Forums > General Industry > No children please.....

Photographer

Royal Photography

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Ok..like most all other photographers...will shoot what pays....but am I the only one who gets tired of the
"OH YOU SHOOT BABIES?" or "DO YOU PHOTOGRAPH KIDS?"  That question is not the issue...it is what follows the question....."I HAVE THE MOST BEAUTIFUL, CUTIEST, ADHORABLE, PRECIOUS - BABY, GRAND BABY, NEICE, (or whatever) IN THE ENTIRE WORLD!!!!!!!!"
   Having shot kids along with everything else over the years I have adjusted my thinking.  I used to think there was no such thing as a ugly baby..........well news flash......There sure as hell are some ugly babies.
    At what point to parents or grandparents come to the reality that just because that grunt is attached to them genetically doesnt make that tricycle motor prettier or more beautiful than anyother?
  How do we keep our sanity or sense of humor about the subject?

Oct 24 06 01:05 pm Link

Photographer

ClevelandSlim

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

Allen Coefield wrote:

by reading posts like the one you just made... this is funny as hell.  good shit man!

~Slim~

Oct 24 06 04:09 pm Link

Photographer

photosbydmp

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

weddings and children, a lucrative market but after shooting my last childrens portrait and having a flashgun broken clean off the grip by a well aimed football from a little child, never again.

Oct 24 06 04:12 pm Link

Photographer

Kas_

Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada

Allen Coefield wrote:
There sure as hell are some ugly babies.

That made me laugh lol

Oct 24 06 04:22 pm Link

Photographer

jack for photos

Great Barrington, Massachusetts, US

LMAO

Jack

Oct 24 06 04:23 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

"Tricycle motor"  ..............hehehe.

Wanda works in a daycare/preschool.  I'll have to ask her if she's ever heard that one.

Oct 24 06 04:29 pm Link

Photographer

Kinetic Photography

I saw a full on photo shoot of a baby at the beach a few weeks ago.  At first I thought it was for a magazine or something like that.  Turns out the parents just wanted professional images of their child. Photographer, lighting assistant, and make up artist.  Maybe they bought the kid in Malawi for a bargin and just wanted cute pictures...........

Oct 24 06 04:44 pm Link

Photographer

David A Bliss

Portland, Oregon, US

Allen Coefield wrote:
There sure as hell are some ugly babies.

All babies are ugly...

Oct 24 06 04:48 pm Link

Photographer

J and M Photography

Dawson, Georgia, US

David A Bliss wrote:

All babies are ugly...

How could you say my avatar is ugly???

Oct 24 06 04:54 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Allen Coefield wrote:

Double your rates for shooting kids.

Oct 24 06 05:02 pm Link

Photographer

Miles Chandler

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Shooting babies is easy.. it's when they learn to run that it's hard to get a bead on them:-)

Oct 24 06 05:04 pm Link

Model

Amanda Wright

Tampa, Florida, US

Allen Coefield wrote:
I used to think there was no such thing as a ugly baby..........well news flash......There sure as hell are some ugly babies.

lmfao Thats hilarious....and true.

Oct 24 06 06:24 pm Link

Photographer

Royal Photography

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Oh I have had some fun shoots with kids.....and ya know..those that are not the prettiest are usually the ones with the best expressions....but I dont really blame the kids when they break my backdrop holder, or take a running dive into the backdrop....or grab my light meeter and start banging it on the table because the "games" wont come on....or start pushing the reset button on my lights fast enough to make the bulbs melt, or whatever else kids do.  I blame the parents for not being parents and letting them do those things and thinking it is cute in the process.

Oct 25 06 07:11 am Link

Photographer

far away

Jackson, Alabama, US

I've worked in several studios, so I've had my share of photographing kids/babies. Not fun. Once in a while, someone on OMP will contact me to photograph their child. I'll do it. But, can't say it's my favorite subject to shoot. My son, on the other hand... I love photographing him. The only child I like to photograph. But, he's so used to my camera, he's pretty easy to photograph. The years I've spent in studios... Ugh. I have some stories of shooting children. And their bitchy mothers! Drove me fuckin' nuts!

Oct 25 06 07:58 am Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

Like a lot you I've had my experience with "kiddy photos"......never again!....and I like kids...but it's the parents and even worse.....THE GRANDPARENTS that put you through hell.

Oct 25 06 08:42 am Link

Model

_Alexandra

Alexandria, Virginia, US

Allen Coefield wrote:
..........well news flash......There sure as hell are some ugly babies.

This is hilarious and so true!!  It doesn't matter what you look like, you could be ugly as hell and your parents and grandparents will think you are just so precious!

I mean c'mon, haven't you seen an episode of Jerry Springer or Maury where the parents think that their 3 year old son is so cute, despite the fact that he weighs 200 pounds?  It's almost their JOB to think you're cute!

Oct 25 06 09:34 am Link

Photographer

radar

New York, New York, US

J and M Photography wrote:

How could you say my avatar is ugly???

He did not say your avatar  is ugly... he said the baby in the avatar is ugly!

Oct 25 06 09:39 am Link

Photographer

Robert NYC

New York, New York, US

Miles Chandler wrote:
Shooting babies is easy.. it's when they learn to run that it's hard to get a bead on them:-)

That one cracked me up (as the father of a 3-year-old)!!

We had a children's magazine for awhile, and the shoots were insane. Each parent brings the "model" kid, plus, like 12 other kids they're hoping will get "discovered," so a casting call for five kids turns into a circus with 20 or 30 monsters running around. And it was far from a safe office.

Best shot - we also had a lingerie magazine, and got a great shot of a 10 year old boy staring oddly at a barely-clad lingerie model walking past...

Oct 25 06 09:45 am Link

Photographer

Jen Price Photography

Longview, Washington, US

For my "Business" I mainly shoot kids and so far have been pretty lucky with the kids and their parents.  Notice I was keen to add the "so far" part.  Good looking, fun kids and easy going folks make for some good shoots.

On the other hand, if the "ugly baby" ever does rear it's ugly head, I'm just gonna smile and nod my head in agreement that it's the "most beautiful baby EVER!!" and just take on the challenge of making the most adorable ugly baby photos ever because that's really all that matters in the end right?

I joined this place to get more experience shooting models and headshots and it's been like a vacation.  I never realized how difficult shooting kids really is until I had the opportunity to shoot with adults who know what they're doing that I don't have to bribe with Candy and toys.  Well most of the time anyways. :-)

Oct 25 06 10:00 am Link

Photographer

darkfotoart

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

wow , ive never had any problem shooting kids.   the worst model i ever had was a pro , she kept moving after i posed her i finally walked off the shoot.      i think its easy to photograph kids , i like challenging models  anybody can make a beauty look good.    make a 5 foot 3 inch 190 pound girl look hot and you have skill.  as far as ugly kids go , it dont matter  the parents like,em anyway

Oct 25 06 10:57 pm Link

Photographer

Fluffytek

Shooting babies is easy, its hiding the body thats hard smile

Oct 26 06 10:36 am Link