Forums > General Industry > Right Place - Right Time - Geesh!

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

So my son goes out and buys a camera and after owning it for about two months, already has work that will ultimately be published.

His new job selling high end patio covers ended him up at the home of a sk8tr (skateboarder) that has some top notch sponsors that include a new clothing line set to hit the market sometime next spring.

Apparently this guy was on his cell phone as my son was standing there ready to pitch his company's patio covers. My son hears him talking about just firing his photographer because he had no concept of the grungy, less than pro look that is found in many of the skateboarder magazines today.

After the guy hangs up, my son (jokingly) says, "I'm a photographer!" After about 5 minutes of small talk, the guy hires him.

Since then, guess who has been receiving tons of camera/shooting related calls? That's right... ME! I finally told him, "Geez! Just shoot tons of pictures and I'll help you doctor them in Photoshop."

This guy told my son that he has a lot of friends that need promo shots. "Ummm, son? Will you remember good ol' pops?"

Oct 20 06 11:19 am Link

Photographer

far away

Jackson, Alabama, US

That's so cool!

Oct 20 06 11:33 am Link

Model

KS24

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Wow!  Good for him...that's exciting.

Oct 20 06 11:35 am Link

Photographer

byReno

Arlington Heights, Illinois, US

The story of everybody's life but mine.   Look at it this way, NOW you know someone.  smile

Oct 20 06 11:42 am Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

That's a great story. Cmon, admit it...at first, you thought, "what the hell? I work my ass off and he stumbles on work?" Then the calls started coming in for you smile

That's actually how I got my first paid photo assignment. I was in college and went everywhere with my camera. Back then the reasons were twofold, I thought it made me look artistic (i.e. girls loved it) and I figured if I photographed everything a few of the shots would look good. I was walking around the campus and a local news reporter saw me and we started a conversation. She gave me her card and I sent in a few horrible photos and they used them in a story. I got a whopping $50 but seeing it in print was priceless.

We're now married and have 3 kids. Ok that last part I made up for dramatic effect lol.

Oct 20 06 11:43 am Link

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

Yeah, I do have to admit that there was a bit of a jealousy factor at first. But now I'm thinking, hey he is going to need my Photoshop skills. big_smile

Gary

Oct 20 06 02:23 pm Link

Model

DOne

Seattle, Washington, US

Gary... Congrats to him.....and to you as well. Obviously he still looks up to dear ol' Pop. Well at the very least he still needs you to help him and by helping him....you'll be helping yourself as well.

Congrats again. smile

Meela

Oct 20 06 02:29 pm Link

Model

Elisa Lee

East Lansing, Michigan, US

Wow, great timing!  Good for him.  Think of it this way, as his dad you are entitled to bragging rights smile

Oct 20 06 04:31 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

The thing about it is... When he starts getting paid, it will be for the entire package, editing and all. I can't speak for others, but for me it is hard to put a dollar sign on something I'm doing for one of my kids. I'm hoping he offers something for my time or good ol' pops will most likely donate his time.

Gary

Oct 20 06 06:00 pm Link