Forums > General Industry > Advice to models from photographers,and vice versa

Photographer

Gallery Row Studio

Lakewood, Ohio, US

Dear fellow photogs:) What practical advice would you give models, to make your collaboration easier and more pleasant experience?

**This was intended as a practical advice sharing thread:) Not pointing fingers at each other, and proving who is better:)))
I would like to hear what models need and want from us, photogs, and I think if we, photogs, let models what we need and want from them, the industry will be much more in sync. I am not yet a hardened pro who knows it all, so I am very interested in practical advices from both sides:)

My 2 cents - learn to confront light without squinting:) At the recent beach shoot I had the model pose with her eyes closed, and open them only when I say, otherwise she was squinting horribly...not even looking into the sun, but just at the light:))) So many wear sunglasses all the time, I really think they should look see the light more:)
It will also help the model, not to pose blindfolded:))

Now, dear models - what practical advice would you give photogs to make your experience more pleasant and that would help the shoot?smile

I hope MM community will support this, I really want to hear everyone's opinion.

smile
Olesja

* little correction about the sun-squinting:) I am not into giving models cataracts:)) I myself have green eyes, and know how it is:) Now, the model was not looking directly into the sun, nor into the reflector:) She just had problem keeping her eyes open, when it was sunny, without sunglasses. That's all....She wore contacts, so that might have been a contributing factor....

Oct 20 06 09:52 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

Olesja Mueller wrote:
My 2 cents - learn to confront bright light without squinting:) At the recent beach shoot I had the model pose with her eyes closed, and open them only when I say, otherwise she was squinting horribly, and ruining my shots:))) So many wear sunglasses all the time, I really think they should look at the light more:)

I tend to blast my poor models with a reflector of nice, harsh, Los Angeles sunshine. You want models who won't squint? Have them shoot with me a few times first. By the time I'm done with them, they'll have no problem keeping their eyes open.

Oct 20 06 10:14 pm Link

Model

CrazyRussianHelicopter

Madison, Alabama, US

Don't be afraid to say to a model that she doesn't look good when trying to do the pose... or whearing something, or expresion, that don't flater her.

Oct 21 06 12:12 am Link

Photographer

Kas_

Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada

o    Keep jewelry to a minimum- The same necklace in different shots and different outfits detracts from the impact of all of those images.

o    Wear solid colors - Avoid clothes that are covered with patterns and prints.

o    Make sure the clothes fit - Swimsuits, for example, should be snug, with no gaps showing when they move. They also shouldn’t be too tight.

o    Vary your hair style - When trying to create a variety of looks, short hair can present a challenge. For variety, try a wig. Don’t forget hats-- except for cowboy hats, which are way overdone. Hats can change the look of a model’s portfolio photos, too; look for fun and interesting hats in thrift and discount stores.

o    Makeup - Vary your makeup and color when changing hairstyles or outfits. This makes each portfolio image look truly different.

o    Footwear - Wearing the right shoes can make as much a difference as the right makeup. Ask a model to bring along at least one pair of shoes with the highest heels they have--or can borrow. It changes the way they stand and gives them a bit of height that all but the tallest models can use.

•    Posing Tips
o    Do not hold your breath  -  during a photo session for a pose. The concentration usually shows in the picture.

o    Hold in your stomach - to give a more toned appearance to the abdomen (even if you are in great shape).

o    Maintain a good posture - Most people, including models, do not have very good posture. Unless you're going for a casual look, keep your back straight and your shoulders up.

o    Strike a pose - Don't keep both arms entirely straight unless directed to do so for a specific pose. Bend one or both arms, even if only a little, to make the pose look less artificial. Likewise, don't keep both legs entirely straight.

o    Don't always look straight at the camera -  Instead, use a variety of head and eye positions: Try turning your head, tilting your neck to one side or the other, or looking off to the side for some poses.

o    Don't use a big smile for every pose  -  Sometimes try a small smile, a pout, a laugh, a scowl, or even a frown, to give some variety to your facial expressions.

o    Listen to what the photographer tells you  -  He can see you through the camera. You can't.

Oct 21 06 12:14 am Link

Model

Brandy_Lynn

Lexington, Kentucky, US

lavive wrote:
o    Keep jewelry to a minimum- The same necklace in different shots and different outfits detracts from the impact of all of those images.

o    Wear solid colors - Avoid clothes that are covered with patterns and prints.

o    Make sure the clothes fit - Swimsuits, for example, should be snug, with no gaps showing when they move. They also shouldn’t be too tight.

o    Vary your hair style - When trying to create a variety of looks, short hair can present a challenge. For variety, try a wig. Don’t forget hats-- except for cowboy hats, which are way overdone. Hats can change the look of a model’s portfolio photos, too; look for fun and interesting hats in thrift and discount stores.

o    Makeup - Vary your makeup and color when changing hairstyles or outfits. This makes each portfolio image look truly different.

o    Footwear - Wearing the right shoes can make as much a difference as the right makeup. Ask a model to bring along at least one pair of shoes with the highest heels they have--or can borrow. It changes the way they stand and gives them a bit of height that all but the tallest models can use.

•    Posing Tips
o    Do not hold your breath  -  during a photo session for a pose. The concentration usually shows in the picture.

o    Hold in your stomach - to give a more toned appearance to the abdomen (even if you are in great shape).

o    Maintain a good posture - Most people, including models, do not have very good posture. Unless you're going for a casual look, keep your back straight and your shoulders up.

o    Strike a pose - Don't keep both arms entirely straight unless directed to do so for a specific pose. Bend one or both arms, even if only a little, to make the pose look less artificial. Likewise, don't keep both legs entirely straight.

o    Don't always look straight at the camera -  Instead, use a variety of head and eye positions: Try turning your head, tilting your neck to one side or the other, or looking off to the side for some poses.

o    Don't use a big smile for every pose  -  Sometimes try a small smile, a pout, a laugh, a scowl, or even a frown, to give some variety to your facial expressions.

o    Listen to what the photographer tells you  -  He can see you through the camera. You can't.

excellent advice.. i agree. a lot of times, i look slightly above his head or over his shoulders

Oct 21 06 12:23 am Link

Model

CrazyRussianHelicopter

Madison, Alabama, US

Be patient when she is getting ready.

Respect her limits and discuss your expectations before the shoot.

Oct 21 06 12:28 am Link

Photographer

Kas_

Brandy Love wrote:

excellent advice..

Thanks smile  BTW, I love your photos, you look amazing

Oct 21 06 12:36 am Link

Photographer

Hok

Portland, Oregon, US

I always like to have a phone interview with the model to discuss the shots... even if I have talked with her via email a few times.

I also send all my models my "model prep sheet" and adult model release form to view.

My model prep sheet has basic instructions on what to bring to each shot session as well as driving instructions to my place as well as my phone number.

I also ask the models to call before leaving home to confirm they are on the way as well as call when they are about 10 minutes from my studio. I will also talk with them the night before the shot to confirm nothing has changed.

Do not surprise us with other people, helpers, chaperones, boy friends, etc. when you show up. TELL us in advance whom you are bringing and why. I do not mind other people at the shot (sometimes even prefer with new models) because I will put them to work and if they make you feel more comfortable, then my shots look better. Just give us notice.

Leave your pets home.. lol

Oct 21 06 12:48 am Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

Olesja Mueller wrote:
My 2 cents - learn to confront bright light without squinting:) At the recent beach shoot I had the model pose with her eyes closed, and open them only when I say, otherwise she was squinting horribly, and ruining my shots:))) So many wear sunglasses all the time, I really think they should look at the light more:)

I hope MM community will support this, I really want to hear everyone's opinion.

smile
Olesja

Slight problem. Light eyed people can't adapt and direct glare from silver/gold reflectors will even make dark eyed models squint. I've had models that try to be superwoman or superman and not squint, feather the reflector and give them breaks to rest their eyes.

Also if light eyed people don't wear sunglasses, they are prone to get cataracts. However, if you want to start putting money into a cataract fund for models, we'll accept donations. Advice to photographers - don't pontificate unless you understand the model's problems.

Oct 21 06 12:50 am Link

Model

LORA

Washington, District of Columbia, US

I have fairly light eyes, too. I can tell you that as many times as I've tried not to squint, looking right into the sun is VERY painful!

Oct 21 06 12:58 am Link

Photographer

Kas_

Lora wrote:
I have fairly light eyes, too. I can tell you that as many times as I've tried not to squint, looking right into the sun is VERY painful!

If you're working with someone that wants you to do that, dont lol...not worth the long term effects

Oct 21 06 01:07 am Link

Photographer

Gallery Row Studio

Lakewood, Ohio, US

This is going great, such awesome advices!!!
* little correction about the sun-squinting:) I am not into giving models cataracts:)) I myself have green eyes, and know how it is:) Now, the model was not looking directly into the sun, nor into the reflector:) She just had problem keeping her eyes open, when it was sunny, without sunglasses. That's all....She wore contacts, so that might have been a contributing factor....

Oct 21 06 01:19 am Link

Photographer

Fotticelli

Rockville, Maryland, US

Advice to models: learn which one is your right and which one is your left side. Practice before the shoot.

Oct 21 06 01:23 am Link

Photographer

NewBoldPhoto

PORT MURRAY, New Jersey, US

Fotticelli wrote:
Advice to models: learn which one is your right and which one is your left side. Practice before the shoot.

Or work with me as I have not mastered the whole left right thing in 35+ years.

Oct 21 06 01:28 am Link

Model

Kizzy

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

Be prepared, be on time, be cheerful.

Oct 21 06 01:29 am Link

Photographer

Jeff Searust

Austin, Texas, US

NewBoldPhoto wrote:

Or work with me as I have not mastered the whole left right thing in 35+ years.

I usually am looking upside down and reversed and can guarantee on any given shoot that I tell someone to move left when I mean right... I end up pointing one way or the other with my head down, and this doesn't work either---damn optics

Oct 21 06 01:33 am Link

Photographer

Le Beck Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

Olesja Mueller wrote:
Dear fellow photogs:) What practical advice would you give models, to make your collaboration easier and more pleasant experience?

Now, dear models - what practical advice would you give photogs to make your experience more pleasant and that would help the shoot?smile

smile
Olesja

Sunglasses protect you from glare, Eyestrain, Cataracts, Macular degeneration, Pterygium: Membranes that grow over the cornea, lots and lots of those here in SoCal. Far more than I saw at The Cornell Medical College in New York, maybe 20 times as frequent. It's very common with Sailors and Surfers. People who don't wear sunglasses are asking for huge troubles later in life, often as early as their 40's and 50's. Many of my patients with Pterygium are as young as their mid 20's

Abnormal corneal vascularization with clouding of the cornea.
https://www.davidlebeck.com/myspaceblogs/s1.jpg

Oct 21 06 02:05 am Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

Olesja Mueller wrote:
learn to confront bright light without squinting:) At the recent beach shoot I had the model pose with her eyes closed, and open them only when I say

E|||B wrote:
I tend to blast my poor models with a reflector of nice, harsh, Los Angeles sunshine

man! gotta disagree with both of you! why don't you make it a little easier for the model to do his/her job? use a scrim & subtract light, thereby making a squint-free set? we as photographers wouldn't wanna have to deal with the flare of having a direct light source come blazing into our cameras, right? goes both ways ...

FML

Oct 21 06 02:17 am Link

Photographer

megafunk

Los Angeles, California, US

Don't go hitting clubs all night and show up looking tore up then expect sympathy and hours of retouching. You will get sent away.
If you're told to move a little to your right, don't move 14 meters to your left or ask why.
Show your ass up on time.
Know your body. Know your angles.
Break your posing habits.
Leave your fear at your front door.
Stay off the fucking cell phone unless it's an emergency or a break.
Learn the various segments of the fields and be honest where you can fit.
Avoid practices that will lead you to the woodchipper.
Do not whip out a coffin nail and light up like it's your fucking studio.

Oct 21 06 02:35 am Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

quite!

please give some details
or answer the simple and polite questions put to you during offers to shoot with me
so
i have some idea what you want to shoot to get
and what release terms etc etc

if you did not bother to give details anyway (nor read the request for details on my profile) please do answer if i ask you a question about your intentions and your references and not just plow on re time and place
assuming i am shooting with no idea what ??

unless i have been communicated with i may not feel you are safe or reliable, let alone being professional

edit: please do not assume i will pose for anyone else no matter how accomplished ( or not) nor invite others along to shoot without arrangement!

Oct 21 06 03:07 am Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

Olesja Mueller wrote:

smile
Olesja

Are you serious?  I have never really worn sunglasses and that doesn't change the fact that it hurts my retinas if I stare into the sun.  Or anywhere near the sun in a bright sky.  Of course you want your models to look into the sun because their faces will have the perfect light on them, but the best way to do that is exactly what you described:  Have the model close her eyes until you tell her to open them and then take a photo.

On that note, my advice to photographers is to not be so insensitive!  Haha.

I also would like to let you guys know not to worry about thinking you're bad at giving direction.  Every so often, I like it when a photographer doesn't tell me exaaactly how to pose.  I can do my own thing and it might even impress you.  smile.

Oct 21 06 03:13 am Link

Model

kumi

San Francisco, California, US

cold weather...

i hate how people say it will perk up your boobs.

it wont matter how perky they are if the model is hunched over and wrapped up in a blanket while the photographer as his nice n toasty artic anorak and ear muffs on.

sure, there are pre-arranged shoots for super cold weather and conditions, but a little consideration and thought for those shoots not taking place in tierra del fuego or at the ice hotel in sweden would be nice.

personally, i freeze up literally. my movement becomes stunted and i get stiff. posing becomes more difficult and that just sucks. gahhhhh!

Oct 21 06 05:35 am Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

New Haven, Connecticut, US

Leonard Gee Photography wrote:

Slight problem. Light eyed people can't adapt and direct glare from silver/gold reflectors will even make dark eyed models squint. I've had models that try to be superwoman or superman and not squint, feather the reflector and give them breaks to rest their eyes.

Also if light eyed people don't wear sunglasses, they are prone to get cataracts. However, if you want to start putting money into a cataract fund for models, we'll accept donations. Advice to photographers - don't pontificate unless you understand the model's problems.

a yeah, dont pontificate like this guy. And shoot with me.

Oct 21 06 06:27 am Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

New Haven, Connecticut, US

Models take the time to read what has been written here and then decide who you would rather work with,really just read  the words of wisdom here.

Oct 21 06 06:33 am Link

Photographer

Spark Studios

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Simply Have fun!! wink

Oct 21 06 07:52 am Link

Photographer

Gallery Row Studio

Lakewood, Ohio, US

This was intended as a practical advice sharing thread:) Not pointing fingers at each other, and proving who is better:)))
I would like to hear what models need and want from us, photogs, and I think if we, photogs, let models what we need and want from them, the industry will be much more in sync.smile I am not yet a hardened pro who knows it all, so I am very interested in practical advices from both sides:)

Oct 21 06 02:05 pm Link

Photographer

Hummels Photography

Mission Viejo, California, US

Once piece of advice that I have for models is... (this happened at a recent shoot) don't show up 15 minutes late because you were (and I quote) "Totally hung over from a party" the night before. I was already erked that she was late, then after finding out the reason why she was late I was very upset. Not to mention the little fact that she looked terrible ha ha.

Basically, show up on time, if not a few minutes early. Get some rest the night before and show up with a smile wink

Oct 26 06 01:27 pm Link