Forums > General Industry > Are you hooked on Model Mayhem?

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

Somewhere between 4:00 and 4:30 this morning I found myself not being able to sleep. It is now 5:32 and I'm still here reading away. Now there are a number of things I could have done. Trying to fall back to sleep would have been one for starters.

No, instead I find myself firing up the ol' PC to see whats happening on MM. Hell, I have a number of other sites I could have even visited, so why MM? What is this obsession?

Just what are some of the signs that MM has sucked a person in? Am I hooked for life?

Gary

Oct 21 06 07:28 am Link

Photographer

timeless image

Houston, Texas, US

Dont worry a good twelve step program will take care of it.

Oct 21 06 07:31 am Link

Photographer

Ken Long

MCALLEN, Texas, US

I'm not strong willed enough to complete the program.....    I wake up and I check the Mayhem... I get home from work, and I check the Mayhem.... before I Nap (it seems I can never sleep more then 3 hours) I'm on the Mayhem....   

I'm just greatful that MM doesn't have an hourly usage fee!  (Don't get any ideas Tyler......)

Oct 21 06 07:42 am Link

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

At times it is so late at night and I am so tired, my head starts bobbing forward, and my eyes can't stay open. Even then I just have to make one more round on the forums.

Gary

Oct 21 06 08:21 am Link

Photographer

dgold

Pawtucket, Rhode Island, US

...there are worse addictions in life than MM.
For me it's about sharing and caring, , learning and growing , creating, loving  and living.
I enjoy the moments spent on MM and the beautiful people that hang here.
Long live MM, creativity and photography!

Oct 21 06 08:24 am Link

Model

Claudia

San Antonio, Texas, US

omG,Ive been here all night,I thought i had quit,but i came back on and,BAM!!!! im addicted again,JUST LIKE THAT!!!!its krazy,It's just like myspace.....

myspace.com/claudiagmodel

omG,same thing,I think they have some type of subliminal messages goin on!.....Thats it I quit!!

Oct 21 06 08:29 am Link

Photographer

Ken Long

MCALLEN, Texas, US

Claudia ---

I'll see you posting in an hour (just like me....)

Oct 21 06 08:31 am Link

Photographer

RA Photos

Sumter, South Carolina, US

Sign me up as well.  I am addicted, can't sleep right now and I have a busy day of printing photo's tomorrow.  I should be asleep, but here I am.

Oct 21 06 08:33 am Link

Model

Claudia

San Antonio, Texas, US

im back!!!!!!!
hahaha,your right,lmao,i simply can't do it!!;-(

oh welll.....long live model mayhem;-)!!!Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oct 21 06 08:34 am Link

Photographer

David Scott

Marion, Iowa, US

I think its the continual renewing.. the constant change, that keeps bringing people back.. keeps them addicted.   Same with myspace... you're just on for a minute to check email and bam, "oh, he has a new picture, i better check it out"  "oh, who's that friend of her's in the top 8, i better go and look"  it goes on and on  smile

Oct 21 06 08:37 am Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

GLB Graphics wrote:
Somewhere between 4:00 and 4:30 this morning I found myself not being able to sleep. It is now 5:32 and I'm still here reading away. Now there are a number of things I could have done. Trying to fall back to sleep would have been one for starters.

No, instead I find myself firing up the ol' PC to see whats happening on MM. Hell, I have a number of other sites I could have even visited, so why MM? What is this obsession?

Just what are some of the signs that MM has sucked a person in? Am I hooked for life?

Gary

You can go talk to the ex; thats something to do.

Oct 21 06 08:37 am Link

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

Claudia wrote:
omG,Ive been here all night,I thought i had quit,but i came back on and,BAM!!!! im addicted again,JUST LIKE THAT!!!!its krazy,It's just like myspace.....

myspace.com/claudiagmodel

omG,same thing,I think they have some type of subliminal messages goin on!.....Thats it I quit!!

Ok, I'll go over to myspace and add ya as a friend... big_smile

Oct 21 06 08:40 am Link

Model

DELETE ACCOUNT

Eškašem, Badakhshan, Afghanistan

GLB Graphics wrote:

Gary

big_smile  Hey, Gary, good morning!  Ever since I let my Plat. + membership lapse on OMP, I find myself over here quite ALOT!
~Kathy

Oct 21 06 08:43 am Link

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

KathyJean wrote:
big_smile  Hey, Gary, good morning!  Ever since I let my Plat. + membership lapse on OMP, I find myself over here quite ALOT!
~Kathy

Hi Kathy! Hey I really like the photo in your portfolio where you are outside the car door. I have been trying to get my daughter-in-law to pose for me in front of my son's car. No luck so far.

Oct 21 06 09:06 am Link

Model

Claudia

San Antonio, Texas, US

GLB Graphics wrote:
Ok, I'll go over to myspace and add ya as a friend... big_smile

YAY!!!!thanks,dont forget to leave a comment........lol

Oct 21 06 09:11 am Link

Model

Claudia

San Antonio, Texas, US

Claudia wrote:
YAY!!!!thanks,dont forget to leave a comment........lol

i actually have my email,ModelMayhem and myspace opened at the same time,hehe,dont want to miss anything;-)~

Oct 21 06 09:13 am Link

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

Claudia wrote:

i actually have my email,ModelMayhem and myspace opened at the same time,hehe,dont want to miss anything;-)~

Girl! You are hooked... big_smile

Oct 21 06 09:41 am Link

Photographer

FotoArcade

San Diego, California, US

the tobacco industry could learn a thing or two about addiction from MM. Personally, I can quit anytime. As a matter of fact. I've already quit twice this week.

Oct 21 06 12:26 pm Link

Photographer

far away

Jackson, Alabama, US

Yep, it a twisted addiction. A love/hate thing. I can't fricken stand this place, but I keep coming back. I've noticed lately, the more I come back, my hatred for it lessens and it's turning more into an appreciation for the differences in people. Can't quite explain it this early (I just woke up). But something like that. Lol...

Oct 21 06 12:42 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Shipstad

Burbank, California, US

Well my wife says I'm addicted to MM! As much as I'd like to deny it, she might have a point
:-P

Even though MM doesn't have anywhere near the features of OMP or Musecube.. I find it a lot more interactive to be on here with the other users. I almost never check those my accounts there. But here, there's immediate feedback from people, great forums (minus the "let's see how fast we can turn an innocent thread into an argument" people) and it's just more fun!

Anyway, how do we go about setting up a group intervention?

:-)

Oct 21 06 12:45 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

Patrick Shipstad wrote:
Well my wife says I'm addicted to MM! As much as I'd like to deny it, she might have a point
:-P

My wife says technically it's the model's photos I'm addicted to moreso than the MM site itself... big_smile

Oct 21 06 01:53 pm Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

GLB Graphics wrote:
Are you hooked on Model Mayhem?

(*scratches head*) uh,..., if it's not MM it's gonna be MySpace. sigh.

Oct 21 06 01:55 pm Link

Photographer

lightsandshadow

New York, New York, US

I was 'clean' for about a week and then I had to get one little hit and now I'm a full blown addict again.

......heading off to MM rehab........

Oct 22 06 02:27 am Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

GLB Graphics wrote:

Gary

Sleeps highly over rated! MM rocks (when the server isn't down). /tim

Oct 22 06 02:30 am Link

Photographer

photosbydmp

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

yer, i am an m/m junkie for sure.

Oct 22 06 02:31 am Link

Model

KAT-SUI

San Francisco, California, US

I am an unretired MM addict.

Can't go a day without checking it.

daayyyyyyyyyyyamm you delicious mayhem smile

Oct 22 06 02:58 am Link

Photographer

IrisSwope

Dallas, Texas, US

Sadly, I'm addicted too...

Get up around 3pm, sit on MM until 7pm, go to the gym, get back 11pm, stay on MM until say, 3 am?
That's 8 hours a day... That's sad, truly sad....

Oct 22 06 03:43 am Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Iris Swope wrote:
Sadly, I'm addicted too...

Get up around 3pm, sit on MM until 7pm, go to the gym, get back 11pm, stay on MM until say, 3 am?
That's 8 hours a day... That's sad, truly sad....

you are forgiven, you live in OKC.  Unless a tornado comes by, what is there to do ?

Oct 22 06 03:54 am Link

Photographer

Raven Photography

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

GLB Graphics wrote:
At times it is so late at night and I am so tired, my head starts bobbing forward, and my eyes can't stay open. Even then I just have to make one more round on the forums.

Gary

lol, that sounds like me.

Oct 22 06 04:06 am Link

Photographer

IrisSwope

Dallas, Texas, US

UnoMundo Photography wrote:

you are forgiven, you live in OKC.  Unless a tornado comes by, what is there to do ?

Work? Shop? Watch tv? OKC actually has developed a bit in the past 5-10 years or so... I've chosen my addiction

Oct 22 06 04:31 am Link

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

So here I sit again at 5:00AM Sunday morning... big_smile

Oct 22 06 07:01 am Link

Photographer

Brandon Zackery Imagery

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Too much of ANYTHING will make you an addict.
I heard group sessions start at 6AM. I have to try and make those. Oh and Doc says my meds are working...I only 6 hours a day on here.

Oct 22 06 07:08 am Link

Model

Envy Kitten

Fresno, California, US

:::::::::::::::::::yes:::::::::::::::::

that and pepsi;)

eva

Oct 22 06 07:30 am Link

Photographer

Bill Bates

Payson, Utah, US

I don't know about addicted (of course denial is a sign of addiction) but if I'm sitting at my desk MM is one of the things open.

This morning I was on just before 6:00 am and that is pretty sick for a Sunday morning.

Bill

Oct 22 06 07:38 am Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

Bill Bates wrote:
I don't know about addicted (of course denial is a sign of addiction) but if I'm sitting at my desk MM is one of the things open.

This morning I was on just before 6:00 am and that is pretty sick for a Sunday morning.

Bill

I haven't even had my morning coffee yet and I'm on. :-)

Oct 22 06 07:46 am Link

Photographer

Golden Light

Miami, Florida, US

I have spent over 18 hours on MM one weekend. My dishes are not done. My grass needs cutting. 
    MM has with out a doubt the most interesting, talented, beautiful and creative people in the world. For me this is a big deal. Artist need artist.

Oct 22 06 07:59 am Link

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

Bill Bates wrote:

Bill

Well I hope you're letting Wanda sleep in anyway... big_smile

Oct 22 06 08:01 am Link

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

Golden Light wrote:
For me this is a big deal. Artist need artist.

Great thought! Yes indeed, I really do gain a lot by studying the work of other MMers.

Gary

Oct 22 06 08:03 am Link

Photographer

Craig Seay

Nashville, Tennessee, US

GLB Graphics wrote:

Gary

Yes Gary, we're all addicted to MM. I have to be at a computer somewhere in the world every night at midnight EST to close my Pic of the Day thread and count the votes. It's a hopeless addiction for sure. smile

Oct 22 06 08:04 am Link

Photographer

Bill Bates

Payson, Utah, US

GLB Graphics wrote:
Well I hope you're letting Wanda sleep in anyway... big_smile

Nope, I made her get up at 6:30. She has friends coming over for a bike ride this morning at 8:00 am. We need to be fed, warmed up and ready to go freeze our butts off in an hour.

Bill

Oct 22 06 08:08 am Link