Forums > General Industry > Please clarify Fashion, Editorial, Glamour etc...

Photographer

Scott Ramsay Images

Austin, Texas, US

I have seen a million photographer's websites and many have thier ports broken down into specific genre's.  But...one photog's port of "Editorial" doesn't look like another's.  Anyone out there want to clarify what "they think" are the main genre's and what the content of each should be? I think swimsuit/lingerie pretty much sums up those.  But what about:

Fashion
Glamour
Editorial
Commercial
Lifestyle

It is hard for me to break out my catagories as I am about to rebuild my website.  So do I take every shot of a man or women in nice clothes and put them in Fashion?  Or is that cute girl that looks like she belongs in a JC Penny catalog Lifestyle or Editorial?

I look forward to ALL input.

Cheers,

Scott

Oct 26 06 01:11 pm Link

Photographer

Yuriy

Gillette, New Jersey, US

Ramucci Studios wrote:
Fashion
Glamour
Editorial
Commercial
Lifestyle

How I see it:

Fashion - Showing off the clothes in a non-catalog shoot (by that I mean without photographing only the clothes themselves as in commercial product work). Uses models but does not highlight the model (usually).

Glamour - Beauty photography. Usually of a sexual or sensual nature that is meant to arouse or show off the subject's beauty.

Editorial - Something that is used to illustrate an article or tell a story. Photojournalism (actual photojournalism and not the style of portraiture or wedding photography) falls under this category.

Commercial - Usually something used to sell a product. Usually features the product or purposely withholds the product but has some connection to the product. Really big field and is hard to define in it of itself since it has many subcategories.

Lifestyle - Usually showing a person's or persons' lifestyles(s). Really popular for stock photography and can also be used in commercial, editorial, and other types of photography. I have mainly seen this category used to show stock and not having its own separate section in a portfolio.

If I left something out or someone disagrees please let me know (here).

Oct 26 06 01:32 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

I would debate the definition given of each of these quite a bit, most particularly fashion, lifestyle, and editorial, but each would frankly require its own seperate thread or long-ass missive and I'm just not quite up to it. Intentions were good, though.

Frankly, the only real reason to categorize work in one's portfolio or website is to target certain specific clients and audiences with which image collection you want them to see. Categorization for categorization's sake is pretty useless and I think generally a bad thing. Further, a given image or series might well fit into more than one book you'd hand to a given client or audience. There are fashion images I would show to art directors that I wouldn't show to model agencies, and there are images I would show to both. I might show one a certain lifestyle series that I might not show to the other, and so on.

In other words, this categorization only serves a purpose if it's serving a purpose. Follow? Further, if you know your specific purpose for showing certain images to certain clients/audiences, that goes a long way to answering all your questions as far as this goes.

Oct 26 06 02:00 pm Link