Forums > General Industry > Adding a brand logo to your own shots

Photographer

Patrick Shipstad

Burbank, California, US

I have to say I think it's pretty unethical when photographers PhotoShop in brand logos into their own pictures as if they actually shot an Abercrombie and Fitch, Bebe ad, etc. To me, it's like lying to anyone looking at your portfolio..potential clients and the models they work with, etc.

I have shots in my port that I did to resemble an AF ad, but I wouldn't dare add their logo to mislead people into thinking I've reached that level of success. I also think it's disrespectful to the photogaphers who have worked so hard to get those ad campaigns and can finally put those tear sheets into their portfolio.

I get it that they've composed a shot to look like a brand ad, and they're adding the logo to complete the look and feel, to show that their work could be used in an ad like that...but I think that's something for your portfolio that is earned.

Just my 2 cents, put it in a bank with a high interest rate :-P

Oct 20 06 05:20 pm Link

Photographer

Les Sterling

Palm Springs, California, US

Patrick Shipstad wrote:
I have to say I think it's pretty unethical when photographers PhotoShop in brand logos into their own pictures as if they actually shot an Abercrombie and Fitch, Bebe ad, etc. To me, it's like lying to anyone looking at your portfolio..potential clients and the models they work with, etc.

I have shots in my port that I did to resemble an AF ad, but I wouldn't dare add their logo to mislead people into thinking I've reached that level of success. I also think it's disrespectful to the photogaphers who have worked so hard to get those ad campaigns and can finally put those tear sheets into their portfolio.

I get it that they've composed a shot to look like a brand ad, and they're adding the logo to complete the look and feel, to show that their work could be used in an ad like that...but I think that's something for your portfolio that is earned.

Just my 2 cents, put it in a bank with a high interest rate :-P

It's an amateur move. There's been some discussion about this very topic on here.
Disrespectful, to be sure. Not to mention wildly illegal smile

Oct 20 06 05:22 pm Link

Photographer

Bruce Muir

Potomac, Maryland, US

A bogus ad is just that...BOGUS.

Oct 20 06 05:27 pm Link

Photographer

IrisSwope

Dallas, Texas, US

Agreed.
  I actually think they're amateurs, and they do it just because it looks cool. But to everyone else, it's obvious, and makes them look bad...

Kinda like photoshop's lens flare, it's cool when you first figure it out, but it's old and stupid to everyone else.

Oct 20 06 05:46 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

They're not fooling anybody.

Oct 20 06 05:47 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

We do not permit such images on MM.  They are disingenuous and typically violate trademark laws.  Plus, they're almost exclusively terribly executed.

Yeah.  They suck.

Oct 20 06 05:52 pm Link

Photographer

Sockpuppet Studios

San Francisco, California, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
We do not permit such images on MM.  They are disingenuous and typically violate trademark laws.  Plus, they're almost exclusively terribly executed.

Yeah.  They suck.

You don"t

didn't know that..I'll keep that in mind

*mm's little tattle tale*

Oct 20 06 07:14 pm Link