Forums > General Industry > Business cards...

Photographer

Jeff Searust

Austin, Texas, US

What do other photogs put on their business cards? I have some but they are bland white and just have name, number, etc. I was thinking about getting some photo cards made and just wanted to know what other info do you put on them? e-mail? Anything on the back?

Oct 22 06 09:15 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Shipstad

Burbank, California, US

I have a picture, Patrick Shipstad Photography, web address and cell phone. They can get my email through the web site. It's on good sturdy shiny stock paper. :-)

Oct 22 06 09:54 pm Link

Photographer

Jeff Searust

Austin, Texas, US

Oct 22 06 10:11 pm Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

I design and have my own cards printed on high quality glossy stock......

Here's the front

https://us.a2.yahoofs.com/groups/g_17459461/e3ee/__sr_/b730.jpg?grg0GPFB4DmW7Yq4

And the back

https://us.a2.yahoofs.com/groups/g_17459461/e3ee/__sr_/59c8.jpg?grIEHPFBbQeBcAze

I also carry a one-sided card specifically for modeling prospects....

https://us.a2.yahoofs.com/groups/g_17459461/e3ee/__sr_/8f42.jpg?grIEHPFBOlakGYEa

Oct 22 06 10:15 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Textured white card stock with dark blue name, "Photographer," and email address in the upper left hand corner in an easy-to-read blocky font leaving the rest of the card empty for hand-written notes and such.

No picture.  I don't want one picture, no matter how good, to define what every potential client or model or whatever will think of me.

-Don

Oct 22 06 10:20 pm Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

MORRISDALE, Pennsylvania, US

Jeff Genung wrote:
What do other photogs put on their business cards?

First off, I wouldn't list myself as a "photog" on my card. wink

This thread comes up periodically, you may want to search the forums.
https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=3274
https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=45034
etc...

I use a postcard instead of a business card. No sense jamming a tiny photo on a little piece of paper. Besides, a lot of bars have postcard holders and it's a lot of fun to stick a fine art nude in there with all the beer ads. Postcards are nice because there's also loads of room on the back. I hate crowded cards so I use a small font and have lots of negative space.

mjr.

Oct 22 06 10:20 pm Link

Photographer

Jeff Searust

Austin, Texas, US

D. Brian Nelson wrote:
Textured white card stock with dark blue name, "Photographer," and email address in the upper left hand corner in an easy-to-read blocky font leaving the rest of the card empty for hand-written notes and such.

No picture.  I don't want one picture, no matter how good, to define what every potential client or model or whatever will think of me.

-Don

That's about what I have now.

Oct 22 06 10:38 pm Link

Photographer

Jeff Searust

Austin, Texas, US

Marcus J. Ranum wrote:
First off, I wouldn't list myself as a "photog" on my card. wink

maybe GWC or GW Big C?

Actually your comment on thread_id=3274 is perhaps the best one I have found

Oct 22 06 10:40 pm Link

Photographer

RickHorowitzPhotography

Fresno, California, US

Wow.  Both of those cards are way cool. 

I especially liked the idea of having a separate one for model prospects.

Right now, I'm using a card from my other business (my law clerking office) and only give it to potential photography-business prospects if we're talking about it and they ask.  Everyone I talk to knows I'm just doing it part-time and by-appointment-only. 

But I'd like to figure out how to get a good card for the photo stuff.  I'm thinking of trying to create a logo that takes an old press camera -- like my Burke & James 4x5 -- and puts it on the end of a pistol-grip.  If I can pull that off and it looks good, I might actually sit down and design a photography-oriented card. 

-- rick

EDIT:  My bad.  I didn't want to re-quote the entire post to which I referred, with the sample business cards, so I deleted all that.  Hopefully, folks can figure out which post it was I referenced.

Oct 22 06 10:41 pm Link

Photographer

The Polaroid Guy

Grand Prairie, Texas, US

"ADAM JOHNSON

Since 1985"

smile

Oct 22 06 10:57 pm Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

So Shoot Me! wrote:

Right now, I'm using a card from my other business (my law clerking office) and only give it to potential photography-business prospects if we're talking about it and they ask.  Everyone I talk to knows I'm just doing it part-time and by-appointment-only. 

But I'd like to figure out how to get a good card for the photo stuff.  I'm thinking of trying to create a logo that takes an old press camera -- like my Burke & James 4x5 -- and puts it on the end of a pistol-grip.  If I can pull that off and it looks good, I might actually sit down and design a photography-oriented card. 

-- rick

EDIT:  My bad.  I didn't want to re-quote the entire post to which I referred, with the sample business cards, so I deleted all that.  Hopefully, folks can figure out which post it was I referenced.

Luckily I'm also a graphic artist....so whenever my cards run out I kick in a new design......actually I've gotten work designing cards for others......did a whole series for a local dance club so the girls could give out their own cards to regulars.....it's worked very well for them and I made a nice piece of change doing the shoots, designing the cards and having them printed......I use these guys on line and my cards are great.....high gloss both sides.....great colors.....and CHEAP!

http://gotprint.net/gotprint/welcome.do

Oct 23 06 07:36 am Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

So Shoot Me! wrote:

-- rick

Luckily I'm also a graphic artist....so whenever my cards run out I kick in a new design......actually I've gotten work designing cards for others......did a whole series for a local dance club so the girls could give out their own cards to regulars.....it's worked very well for them and I made a nice piece of change doing the shoots, designing the cards and having them printed......I use these guys on line and my cards are great.....high gloss both sides.....great colors.....and CHEAP!

http://gotprint.net/gotprint/welcome.do

Oct 23 06 07:36 am Link

Photographer

Dr Molly Black

Cleveland, Ohio, US

I also design my own cards, using my own images, that I've taken because it seems like the best way to showcase my work and multi-capabilities.

http://pics.livejournal.com/mollyblack/pic/0001b817 (photographer card)

http://pics.livejournal.com/mollyblack/pic/00012a6b (model card)

I have my livejournal contact information there, because I figure people can contact me via email if they're interested. My real business cards that I hand out to people have my business email. That's because right now my cell is being used for three different things and until I know what is what, I want to give it out sparingly - I can always write it on the back if I need to. Having one side blank allows me to write whatever I need to on it - and it does come in handy.

Okay, illness hitting me insanely hard. Back to laying down and waiting to hear from the doctor.

I'll be re-designing them soon. But for now they'll stay the way they are. People seem to like them. I use the heavy premium card on Vista Print and it's turned out great for me. I used to do all my printing at home, but I find they work out better. Less ridged edges to make it look half-arsed. If that type of language is allowed...

Oct 23 06 08:23 am Link

Photographer

RickHorowitzPhotography

Fresno, California, US

Yep.  I've always designed my own and usually they are well-received.  I just haven't figured out exactly what I want a photography-oriented card to look like yet. 

I'm working on the "So Shoot Me!" theme.  I like the font I've been using on my still-in-progress website (www.soshootme.com) and want to incorporate that somehow. One of my plans was for incorporating a photo with a 1920s-1940s-style model acting like someone was sticking her up (i.e., robbing her). But the stick-up man, instead of using a gun, was using a 4x5 press camera. 

Took me awhile to find the camera, but I recently got a Burke & James 4x5 from eBay.

Still haven't found a good model to work out the idea.  So right now I'm thinking of just creating myself a logo that incorporates the aforementioned type-face with a silhouette of a Burke & James attached to a pistol grip. 

If I come up with a workable look from it, I'll post it (via hyperlink) on my profile here.

-- rick

Oct 23 06 08:35 am Link

Photographer

ward

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

White card. Name, number, e-mail in black text.

Oct 23 06 08:38 am Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Front:

https://erocrush.com/extra_images/crushfront.jpg

Back:

https://erocrush.com/extra_images/crushback.jpg

Oct 23 06 08:44 am Link

Photographer

ward

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Melvin Moten Jr wrote:
Front:

Back:

I like those lot. One of the coolest photo cards I've seen. Nice.

Oct 23 06 08:47 am Link

Photographer

Fantasy On Film

Detroit, Michigan, US

See my avatar.

Oliver

Oct 23 06 08:49 am Link

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

My cards are so out dated. Thanks for the reminder, I really need to update my design.

Gary

Oct 23 06 08:51 am Link

Photographer

far away

Jackson, Alabama, US

I hate my business cards. I made the mistake of picking out a template from Vista Print. Now, I have a box of 500 that I don't like. I really need to get new ones.

Oct 23 06 08:59 am Link

Photographer

photoartproject

Brooklyn, New York, US

Minimal with the relevant information [your name, telephone, email and website]
no photograph [a bit tacky]
no flashy graphics,
use Museum Board instead of a Card
white on white [emboss]
or light gray on white

Oct 23 06 09:06 am Link

Photographer

Passion Junk

Any tips for a student just getting into the field? What should I put on a card?

Oct 23 06 09:06 am Link

Photographer

ward

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Passion Junk wrote:
Any tips for a student just getting into the field? What should I put on a card?

Name, Number, e-mail, website link if you have one. That's all they need.

Oct 23 06 09:10 am Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

RE-A A wrote:
Minimal with the relevant information [your name, telephone, email and website]
no photograph [a bit tacky]
no flashy graphics,
use Museum Board instead of a Card
white on white [emboss]
or light gray on white

For an art photographer.....that may work.....

But if you plan on making a living at it......it's way to expensive and clients like more information......

Oct 23 06 10:01 am Link

Photographer

Veteres Vitri

MAYLENE, Alabama, US

My buisness card says

"Cecil Sharps

Potential lunch Winner"

rip Mitch Hedburg

Oct 23 06 10:13 am Link

Photographer

Artistic Impressions

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

I found a great online printer that may work.You can upload an image to it ,and customize the design quite a bit.They also have a few "stock images"i.e. roll of film,a camera,and a couple of "models"pics as well.I personally just put my "business name' at the top,followed by my name.The remaining info on the cars,my complete address,home phone,cell phone,email address and website.The prices are very reasonale and fast delivery.Price about $20/100 cards.Reorders about $15/100.Check it out.

PrintsMadeEasy.com

Oct 23 06 10:19 am Link

Photographer

JaysonPolansky com

Sedona, Arizona, US

https://jaysonpolansky.com/images/sample2006.jpg
I get these printed 4x6 as an actual photograph. Ink-Jet prints aren't as durable. I cut them into 4's. Each card averages out to about 5 cents each (based on the typical 19 cents per print cost).

The cost is very justified when you see the wow in peoples faces when a photographer hand them a photograph as there card.

Oct 23 06 10:44 am Link

Photographer

Dr Molly Black

Cleveland, Ohio, US

Digital Basement Studio wrote:
https://jaysonpolansky.com/images/sample2006.jpg
I get these printed 4x6 as an actual photograph. Ink-Jet prints aren't as durable. I cut them into 4's. Each card averages out to about 5 cents each (based on the typical 19 cents per print cost).

The cost is very justified when you see the wow in peoples faces when a photographer hand them a photograph as there card.

I use full photographs of the model I love working with and of myself (self-portrait close up of face) as my backgrounds as well. I use Vista Print and design it myself using the template (just remember to flatten to have it at 300 dpi and their small size in meg requirements) and with their sales I usually get 250 for free every six months with me paying an extra $4- for another 250 and the shipping and handling costs the most. That way I don't have to cut them and I have them on the heavier stock which just looks and feels amazing. I recommend going glossy isntead of matte for photographer/model cards. I got matte by accident once and it looks terrible in comparison. The writing doesn't jump out at you as much.

What to put on it?
Name, website (get one, even a simple three page will be worth it from a place like godaddy), email address, and if you can your phone number. Preferably a business line or if you're just starting out make your cell into your business line. And definitely an image by you. Don't use a template with an image by somebody else. It's way too tacky. "Ohhhh! What a nice rose!" "Ummmm, I didn't take that, it was just a template I chose." Of course telling a lie would be SO much better. Yuck.

And yes, a photographer did that on a card he showed me and we had the interchange that you just read - which is why I learned never to use a template image for your own photographer business card.

Oct 23 06 11:12 am Link

Photographer

JaysonPolansky com

Sedona, Arizona, US

No templates, Exactly
You have to use your own images.
I am sure I could save money buying in bulk. I just print them as I need them and can change out the images at will.

Oct 23 06 11:17 am Link

Photographer

photoartproject

Brooklyn, New York, US

FKVPhotoGraphics wrote:

For an art photographer.....that may work.....

But if you plan on making a living at it......it's way to expensive and clients like more information......

In my opinion Photography is Art and a business card does represent what kind of artist/photographer you are, if you think commercial photography is not art then i disagree of course there are lots of non creative people with degree/experience etc etc but for starters a good photographer is an artist regardless of his/her concentration

Oct 23 06 11:30 am Link

Model

DELETE ACCOUNT

Eškašem, Badakhshan, Afghanistan

Rossi Photography wrote:
I hate my business cards. I made the mistake of picking out a template from Vista Print. Now, I have a box of 500 that I don't like. I really need to get new ones.

big_smile  ... been there, too.

Oct 23 06 11:38 am Link

Photographer

Kelly Talele

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I think I posted in one of the other business card threads, but I couldn't find it.  LOL

I designed my cards so they would match my web site.  I had them printed through PrintingforLess.com and was very pleased with the results.

Front:

https://www.eclecticphoto.com/images/card_front.jpg

Back:

https://www.eclecticphoto.com/images/card_back.jpg

I actually modified the back by squaring off the images and removing the text, so that's a little different.

I had them printed on glossy stock and ordered the protective coating so the black won't get too many smudges.

Oct 23 06 11:47 am Link

Photographer

CaneegaPhotography

Dublin, Georgia, US

https://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1359/4684670/9899229/198315513.jpg
My card order from overnightprints....wish I'ld looked at some of the other designs in this thread before placing the order, really nice card designs.

Oct 23 06 11:56 am Link

Photographer

aesthetix photo

Macon, Georgia, US

Rossi Photography wrote:

Take a stack of them to your local music gear shop and post a flyer for band photos.  Tack about 10 or 20 cards to the flyer.  By the weekend, you'll be out of cards and will have a few bands willing to pay for your next batch of cards, easily.  Anytime I need quick cash, I hit up the local bands and get enough quick and easy business to put $ back in pocket.

Or you can drive around town and leave one in every "Win a Free Lunch" fishbowl you can find  smile

Oct 23 06 12:19 pm Link

Photographer

duds here

Chicago, Illinois, US

I have a post card business card, I put my name and number on the front in case someone puts it on the wall you need your name and number seen so they don't have to flip the card everytime to remind them who has that great picture.

On the back put web page etc.

I made a few samples took them to Kinkos to have a group made up and when passing out the cards fanned them out like cards and had people pick which ones they liked, this told me which picture was best to go to print with.

Market research I guess before spending the bucks to print something most people don't like.

Oct 23 06 12:36 pm Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

I have an eye chart.

Still debating on whether I should spring for full pimp status and get plastic or metallic cards.

Oct 23 06 12:42 pm Link

Photographer

Angela Bording

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

On one side, I have a full bleed colour photo (in my portfolio - it's the one of the girls feet next to the black & white of her upper body). On the other, I have a faded black & white image (a close up of a guy player a guitar (my main passion is doing music photography)) with my info over top. They could have been done better, but I was in a rush to have them done before an exhibition in June.

I also have some model-esque 4x6 "comp cards" that I sometimes hand out with/instead of business cards. Pretty much just 4 of my images with my contact info on the bottom, printed with my inkjet on some cheap glossy paper. These were what I used before I got business cards printed and I still have some lying around, so I still use them. People seemed to like them though, so I think I'll make up some new ones soon.

Oct 23 06 01:00 pm Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

RE-A A wrote:

In my opinion Photography is Art and a business card does represent what kind of artist/photographer you are, if you think commercial photography is not art then i disagree of course there are lots of non creative people with degree/experience etc etc but for starters a good photographer is an artist regardless of his/her concentration

My only point was putting business cards on artboard is cost prohibitive if you plan on being a commercial photographer....which is what I do. I hand out too many cards on a daily basis.

Oct 23 06 01:04 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

Melvin Moten Jr wrote:
Front:

Back:

Looking back on this thread, I have come to realize just how professional these cards look. So simple, direct and to the point. Great job on designing them...

Gary

Oct 23 06 01:07 pm Link