Forums > General Industry > Cool shoot this sunday

Photographer

Hope Parr

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

I have a shoot in Las Vegas this sunday, while at the mall today I was trying to come up with a neat idea... the model is a female bodybuilder, clothed,topless and nude shoot.

while in a halloween store I had an idea on how to do the shoot...

I bought a texas chain saw massacure outfit and a fake chainsaw, then I bought a smoke maker, so this is going to  be a halloween shoot, I am going to have her dress in the apron, tie and mask from the custom kit, hold the chain saw, use the smoke machine to put some smoke around her, using one of my strobes and a red (or maybe green) gel filter on the strobe, shoot the light into the smoke ...  I will use another strobe to highlight the chainsaw then a medium softbox as my main light... so what do you think... sounds like it could make some pretty neat shots?

Oct 21 06 01:22 am Link

Photographer

Mikell

San Francisco, California, US

use a real chainsaw

Oct 21 06 01:24 am Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Good luck with the smoke machine. The smoke will hang high in the air and get in the way of your light(s).

I'd look into building a chiller for the smoke machine to make is cling to the ground.

Oct 21 06 01:26 am Link

Photographer

Hope Parr

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

ya this is going to take some work, but I am hoping I can keep it below her waist or off to her side so it looks like she is moving into the smoke..

Craig Thomson wrote:
Good luck with the smoke machine. The smoke will hang high in the air and get in the way of your light(s).

I'd look into building a chiller for the smoke machine to make is cling to the ground.

Oct 21 06 01:33 am Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Hope Parr wrote:
ya this is going to take some work, but I am hoping I can keep it below her waist or off to her side so it looks like she is moving into the smoke..

Set your machine up in a room with no drafts and test fire it and then shoot into it with your strobe(s)

Oct 21 06 01:37 am Link

Photographer

S_D

San Diego, California, US

Craig is right on the money.... If the smoke is too light try dry ice????

Or bulid one like he said for under 10bucks.

Oct 21 06 05:39 am Link

Photographer

Joe Levy

PUTNAM VALLEY, New York, US

sounds like an interesting setup. 

As far as the smoke machine goes you will probably spend a lot of time and money trying to make a chiller for it. You might look into renting one from your local theatrical supply store (if you don't know who that might be just call the the scene shop at arizona theater company and they will tell you the name of the rental house)  or get a very large cooler fill it with the hottest water you can and have an assistant slowly and carefully put small pieces of dry ice into the water(with a glove on NOT BARE HANDED)  and with a small fan and/ or board push the low lying fog around. 

I would love to see your shot when you are done.

Good Luck.

ATENTION THE FOLLOWING IS A CAPTAIN OBVIOUS STATEMENT!!

If you go the smoke machine route make sure you deactivate any smoke detectors in the area, and then reactivate them when the session is over.

Oct 21 06 05:59 am Link