Forums > General Industry > Is Pinup. . .

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

A segway to fetish?  Only asking b/c for whatever reason, unbeknownst to moi, every photographer that shoots pinup seems to shoot fetish.  Retro pinup that is.  Then again. . .is there any other kind of pinup?

Help clear my head por favor.

Oct 27 06 02:22 pm Link

Photographer

RBDesign

North East, Maryland, US

I have no idea what you mean by "segue". I can tell you there are a shared elements and cross over between the two. In fact retro pin-up sort of is a fetish.

RB

Oct 27 06 02:29 pm Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

The great chain of being that starts with Gibson Girls and ends with Betty Page is an oft-traversed one. Vargas did nudes: Betty Page did All-American girl shots. It is a continuum, one that both photographers and subjects move back and forth along. I did bondage shots before I took my first pinup picture: yesterday I did a good-girl pinup shoot with a professional pinup model which involved nothing racier than some truly impressive cleavage and nothing more technical than an old-fashioned brace 'n bit that belonged to my grandfather (I like to think he would have approved) being used to fake drilling a hole into a piece of scrap metal. You needn't worry that being in a picture with a wink and a Hollywood smile will inevitably end up with you bound, gagged, and spanked. Wherever you want to go is where you will end up: just make sure you know before you start out.

M

Oct 27 06 03:01 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

I was trying to say that word that means: lead-in transition.  It's used all the time when you give a speech and go from one topic into another by a connecting sentence. . .ok so I'm using it a tad out of context. . .and I may be horribly misspelling it, but that's what I mean.  Carry on.

Oct 27 06 03:04 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

Thanks Mark

StMarc wrote:
The great chain of being that starts with Gibson Girls and ends with Betty Page is an oft-traversed one. Vargas did nudes: Betty Page did All-American girl shots. It is a continuum, one that both photographers and subjects move back and forth along. I did bondage shots before I took my first pinup picture: yesterday I did a good-girl pinup shoot with a professional pinup model which involved nothing racier than some truly impressive cleavage and nothing more technical than an old-fashioned brace 'n bit that belonged to my grandfather (I like to think he would have approved) being used to fake drilling a hole into a piece of scrap metal. You needn't worry that being in a picture with a wink and a Hollywood smile will inevitably end up with you bound, gagged, and spanked. Wherever you want to go is where you will end up: just make sure you know before you start out.

M

Oct 27 06 03:09 pm Link

Photographer

dgold

Pawtucket, Rhode Island, US

Jayne...I shoot pinup and not fetish.
...for me no segway from one to another.
I love pinup and loathe fetish.
Howard Johnson's offered 27 different flavors of ice cream for a reason.

Oct 27 06 03:13 pm Link

Photographer

Sockpuppet Studios

San Francisco, California, US

nah I skipped that grade Jayne I went straight into had core bondage photos....

*hugs*

Oct 27 06 03:58 pm Link

Photographer

digital Artform

Los Angeles, California, US

It's a gateway drug, yes.

Oct 27 06 04:01 pm Link

Photographer

digital Artform

The thing about fetish is that it is primarily - as far as I'm concerned, anyway - about drama and interesting images and costumes - and so is pin-up, really.

Oct 27 06 04:03 pm Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Pin up is just glamour for artistic types.

Consider it  "A History Of..."

Oct 27 06 04:04 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

dgold wrote:
Jayne...I shoot pinup and not fetish.
...for me no segway from one to another.
I love pinup and loathe fetish.
Howard Johnson's offered 27 different flavors of ice cream for a reason.

By the same token I shoot fetish and not pinup.  I don't find pinup interesting personally, though i make a point of understanding the traditions behind it.  Jayne, where did you get this idea that fetish and pinup are even remotely similar?

Oct 27 06 04:31 pm Link

Photographer

Darkroomist

Saginaw, Michigan, US

I don't shoot fetish.  I don't particularly mind some of it, it's just not that interesting to me.  Some fetish kind of creeps me out.  The word fetish encompasses so much it's kind of hard to nail down.  There are foot fetishes which do nothing for me, but a woman in shiny black latex is kind of hot.  I blame the latter on Carrie Anne Moss and The Matrix.  Tied up women, eh.  Gimp masks, eww!  To each their own.

-James

Oct 27 06 04:42 pm Link

Photographer

CJ - Our Place Studios

GUILDERLAND, New York, US

I think that's the beauty of pinup: it can be All-American, girl next door types like Elvgrin, or sexy sultry like Vargas, naughty but accessible like Betty Page, or go even deeper into bondage, retro, etc.  That's why pinup is timeless.

Oct 27 06 04:48 pm Link

Model

Mistriss de morte

Wilmington, Delaware, US

yeah! there's classic pin-up too. red lips, dark eyeline, hair up, a pencil skirt and some kind of showing cleavage shirt.
then either boots, pumps or sexy sandals.
thats what i call classic pin-up.
or the ones they did for the soldiers.

-Miss Beth

Oct 27 06 04:58 pm Link

Photographer

C00P

Anaheim, California, US

I think "Pin Up" has become a very broad term.  The style I'm most interested in is based in Varga, Elvgren, Petty, etc. where I try to blur the line between photograph and drawing. 

There's another area of Pin Up where people emulate photographic styles from the era.  I see that referred to a lot as Retro.  Both take a lot of work and a good team to pull off well, which is part of why I like the challenge.

Others still consider Maxim/FHM Pin Up, but to me that's more of a glam thing.

Oct 28 06 01:55 am Link

Photographer

Archived

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Some people file garter belts and stockings under "fetish" - some use them in a more historical context, to illustrate a time when they were commonly worn.

There's your overlap.

A photographer who puts a girl in an old car and an army uniform, with stockings and garters is shooting "Retro" - but if she's in the middle of a city street smoking a cigarette topless, it's "Fetish." I browse the photography on deviantart.com occasionally, and it's funny how anything with thigh-highs is labeled "Fetish" - but they're labeled by the artist, so who knows.

Oct 28 06 02:42 am Link

Photographer

timothy dolph creative

Encinitas, California, US

Yea... I shoot both. Often

https://img2.modelmayhem.com/051031/06/4366528f27da0.jpg

https://img2.modelmayhem.com/050422/08/4268fdb4caa42.jpg

Oct 28 06 03:34 am Link

Model

Susi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Yes, Tim, but you don't just shoot both, often...you shoot both, often WELL.  And that, is why you rock:-)

Oct 28 06 08:22 am Link

Photographer

Kilmer Photography

Boothwyn, Pennsylvania, US

Yeah Tim rocks.. oh, and for the record, Bettie also did plenty of bondage and fetish work..she wasn't all that innocent, but she was uninhibited.

Spike

Oct 28 06 11:57 am Link

Photographer

Jeff Cohn

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I shoot both.

I came from the Goth/industrial scene.. where both Fetish and Pinup are extremly popular.  There's a lot of crossover.

Blame bettie page or dita von teese.

Jeff

Oct 28 06 12:34 pm Link

Photographer

InnerGlow Studios

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Jayne Jones wrote:
A segway to fetish?  Only asking b/c for whatever reason, unbeknownst to moi, every photographer that shoots pinup seems to shoot fetish.  Retro pinup that is.  Then again. . .is there any other kind of pinup?

Help clear my head por favor.

I shoot "retro" pin-up (by which I mean the eras circa 1940's & 1950's) but no fetish whatsoever.

I think there are quite a bit of fetish themes shot within the retro pin-up genre, but I don't believe that one has to include the other.

My 2¢

Oct 28 06 01:24 pm Link

Photographer

groupw

Maricopa, Arizona, US

I try to emulate the pinup style of the 40s and 50s ---both the photographic and drawn styles. Is some of my stuff "fetish"? I don't know. Maybe.

The problem comes with trying to pigeonhole certain styles. One person's glam may be the next person's pinup. You say tomato. I say tuhmahto....

Oct 28 06 06:08 pm Link

Model

jade83

Columbia, Missouri, US

...I don't know...I did some "retro Hollywood" pinup shots, cause I like the look of light that's soft around the edges and off-the-shoulder feathery boa.

Oct 28 06 09:09 pm Link

Photographer

timothy dolph creative

Encinitas, California, US

Susi wrote:
Yes, Tim, but you don't just shoot both, often...you shoot both, often WELL.  And that, is why you rock:-)

You're so sweet.  Ya know the photo of you on the washing machine is still one of the most talked about shot that I have made to date.  And it even became a billboard in Abiza, Spain.  That still makes me laugh.

Cheers

Oct 30 06 07:40 am Link

Model

Samantha Grace

When you think about it a lot of pin-up's wore what is considered clothing fans of fetish love... Nylon stockings,high heels, bullet bra's, and girdles.
Even most modern fetish, draws from classic ideas. Since, most retro wear to this day is considered sexy, and a huge turn on.

I wear retro styles daily, I get a huge reaction because people to this day see the classic look as most desireble and sexy. One can almost call retro a fetish in itself.

A lot of photographers and models at one point found images of Bettie Page. Bettie didn't only shoot the cute cheese cake and bikini. But the bulk of her work was fetish and BDSM. Half of her fetish work was trashed, when the feds were cracking down on the adult business. People didn't want to go to jail, so they burned it. Bettie also made her money shooting fetish, like a bulk of the retro models today. Most girls do not make much as a glamourous pin-up. But as a fetish goddess.

Burlesque is also very popular at fetishballs, since fans of fetish really love corsets and nylons. It's a different take on the more edgy shows like Rubber Dolls.

Edit- I noticed a few said retro wasn't racy, and most seem to be thinking of cheesecake. But a lot of cheese has nudity. Most of the time the lady is in something sheer, or is nude. I am a collector of girlie magazines, fetish, and erotica from the 1930's-1950's. Fetish is heavly displayed, nudity it was there then too. It's not as innocent as most people think it was.
Exortic is more mainstream then it was then. So, few people then were open about viewing it, compared to now. So, more of it is lost, forgotten, or thrown away.

Oct 30 06 12:16 pm Link

Photographer

David Scott

Marion, Iowa, US

Segway!

https://www.cyril.redhummer.com/Segway/Segway%20004.jpg

wink

Oct 30 06 12:18 pm Link

Photographer

Searcher

New York, New York, US

Everything is a fetish to someone.