on my own saliva....lol

Ummm-I'm 53 and never heard it.

Oct 27 06 04:33 pm Link

Photographer

Sockpuppet Studios

San Francisco, California, US

Soo after 20 years of photograpahy you are not tallented enough to have models test/work for prints for you? Are your prints not worth a modeling session?

Even the Palo Alto Modeling Guild charges 135.00 hr for nude photographic models.
15.00 ish hour for sketches and drawing models.

I relize you say you may have exotic ideas but holding up a bikini top up, over exposing backgrounds, and a vasiline filter are not exactly earth shattering...

If you want to work in the art feild you have to promote your self as a artist.

Oct 27 06 04:34 pm Link

Photographer

Ron Casas Photography

Dave Wright Photo wrote:
classroom models are not necessarily photographer's models.

just because they took a job posing for a classroom of Life Drawing 101 students, are being guaranteed 20hrs/wk @ 15/hr, are working with the director of the art department of the school you know, and maybe even running the circut of all the schools around town...

doesn't mean they'll go to some stranger's place and get naked for photos.

I shall soon find out if these models will work out for me or not, on the surface it sounds good to me but time will tell. I am stranger than some but not stranger than most…. At least in think this way…lol

Ron

Oct 27 06 04:34 pm Link

Photographer

Ron Casas Photography

Experimental Photoworks wrote:
Soo after 20 years of photograpahy you are not tallented enough to have models test/work for prints for you? Are your prints not worth a modeling session?

Even the Palo Alto Modeling Guild charges 135.00 hr for nude photographic models.

I relize you say you may have exotic ideas but holding up a bikini top up, over exposing backgrounds, and a vasiline filter are not exactly earth shattering...

My 20 yrs. of experience have not all been as a professional, Photography was a hobby for most of that time, and I mainly shot landscapes and still life photographs. I turned to photography as profession only three years ago when my family and I relocated to the east coast. I had been a corrections officer in California prior to the move. I then decided that working with the scum of the earth (and that was just the staff) was no longer what I would like to do for a living. Hope this gives you some insight on my background.

Oct 27 06 04:45 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

I don't get it.

Models have the right to charge whatever they want for their time.  Photographers have the right to decide what, if anything, they are willing the pay.  If these two figures overlap, then perhaps they will work together.  If not, not.

What's the big deal?

One other thought:  sometimes you get what you pay for.

Oct 27 06 05:03 pm Link

Photographer

Sockpuppet Studios

San Francisco, California, US

ahh now that is what needs to be in your portfolio bio....
it is a much better example of your skill, and what you are doing with your photography now.

Try to make your bio more humble than your actual portfolio.

Oct 27 06 05:05 pm Link

Model

Ryan6663

New York, New York, US

What i find funny is most jobs in the "real" modeling world are flat rates, not hourly lol....

Just skip the ones who are obviously clueless and demanding, and hire an agency model.

Oct 27 06 05:21 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
I don't get it.

Models have the right to charge whatever they want for their time.  Photographers have the right to decide what, if anything, they are willing the pay.  If these two figures overlap, then perhaps they will work together.  If not, not.

What's the big deal?

One other thought:  sometimes you get what you pay for.

excellent points.

people have the right to charge and not to charge, and to charge whatever they deem appropriate- and you have the right to say next, and not pay them.

and I'll second, third and fourth: you get what you pay for.

Oct 27 06 05:24 pm Link

Photographer

Miles Chandler

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Just as a caution- I've known a LOT of art college models from my own days there, and most of them would only model for drawings & sculpture- never photographs. No harm in asking, but you might not have much luck.

Oct 27 06 05:24 pm Link

Model

Heidi Van Horne

Ryan6663 wrote:
What i find funny is most jobs in the "real" modeling world are flat rates, not hourly lol....

Just skip the ones who are obviously clueless and demanding, and hire an agency model.

Eek...  don't know what agency you're dealing with.  most "Flat rates" are the girls' full day or half day rate, as figured by their hourly minumum.  Everything I book through my agency is either billed hourly (with a 4 hr. minimum) or paid up to 8 and overtime for anything worked over that.  They may not quote it directly to you like that, but it is based off their hourly rate.

But I do agree with the other stuff ya'll are saying- if you want a pro model, go to an agency.  If you can find girls for $25 that rock, hell yeah!  Good for you!  But don't be surprised if you find you get what you pay for!  wink  Good luck!!

Oct 28 06 12:10 am Link

Model

Heidi Van Horne

and...  p.s.
i thought i was responding to a photographer saying that, not a fellow model.  I see you have nice work and a smart profile (love how simply you explain TFP to those who don't get it!! smile -
I have no idea how you or your agency in NYC works!  Don't take offense!  I've always been paid day rates based on hourly minimums and the only paid gigs that aren't that way usually are the mom and pop company, low $ ones.  Maybe its a West Coast thing, i don't know!  wink

Oct 28 06 12:17 am Link

Photographer

Kas_

Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada

I'm lucky because I have a lot of very very good looking friends, and contacts through people to a lot of different models who work for free, and every time I come on here it seems a new model no experience is posting about not working for less than $200 an hour when they have cellcam shots as their portfolio.

At least it's never boring lol...

Oct 28 06 01:33 am Link

Model

Teri Hofford

Wynd Mulysa wrote:

Do you mean Alliteration?

Oct 28 06 02:11 am Link

Photographer

Star

Ron Casas wrote:
Bizarre or brilliant, crazy or creative, or  perverse or passionate, sick or superb. As artists we must think outside the box at the drop of a hat.

Finding a willing participant is at times not easy to do. I have ideas that may seem strange to some and down right brilliant to others.

How to get subjects in front of my lens for shoots that are not so strange is hard enough at times much less for some stuff that is just a bit outside the “norm.” I may have just found a great source of models that is land based and is down right cheep to hire one if they are willing…..

lol I live near a College for art and design they have a pool of models used by the students and are only asking $15.00 per hour to model….. That is right $15.00 per hour, I asked the agent will they do nude work and the answer was yes at the same rate…. 

Holy smokes… Seems like a dream come true but I will see how things work out with these models. I hope things go well with these models.

I will never have to even look on the net for some model wanting $100.00 - $150.00 per hr. and rights to use the photos on top of it. These models should be willing to do what some will not do, simply because they are either art students or have worked with art students and I am sure have been asked to do some stuff that is very creative.

Why I have not thought of this before now I have not a clue. All things happen in due time I guess.

Have you told them you a photographer, many art models do not model for photography at the same rate as for a class

Oct 28 06 02:13 am Link

Photographer

Ashley Barrett Photo

PLAYA DEL REY, California, US

Experimental Photoworks wrote:

My mind was completely blown by the rudeness of this comment. wow!

those who live in glass houses...

Oct 28 06 03:55 am Link

Photographer

Merlinpix

Farmingdale, New York, US

I pay everyone, you can work at what I offer on not work. Yes, some models have shot for free with me, but it's the exception.

Paul

Oct 28 06 09:54 am Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

Ron Casas wrote:
Bizarre or brilliant, crazy or creative, or  perverse or passionate, sick or superb. As artists we must think outside the box at the drop of a hat. Finding a willing participant is at times not easy to do. I have ideas that may seem strange to some and down right brilliant to others. How to get subjects in front of my lens for shoots that are not so strange is hard enough at times much less for some stuff that is just a bit outside the “norm.” I may have just found a great source of models that is land based and is down right cheep to hire one if they are willing…..lol I live near a College for art and design they have a pool of models used by the students and are only asking $15.00 per hour to model….. That is right $15.00 per hour, I asked the agent will they do nude work and the answer was yes at the same rate….  Holy smokes… Seems like a dream come true but I will see how things work out with these models. I hope things go well with these models. I will never have to even look on the net for some model wanting $100.00 - $150.00 per hr. and rights to use the photos on top of it. These models should be willing to do what some will not do, simply because they are either art students or have worked with art students and I am sure have been asked to do some stuff that is very creative. Why I have not thought of this before now I have not a clue. All things happen in due time I guess.

If you love photography as much as you love models, there will always be something to shoot.

Oct 28 06 10:33 pm Link

Photographer

Phil Edelstein

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I agree with Heidi. Art models are not photographic models. As long as you are content, and you don't confuse the two and turning them such, you are fine.

Oct 28 06 10:39 pm Link

Photographer

San Francisco Nudes

Novato, California, US

I've worked with quite a few models who primarily do modeling at the local art colleges/departments.  Sometimes they find it useful to have a bit of a photographic portfolio just so people can see what they look like in advance and they'll just work with a photographer now and again. Sometimes they're trying it out to see if they want to do more photo modeling.  Generally they're very selective about who they'll work with.

I've also worked with quite a few models who are mostly photographic models but occasionally work for somebody doing drawing, painting, whatever...

Point being, it's not like the two worlds are mutually exclusive.  For all you know all the people in this pool of drawing models that do photography will refer you to their MM numbers!

Oct 29 06 01:47 am Link

Photographer

Allure Vision

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I get models who are dying to shoot with me all the time. What I'd like to know is where are you making your money if your paying the model. Please excuse my ignorance.

Oct 29 06 01:28 am Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

OP must be new on MM...oh, he is.  smile

If you are good enough, go to the land-based modeling agencies.  If they like what you shoot, which means you can provide value for them, you can probably start with shooting their new faces.  And it could be free of charge (yes, free, because some agents do value the creatives).  However, you need to be at a certain competence level (at least technically competent) to get there.

This is the internet, aspirants can ask for any amount of money, it's up to you to pay it or not.  It's the same thing for many people with cameras who don't even know what f-stops are and tell others that they are kicking pros' asses.  It goes both ways.  There are lots of great models and photographers on MM, and there are bunch of aspirants and clueless camera owners.  It's all about the different level of their value proposition.  And there are reasons why no major ad campaign would do casting on the internet, versus going straight to the major agencies.

I guess I am being philosophical again.  smile

Oct 29 06 01:40 am Link