Forums > General Industry > is it stuck up of me to ask questions?

Model

Sunrise 101

Los Angeles, California, US

Someone just hit me up on the IM, told me he hires for playboy, and hollister to name a couple, i asked him for his company name and contact information, so i could do my research on him, he got really offended and told me he doesnt have time for me im too stuck up and there are 100 other girls waiting to be discovered, im curious as to where i went wrong, arent i suppose to ask questions so that i know what im getting myself into, i mean he even said he hires all around the world and needed to do an webcam interview and an audition.........sounded like a bunch of bull to me but tell me if im wrong

Oct 21 06 08:06 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Scam. it's just some GWC

Oct 21 06 08:07 pm Link

Photographer

Telephoto Studio

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

he seems stuck up - if he can't provide you with his bona fides and let you perform due diligence on him, he is probably isn't for real and you are better off not even dealing with him

Oct 21 06 08:08 pm Link

Model

Teri Hofford

Not wrong at all!!  Someone just recently posted about a guy who sent her the same message sort of message and she began asking questions and he flipped out on her too....definately NOT legit.  And there's absolutely nothing wrong wtih asking questions.  You are not stuck up at all.

Oct 21 06 08:08 pm Link

Photographer

far away

Jackson, Alabama, US

Sunrise 101 wrote:
...told me he hires for playboy

It cracks me up when I read profiles, or hear of people portraying to models that they represent Playboy, have shot for Playboy, have Playboy contacts, got so and so in Playboy, whatever..

YEAH, RIGHT!

Here's an article that some might want to read--

http://www.onemodelplace.com/doc_glidew … layboy.cfm

Oct 21 06 08:16 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Rossi Photography wrote:

It cracks me up when I read profiles, or hear of people portraying to models that they represent Playboy, have shot for Playboy, have Playboy contacts, whatever..

YEAH, RIGHT!

http://member.onemodelplace.com/doc_gli … layboy.cfm

if you aren't an OMP member change the word "member" to "www" and you'll be able to read it

Oct 21 06 08:18 pm Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

You did the right thing...if something sounds too good to be true, definitely question it. 99% of the time this stuff is scams.

Oct 21 06 08:18 pm Link

Photographer

Sean Abel Photography

Newburgh, New York, US

this guy has done this to several other models. do not believe anything he says

Oct 21 06 08:20 pm Link

Model

Nicole0425

Brighton, Michigan, US

Sunrise 101 wrote:
Someone just hit me up on the IM, told me he hires for playboy, and hollister to name a couple, i asked him for his company name and contact information, so i could do my research on him, he got really offended and told me he doesnt have time for me im too stuck up and there are 100 other girls waiting to be discovered, im curious as to where i went wrong, arent i suppose to ask questions so that i know what im getting myself into, i mean he even said he hires all around the world and needed to do an webcam interview and an audition.........sounded like a bunch of bull to me but tell me if im wrong

Did you just get this IM today?? Because I GOT THE SAME THING!! Because I asked for stuff too! (Like MM# or anything) And he told me he was too busy. That he just goes on here & other modeling websites looking for people. I'm actually happy that I wasn't the only putting up with his crap! He wanted me to do a webcam interview right then & there & was VERY persistant about it!

Oct 21 06 08:23 pm Link

Model

Sunrise 101

tHANX HE LEFT ME A LIL UNEASY, IM AM A REALLY LAID BACK AND COOL PERSON SO FOR SOMEONE TO SAY SUCH A THING TO ME WHEN I AM ONLY DOING WHAT EVERY MODEL SHOULD,.........RESEARCH!

Oct 21 06 08:25 pm Link

Model

Sunrise 101

Nicole0425 wrote:

Did you just get this IM today?? Because I GOT THE SAME THING!! Because I asked for stuff too! (Like MM# or anything) And he told me he was too busy. That he just goes on here & other modeling websites looking for people. I'm actually happy that I wasn't the only putting up with his crap! He wanted me to do a webcam interview right then & there & was VERY persistant about it!

Oct 21 06 08:31 pm Link

Model

Sunrise 101

YES HE WANTED A WEBCAM INTERVIEW.....LOL, IM GLAD IM SMART ENOUGH NOT TO FALL FOR THAT ONE

Oct 21 06 08:31 pm Link

Photographer

Kinetic Photography

Rossi Photography wrote:

It cracks me up when I read profiles, or hear of people portraying to models that they represent Playboy, have shot for Playboy, have Playboy contacts, whatever..

YEAH, RIGHT!

Do you realize how many GWC's are going to be pissed off at that article ?  HAHA.

Oct 21 06 08:45 pm Link

Photographer

far away

Jackson, Alabama, US

Kinetic Photography wrote:

Do you realize how many GWC's are going to be pissed off at that article ?  HAHA.

Yeah, no doubt! Lol...

Oct 21 06 08:47 pm Link

Model

Adrienne Aurora

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Why I only IM with people I know.

Oct 21 06 08:47 pm Link

Photographer

Kas_

Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada

lol...if someone starts to bite your head off over asking a few questions dont bother with them.  I don't have a lot of experience but have lots of good refrences and good feedback.

Oct 21 06 08:54 pm Link

Photographer

Kinetic Photography

Sunrise 101 wrote:

Dont take this the wrong way, but I dont think you are Playboy or Hollister material.

Oct 21 06 09:03 pm Link

Photographer

RBDesign

North East, Maryland, US

Dont take this the wrong way, but I dont think you are Playboy or Hollister material.

I think it is "stuck up" (I haven't heard that since I was in high school) of you to start such a bullshit thread like you have any idea.

RB

Oct 21 06 09:06 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

Sunrise 101 wrote:

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

If a photographer makes such claims and asks for a "webcam interview" and reacts that way when you question him, there are only 2 possibilities:

1 - The guy is a liar. He has no connections to the modeling industry whatsoever. He just wants to wack-off to you on a webcam. This is 99% likely.

2 - The guy is telling the truth, but is such a pretentious assclown that you don't want to work with the nimrod anyway. This is 1% likely.

Take your pick.

Oct 21 06 09:09 pm Link

Photographer

Kinetic Photography

RBDesign wrote:

I think it is "stuck up" (I haven't heard that since I was in high school) of you to start such a bullshit thread like you have any idea.

RB

Who are you refering too ?

Oct 21 06 09:12 pm Link

Photographer

RBDesign

North East, Maryland, US

Who are you refering too ?

The original poster, poser, whatever.

Oct 21 06 09:13 pm Link

Photographer

Sockpuppet Studios

San Francisco, California, US

RBDesign wrote:

RB

Why is this a bulllshit thread?
She has an idea that it was a scam just because someone may be new at modeling, doesn't mean they are new at life.

When I put up my first modleign images up on OMP and only had one or two shoots under my belt I still had an pretty good bullshit radar.

Oct 21 06 09:53 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

I commend you on being responsible enough to ask questions.  Kudos!  ;-)

Sunrise 101 wrote:

Oct 21 06 10:16 pm Link

Photographer

photographybyStavros

Bainbridge Island, Washington, US

I am sorry this happened to you. While I  myself don't have direct contact's with any magazines. I know people that do,including Playboy.

Oct 21 06 10:19 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

There should be more articles like this in the world.  ;-)

Sunrise 101 wrote:
...told me he hires for playboy

Rossi Photography wrote:
It cracks me up when I read profiles, or hear of people portraying to models that they represent Playboy, have shot for Playboy, have Playboy contacts, got so and so in Playboy, whatever..

YEAH, RIGHT!

Oct 21 06 10:28 pm Link

Photographer

Miles Chandler

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Great article- but I especially loved this part:
Myth two: My Photos Will Get You In Playboy.

As humbling as it may be to glamour photographers, they are not an important factor in Playboy submissions. Some photographers will claim "I shot so and so and she then appeared in Playboy" as if there were a connection between the two. "But there is not one photographer out there that has a style unique enough to get models consistently approved for Playboy" according to Kuster. "No one needs a stylized, amazing photographer to get you into the magazine. If you are a beautiful woman, snapshots will do the trick. Eight quick snapshots changed Jenny McCarthy's life."

In fact, submitting beautiful, carefully prepared photos is a waste of time. Playboy editors assume that such images have been cleaned-up, liquified, or otherwise enhanced. Playboy editors want to see the girl, not the wizardry of a photographer. So submissions to Playboy should always be recent, unretouched photos.

And for major modeling agencies, it's often a similar point of view. If they want you, they'll know from any decent shots you send, and they'll take it from there.
"Webcam interview!" sheesh..

Oct 22 06 12:34 am Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

i hope you know you are right
and no one legit or reasonable minds you checking

Oct 22 06 12:40 am Link

Photographer

photosbydmp

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

you picked it indeed, gwc or just another dude giving good photographers a bad name.

Oct 22 06 12:41 am Link

Model

Sunrise 101

I love constructive critisicm, so all opinions are welcome , including people that like to hate and put me down, like your comment above, I was not asking for everyones opinion on whether or not I should work for Playboy or Hollister, the topic was if it is rude of me to ask questions about a job.  But once again thank you for your opinion! 
All opinions good or bad, all help me do better!

Oct 22 06 01:18 pm Link

Model

Sunrise 101

Oct 22 06 01:19 pm Link