Forums > General Industry > Retouching....My eyes have decieved me..

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Los Angeles, California, US

Ok,
So today I decided to look up a few prtfolios of photgraphers I adore. Yes I said adore...Deal with it..

Upon looking, I saw the usual awesome cpompositions and lighting. But something struck me that hadnt struck me before. The retouching. Very damned good retouching, but I didnt get the same WOW feeling I used to get back in the day from these very talented photgraphers. I've always used PS in one way or another on all of my shots. Thing is, as I went through PS classes, I have always tried to keep it minimal. I know we all have eyes that go beyond what the average person sees. But, I see some PS.VERY GOOD PS mind you, but I can still REALLY see it.

We all know just about every magazine uses PS to get that fashion look, or Maxim look, or " insert style here"

I guess I've been trying so hard to keep the PS looking natural while still creating the illusion of near perfection my eyes have changend.
It's really amazing to me, how I see things so much defferently now.

Anyone else have this experience?

Vance

Oct 23 06 05:47 am Link

Photographer

Archived

Phoenix, Arizona, US

i'm confused...
the guys you like use a lot, or not a lot, or there's a lot, but it's very good?

Oct 23 06 05:55 am Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Dave Wright Photo wrote:
i'm confused...
the guys you like use a lot, or not a lot, or there's a lot, but it's very good?

No, I would never say a matter of Toomuch..I know it depends a lot on taste..What I am saying is as I have grown and developed my own style and preference based on the project. As I look back on those I know and love, I am now seeing things I didnt see before, One thing I notice is the use of PS a tad heavier than I had previously noticed. Again, I think it is due to the fact that I have grown and I SEE more now.

Thats all, no slam to any of the photographers I look up too. As I said, these dudes rock, and are AWESOME shooters...

Vance

Oct 23 06 06:01 am Link

Photographer

RED Photographic

I think I have a similar problem with special effects in films (movies in American).

In the past, what you saw in a film was, pretty much, what happened.  Okay, there might've been stuntmen doubling for the real actors, and there were mats to break the falls of people who jumped, but you knew they were real people.  These days special effects leave me cold, because you know they're cgi stuff and not real.  That's why I couldn't be doing with the later Star Wars films, I felt I was watching cartoon characters, especially during the fights.  I kept expecting Scooby Doo to pop up to reveal that the guy in the silly mask was really Mr. Quigley from the store down the road.

Oct 23 06 06:09 am Link

Photographer

MoJo40

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I know what you mean....

Morpheus: This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You don't learn Photoshop - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You learn Photoshop you stay in Wonderland and you find out
how deep the rabbit-hole goes.

Cypher: I know what you're thinking, 'cause right now I'm thinking the same thing. Actually, I've been thinking it ever since I got here: Why oh why didn't I leave Photoshop alone?

:-)

Oct 23 06 06:09 am Link

Photographer

MoJo40

Baltimore, Maryland, US

RED Photographic wrote:
I think I have a similar problem with special effects in films (movies in American).

In the past, what you saw in a film was, pretty much, what happened.  Okay, there might've been stuntmen doubling for the real actors, and there were mats to break the falls of people who jumped, but you knew they were real people.  These days special effects leave me cold, because you know they're cgi stuff and not real.  That's why I couldn't be doing with the later Star Wars films, I felt I was watching cartoon characters, especially during the fights.  I kept expecting Scooby Doo to pop up to reveal that the guy in the silly mask was really Mr. Quigley from the store down the road.

How often do you hear the name, "Mr. Quigley".....  That just made my day....

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!

Oct 23 06 06:11 am Link

Photographer

RBDesign

North East, Maryland, US

Just about everything you see is in print or elsewhere has a "photoshopped" look. I actually think that it is expected now. That's why I am amused when I put up a barbie skin version of a photo and I get all kinds of negative reactions from the photo crowd here but when put to the test 9 times out of 10 every body who has a choice chooses the obviously not real version of the same image. Just about everything out there has an over the top look, even going toward cartoonish in a lot of cases.

Maybe it's just a phase.

RB

Oct 23 06 06:38 am Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

RBDesign wrote:
Just about everything you see is in print or elsewhere has a "photoshopped" look. I actually think that it is expected now. That's why I am amused when I put up a barbie skin version of a photo and I get all kinds of negative reactions from the photo crowd here but when put to the test 9 times out of 10 every body who has a choice chooses the obviously not real version of the same image. Just about everything out there has an over the top look, even going toward cartoonish in a lot of cases.

Maybe it's just a phase.

RB

I have to disagree to a certain extent here...WAY OVER the top only looks good to the model mayhem wannabes who dont know better.
I am not speaking of those kinds of shots. I too hate the plastic look.

I was simply stating that I can now see where some of the top photographers get there vibe from. In the past I simply didnt look at an mage in an overal capacity and much of the PS got by me. Which is good, that is how it should be. Now that I am quite adept in PS, I now see things differently and the post production is more evident to my eyes.

I might also ad, the OVER TOP PS suits models who have poor skin or poor looks. They love being over PS'd because it makes them feel good to see the illusion. Though, a good PS artist should be able to do it with out the plastic look that obviously stops where the clothing begins.

my .02

Oct 23 06 06:53 am Link

Photographer

Processed Pixels

Wauwatosa, Wisconsin, US

PS can be a great tool if you know when to use it. The plastic look in my opinion should be avoided at all cost. I personally live and breath PS and and find it interesting to see what others have done with it or what they perceive as having been PS'd. As said by a poster earlier, most people expect it and are starting to see PS where there is none.

PS is a powerful tool, just remember "with great power comes great responsibility"

Oct 23 06 07:32 am Link

Photographer

Miles Chandler

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

I agree. I try to keep my PS use functional.. tweak shadows, restore rich colors a bit (it's not like the raw shot is always what you were seeing when you took the pic, and I like rich color), and I don't mind wiping out a pimple or two (models thank you for it).

But the whole "liquid skin/layer a diffuse glow underneath so the model has no surface detail" look is going a bit too far, for my tastes. I learned in darkrooms though, so it's probably different for younger photogs who have no sense of what is "natural" or not.. and I'm not saying one is better than the other.

Oct 23 06 08:36 am Link