Forums > General Industry > Look at this Photographer Job I saw on Craigslist

Artist/Painter

Photosculpt

Ocean City, Maryland, US

Let's look at this ad for moment.  This person is representing Wikipedia or a sister company thereof.  Why is his/her email addy a gmail account and not a Wikipedia email account?  I would think with the resources Wikipedia has available to them the last place they would be placing an ad for something of this importance would be Craigslist.  I dunno, I may be wrong, but something does not smell right.  Then again, maybe I should not eat onions anymore.  Carry-on.

Oct 26 06 12:24 pm Link

Photographer

removed member

this is what hes going to look like.....

https://augustachronicle.com/images/headlines/022805/oscar_awards/OSCARS3.jpg

or.....even better.........

https://kalyanvarma.net/photography/images/monkeys_in_cage_142.jpg

Oct 26 06 12:24 pm Link

Photographer

Summa Ope Photography

Mebane, North Carolina, US

"This is WikiNews, not Wikipedia, so I'm guessing they have zero budget. (reach not among top 100,000 according to Alexa)"

The ad actually says that they are hiring for the Wikimedia Foundation, so I would bet that there is a budget coming down from the top if this is for real (which I still doubt).

"The contact point from the ad appears in WikiNews as an accredited user. I suppose an imposter could post an ad with his email in the text, but why?"

Because people are stupid and like to see how many other people they can fool.

"I like the line from the ad:

"Your sole responsibilities are:
    - Showing up with a decent camera.
- Shouting every so often a celebrities.
    - Uploading the photos (which we keep the copyright of)."

Shouting or shooting, maybe both?

I'm curious if WikiNews is really granted press credentials for the Oscars, maybe it's from the bleacher seats...

"

Excellent point.  If they have to hire someone like this, you probably aren't exactly going to get preferential treatment.

Oct 26 06 12:26 pm Link

Model

Mitsukai

Walnut Creek, California, US

I'm pretty sure I'd go and take the pictures, but when it came to uploading them I'd try to sell them to someone else instead.

Oct 26 06 12:29 pm Link

Photographer

FosbreStudios

Medford, New Jersey, US

No one is even going to get that photog job from that posting from craig's list anyway.......

Move on.

Oct 26 06 12:32 pm Link

Photographer

Photocraft

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

jason messer wrote:

Note the one guy in the back with the umbrella, heh heh.

Oct 26 06 12:37 pm Link

Photographer

San Francisco, California, US

I liked the 'debate' about banding together and the plumber analogy, but there is something missing here. Photography sometimes isn't just a business, but can also be an art form. And as such need not be subjected to the same rules of capitalism.

If pros are so worried that amateurs might take away their business then they should compete by taking better photos, not trying to exclude anyone by creating an us/them mentality.

If someone wants to take photos for a good cause, or any cause, then why would that in any way erode the business of the professionals? It either means the amateurs can do just a good job or better images are not valued. The only way to change the latter is to increase art appreciation, invest in education programs that value art above gladiator sports... We're back to Wikipedia now...

Oct 26 06 12:48 pm Link

Photographer

Images by Yancy

Roseville, California, US

Daren wrote:
I liked the 'debate' about banding together and the plumber analogy, but there is something missing here. Photography sometimes isn't just a business, but can also be an art form. And as such need not be subjected to the same rules of capitalism.

If pros are so worried that amateurs might take away their business then they should compete by taking better photos, not trying to exclude anyone by creating an us/them mentality.

If someone wants to take photos for a good cause, or any cause, then why would that in any way erode the business of the professionals? It either means the amateurs can do just a good job or better images are not valued. The only way to change the latter is to increase art appreciation, invest in education programs that value art above gladiator sports... We're back to Wikipedia now...

Well said.

You know, it sounds like they're trying to give someone who would never have a shot at something like this a unique opportunity.

If it's legit.

Oct 26 06 01:09 pm Link

Photographer

Scribe of Souls

Bonner Springs, Kansas, US

TorchGlow wrote:

This is WikiNews, not Wikipedia, so I'm guessing they have zero budget. (reach not among top 100,000 according to Alexa)
The contact point from the ad appears in WikiNews as an accredited user. I suppose an imposter could post an ad with his email in the text, but why?

I like the line from the ad:

"Your sole responsibilities are:
    - Showing up with a decent camera.
- Shouting every so often a celebrities.
    - Uploading the photos (which we keep the copyright of)."

Shouting or shooting, maybe both?

I'm curious if WikiNews is really granted press credentials for the Oscars, maybe it's from the bleacher seats...

Sounds to me like a news reporter who is getting paid to cover the gig and is supposed to provide the photographer for his article, who is trying to get something for nothing...namely a photographer who is starstruck and dreams of glory.  Also he probably feels the photographer who would want to do it may be just hungry and aggressive enough for fame themselves, to break a lot of the rules to get that "once in a lifetime shot".  Then the news guy gets the money and the photographer get the fame.

Oct 26 06 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

The German Woman

Berlin, Georgia, US

digital Artform wrote:
Oscars red carpet? Pretty cool gig for whoever gets it

Sounds like a shitty gig to me. You stand there all day getting pushed around by the other photographers that work for getty, wireimage and so on..you're not even getting paid for this. And it doesn't even sound like you'd get your foot in the door for future projects. I'm all for jobs that get you exposure and photocredits. but this just sounds like a one way street that leads to nowhere.

Oct 26 06 01:18 pm Link

Photographer

johnkphotography

New York, New York, US

Daren wrote:

The commercial photography business and the fine art business are two completely seperate businesses.  In fact, they focus on selling different things entirely.  The fine art business relies on selling prints and getting grants to survive.  The commercial industry relies on selling photography services. 

Its not that pros are worried that amateurs will take away their business, its that amateurs have already taken away a large piece of the photo-industry.  Many low end clients do not understand the value of hiring a professional photographer.  In the past it was up to photographers to educate the client about why they should use a professional.  Now the client just posts on Craigslist and never learns about it.  In the end both the client and the photographer lose.  The photographer gets little to no compensation and the client makes their brand look unprofessional because their images are clearly unprofessional. 

Those who rely on other sources of income and can therefore give away their services are obviously a threat to those who earn their income from photography, as they can lose money on every single job but continue to take jobs because they are not actually running a business.  What this has meant for the industry is that the low end of the market has disappeared, eliminating a sizeable portion of the total market.  Im sure many of you dont care as you are hobbiests on here to connect with models or share pictures, but to professionals it does matter.  In the end my business is not affected because I market to a different market segment, but I recognize that it is a shame to lose a whole portion of the market to hobbiests.  Further, as a result of people giving away services and being unaware of the business practices in photography, we now have a great many clients who are trying to dismantel the usage model and a congress who is trying to steal the copyrights with The Copyright Modernazation Act of 2006.  You dont want me to show up at your work and tell your boss that I will do your job for free and I dont want you showing up at my work and doing the same.

Oct 26 06 01:35 pm Link

Photographer

ttbrown photography

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

johnkphotography wrote:

You cant be serious!  This is a terrible deal.  You get nothing, they get the copyright and you take the job away from a shooter who would be paid a semi-livable wage otherwise.  I know this sounds like great exposure for amateurs, but its a sad reminder to profesionals about the bullshit that companies are trying to pull.  I think Wikepedia can come up with the $500 day rate for a professional photographer.  I hope they get what they pay for; which is nothing.

Oct 26 06 02:30 pm Link

Photographer

ttbrown photography

John K nailed it... this stinks...sounds European...

Oct 26 06 02:32 pm Link

Photographer

The German Woman

Berlin, Georgia, US

Toohey Brown Photograph wrote:
.. this stinks...sounds European...

what??????????

Oct 26 06 02:33 pm Link

Photographer

ttbrown photography

Mitsukai wrote:
I'm pretty sure I'd go and take the pictures, but when it came to uploading them I'd try to sell them to someone else instead. [/quote 

That would be as sleazy as the original post...

Oct 26 06 02:34 pm Link

Photographer

ttbrown photography

Annique Delphine wrote:

what??????????

Europen publications pay people to find discarded or pirateable images that are "B" pile photos...these they find acceptable for their readership...

Oct 26 06 02:36 pm Link

Photographer

The German Woman

Berlin, Georgia, US

Europen publications pay people to find discarded or pirateable images that are "B" pile photos...these they find acceptable for their readership...

No way Jose

Oct 26 06 02:39 pm Link

Model

Kali Doom

Nashville, Arkansas, US

I like how they call it a contest.

Oct 26 06 02:42 pm Link

Photographer

ttbrown photography

Annique Delphine wrote:

No way Jose [/quot   

Si...at events where film images are processed and given right back to the photographers (pro tennis, golf, etc.), the shooter will fast forward through their stack of images and throw out all but the very best. Kids would then dive into the trash can and pull them out, then turn them over to a rag European mag rep...ask Arnoldo Magnani, famous Milanese papparazzo. Ciao, baby

Oct 26 06 02:46 pm Link

Photographer

CW Sr

Columbus, Ohio, US

Doesn't really matter how pissed any of you get. Someone will bite and they will get what they want regardless of your pointless bickering... They can do it because they can. Corp BS.

Oct 26 06 02:46 pm Link

Photographer

ttbrown photography

Kali Doom wrote:
I like how they call it a contest.

That should tell us something...good work you have...

Oct 26 06 02:48 pm Link

Photographer

RAW-R IMAGE

Los Angeles, California, US

Those who wanna do it--DO IT!! Those who dont--DONT!!

I'm gonna go play Halo and take out my aggressions there!!

Oct 26 06 02:48 pm Link

Photographer

The German Woman

Berlin, Georgia, US

Si...at events where film images are processed and given right back to the photographers (pro tennis, golf, etc.), the shooter will fast forward through their stack of images and throw out all but the very best. Kids would then dive into the trash can and pull them out, then turn them over to a rag European mag rep...ask Arnoldo Magnani, famous Milanese papparazzo. Ciao, baby

Bene...got it. I agree then. This sounds so euro..like totally

Oct 26 06 02:49 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Kirst

The key is to get to the bottom of this ad.

I have read everyones input on this matter and there have been some good points. I e-mailed the Craigslist OP and am waiting to get some more information such as the points listed by several people here. If it truly is a "from the bleachers" with the masses, then, it's not worth a damn. Not for free anyway and I don't even think I would want to do that for anything less than my full day rate plus maybe a small percentage on top of that. Just doesn't appeal to me.

However, if you do get actual carpet access, you will be taking pictures of celebs and we all know that they're fair game for the lens for use on say... our websites. Might be interesting. Nobody said you have to give Wiki-news ALL the pics from the upload... right? And all in all... you could chalk it up to the likeness of say.. a tfp type of shoot. Hey if you have the time? You will be on the red carpet. When will you get a chance like that? But that's only IF you get that access of course!

Anyway I will try to get some more info from the poster and feed it back into this thread.

MK

Oct 26 06 02:53 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Kirst

jason messer wrote:

This is a great picture by the way. Look at the clown brownnosing Hoffman while everyone else is actually doing there job. He looks as though he is about to bust a nut! He probably just made some whitty little humorous comment about whoever is on stage and out of frame, to Hoffman who didn't even bother to look in his direction but give that empathetic "yeah yeah kid" courtesy laugh.

He's probably hoping Hoffman will turn to him (and actually pay any attention to him) and say something like.... "So kid, do you do any celeb portraiture?" Yeah right.

LOL... just an observation. And yes... I love that some dingleberry brought an umbrella with what looks like a single strobe setup!! He musta knew he would be at the back of the bus.... Ha

Oct 26 06 03:01 pm Link

Photographer

Images by Yancy

Roseville, California, US

I made an inquiry and this was the reply:

"To explain the statement that "we keep the copyright of" the photos, we will actually release the rights to the photo under a free license, likely GFDL or CC-BY, which lets people use the images for free."

Oct 26 06 03:04 pm Link

Photographer

digital Artform

exactly -

creative commons.

You'll miss it when it's gone.

Oct 26 06 03:19 pm Link

Photographer

removed member

Michael Kirst wrote:

This is a great picture by the way. Look at the clown brownnosing Hoffman while everyone else is actually doing there job. He looks as though he is about to bust a nut! He probably just made some whitty little humorous comment about whoever is on stage and out of frame, to Hoffman who didn't even bother to look in his direction but give that empathetic "yeah yeah kid" courtesy laugh.

He's probably hoping Hoffman will turn to him (and actually pay any attention to him) and say something like.... "So kid, do you do any celeb portraiture?" Yeah right.

LOL... just an observation. And yes... I love that some dingleberry brought an umbrella with what looks like a single strobe setup!! He musta knew he would be at the back of the bus.... Ha

eh...im thinking the opposite.  dustin hoffman made the comment.  it looks like the photographer is REACTING to him.  just my take.  all the guys are there shooting.  not even paying attention to dustin hoffman right there close to them.  why?  becuase they are after the shots that WILL GET THEM PAID.

and as for the umbrella.... notice the same guy youre bagging on talking to dustin hoffman.  see the thing on top of his camera?  thats a pocket wizard.  and the strobe just might be his. so instead of straight on harsh light from an oncamera flash.  hes getting softer, more broad light from his strobe. 

use your head.

Oct 26 06 03:41 pm Link

Photographer

Big Jim Slade

Arlington, Virginia, US

johnkphotography wrote:
You cant be serious!  This is a terrible deal.  You get nothing, they get the copyright and you take the job away from a shooter who would be paid a semi-livable wage otherwise.  I know this sounds like great exposure for amateurs, but its a sad reminder to profesionals about the bullshit that companies are trying to pull.  I think Wikepedia can come up with the $500 day rate for a professional photographer.  I hope they get what they pay for; which is nothing.

This post, and several like it show the paradign shift that is occurring in the media industry.  I don't disagree that this photographer is or any other has a right to be paid for their work.  But the comment shows a lack of understanding of the paradigm shift that is occurring.

Wikipedia specifically as it's primary purpose wants to collect new content it can hold the copyright on without paying for it.  It wants to then provide this content to people who otherwise would be required to buy content from created by people who were paid a semi-livable wage.

So, yes, you understand exactly what is going on.  And you see around you that some people embrace this ususrping of your presumed right to own and profit from intellectual property.  While you say no to this offer, about 65,000 others have said yes to giving their content to Wikipedia.

Based on a web search I did, Wikipedia's last year budget was about $750K.  They sell no product or service, nor do they accept any advertising.  It's purely a philantropic venture that exists only due to donations.  But with such a small annula budget, it is reaonable to accept that they literally do not have the budget for $500/day for a photographer.

So they have offerred to do TFP with a willing photographer.  Just say you don't do TFP and ignore them.  The TFP has a clause that allows them to have copyright on the pictures (such as a work for hire clause).  In exchange the photographer gets press credentials as well as credentials from the organization doing the show.  He gets (camera) face time with a large number of celebreties and gets published in an international publication that has incredibly high readership.  And he gets photo credits for this.  It sounds like good TFP to me.

But yes, the business model is for the contributor (photographer) to do the work for free and give up copyright.  And it is becoming very successful.  Existing photographers will adjust or die.  Sort of like dollar a minute long distance rates.

Oct 26 06 04:37 pm Link

Photographer

Ryan OHoro

New York, New York, US

Rossi Photography wrote:
Sounds like a cool gig and all but...

"Compensation: None, but you will be credited with every photo permanently on one of the world's top sites."

You'd think one of the world's top site's would be able to pay something.

Well wikipedia is part of a non-profit organization.

Oct 26 06 04:44 pm Link

Model

Holly Dell

While I agree photography is a business and the photographers, models, mua, hair stylists, wardrobe stylists, fashion designers, etc. etc etc should ALL be PAID, sometimes it is can be worth it to work for "free."  Typically that means you are gaining something worth more than money for your time, especially if you are still building your portfolio or learning a new trick or simply donating time instead of money to a charity.  For those of you who are professionals, do stay business focused and try not to let the hobbyists get to you. 

I love how no one has actually pulled up the research for this posting and all claim that Wikipedia has so much money to spend.  Take a look at this:

http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Finance_report
“
Budget vs Actual analysis for Q1 and Q2
    Budget    Actual    Difference    Breakdown
fixed asset    Hardware    $150,000.00    $92,482.71    -$57,517.29    Colo ($92,143.37) and Office ($339.34)
expense    Hosting    $32,000.00    $32,246.99    $246.99   
expense    Travel    $10,000.00    $16,536.81    $6,536.81   
expense    Domain names    $1,000.00    $1,899.99    $899.99   
expense    Office expenses    $5,000.00    $3,902.94    -$1,097.06    shipping ($285.41), supplies ($985.58), rent ($2631.95)
expense    Miscellaneous    $2,000.00    $1,692.20    -$307.80    bank fees ($83.71), Corp/Legal ($598), CC fees ($1010.49)
expense    Developer contract    $16,000.00    $15,000.00    -$1,000.00   
expense    Hardware assistant    $3,000.00    $1,930.00    -$1,070.00   
expense    Promo/Fundraising    $1,000.00    $10,254.43    $9,254.43    Promo/WikiReaders ($4019.07) and PayPal fees ($6235.36)
    TOTAL    $220,000.00    $175,946.07    -$44,053.93   

expense    Depreciation (non-cash item)    $48,068.28       

Total Expense    $131,531.64   

Income   
    Wikimania tickets        6,320.95   
    CafePress Commissions    1,717.80   
    Credit Card Service        1.00   
    MoneyBookers Donations    1,115.75   
    Other Donations        122,378.66   
    PayPal Donations        120,695.96   
    Foreign Exchange Gain    -2,582.76   
    Interest Income        115.04   
    TOTAL        249,762.40   

Net Income:    $118,230.76                           
“

Also, whoever said that the “employees” get paid doesn’t seem to understand how Wikipedia works…I saw a documentary on Wikipedia and remember hearing that even the moderators do it for FREE.  See:
http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Main_Page
“About Wikinews

A Wikimedia project
We are a group of volunteers whose mission is to present reliable, unbiased, relevant and entertaining News.
All content is released under a free license. By making our content perpetually available for free redistribution and use, we hope to contribute to a global digital commons.
Wikinews stories are written from a neutral point of view to ensure fair and unbaised reporting.
Wikinews needs you! We want to create a diverse community of citizens from around the globe who collaborate to report on a wide variety of current events.
To contribute to Wikinews reporting, read an Introduction to Wikinews and visit the Newsroom.”

Does this help to clarify WHY they are NOT offering to pay photographers like a normal newspaper or magazine would?  It is because they want knowledge and information to be a free domain.  Remember in the really old, old days when girls couldn’t even go to school (oh wait there are still some countries that are just now changing that)…anyway, when college was impossible to attend if you were poor (wait again, still not entirely changed)…well, I would feel that this could be a good thing.  Of course our teachers are under paid and that brings up a whole another debate subplot, but I just wanted to point out, that while the professional photographers complain about how they are not getting paid their true value, because companies try to treat them like they aren't worth a piece of the financial pie, Wikipedia’s pie may not be as big as you all were thinking!

Those of you interested in jobs like these should see them for what they are and either take your chances or not...media jobs (paparazzi, etc.) don't really pay "full day rates" as I understand anyway...I believe they pay PER picture purchased, which means photos sold to a gossip magazine may be worth more than your day rate or you may not sell any at all.  Maybe they pay a base too for your time?  Anyway, again stay professional!

Oct 26 06 04:49 pm Link

Photographer

Steven Starr

Fort Mill, South Carolina, US

OK great!  I have a new magazine and I am going to donate all the procedes to childrens literacy.  I want everyone to "donate" all their time and efforts to support my "nude" magazine. 

Now...how many of you jump at that?

If you are not a good photographer or need experience (aka amautuer)..you'll do things for free.  But, if you are in this "and it is your living" you are not.  Furthermore, for them to "get" the copyright you aren't really doing TFP are you?  You can't post the images if they own the copyrights...so you get nothing.

This argument can go on for days....plus if it is a business...which it is...they have money.  Nobody goes into business (yes, even non-profits) not to make money.  They all do.  So please don't tell me they can't afford "anything" for a photographers time. 

They are going cheap..end of story.  The least they could do it pay for gas and lunch....lol

Oct 26 06 04:56 pm Link

Photographer

Kilili

Los Gatos, California, US

Holly D wrote:
I love how no one has actually pulled up the research for this posting and all claim that Wikipedia has so much money to spend.

Yeah, well I did, and I use wikipedia all the time.  I appreciate the work they do, and wrote saying I'd be glad to photograph this.  They don't so much retain copyright as put it in the public domain.

I would dearly love to get paid for something like this.  Photography is my only source of income.  So many people just take, and don't think about giving back.

Ken

Oct 27 06 05:35 am Link

Photographer

afterdarc studios

San Diego, California, US

i hate red carpets.  red carpets suck

Oct 27 06 05:54 am Link

Model

Alli Michelle

Miami, Florida, US

lotusphoto wrote:

you said it gooder than me..

i'm a carpenter and work off of craigslist, i no longer give free estimates, i tell people, i'l show up to work, but i dont give advise, i found someone called me, as well as 3 other carpenters and asked how we'd do the job, then the went to home depot and used our knowledge so they could hire a day laborer..

craigslist is cool, but half the people who go their are looking for free when they could be paying their share

gooder isn't a word

Oct 27 06 05:59 am Link

Photographer

D Magi Visual Concepts

Can you say, "Emancipation Proclamation"?

Oct 27 06 06:03 am Link

Photographer

Larry Brown Camera

Atlantic Beach, Florida, US

The problem here is the photographers ego....... This type of scam feeds off of that. I have one policy "C&C"  Cash & Credit.  As for "Good will"..... I will help a guy with a leaky roof.... ask me to pick up my camera and you can start writing a check! Only then will others give you the respect that a true professional deserves.  A good deal you say..... it's not even a "deal"!

Oct 27 06 06:04 am Link

Photographer

Michael Fryd

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Has anybody checked to see if the post is for real?

Even if it is, you won't be ON the red carpet.  At best you will be NEXT to the red carpet.  The only photographers actually allowed on the red carpet are working directly for AMPAS (Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences).

The red carpet is split down the middle.  Celebrities walk on the left side, non celebrities walk down the right.  The non-celebrity side has bleachers filled with members of the public (they use a lottery system to give out the tickets). 

Next to the celebrity side are risers for the accredited press, many of whom will be shooting video.  Given the right credentials you'll get a spot on a riser.

If you are a real news outlet, and on a budget, you don't need to send anyone.  AMPAS will supply you with images at little or no cost.

You can find more information at http://www.oscars.org/

Security is very tight at this event.  You will not get near the red carpet without appropriate credentials.  Credentials must be approved long in advance, and credentials are approved for specific individuals.  When you arrive you will need to show acceptable ID.

There is not enough room to accommodate all the photographers that want to be on the red carpet.  I would double check to see if this post is for real before I got my hopes up.

Oct 27 06 08:47 am Link