Forums > General Industry > Help MM, Scam or not?

Photographer

eric krumm

Athens, Georgia, US

i'm just glad you don't let pride get in the way of asking questions and learning.

so many think they know it all and bad stuff happens to them because they get so full of themselves.

Oct 23 06 12:53 pm Link

Photographer

eric krumm

Athens, Georgia, US

{laggy server double post}

Oct 23 06 01:00 pm Link

Model

Angelus

Atlanta, Georgia, US

http://home.rica.net/alphae/419coal/

This email is just one of the variations of the Nigeria Scam.

Follow the links ono this page.
http://www.ask.com/web?q=419+nigeria+scam

Oct 23 06 01:11 pm Link

Model

LORA

Washington, District of Columbia, US

You may want to remove your email address from your profile. Any member here can just pm you for that information.

Oct 23 06 01:14 pm Link

Photographer

Nihilus

Nashville, Tennessee, US

e-string wrote:
Obviously a scam.

*gasp!*

Oct 23 06 01:19 pm Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

e-string wrote:
Obviously a scam.

Horrible English = scam.

Too good to be true = scam.

Hiring you without seeing you in person = scam.

Ditto...and if he's sending money first, he's probably going to send a fake money order or something. Have you heard of the Nigeria scam? http://home.rica.net/alphae/419coal/ No professional offering $100,000 would ever fail to capitalize every single I in their email. You just have to use your head about this stuff. You're not going to make $100,000 in one shot as an internet model...that's just rediculous.

Oct 23 06 01:20 pm Link

Photographer

Nihilus

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Kaitlin Lara wrote:
You're not going to make $100,000 in one shot as an internet model...that's just rediculous.

I'm not? sad

*sulkily closes window of nearly completed MM Model bio profile submission*

Oct 23 06 01:21 pm Link

Photographer

CW Sr

Columbus, Ohio, US

John Jebbia wrote:
Yes. He will send you a check for $5000. You will deposit into your bank. It will bounce. He will get the cancelled check back and then use the information on it to clear out your bank account.

This is exactly what it is. I'm a national identity theft expert in my field and although this simply has to do with the financial part of identity theft [the smallest form of id theft] it is still a very serious one.
Another key thing to watch for is when people are trying to sound "too" intelligent.
Run away, don't look back and stop being so susceptible to these people. MM saved you from a scam a couple weeks ago? Now this one? Are you really that ignorant?
My apologies, but c'mon already. I love your work, you are perfect for my project. I'll pay you $20,000 after completion of my project and $3,000 up front balloon payment. Are you in. I need to know right now. There are a lot of other girls that will want this gig. haha oooh oooh it's real he's going to pay me first.
What you need to do is PM me so maybe I can help educate you a little more on identity theft. Seriously, all jokes aside now. You're just asking to have your life stolen. I'll watch for your email.

Corey

Oct 23 06 01:23 pm Link

Model

Mandi Hill

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

Dont do it. It's a scam!!!!! I've been scammed by some people claiming their from the UK when they are actually stationed somewhere in the states. Save your money....sad

Oct 23 06 01:24 pm Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

e-string wrote:
That's definitely not true.

Lol...so right...and that shouldn't be what convinces you it's a scam. E-string was right on about her first post. Your scam radar should've been going off from the start. If you can't tell this is a scam just from the way this guy talks, and the things he's offering, you're almost certain to get screwed over by someone.

Oct 23 06 01:25 pm Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

Nihilus wrote:

I'm not? sad

*sulkily closes window of nearly completed MM Model bio profile submission*

Well your sexy self might wink

Oct 23 06 01:32 pm Link

Photographer

DAVE MCFARLANE

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

so dani, have you run these possible scams past your parents? wouldn't they be a good sounding-board for these questions? or are they unaware of your modelling aspirations...

Oct 23 06 01:36 pm Link

Photographer

CW Sr

Columbus, Ohio, US

hahah ok wow. I totally disregarded her age. I was un aware she was 17. No wonder she thinks she is worth $100k for a photoshoot... O.o

Oct 23 06 01:52 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher b Smyth

Airdrie, Alberta, Canada

John Jebbia wrote:
Yes. He will send you a check for $5000. You will deposit into your bank. It will bounce. He will get the cancelled check back and then use the information on it to clear out your bank account. Something like that. Tell him you will only accept a money order. Watch how fast he disapears.

Yes this is a true scam, if they want to send money ask for money order. There is a thread on here somewhere about the Nigerian scam and this is just a take off of that.
Also did you apply to an advert for this work?
Another one is a lottery winning email I get many ,they are all scams to try and get into your bank account and clean it out. The best thing to do is forget about it , but I often have thought about replyng and asking to send a money order as John mentioned.
Bet we would get nothing

https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=82286

Christopher b

Oct 23 06 01:56 pm Link

Model

Burnz F

San Diego, California, US

Dani16 wrote:
Just a Question though, He will be Sending money first, so if it is a scam What would he be scamming for ?

think about it, would YOU send someone 5000 dollars without seeing them in person, and not knowing if the model is even legit...?? without any guarantee that the model would even show up and not just flee away with 5 grand...??
hmmmm...

Oct 23 06 01:57 pm Link

Model

Danielle Rose T

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Corey Wellman wrote:
hahah ok wow. I totally disregarded her age. I was un aware she was 17. No wonder she thinks she is worth $100k for a photoshoot... O.o

I Never Once thought that i was at all worth $100K for a shoot !And age has nothing to do with it, would you guys please stop flaming me about my age.

I KNOW THAT THIS IS A SCAM!
I HAVEN'T BEEN SCAMMED, I'M CHECKING TO SEE WHAT HE COULD DO IF I DID SEND HIM MY INFO !!!
IM SORRY THAT IM NOT AWARE OF EVERYTHING THAT CAN HAPPEN TO ME IN THIS WORLD BUT I AM TRYING TO LEARN AND YOU COULD ATLEAST CREDIT ME FOR NOT FALLING FOR THE TRICKS!

IF YOU ARE HERE TO INSULT MY AGE OR INTELLIGENCE YOU CAN FORGET IT. ITS ALL BEEN SAID BEFORE.
THANK YOU TO THE PEOPLE THAT ARE ACUALLY GIVING ADVICE AND ARE BEING THE TRUE PROFESSIONALS RIGHT NOW.

Oct 23 06 10:57 pm Link

Model

Fede Rhodes

Madrid, Madrid, Spain

Yes,,Dani you are right. I dont think that its ok to make fun of the girl. Anyone can be scammed,SHE HAVENT been scammed just asked for help here,And I think shes right about researching before calling everything an scam. Ive worked throu the interenet and fly to another country for work,it may be scam but it wasnt,he booked the flight and hotel the man was nice to me I got my money and back home....So who knows maybe some of you are missing good jobs by calling everything a SCAM.
good luck to everybody I hate SCAms and ahve recieved emails many times from "big managers" etc,etc What can we do?,you jsut ahve to research.
BUt please be careful it s not just about money.you dont know what anybody can do with your full name address and phone,you can end getting involved in any kind of fraud or debt or fly somewhere and be forced to do whatever to be able to fly home so BE CAREFUL. Good luck Dani

Oct 24 06 02:44 am Link

Model

Danielle Rose T

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Ngomo wrote:
Yes,,Dani you are right. I dont think that its ok to make fun of the girl. Anyone can be scammed,SHE HAVENT been scammed just asked for help here,And I think shes right about researching before calling everything an scam. Ive worked throu the interenet and fly to another country for work,it may be scam but it wasnt,he booked the flight and hotel the man was nice to me I got my money and back home....So who knows maybe some of you are missing good jobs by calling everything a SCAM.
good luck to everybody I hate SCAms and ahve recieved emails many times from "big managers" etc,etc What can we do?,you jsut ahve to research.
BUt please be careful it s not just about money.you dont know what anybody can do with your full name address and phone,you can end getting involved in any kind of fraud or debt or fly somewhere and be forced to do whatever to be able to fly home so BE CAREFUL. Good luck Dani

Thanks very much for your response, useful information that will keep us all aware of the facts.

Oct 25 06 12:53 am Link