Forums > General Industry > Is Suicide Girls doing a big promo effort?

Photographer

RBDesign

North East, Maryland, US

I have had 3 models contact me in the last few days to do suicide girls sets for them. I was wondering if they have a big model push on right now? Are they still paying peanuts per set and wanting exclusive images?

RB

Oct 21 06 03:53 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Melvin

Kansas City, Missouri, US

A better question is whether they've changed their contract for photographers. I wouldn't touch it unless I was being really well compensated.

Oct 21 06 03:55 pm Link

Photographer

far away

Jackson, Alabama, US

I've done one shoot for SG. They only pay the photog $200 and take all rights.

I've had two from myspace contact me for an SG shoot in the last couple weeks.

Oct 21 06 03:55 pm Link

Photographer

Real people

Chicago, Illinois, US

I'm a new photographer without very much experience, but do you mean there is a place that pays photographers to take pictures of models?

How good do you have to be, and how do you find the models?

Thank you for any help you can give me, including tips on learning how to be a better photographer.

Oct 21 06 03:56 pm Link

Model

Erin Blair

Hampton, Virginia, US

RBDesign wrote:
I have had 3 models contact me in the last few days to do suicide girls sets for them. I was wondering if they have a big model push on right now? Are they still paying peanuts per set and wanting exclusive images?

RB

The CSI NY episode last week featured the Suicide Girls, maybe thats why so many people are contacting you about it.

Oct 21 06 03:58 pm Link

Photographer

RBDesign

North East, Maryland, US

I have done a couple of sets for friends over a year ago. Last I remember they paid virtually nothing for the set, wanted exclusive rights to the photos, and wanted the models to only do work for SG. Not a great deal if you ask me.
I kind of remember they toned things down a while back for some reason. I was just wondering if they have a big push for new content/models or it is a weird coincidence that I was contacted by 3 models in a few days (all local) for SG shoots.
The models actually told me SG are recommending they find photographers through MM

RB

Oct 21 06 04:00 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

they are also doing some "suicide girls tour". I don't know if they are musically talented SG's or what but I keep getting myspace bulletins about it

Oct 21 06 04:00 pm Link

Photographer

RBDesign

North East, Maryland, US

Real people wrote:
I'm a new photographer without very much experience, but do you mean there is a place that pays photographers to take pictures of models?

How good do you have to be, and how do you find the models?

Thank you for any help you can give me, including tips on learning how to be a better photographer.

News flash, lots and lots of content companys and web sites pay you for shoots. You can find the models just about anywhere (like here). Last but not least you can be a terrible photographer depending on what content people are looking for, or you need to be really really good. It all depends on who your market is.
The one thing you have to be is prolific :-)

RB

Oct 21 06 04:04 pm Link

Photographer

far away

Jackson, Alabama, US

RBDesign wrote:
I have done a couple of sets for friends over a year ago. Last I remember they paid virtually nothing for the set, wanted exclusive rights to the photos, and wanted the models to only do work for SG. Not a great deal if you ask me.
I kind of remember they toned things down a while back for some reason. I was just wondering if they have a big push for new content/models or it is a weird coincidence that I was contacted by 3 models in a few days (all local) for SG shoots.
The models actually told me SG are recommending they find photographers through MM

RB

I think they may be running short of models/new sets. I've noticed the last two/three months, in their Myspace blog where they are 'supposed' to post a new set every day.. they are posting older sets. Which leads me to believe they are in need of new ones. So, I don't know... maybe they are pushing it somewhere.

Oct 21 06 04:04 pm Link

Photographer

j-shooter

San Francisco, California, US

RBDesign wrote:
The CSI NY episode last week featured the Suicide Girls, maybe thats why so many people are contacting you about it.

NICE traffic!

Oct 22 06 12:28 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

RBDesign wrote:

RB

That's interesting because they even show up here from time to time to try and defend themselves over their contract terms and conditions... and it never seems to work.

There are photographers here that have just bought their first camera and guys [and girls] here that have been in the business of photography for years... even decades. There are also people here that have worked in many non-photographic but related trades and professions - journalism, design, law, publishing... ect. Not one, that I can recall, has ever called the SG contract something to aspire to... and most simply consider it an out-and-out rights grab with compensation not even close to what would be equitable, reasonable or a fair exchange for what they are asking in the way of rights.

You would think they would be smart enough to not recommend photographers from MM where the mere mention of their name usually starts a rather full and frank discussion of their contracts... and never seems to end in any way favouring their business and contractual model for getting photography for their operation.

Studio36

Oct 22 06 03:51 am Link

Makeup Artist

Shandra Jade

Portland, Oregon, US

In some of the tattoo groups on myspace recently someone was posting bulletins and topics on applying to be a Suicide Girl, so I DO think they are pushing to get more girls right now.

Oct 22 06 03:59 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Rossi Photography wrote:
I think they may be running short of models/new sets. I've noticed the last two/three months, in their Myspace blog where they are 'supposed' to post a new set every day.. they are posting older sets. Which leads me to believe they are in need of new ones. So, I don't know... maybe they are pushing it somewhere.

More likely they are running short of models that can get photographers to shoot under the the terms and conditions of their contracts. There is less likelihood that they are running short of wannabe alt "models" whose ONLY chance EVER to model will be on SG. But if they can't get the photos, for the pittance they usually have on offer to the photographer, then that's just too bad for them. Boo-hoo!

Shandra Jade wrote:
In some of the tattoo groups on myspace recently someone was posting bulletins and topics on applying to be a Suicide Girl, so I DO think they are pushing to get more girls right now.

As a side note they also have started pushing their stuff, through a broker, to the non-exclusive "adult" website market. That may not be a matter of much or any public discussion but it is certainly a matter of open knowledge in the "adult" industry and has been discussed here on MM.

Studio36

Oct 22 06 04:02 am Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

Shandra Jade wrote:

Well thank god!  They certainly don't have enough low quality photos of exploited mediocre alternative models right now.

Oct 22 06 04:04 am Link

Photographer

Simmons Tobias Photo

San Francisco, California, US

Jphoto wrote:

I find it humourous that SG is targeting old people now.

Oct 22 06 04:08 am Link

Photographer

LightLab Studios

Seattle, Washington, US

doesn't surprise me if they are running into shortages on photosets. they made asses of themselves treating models and photogs like crap. like wynd says, most of their content is piss poor. i shot a set as a favor for a model. they told me to photoshop over 60 images (the model had some "issues"), so i told them it was $75/hour. and i never signed their stupid work-for-hire contract. uggh.

what's the deal with lithium picnic? he must keep the rights to his images; have a special arrangement with them.

Oct 22 06 04:12 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

LightLab Studios wrote:
what's the deal with lithium picnic? he must keep the rights to his images; have a special arrangement with them.

Lithium Picnic's deal is he's one of their biggest names so he doesn't get fucked with as much as other photographers...  His other deal is they keep him in enough models to keep him flush on any day he decides to work... he shoots 10-15 sets per day... each garnering him $200... not bad if it is guaranteed volume.

Oct 22 06 10:44 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Are they doing a big promo?

I'd say yes... https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=83960

Oct 22 06 10:45 am Link

Photographer

Scott Evans Photography

Houston, Alaska, US

I got the same information, they sent me their contract and I said NO! 

They were going to pay me $100.00 ONLY and this was AFTER I took the images and sent them to SG for approval and IF they liked them then they wold pay me. 

If you read the contract you will see that you must sign the contract first before you sendthe pics, which means once you send them in you will never get paid!

Oct 22 06 10:47 am Link

Photographer

RBDesign

North East, Maryland, US

Emotive Photography wrote:
I got the same information, they sent me their contract and I said NO! 

They were going to pay me $100.00 ONLY and this was AFTER I took the images and sent them to SG for approval and IF they liked them then they wold pay me. 

If you read the contract you will see that you must sign the contract first before you sendthe pics, which means once you send them in you will never get paid!

The couple of models that I talked to are looking to find/hire their own photographers because SG does not have any under contract in the area. The models may be confused but they believe that they will be paid $500/set. That sounds a bit different from what I understood SG contracts looked like a year or so ago.
Some of the friends that I shot some sets for really liked doing SG and others hated them but were filling some money gaps.

As someone else mentioned consistent 10-15 sets a day at $200/set is not bad money but you can do much better shooting almost any other exclusive content. Any way trying to do more than 6-7 sets a day is a real grind and usually a big sacrifice in quality.

RB

Oct 22 06 11:49 am Link

Photographer

Moore Photo Graphix

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Jessalyn_54 wrote:
they are also doing some "suicide girls tour". I don't know if they are musically talented SG's or what but I keep getting myspace bulletins about it

It's a burlesque. It's coming to my neck of the woods this week (B-more on the 24th and Falls Church on 25th).

Oct 22 06 08:51 pm Link

Model

Serene Death

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Hey these are the exact issues I was wrestling with when accepted as an SG, good timing, thanks!

Oct 22 06 08:57 pm Link

Photographer

RBDesign

North East, Maryland, US

Serene Death wrote:
Hey these are the exact issues I was wrestling with when accepted as an SG, good timing, thanks!

Sorry, what issues were you wrestling with? What have you decided?

RB

Oct 22 06 09:08 pm Link

Photographer

Mgaphoto

San Diego, California, US

They are a bunch of donkeys smile

Oct 22 06 09:13 pm Link

Photographer

Nihilus

Nashville, Tennessee, US

( ANT ) Mgaphoto wrote:
They are a bunch of donkeys smile

More because of the fact of how 'out from left field' this comment was...but it brought quite a chuckle. Thanks. smile

Oct 22 06 09:19 pm Link

Model

Mircalla

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I know a couple of girls who use to be featured Suicide Girls and they are now campaigning younger girls to stay away. I don't know much detail as I never inquired, but I could probably find out more.

Suicide Girls has a few books out too which feature their models and with no credits to the photographers. They specifically state that all photographs are owned by Suicide Girls. Thanks but no thanks.

Oct 22 06 09:34 pm Link

Model

Envy Kitten

Fresno, California, US

they pay 500 a set too the girls and its still and exclusive contract:::::::::

Oct 22 06 09:37 pm Link

Photographer

Mgaphoto

San Diego, California, US

Mircalla wrote:
I know a couple of girls who use to be featured Suicide Girls and they are now campaigning younger girls to stay away. I don't know much detail as I never inquired, but I could probably find out more.

Suicide Girls has a few books out too which feature their models and with no credits to the photographers. They specifically state that all photographs are owned by Suicide Girls. Thanks but no thanks.

From what I have heard, not sure how accurate this is, that the models can't even model for other sites similar to SG. In fact I heard that SG took some sites to court for copying them but in realty they just used their money to bully another company out of the way.

Personally I think tats, piercings, and many of the models on SG are gorgeous but the photographry I have seen sucks nuts. Same goes for Gods Girls, most of the shots I see are the same like you have one photographer shooting the whole site, not to creative and another lame site.

Oct 22 06 09:40 pm Link

Photographer

RBDesign

North East, Maryland, US

Mircalla wrote:

Well as I mentioned from the models that I know and have worked with it's a real mixed bag of love and hate.
I am well aware of the content/image ownership issue.

RB

Oct 22 06 09:42 pm Link

Photographer

RBDesign

North East, Maryland, US

( ANT ) Mgaphoto wrote:

From what I have heard, not sure how accurate this is, that the models can't even model for other sites similar to SG. In fact I heard that SG took some sites to court for copying them but in realty they just used their money to bully another company out of the way.

Personally I think tats, piercings, and many of the models on SG are gorgeous but the photographry I have seen sucks nuts. Same goes for Gods Girls, most of the shots I see are the same like you have one photographer shooting the whole site, not to creative and another lame site.

I don't know if this changed recently but they actually do not let models do ANY other adult site work.

RB

Oct 22 06 09:43 pm Link

Model

Serene Death

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

well I love the SG site, and the books, and the movies, and some of the girls. The ones who don't look like skaterboys in bad drag, there're a couple who are hot still... I could have been one. But, boy oh boy did that contract seem ironclad. Now, I don't care that much about the money, so the crap pay is fine, I'd just use it to buy more gear to be photographed in any way, I love the experience and the pics. However I don't see why any photographer would agree to their terms and the complete exclusivity to all pictures AND to the model's rights (lack thereof)to join and participate in other websites.... it just sucks! I want to have fun and work with whom I want, where I want and when I want... However SG is a well recognized name and likely popular still and really, when you're a plus sized, pierced, tattoed model (gorgeous as I am, atypical no doubt) it's not like websites are going to be killing each other to offer me better and more anytime soon... so it can be a tough call.

Oct 22 06 09:48 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

eva luv wrote:
they pay 500 a set too the girls and its still and exclusive contract:::::::::

Correction... as of last report they pay $300 to the girl, $200 to the photographer.

Oct 22 06 09:53 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Serene Death wrote:
...really, when you're a plus sized, pierced, tattoed model (gorgeous as I am, atypical no doubt) it's not like websites are going to be killing each other to offer me better and more anytime soon... so it can be a tough call.

There are dozens... if not hundreds of alt sites out there... all wiling to have "plus sized, pierced, tattoed model"s

Oct 22 06 09:54 pm Link

Model

soma_stardust

Emeryville, California, US

Wynd Mulysa wrote:

Well thank god!  They certainly don't have enough low quality photos of exploited mediocre alternative models right now.

HA!
marry me.

~soma~

Oct 22 06 09:57 pm Link

Photographer

RBDesign

North East, Maryland, US

James Jackson wrote:

Correction... as of last report they pay $300 to the girl, $200 to the photographer.

It looks like they are paying models $500 if the model has/gets her own photog.

RB

Oct 22 06 09:58 pm Link

Photographer

RBDesign

North East, Maryland, US

Soma Stardust wrote:

HA!
marry me.

~soma~

Well I see there are at least two model non-fans here. I know some models that where this kind of talk would actually escalate to physical violence. Now there is an idea for a web site ;-)

RB

Oct 22 06 10:01 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

RBDesign wrote:

It looks like they are paying models $500 if the model has/gets her own photog.

RB

So the only way that a model can get $500 is by gipping a photographer out of the $200 that would be due him in any other SG situation?

Nice...

Oct 22 06 10:03 pm Link

Photographer

RBDesign

North East, Maryland, US

James Jackson wrote:

So the only way that a model can get $500 is by gipping a photographer out of the $200 that would be due him in any other SG situation?

Nice...

I guess she could if she is a good business woman or maybe it could go the other way if she spends more than that getting the sets done. Given the low quality standards that SG has I would imagine that a model could hire a not so wonderful photog to do 5-10 sets in a day on the cheap and if the model knew what she was doing in terms of content and directing herself she could make some money.

RB

Oct 22 06 10:10 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Soma Stardust wrote:
HA!
marry me.

~soma~

You & Wynd?
Ok, that's a wedding I'd break my rules for & photograph LOL

Well, ok, the honeymoon anyhow!

Oct 23 06 12:48 am Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Q: Is Suicide Girls doing a big promo effort?

A: Who?

Oct 23 06 12:54 am Link