Forums > General Industry > I'm a little disappointed

Photographer

The German Woman

Berlin, Georgia, US

So I'm new to MM and I've been browsing Model's profiles for a couple days now. And I keep reading on most of these girl's pages that they're not willing to do TFCD or TFP shoots because "it's too time consuming" or they're only doing paid jobs "from now". And it kind of turns me off a bit.

I was a model for 10 years. I did runway for big designers, I did campaigns and tv commercials and lots of print work for magazines and I still did the occasional free test. I think models should always be testing when they are still starting out. I mean I look at these girl's pages and they have done a couple of photoshoots and they think they're done with the testing and they can move on to paid jobs only. I understand that they want to move up in this industry but I think testing is an important part of that.

I personally prefer to shoot models that I know. So I know their vibe and I know we work well together. So when I shoot a big job that's paid for by the client I want to have a model I can make some magic with. So usually I will book a model I have tested with before.

Oct 25 06 02:48 pm Link

Model

Loretta Lightningbolt

DEVILS ELBOW, Missouri, US

Agreed.

Oct 25 06 02:49 pm Link

Model

Seth Mitchell

Long Beach, California, US

Double Agreed.

Paid work is great, but as a model you also need to keep the sword sharp and testing is the best way to do it (plus build your network).

Oct 25 06 02:53 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

*YAWN*

Sorry, but for some people, they just prefer to be paid, and that's perfectly fine.  It is also perfectly fine for a photographer to decide that they don't want to pay a particular model.

Is it wrong for a model to want to get paid?  No.  Is it wrong for a model to ask to get paid?  No.

Is it wrong for a photographer not to pay her/his models?  No. 

Agreements between models & photographers are negotiations, and sometimes an agreement cannot be reached.  That's no big deal -- that's business.

So, what's the big hairy deal?  What's the point in coming to this forum & ragging on models who want to get paid?  The truth is this...
   Their careers may or may not be impacted by their decisions, and
   The models may or may not be smart enough to recognize these impacts.

Oct 25 06 03:11 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Macan

HAVERTOWN, Pennsylvania, US

In my experience most MM models will do TFP if the photographer or concept is good.
The list of demands seems to be designed to wean out the undesirables.
(Or at least to get some cash from them)

Oct 25 06 03:13 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
*YAWN*

Sorry, but for some people, they just prefer to be paid, and that's perfectly fine.  It is also perfectly fine for a photographer to decide that they don't want to pay a particular model.

Is it wrong for a model to want to get paid?  No.  Is it wrong for a model to ask to get paid?  No.

Is it wrong for a photographer not to pay her/his models?  No. 

Agreements between models & photographers are negotiations, and sometimes an agreement cannot be reached.  That's no big deal -- that's business.

So, what's the big hairy deal?  What's the point in coming to this forum & ragging on models who want to get paid?  The truth is this...

Ding ding ding!

(this topic looks familiar)

Oct 25 06 03:17 pm Link

Photographer

The German Woman

Berlin, Georgia, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
*YAWN*

There is no Hairy big deal. If there was my headline would have stated 'hairy big deal'.

You make a good point about the impact and I thank you for that. I don't thank you for the yawn.
After more than 1000 posts I'm sure you've had your share of complaining phtotographer threads and you're over it. But with people signing up on MM every day threads are going to be repeatedly posted.

Oct 25 06 03:18 pm Link

Photographer

Amy J Jones Photography

Fallston, Maryland, US

Agreed as well.  Models, as well as photographers should test for something new, different, for fun and practice.  I've been shooting professionally for almost 25 years and I still love to test when there is something I want for myself. 
I am far more likely to hire a model for a job that I have worked with before.

Oct 25 06 03:20 pm Link

Model

Uber Dami

New Haven, Connecticut, US

paid work is awesome, but most people lost the fun and creativity of modeling and go for nothing but cash now, its a sad sad thing.  guess everyone wants to be a bajillionaire but dont want to work for it or even get to experience a fun free time.  what the hell?

Oct 25 06 03:21 pm Link

Photographer

Veteres Vitri

MAYLENE, Alabama, US

For every persoon that won't shoot with you unless paid, there are 4 that are more than willing to swap talents.

Oct 25 06 03:23 pm Link

Photographer

Searcher

New York, New York, US

To play is to learn. Models who only work for pay aren't worth the money because their motivations are corrupt.

Oct 25 06 03:26 pm Link

Model

Uber Dami

New Haven, Connecticut, US

Searcher wrote:
To play is to learn. Models who only work for pay aren't worth the money because their motivations are corrupt.

well said

Oct 25 06 03:28 pm Link

Model

Seductivebyatch

Tucson, Arizona, US

Well I am not sure what part of Ca. you are in or what exactly you are looking for, but I am working TFCD/TFP. Being as I am a BBW model I don't get as many request for work paid or otherwise, people have a mental block against people of my build.
If you are interested check out my profile and contact me
Theresa

Oct 25 06 03:35 pm Link

Photographer

Searcher

New York, New York, US

Seductivebyatch wrote:
I am a BBW model

Doesn't BBW mean Big Black Woman?

Oct 25 06 03:39 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Julie Cassotta

Sacramento, California, US

I understand testing, I totally understand it and I do it all the time. but how are you supposed to actually get somewhere in this business if all anyone ever wants to do is trade? And how are you supposed to make any money when there are so many others that are willing to work for free?  Alot of people don't seem to care about the quatlity of work, just the price tag, so they'll move on to the next available person who'll do it free.  It's a never ending debate that will never be fully answered.

Oct 25 06 03:40 pm Link

Photographer

Searcher

New York, New York, US

One wins in this by applying talent to a policy of attrition.

(FYI: http://www.webster.com/cgi-bin/dictiona … =attrition)

Oct 25 06 03:44 pm Link

Model

Angelus

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Annique Delphine wrote:
...they're not willing to do TFCD or TFP shoots because "it's too time consuming" or they're only doing paid jobs "from now". And it kind of turns me off a bit.

Most of the models' pages that say that still consider testing , or TFP.
They usually write it to weed off too many offers or work taht's uniteresting. With yout skill level, IF you message them with a good concept, I'm sure you'll get more than a few replies back.

Try it and see. Also, acknowledge that you read their profile so they don't flame you for assuming you didn't.

Oct 25 06 03:52 pm Link

Photographer

nevar

Fort Smith, Arkansas, US

I think people have every right to work out the details of their talents.... Models have the right to charge, photographers have that same right.... Would you feel the same if this thread had been started by a model who was complaining that photographers want to be paid?

I really think that the whole no TFP statement in a person portfolio could be read.... I get to choose who I want to work with...  Its a statement that happens to scare of undesired GWC's without ever needing to say... Dude you suck...

Oct 25 06 04:12 pm Link

Photographer

Kas_

Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada

The brand new models with out a developed portfolio who only want high profile, big paying jobs, well they aren't going to get many contacts.  You can't jump into the industry and start out right at the top, and some girls just don't get that.

I have no problem with any models who dont want TFP/CD work, just means they are the kind of person I won't be contacting for anything, including paid jobs.  Someone who is open to suggestion, and models because its something they love, and they want to make beautiful work, those people are going to be higher up on the priority list

Oct 25 06 04:34 pm Link

Photographer

Searcher

New York, New York, US

GWC means never having to think you suck. The true GWC is a true con-artist.

Oct 25 06 04:46 pm Link

Model

Ryan6663

New York, New York, US

ehhh alot of the people on this site are really clueless, so just read the profile and move on.

Oct 25 06 06:05 pm Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Searcher wrote:

WHOA.
DO NOT lump us all into the same category here, please. That is NOT fair. I dare you to consult any of the photographers that I have shot with and ask them if I'm worth the money, and whether or not my motives are corrupt.

Wanna know the reason that I devote very very very little time to TFP and test shoots at the moment? I have 8 months to save $10,000.00 so that I can continue with certain aspects of my education that I plan to do for the rest of my life, unlike modeling. Currently my boyfriend's job is down, so he's loosing money, and I'm basically working the equivalent of 3 part time jobs, between my "day job," modeling, and working for my riding instructor in whatever time is left over, and we've only got one car. Is it practical for me to do TFP work? Absolutely not. I don't have the time. Apparently thats corrupt to you since I only work for money at the moment. I'd LOVE to be able to invest time in TFP. I have passed up several really cool opportunities just because I don't have the time. Thats the breaks of my life now. I deal with it, and do what I have to do so that I can invest in the things that will give me a carreer in my future when I'm wrinkled and old.

I'm sorry if models are not willing to work test shoots, that is unfortunate for you. But please do not lump anyone into one category. Everyone is free to choose what type of work they want to take, and thats their choice, and their responsibility to deal with whatever consequences they face. Your frustration is yours and yours alone to deal with and does not warrent the judgement that has been passed.

Oct 25 06 07:46 pm Link

Photographer

Chasing The Light

Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada

Annique Delphine wrote:
So I'm new to MM ......

I personally prefer to shoot models that I know. So I know their vibe and I know we work well together. So when I shoot a big job that's paid for by the client I want to have a model I can make some magic with. So usually I will book a model I have tested with before.

This is my line of thinking too, and I have hired models for paid shoots that I know will show up and work well with my direction, because of the TFCD shoots in the past.

Oct 25 06 07:54 pm Link

Model

Sarah Ellis

Portland, Oregon, US

NC17 wrote:

Everyone is free to choose what type of work they want to take, and thats their choice, and their responsibility to deal with whatever consequences they face. Your frustration is yours and yours alone to deal with and does not warrent the judgement that has been passed.

Thanks NC, I felt that Searcher's statement was unfair as well.  At the same time I agree that models who say "I will NEVER do x" run the risk of missing great opportunites.  I personally turn down most of the TFP offers I get.  Most of time, when I get a TFP offer, I look at the photographers work and decide that he/she is either not shooting the kind of work that I want in my book of his/her work is not of the quality that I aspire to maintain in my book.  Every now and then I get an offer from someone who I consider to be a really talented photographer, with a great shoot concept and MUA / hair / stylists that I want to work with.  When that happens I'm glad that my port doesn't say "never". 

The funny thing is, in my experience, many of the people who gripe about not being able to find models to do trade work with, and many of the models who refuse, across the board to consider any trade assignment have very little experience and would really benefit from doing some trade work.

Oct 25 06 08:13 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

Some people do this for business, some people do this for art, and some people do it because they have no clue what they are doing and like to pretend they are too important to be botherd.

In the end, who cares?

We can meet nice people anywhere. If they annoy you, click on.

Life is sweet, time is precious, and we can be whatever we want it to be.

Click Hamilton

Oct 25 06 08:16 pm Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Sarah Ellis wrote:
Thanks NC, I felt that Searcher's statement was unfair as well.  At the same time I agree that models who say "I will NEVER do x" run the risk of missing great opportunites.  I personally turn down most of the TFP offers I get.  Most of time, when I get a TFP offer, I look at the photographers work and decide that he/she is either not shooting the kind of work that I want in my book of his/her work is not of the quality that I aspire to maintain in my book.  Every now and then I get an offer from someone who I consider to be a really talented photographer, with a great shoot concept and MUA / hair / stylists that I want to work with.  When that happens I'm glad that my port doesn't say "never". 

The funny thing is, in my experience, many of the people who gripe about not being able to find models to do trade work with, and many of the models who refuse, across the board to consider any trade assignment have very little experience and would really benefit from doing some trade work.

Never say never, usually say usually, don't always say always. Absolutes are rarely a way to go. Notice I didn't have any aboslutes in my above statement. I *do* some TFP, but its pretty much ONLY with photographers that I have worked with several times and know the outcome of the work will further my book at this point. And honestly, those shoots are few and far between just due to time. Thats the breaks of life.

I do have some pretty definative statements in my profile. However, negotiation is EVERYTHING in this business. If you're not willing to negotiate then you're forever going to not find what you want. Its an artform, and takes lots of practice and skill to develop. Its purely about making your offer desirable enough to the other party that they *want* to say yes, even to TFP offers.

Oct 25 06 08:58 pm Link

Photographer

Searcher

New York, New York, US

Click Hamilton wrote:
Some people do this for business, some people do this for art

"Humanity is my business!"

(guess the source?)

Oct 25 06 09:59 pm Link

Photographer

Searcher

New York, New York, US

Searcher wrote:

NC17 wrote:
WHOA.
DO NOT lump us all into the same category here, please. That is NOT fair. I dare you to consult any of the photographers that I have shot with and ask them if I'm worth the money, and whether or not my motives are corrupt. [...] Wanna know the reason that I devote very very very little time to TFP and test shoots at the moment?

You want to do it but you cannot. That is a very different thing. Money to survive is important.

What I'm saying is that I wish all the models who are only in it to be rich and famous were bulldozed off a cliff when I wake up in the morning.

Oct 25 06 10:06 pm Link

Photographer

500 Gigs of Desire

New York, New York, US

Searcher wrote:
What I'm saying is that I wish all the models who are only in it to be rich and famous were bulldozed off a cliff when I wake up in the morning.

LMAO...

Oct 25 06 10:07 pm Link

Photographer

Papa Vic Photography

Glendale, Arizona, US

Click Hamilton wrote:
Some people do this for business, some people do this for art, and some people do it because they have no clue what they are doing and like to pretend they are too important to be botherd.

In the end, who cares?

We can meet nice people anywhere. If they annoy you, click on.

Life is sweet, time is precious, and we can be whatever we want it to be.

Click Hamilton

when I grow up
I wanna be like you

Oct 25 06 10:11 pm Link

Model

Teri Hofford

If you love to do it, it shouldnt matter if you get paid or not...just my thoughts...personally i just like to be involved in the whole creative process smile  (sure making a few bucks off of it doesnt hurt every now and then, but as a whole, I just enjoy the experience!)

Oct 25 06 11:56 pm Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Searcher wrote:

Searcher wrote:

You want to do it but you cannot. That is a very different thing. Money to survive is important.

I totally agree with you. However, that is NOT what you said. I don't appreciate a blanket statement that is absolutely NOT true. If you want to correct your statement, I suggest you do so in a manner that clarifies directly what you meant, and not what actually came out of your mouth. And frankly, an apology would look better on your part than simply removing your foot from your mouth.

Oct 26 06 09:40 am Link

Model

RDawkins

Breckenridge, Colorado, US

Model Mayhem: Where everybody wants to get paid and nobody wants to pay anyone.

Maybe that could be a t-shirt?

Oct 26 06 09:42 am Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Teri Hofford wrote:
If you love to do it, it shouldnt matter if you get paid or not...just my thoughts...personally i just like to be involved in the whole creative process smile  (sure making a few bucks off of it doesnt hurt every now and then, but as a whole, I just enjoy the experience!)

Again, I wish I could do it just because I enjoy it. Unfortunatley, at this point its a job because I need the money so that I can have a career when I end up old and wrinkled as is inevitable for everyone someday. I'm working basically 3 part time jobs to get to that goal. Please don't knock the people that are hard working for ligitimate reasons. Its not fair to us, I *do* love it, or it wouldn't be a "part time job," I don't do jobs anymore that I can't be passionate about. It just doesn't work. I love the experience, and I certainly hope it shows in the images.

Oct 26 06 09:42 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

What's the name of the horse that you're beating?

I have in my profile that I'm not doing TFP from time to time.

I'm always doing TFP...but I don't want to shoot TFP with GWCs.

And those photographers that know for a fact they can add to my portfolio email regardless of whether I say I'm doing TFP or not. Because they know that I am, and they know I will do it with them.

Don't believe everything you read.

-D

Oct 26 06 09:50 am Link

Makeup Artist

MAGIC FX

New York, New York, US

Many models, photographers and MUA's say no TPF to keep all the requests for TFP to a minumum.  But it has been my experience, if you talk to them they will usually make an exception if they like the concept and respect the work of the parties involved. You never know, it doesn't hurt to ask.

Oct 26 06 09:50 am Link

Photographer

Searcher

New York, New York, US

NC17 wrote:
And frankly, an apology would look better on your part than simply removing your foot from your mouth.

That'll be the day.

You made the assumption that my statement meant one thing, and I corrected your missthanginterpretation.

Oct 26 06 10:08 am Link

Model

_Alexandra

Alexandria, Virginia, US

Searcher wrote:

I agree with this statement to a certain extent.  If a model is modeling full-time, I can see why she'd want to only be paid.  However, in an event where, say, a model was asked to help with a campaign by a non-profit organization and demanded to be paid, I'd call it ridiculous.  I definitely agree though, if you really enjoy what you're doing you shouldn't feel that everyone should HAVE to pay you. 

Besides, if an amazing photographer (in this case) saw one of these profiles where a model would only work for pay, she may end up losing out on a great opportunity.

--Alexandra

Oct 26 06 10:14 am Link

Photographer

FosbreStudios

Medford, New Jersey, US

In my opinion, for the photograher side, there's no money in "model photography". We're not paying the bills by setting up 4 or 5 shoots a week with models....
Most photographers that are making money "doing photography" are doing Weddings, Family Portraits, Working for newspapers, magazines, etc.
The model thing, I think is more of a side job, just to take pictures of beautiful women. They dont work for playboy, but want to go through the motions of being a playboy photographer.

Oct 26 06 10:20 am Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Searcher wrote:

That'll be the day.

You made the assumption that my statement meant one thing, and I corrected your missthanginterpretation.

You made a blanket statement that allowed no room for other scenarios. How is that an assumption? And now you're attempting to claim that what you said wasn't a blanket statement. Whatever. Its written plain as day that your mind is closed and made up. How disappointing.

Oct 26 06 01:04 pm Link