Forums > General Industry > Photographers can be really mean!

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I won't go into much detail on the specifics of where I came from with this thread, but where should photographers draw the line when it comes to criticizing a model's body?

If a model shows up for a shoot showing off a lot of her body (nude or not) and she seems to be a bit out of shape (in your opinion), do you let her know she's ruining your shoot because of how she looks?

I ran into this recently with a model I worked with (the comments were not made by me) and it bothered her enough that she has this urge to hit the gym and feels like crap now--all because of a photographer's harsh comments. Although I did not shoot anything with her that showed off much skin, she looked great.

Where do you draw the line? Again, I don't know the context to which the comments were made, if she asked the photographer what he thought and he just gave his opinion - but this case aside, is it ever OK to volunteer criticism like that to a model to the point of it giving her a complex?

Personally, if I ever witnessed it happen, I'd out the photographer. The last thing women need is some "pro" telling her to lose weight or making her feel bad because *HE* didn't like the way her body looked for a shoot. Yes - this is a business, but if you do it the right way, the model should not leave the session feeling like crap.

*The one exception would be if the model lied about her figure and the photographer needed a specific body type for the shot.

Oct 24 06 09:52 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

I would assume the photographer would know what the model looks like before shooting her. And frankly, if he/she was unsure, then they should have met in person first. And, if they didn't, and she/he was lying in his or her pictures, then no, the photographer has no right to tell she/he to shape up, but he/she has every right to say...um, you don't look like your photos, so bounce.

-D

Edit: While the photographer may be out of line, the model has to hear it from someone. I've heard it. I've spent extra days at the gym because of it...and then I've gotten better jobs. If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen (because there's food in there, too)

Oct 24 06 09:56 am Link

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Even if they meet beforehand, but the actual shoot is a nude shoot - could there possibly be THAT much revealed that the photographer had no clue about when they met?

Oct 24 06 09:57 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

Sleepy Weasel wrote:
Even if they meet beforehand, but the actual shoot is a nude shoot - could there possibly be THAT much revealed that the photographer had no clue about when they met?

Absolutely. Clothes can hide a lot.

Oct 24 06 09:58 am Link

Photographer

StreetlowJohn

Salinas, California, US

I agree that a model should never leave feeling down in the dumps due to a photographers attitude or comments.  I do feel that is a model wishes to be successful and is seeking something from the photographer (Pay, Publication, Promotion etc..) then she does need to be told tactfully and respectfully what would prevent her from getting what she seeks.  If nobody tells her/him, and they seem to be getting nowhere then it is not justice to the model...  like mentioned before, this is a business, and in business you only get the best...  those who strive to be the best can take the criticizm when done right...

Oct 24 06 10:03 am Link

Photographer

ChristianBehr

Miami Beach, Florida, US

I don't think telling a model she has weight to lose is mean at all.  What's worse to me is saying nothing and letting the model miss job after job after job. 

If you care - and know your business.... tell the truth.

Oct 24 06 10:05 am Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

A model shouldn't leave a shoot feeling like crap...but a model shouldn't ever develop a complex over what someone says about their body. It's understandable to feel a little bad about yourself after getting a verbal beating, but to be that upset? If you're that self conscious you shouldn't be modeling. I don't think it's right for photographers to do that at all (it's up to the model how they choose to have their body look), but if a photographer's talking smack about your body, you should be able to grin and bear it, go home, eat some cake to spite him, and never work with him again.

Oct 24 06 10:06 am Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

MORRISDALE, Pennsylvania, US

Sleepy Weasel wrote:
I won't go into much detail on the specifics of where I came from with this thread, but where should photographers draw the line when it comes to criticizing a model's body?

Within the bounds of courtesy and at the point where it no longer is their business.

If I'm hiring a model for figure work, most of my "criticism" would happen at the point where I choose whether or not to shoot with him/her in the first place. Once I've decided to shoot with him/her, then, if I feel s/he's got body problems, it's as much my fault (for choosing him/her) as it is his/hers. Indeed, it's probably more so because I had a choice in models and s/he has relatively little choice in bodies.

Lastly, there's always a line between rudeness and courtesy. If someone asks me if they look fat I can say "yes, you look like a manatee" or I can say "you could stand to lose a few pounds, I suppose." That's in response to a direct question. But if you're not asked, then it probably isn't appropriate to just offer an opinion. When asked, you can offer an opinion politely (but honestly). When you're not asked, you should consider how you'd feel if someone offered unsolicited opinions about yourself. If a stranger walked up to me on the street and told me my mustache looked "dorky" I would be taken aback. I like it. But suddenly I am questioning a part of my face. Arrrgh!

Your question boils down to 'are people rude' and the answer to that is glaringly obvious.

mjr.

Oct 24 06 10:07 am Link

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

ChristianBehr wrote:
I don't think telling a model she has weight to lose is mean at all.

I agree - but as stated prior, "if done right." I think that's the key.

Does a photographer have to be mean about it to get the point across?

Oct 24 06 10:07 am Link

Photographer

Thyronne

Huntington Beach, California, US

I once told a model standing nude in front of my camera she looked like Alice from the Brady Bunch.  She ran off crying three times, the makeup artist was able to bring her back twice.  I thought at the time I may have been a little harsh, I think I called her ugly a couple of times as well, but she's had me over to her parents every Christmas since.

Oct 24 06 10:08 am Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

Marcus J. Ranum wrote:
If a stranger walked up to me on the street and told me my mustache looked "dorky" I would be taken aback. I like it. But suddenly I am questioning a part of my face. Arrrgh!

You have the best moustache ever. I would have sex with your moustache if I could.

Oct 24 06 10:08 am Link

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Marcus J. Ranum wrote:
Your question boils down to 'are people rude' and the answer to that is glaringly obvious.

Actually, I think my question is 'what percentage of photographers are pricks?'

I told th model that I think te female form should be celebrated, not analyzed. But that may only apply to the type of shots I do. If I was shooting for Maxim and the model had love handles, then yeah, a discrete comment might be in order. But if I'm shooting artistic nudes on a beach or by some trees, then I WANT a more natural look - not some wann-be airbrushed skin-and-bones twig.

Could these type of harsh comments be part of the Howard Stern 'women should do whatever I say to look good according to me' atmosphere we live in, or has this always gone on in this business?

Oct 24 06 10:13 am Link

Model

e-string

Kansas City, Missouri, US

How would that have happened to her if she had been totally honest about her sizes, etc.?

Oct 24 06 10:17 am Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

Kaitlin Lara wrote:
You have the best moustache ever. I would have sex with your moustache if I could.

And then there's the unsolicited remarks that are nice to get! smile

Have you ever noticed that people get bent out of shape if you walk up and say "your mustache looks STUPID" but react entirely differently when a pretty 19-year-old (who is young enough to be your daughter, *ahem*) walks up and says she'd like a mustache-ride?

mjr.

Oct 24 06 10:18 am Link

Photographer

ActionShots Photo

Barboursville, West Virginia, US

There are different circumstance that bring different reactions to place here...

1) A model paying a photographer to shoot his/her pictures... the photographer better just keep his mouth shut and shoot the pictures unless specifically asked.

2) A photographer paying a model... should have known going in before agreeing to pay what the REAL sitaution is and should keep his mouth shut.

3) Colaborative session (TFCD?)... shoot and enjoy, make the best of it (ALL are beautiful in their own unique ways), and suggest some ideas. If a model wants to do such and such, there is a market for everything... if they want to do something else, this might be a change to consider.

Above all, as a photographer, enjoy the challenges. They make you a better photographer. Everyone can get great shots of the rose garden, it takes a talent to get great shots of the sewer.

Just my opinion...

Oct 24 06 10:18 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

Sleepy Weasel wrote:

No one has a right to be mean.

People do it anyway.

Oct 24 06 10:19 am Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

Sleepy Weasel wrote:
But if I'm shooting artistic nudes on a beach or by some trees, then I WANT a more natural look - not some wann-be airbrushed skin-and-bones twig.

Ouch...a skin-and-bones twig can't be natural? I'm pretty sure I don't force myself to look like this.

Oct 24 06 10:20 am Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

Sleepy Weasel wrote:
Actually, I think my question is 'what percentage of photographers are pricks?'

My guess is that it's a microcosm of society at large. You'd find just as many opinionated a!(&!6holes at a quilting society. At one end of the bell curve you've got the people who are always sweetness and light and at the other you have the people who enjoy taking others down a peg and do it whenever they can. My wife was part of a knitting circle for a few years - a women's knitting circle, for crying out loud! - and there was a similar "prick percentage."

And then there's the guys like me who can't make up their minds and flip violently back and forth, seemingly at random. smile

mjr.

Oct 24 06 10:21 am Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

Kaitlin Lara wrote:
Ouch...a skin-and-bones twig can't be natural? I'm pretty sure I don't force myself to look like this.

Come on, Kaitlin, tell the truth. You weighed 175lbs before I locked you in the basement of my studio for 3 months and fed you nothing but tuna-fish cans dropped through a hole in the floor and the occasional bucket of water. It was a radical diet but it worked, huh!?

mjr.

Oct 24 06 10:23 am Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

Marcus J. Ranum wrote:

And then there's the unsolicited remarks that are nice to get! smile

Have you ever noticed that people get bent out of shape if you walk up and say "your mustache looks STUPID" but react entirely differently when a pretty 19-year-old (who is young enough to be your daughter, *ahem*) walks up and says she'd like a mustache-ride?

mjr.

Lol...I don't know...I like when people say nasty crap about me because it gives me an excuse to let out some of my pent up aggression tongue But I'm glad you're flattered big_smile (BTW, you may be old enough to be my dad, but you're still younger than my dad...so it's okay tongue)

Oct 24 06 10:23 am Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

Marcus J. Ranum wrote:

Come on, Kaitlin, tell the truth. You weighed 175lbs before I locked you in the basement of my studio for 3 months and fed you nothing but tuna-fish cans dropped through a hole in the floor and the occasional bucket of water. It was a radical diet but it worked, huh!?

mjr.

SHHHH!!! Dammit! I almost had everyone fooled! I HATE you! And I don't like your moustache anymore either!!

Oct 24 06 10:25 am Link

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Kaitlin Lara wrote:

No - I said wanna-be airburshed skin and bones model - the ones that think they HAVE to be superthin (to the point of illness) and want every little detail touched up so they look perfect. I know you're naturally thin (at least I think you've commented about it before). My apologies if that came across the wrong way.

Oct 24 06 10:25 am Link

Model

Brandy_Lynn

Lexington, Kentucky, US

It depends..he could tell her he doesn't want to work together. He could politely say he thought she was size (for example 0). She will get the point that he didn't want to work together due to a weight issue.

Simple but treat others how you want to be treated. There are tactful ways of going about this. There is no need to be harsh or hurtful. You can get your point across and be a gentleman.

Oct 24 06 10:27 am Link

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

e-string wrote:
How would that have happened to her if she had been totally honest about her sizes, etc.?

I think a model could be blatantly honest and still receive comments. If a woman is a size 6, for example, could she actually be a size 4 with a little extra weight? If so and she says she's a 6 (because she is), the photographer might comment on her extra padding, yes?  I don't know if this was the case I mentioned, but just throwing it out there.

Perhaps I can find out from the model myself what the photographer commented on (if she even wants to discuss it). It certainly would shed more light to whether or not the photographer was an ahole or not.

Oct 24 06 10:31 am Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

Sleepy Weasel wrote:

No - I said wanna-be airburshed skin and bones model - the ones that think they HAVE to be superthin (to the point of illness) and want every little detail touched up so they look perfect. I know you're naturally thin (at least I think you've commented about it before). My apologies if that came across the wrong way.

No...I knew you didn't mean it like that, but I was just letting you know how it could've been taken tongue You're complaining about people bitching about models being too fat...well...ain't nothing wrong with a model being too thin if there's nothing wrong with a model being too fat.

Oct 24 06 10:33 am Link

Model

e-string

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Sleepy Weasel wrote:

I think a model could be blatantly honest and still receive comments. If a woman is a size 6, for example, could she actually be a size 4 with a little extra weight? If so and she says she's a 6 (because she is), the photographer might comment on her extra padding, yes?  I don't know if this was the case I mentioned, but just throwing it out there.

Perhaps I can find out from the model myself what the photographer commented on (if she even wants to discuss it). It certainly would shed more light to whether or not the photographer was an ahole or not.

If you go by measurements, there's no confusion about sizing. The only thing I can think of that a model wouldn't be presenting is the shape of her body, like perhaps less-than-perky breasts, cellulite, certain areas not toned, etc. But generally those sort of things show in pictures, unless they're about to shoot nudes which she has never done before.

Oct 24 06 10:37 am Link

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Kaitlin Lara wrote:

No...I knew you didn't mean it like that, but I was just letting you know how it could've been taken tongue You're complaining about people bitching about models being too fat...well...ain't nothing wrong with a model being too thin if there's nothing wrong with a model being too fat.

I don't have a problem with overweight models OR thin models. Hell - I'd love to do a shoot with you and Shyly together. The possibilities would be infinite.  Someone needs to coordinate that shoot!

I just don't think it's a photographer's job to tell the model how to look, unless he feels decieved about what he thought he was shooting when she showed up, and I just hope it doesn't go on that often.

Oct 24 06 10:43 am Link

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

e-string wrote:
The only thing I can think of that a model wouldn't be presenting is the shape of her body, like perhaps less-than-perky breasts, cellulite, certain areas not toned, etc.

I imagine this might be the case with the model I spoke to, but I imagine this is the case a lot of the time. No model is "perfect" and I imagine there is always some X-factor regarding a model's body that might catch the photographer my surprise if he's expecting perfection.

Oct 24 06 10:45 am Link

Model

JulieB

New York, New York, US

Thank God no one's said anything like that to me. I don't pretend to be a fashion model, and I think my port reveals that I am more "natural." I know however, that me just walking around naked looks very different than me posing, because I know which areas of my body are problematic photographically, and I pose tweaking those issues as best as I can.

Oct 24 06 10:48 am Link

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

JulieB wrote:
Thank God no one's said anything like that to me. I don't pretend to be a fashion model, and I think my port reveals that I am more "natural." I know however, that me just walking around naked looks very different than me posing, because I know which areas of my body are problematic photographically, and I pose tweaking those issues as best as I can.

I look at your port and don't see problems with your body. You hae a great figure for artistic photos. But I suppose some hotsy-totsy photographer could nitpick you to death because it's not what *HE* wanted.

Oct 24 06 10:54 am Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

San Diego, California, US

ActionShots Photo wrote:
There are different circumstance that bring different reactions to place here...

1) A model paying a photographer to shoot his/her pictures... the photographer better just keep his mouth shut and shoot the pictures unless specifically asked.

2) A photographer paying a model... should have known going in before agreeing to pay what the REAL sitaution is and should keep his mouth shut.

3) Colaborative session (TFCD?)... shoot and enjoy, make the best of it (ALL are beautiful in their own unique ways), and suggest some ideas. If a model wants to do such and such, there is a market for everything... if they want to do something else, this might be a change to consider.

Above all, as a photographer, enjoy the challenges. They make you a better photographer. Everyone can get great shots of the rose garden, it takes a talent to get great shots of the sewer.

Just my opinion...

This is correct, context is needed here.

So what kinda session was it? If it was a paid pro/commercial job, then yes, he lacked tact and was a total ass.

If it was a "let's just get together and shoot" sorta thing; he shoulda been bitch slapped upside his way-too-big-head. And he's still an ass.

Oct 24 06 11:15 am Link

Photographer

nevar

Fort Smith, Arkansas, US

I have had two models show up with different hair color than what their portfolios describe. I have had a size 12 model show up as a size 9, telling me she'd lost weight...

Basically, as a photographer you have to be ready to be surprised, and willing to roll with the punches. Some times that surprise can turn into disappointment if the photographer isn't flexible... And that disappointment can turn into being harsh and snappish.

Lesson to be learned here... Models be honest about your body... Its your commodity and not representing it honestly can hurt you down the road. And photographers try to be flexible where you can... If the model is not what their portfolio displays, just like any other product... Take it back and don't use it. Yelling at it does no good and is just a waste of time.

Oct 24 06 11:27 am Link

Photographer

Sockpuppet Studios

San Francisco, California, US

Sleepy Weasel wrote:

No no meaness is needed at all.

If she is of a body type that she can't sell to her market no one will hire her she will just fade out...or find a new market...or start posts on MM asking why she makes no money or why no one will shoot with her. 

Just be polite and say "your body type isnot what I need right now, and no I do not have any other refrences for you either"

Oct 24 06 11:42 am Link

Model

Dasaun

Southfield, Michigan, US

I had a photographer tell me I needed to work out. I took it as a constructive critisim ( I was a bit out of shape). But I didn't ask for his opinion which did make his comments a little rude. All in all though, I prefer a photog to tell me than a client so I think it's ok to go ahead and say something but there are rules:

1. be tactful
2. make sure the model is open to suggestions
3. be honest, not harsh

in the end, its better to say something than to keep quiet. Hurt feelings are better than hurt pockets.

Oct 24 06 11:50 am Link

Photographer

Yuriy

Gillette, New Jersey, US

Sleepy Weasel wrote:
Personally, if I ever witnessed it happen, I'd out the photographer. The last thing women need is some "pro" telling her to lose weight or making her feel bad because *HE* didn't like the way her body looked for a shoot. Yes - this is a business, but if you do it the right way, the model should not leave the session feeling like crap.

Some people are just blunt. The model should have known herself the he meant that he didn’t like her look or whatnot. I really doubt that the photographer was telling this model that everyone in the word thought she was a cow.

Some comments might seem brazen but it really comes down to, “If the photographer's view is respected (by you) then be happy for the criticism, if not then ignore it.”

Oct 24 06 12:21 pm Link

Model

Able

Durham, North Carolina, US

e-string wrote:

oHHH! That is a very good question.

Of course feelings are going to get hurt. People ask for honest opinions and then their feelings get hurt when it happens. Some people say photogs that want a fit or thin model are shallow, of course the choice is shallow...it's modeling. It's not for everyone.

Not that Im GQ or anything.

Oct 24 06 12:29 pm Link

Photographer

Vivus Hussein Denuo

New York, New York, US

I only did 2 shoots - out of 118 - that I regretted doing because of the model's looks.  Not a bad average.  Nowadays, I check out height, weight, dimensions and images pretty carefully.  Anyway, for those two, I never said anything negative to the models.  I agreed to shoot with them, didn't I?

Oct 24 06 09:14 pm Link