Forums > General Industry > Why do photogrophers only use their best photos

Model

CrazyRussianHelicopter

Madison, Alabama, US

When I look at the portfolio, I want to be able to see bad photos too.  Since the ones of me might happen to be the last category.  It's the only natural after all...
)
----
EDIT:
Words contained in this message may contain spelling errors and are not intended to be offensive. Any remarks or notes are permitted. If you find the error, please notify the reader immediately by replying to this thread.
All recommendations regarding attending an English language class will be considered.
Thank you.

Oct 24 06 07:02 pm Link

Model

CrazyRussianHelicopter

Madison, Alabama, US

Oh, my bad, my bad - spelling errors... Already got it...
)

Oct 24 06 07:03 pm Link

Photographer

S_D

San Diego, California, US

What!!! Are you serious?

Oct 24 06 07:04 pm Link

Photographer

ward

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Madcitychel wrote:
When I look at the portfolio, I want to be able to see bad photos too.  Since the ones of me might happen to be the last category.  It's the only natural after all...
)

I wouldn't take my portfolio to a client or an agency that I shoot for and show them bad photos if I intend to work with them. Why would anyone want to see bad photos from me if they intend to work with me ? I'm sorry, but I'm confused as to the reason... smile

Oct 24 06 07:07 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Beasley Photography

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Is this a cry for help

Oct 24 06 07:08 pm Link

Model

CrazyRussianHelicopter

Madison, Alabama, US

Jim Beasley Photography wrote:
Is this a cry for help

yes
smile
https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=85096

Oct 24 06 07:10 pm Link

Photographer

Michael DBA Expressions

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

Photographers show only their best photos because nobody needs a reminder that EVERYBODY screws up from time to time, some more than others.

Photographers show only their best photos because bad ones are always better remembered than good ones.

Photographers (and smart models) show only their best work because you will get more work like what you show, and who needs more bad work?

Oct 24 06 07:25 pm Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Madcitychel wrote:

You're kidding right?

Oct 24 06 10:29 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

I only show my worst photos. The good ones are secret.

www.pbase.com/click_hamilton

Oct 24 06 10:33 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Photographers don't necessarily show their best work. 

What they are allowed to show here is somewhat restricted, and, more importantly, photographers show here what they want to shoot next.  Or I do.

The stuff of mine that's judged best by the market is my older color work, but I have no interest in doing that genre anymore. 

So I show what I want to shoot, subject to the rules of the owner of MM.

-Don

P.S.  Other photographers that are here don't necessarily show their best work because it's been sold or licensed and their own use may be somewhat restricted.  Or they think it is.

Oct 24 06 10:51 pm Link

Photographer

Lost Coast Photo

Ferndale, California, US

Maybe next time we'll spend a few minutes making intentionally bad photos, so we can look at them later and laugh at ourselves

Oct 24 06 10:56 pm Link

Photographer

Lost Coast Photo

Ferndale, California, US

sdphotoforum wrote:
What!!! Are you serious?

She's doing satire in what for her is a second language... what does that tell you?

Oct 24 06 11:00 pm Link

Photographer

Carpe Imago Photography

Dousman, Wisconsin, US

I wouldn't say that the images that I show are always my best, as might include something new just to see what the response is.  Good, bad, or otherwise.

I guess the question is, how many pictures would a model post from a day when he/she felt as though the photographer caught them from every wrong angle and made them look fat and ugly.

Same concept...

Oct 24 06 11:01 pm Link

Photographer

John Van

Vienna, Wien, Austria

Because of the difference between a good and a bad photographer:

'A good photographer only shows his best photographs, never his bad ones.'

Oct 25 06 12:04 am Link

Photographer

DigitalJack Photography

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, US

Ok, I am new here and I was really thinking this was a joke going on. But after reading all of the replies, I see the point. It's not about not showing the BAD photos, it's more about seeing natural unmade-up models as opposed to totally made up faces.
I got an email from a friend that showed some really bad skin on a number of women then showed how wonderful they look after all of the make up.
But do models want to be seen as train wrecks or as beautiful as possible...
Maybe that is why we use makeup artists in the first place.
But what do I know...

Oct 25 06 12:45 am Link

Photographer

Hope Parr

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

Bad photos is your words not mine, but if your a model not working for pay then you have nothing you need to worry about anyways.

Madcitychel wrote:
).

Oct 25 06 01:01 am Link

Photographer

DENNIS SANTARINALA

D. U. H. something's wrong here.

Oct 25 06 01:06 am Link

Photographer

Brian Ziff

Los Angeles, California, US

i don't show my best photos.  i put up pics on a basis of the way they'll look next to the surrounding ones--add or subtract colors as i deem fit.  i don't think i have any best photos, either.  i think they're all equally amateur, haha.

Oct 25 06 01:08 am Link