Forums > General Industry > How old is too old??

Model

Marni Mutrux

Humacao, Humacao, Puerto Rico

for making it as a commercial model? I'm doing this as a creative outlet right now, but is it realistic?

Oct 24 06 03:25 am Link

Photographer

Elana Rachel

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I think it depends on the model- you look quite young in some of your shots. There is also always a niche for a model. The younger you look can look, I feel the more versatile you can be- as a great makeup artist can make you look younger or older. Commercially there is a place for models of any age- after all there are products to be sold to all ages in this world! I guess what I am saying is- keep at it, there is always a place for a beautiful face in the modeling world.
Good Luck!

Oct 24 06 03:32 am Link

Photographer

Hoodlum

Sacramento, California, US

That question and the ones you have after it will be answered right here. It is by far the best info resource on the net.
http://www.newmodels.com

also

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/danhood/gifs/search.gif

Good luck

Oct 24 06 03:37 am Link

Photographer

re- photography

San Francisco, California, US

I had a 36 year old model who was traveling to my area actually email me to tell me that she was going to be in the area if I wanted to HIRE HER to do a glamour, pin-up, or nude shoot..................I'm 22...........she's closer to my mother's age than mine........to me, that's a good definition of too old for that type of modeling...............but that's a digression from your question........no age is wrong for COMMERCIAL modeling as long as the images are appropriate to the age of the model..........elderly people can be COMMERCIAL models as long as they aer portraying elderly themes and not trying to use the images to sell low-rise jeans......

Oct 24 06 03:40 am Link

Model

Marni Mutrux

Humacao, Humacao, Puerto Rico

thanks for the smart-ass remarks. Anyhow, according to the model info site, ""Prime time" is the late 20s and 30s for women, 30s and 40s for men, and in fact the average age asked for is 37 (35 for women, 39 for men)."

Good to know. Thank you.

Oct 24 06 03:46 am Link

Photographer

IrisSwope

Dallas, Texas, US

Marni Mutrux wrote:
thanks for the smart-ass remarks. Anyhow, according to the model info site, ""Prime time" is the late 20s and 30s for women, 30s and 40s for men, and in fact the average age asked for is 37 (35 for women, 39 for men)."

Good to know. Thank you.

Which one was smart-ass? They all were good answers...

Oct 24 06 03:51 am Link

Photographer

Dean Solo

Miami, Arizona, US

Well you answered your own question. Commercial modeling I don't think there is an age limit, I mean they still need people to do ads for Geritol and stuff like that. Now if your talking cover girl type stuff then definetly you have to do it while your young. I just looked at your port and I think you look pretty damn good period. Be realistic, but don't let age deter you from chasing your dreams.

Oct 24 06 03:53 am Link

Photographer

BlackWatch

Cleveland, Ohio, US

My wife is 36 and I thinks she looks pretty darned good still. She's in many of my pictures. We just shot this weekend...new pictures up soon.

The cool thing is when she goth's herself up really good she really looks more regal these days. She walks around like the queen with poise, confidence, and comfort. You can see all the baby goths in the mall swooning and wishing they could be her...

BW

Oct 24 06 04:06 am Link

Photographer

Harold Rose

Calhoun, Georgia, US

Marni Mutrux wrote:
for making it as a commercial model? I'm doing this as a creative outlet right now, but is it realistic?

I would say there is no definate age,   just look at the little lady for Wendys "Where's the Beef" 
    I have a serious project going  of over 40 women..   About 3 months ago,  I had a 40+ model come in for a portfolio update,   just 2 weeks ago I see her on Tv in an netword commercial..
     One thing I have found though,  a lot of the older models have a tendency to try to be too thin..  it draws sharp edges on the face..
      I hope I have not offended anyone for using  40 and saying older women in the same breath..Harold

Oct 24 06 04:18 am Link

Photographer

Harold Rose

Calhoun, Georgia, US

re- photography wrote:
I had a 36 year old model who was traveling to my area actually email me to tell me that she was going to be in the area if I wanted to HIRE HER to do a glamour, pin-up, or nude shoot..................I'm 22...........she's closer to my mother's age than mine........to me, that's a good definition of too old for that type of modeling...............but that's a digression from your question........no age is wrong for COMMERCIAL modeling as long as the images are appropriate to the age of the model..........elderly people can be COMMERCIAL models as long as they aer portraying elderly themes and not trying to use the images to sell low-rise jeans......

You just need to gain more experience in photography and life..  In past years I have shot 3 women for major (penthouse) sex magazines.. one over 50 the other over 40.
What is elderly themes  in your mind..

Oct 24 06 04:22 am Link

Photographer

GDS Photos

London, England, United Kingdom

re- photography wrote:

maybe at 22 YOU were too young ?

Oct 24 06 04:26 am Link

Model

Serena Toxicat

Oakland, California, US

Are you for real? I'm almost 39 and get the same gigs as any 22 year-old. And yes, when traveling and in the mood to do nudes (I do fashion and commercial, too) I want to be HIRED for my polish, my experience, and my perky tits and ass.

re- photography wrote:

Oct 24 06 04:34 am Link

Photographer

IrisSwope

Dallas, Texas, US

Serena Toxicat wrote:
Are you for real? I'm almost 39 and get the same gigs as any 22 year-old. And yes, when traveling and in the mood to do nudes (I do fashion and commercial, too) I want to be HIRED for my polish, my experience, and my perky tits and ass.

Ya know...lying about your age will get you temp-banned.....
Since you say you're 2006....

Oct 24 06 04:38 am Link

Model

Serena Toxicat

Oakland, California, US

Hehe, I know; thanks for the heads up, and for looking at my profile. wink I did it as a joke and now I can't find the age feature in "edit (your) profile". How do I access that?

Oct 24 06 04:47 am Link

Photographer

IrisSwope

Dallas, Texas, US

Serena Toxicat wrote:
Hehe, I know; thanks for the heads up, and for looking at my profile. wink I did it as a joke and now I can't find the age feature in "edit (your) profile". How do I access that?

https://www.modelmayhem.com/change_bday.php

and you don't look 38....but some people look older at 25 than alot at 35.. And they'll never admit it to themselves

Oct 24 06 04:48 am Link

Model

Serena Toxicat

Oakland, California, US

Thanks for the link, Iris!

Oct 24 06 05:06 am Link

Model

Serena Toxicat

Oakland, California, US

You are absolutely drop-into-a-coma freakin' GORGEOUS, and it's APPARENT age that counts in this industry, and you look very young. Your range could be late teens/early 20's to mid-20's IMO. Keep it up til you're 90 and look 70!!!

Marni Mutrux wrote:

Oct 24 06 05:10 am Link

Photographer

shotbytim

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

Depends on the product and the audience. Remember that in commercial modeling, the product is the star and the model is a "supporting actor". When you're open to more than just Maxim/Playboy glamour, you'll see that there is some work for every age and type.

Oct 24 06 05:11 am Link

Model

LanaV

Los Angeles, California, US

It all depends on the person, what they are looking for and if they still have the look at their age.

Oct 25 06 09:24 pm Link

Photographer

Kinetic Photography

Marni Mutrux wrote:

Oct 26 06 12:55 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Two weeks ago I wrote a check to a model who is 92.  She tells me she's thinking of retiring, though.

Oct 26 06 08:49 am Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

there are some cultures that define women "christmas cake", ie, if it isn't off the shelf before the 25th its to old...

i've seen some portfolios where the woman is being herself, acting her age and the shots look great.. like serena

then there are women who don't seem to know what they look like.. when they could be doing some refined poses that show off their age, they seem to be trying to use the camera as a time machine, as if some provocative pose might turn back the hands of time.. instead these poses make the model look older.. the picture of dorian grey turned inside out...

Oct 26 06 10:07 am Link

Photographer

Le Beck Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

Harold Rose wrote:

You just need to gain more experience in photography and life..  In past years I have shot 3 women for major (penthouse) sex magazines.. one over 50 the other over 40.
What is elderly themes  in your mind..

You took the words out of my mouth. So, Monica Bellucci as she appeared in the film Malena (2000) at age 36 was too old????? She's 43 now and perhaps even more beautiful.

Oct 26 06 11:22 am Link