Photographer

Ron Casas Photography

Chapin, South Carolina, US

I am living my dream, I have the opportunity to “work” at a job that I love. I find it frustrating that the best part of the job is done the least “Shooting.” Marketing, networking, looking for the next job, and sometimes just sitting on my ass bored to death happens a lot more than “work.” I find it ironic that shooting boring items makes me more income than shooting stuff that is more interesting to shoot. I.E.: in the last couple of weeks I have shot with about six models that earned me zilch..... I shot one dump truck for two hrs. a few bankers, a couple of babies, an author, a family with their dog, and a wedding and was well paid, I am glad I have not been forced to choose between the two different types of jobs as of yet, the both have their advantages one I get to shoot what I like the others pay….. My hope is to be paid to shoot every job, but it is hard to compete with free, there just seems to be a lot of photographers that will shoot models for TFP/CD (free). I know it is a choice I have to make but if I would like to work with models it seems the only way is to do it on a TFP/CD basis or pay them (yeah right). I will be paid by mothers with babies, brides, and bankers, working with babes (models) as of yet has gotten me only about $1500.00 in the last two years. That is a small fraction of income for that time frame. I feel my work is good enough to be paid  to enhance a models portfolio. Why would they use me when there are ten other photographers within a 50 mile radius that will shoot for free? Of course it does not help that seven of the ten photographers have other day jobs and shoot for fun, and do a good job shooting as well. I wish I could tell the models you get what you pay for but in most cases the guys shooting for free do a great job. So what to do is my dilemma, I guess I will look at it as my creative outlet and on occasion shoot on a TFP/ CD basis.

All that being said…. Any models looking for a TFP/CD shoot SC????

Ron

Oct 22 06 01:43 pm Link