Forums > General Industry > Location shooting and bad weather

Photographer

Jeff Searust

Austin, Texas, US

I have a shoot Wednesday, and it's looking like the weather might turn out bad. I have the location all ready and am looking for a single shot, and have it all drawn out, and have flowers coming and ---oh crap it's going to rain.

This is not the first time I have been rained out, but this is a one shot chance. any ideas? Umbrella? Tell model to run out into rain and shoot from car?

Oct 24 06 10:58 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

talk to Stephen Melvin. That's what you do. Ask him where to get rain gear. and tell that model to get in the damn rain and do the damn thing!

Oct 24 06 11:17 pm Link

Photographer

Hamza

New York, New York, US

Bad weather my ass!  Just shoot the damn thing!  Don't use bad weather as an excuse!!!

Sometimes you get amazing images when you shoot in "Bad Weather"...

http://modelplace.com/?op=pic&id=2003&p … 10d527a4d3

Oct 24 06 11:22 pm Link

Oct 24 06 11:26 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Rifkin

Tampa, Florida, US

wetlook time

Oct 24 06 11:26 pm Link

Photographer

Jeff Searust

Austin, Texas, US

I have shot models in the rain before (them not me), but this place has no overhang or anything for me to get out of the rain. I think I might try shooting from the car, it won't be that far away. I may need to get "the big lens" out for this...I was really wishing for the setting sun though.

Oct 24 06 11:27 pm Link

Photographer

Hamza

New York, New York, US

Don't be a pussy!

Wrap the camera in a plastic bag, get wet, what's the big deal!!!

No guts no glory!!!

Just do it!!!

Oct 25 06 12:04 am Link

Model

Loretta Lightningbolt

DEVILS ELBOW, Missouri, US

Hamza wrote:
Don't be a pussy!

No guts no glory!!!

Just do it!!!

I love you.

Oct 25 06 12:07 am Link

Photographer

The Dave

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

I keep a D70s around for just this reason. Shoot it!

Oct 25 06 12:08 am Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

jeff, you're really being vague about what's going into the shoot & its setup ...

i shoot often in the Austin scene, even prefer the "bad" weather 'cuz i get better light; have plans in fact for an editorial project this week too right here with the current forecast.

like i said, w/out further info it's hard to see what exactly is making you struggle; leave you the benefit of the doubt.

frank (FML)
austin

Oct 25 06 12:10 am Link

Photographer

Bay Photo

Marseille, Provence-Alpes-Côte-d'Azur, France

if you need the 'pop' that you get with direct sun, you have no choice but to wait till it is better. that is why you have 'weather days' built into photo assignments.

you could go rent a few 20Ks from the local grip house, but that is getting out of hand.

set it up and wait for a break in the clouds.  check noaa for best weather

Oct 25 06 12:16 am Link

Photographer

Stephen Melvin

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Jeff Genung wrote:
I have shot models in the rain before (them not me), but this place has no overhang or anything for me to get out of the rain. I think I might try shooting from the car, it won't be that far away. I may need to get "the big lens" out for this...I was really wishing for the setting sun though.

"The big lens" will get you shitty shots in the rain. You need to be close to your model. For one, rain can be noisy - at least a good midwestern thunderstorm will be. For another, the more distance between you and your model, the more rain between you, and your contrast falls rapidly with distance in a storm.

Don't be a freaking wimp - get out there with her!

https://stevemelvin.com/rain/slides/IMG_4182.jpg

I wasn't under an overhang or using an umbrella - I was out in that stuff just like Jessie. Not that an umbrella would have done any good. I wore a poncho - my camera wore a rain cape. I had to trust my camera's AF, because it's really hard to see through the plastic window.

This shoot netted my avatar shot, and requests to play in the rain and in fountains from virtually every model I've worked with since. My avatar shot was done while thunder was booming and the rain was coming down at an absurd pace. Does it rain like that in Austin? Perhaps it does, but somehow I doubt you'll get anything like half the monsoon Jessie and I shot in.

So you can either cancel the shoot, or try something you've never done before.

Oct 25 06 12:21 am Link

Photographer

Hamza

New York, New York, US

Seattle Photo wrote:
if you need the 'pop' that you get with direct sun, you have no choice but to wait till it is better. that is why you have 'weather days' built into photo assignments.

you could go rent a few 20Ks from the local grip house, but that is getting out of hand.

set it up and wait for a break in the clouds.  check noaa for best weather

20K's, are you nuts?  You don't need 20K's to "Make It Pop". 

Overcast is the best light, it's like one giant Chimera!

You just have to know how to work with what you got...that's all.

Oct 25 06 12:36 am Link

Photographer

re- photography

San Francisco, California, US

Bad whether, in Texas?.......just kidding, but honestly, I was shooting in snow last Saturday and probably will be again this Friday. Last Saturday in the mountains where I was at it was about 20 degrees F with sustained winds at 70-80 mph with blowing snow and freezing fog that makes a wind chill in the single digits to negative single digits........a little rain never hurt anyone, now frostbite, that's another thing, but that's what gloves and face masks are for..........my camera is gasketed on all openings even around the lens mount, so I don't even need a cover for it as long as I change lenses under cover of some sort and I can d this under a rain coat without having to look at it...........I like standing in the rain, thats what rain coats and either shorts and sandles or rain pants and boots are for.........viva le GoreTex!

Ryan Entwistle - Photographer
re: photography
www.ryanephotography.com

Oct 25 06 12:45 am Link

Photographer

re- photography

San Francisco, California, US

Hamza wrote:
Don't be a pussy!

No guts no glory!!!

Just do it!!!

HAHAHAH, that about sums it up; you chose the wording though, not me......

Oct 25 06 12:46 am Link