Forums > General Industry > Predictability.. the silent killer.

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Do you look at the work of others and say to yourself, "I would have done that so much differently and better"? Do all your highlights have to conform to some hidden rule you can't break? Is you color always weak and vapid or is it so strong it hurts the eyes, and you can't really explain why and when you try to, you invoke the names of artists that were valid a century ago in some lame defense of your thought process. Will you try to turn this thread into a debate about which is better, something named a Noblex versus a pixel. Are you so predictable that everyone knows the exact route you will travel to get home everyday and exactly what time you'll arrive. Do you wear the same style of clothing you wore as a freshman in high school. Do you choose the kind of car you drive all the time based on economics or do you drive a certain type of car because you think it reflects well on the size of your penis (was that a predictable question?)? Are you afraid or simply incapable of making a stylistic change in your work. Have you completely forgotten how to be new and invigorated. Are you just plain predictable?

Oct 20 06 06:58 am Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

New Haven, Connecticut, US

Bob Randall Photography wrote:
Do you look at the work of others and say to yourself, "I would have done that so much differently and better"? Do all your highlights have to conform to some hidden rule you can't break? Is you color always weak and vapid or is it so strong it hurts the eyes, and you can't really explain why and when you try to, you invoke the names of artists that were valid a century ago in some lame defense of your thought process. Will you try to turn this thread into a debate about which is better, something named a Noblex versus a pixel. Are you so predictable that everyone knows the exact route you will travel to get home everyday and exactly what time you'll arrive. Do you wear the same style of clothing you wore as a freshman in high school. Do you choose the kind of car you drive all the time based on economics or do you drive a certain type of car because you think it reflects well on the size of your penis (was that a predictable question?)? Are you afraid or simply incapable of making a stylistic change in your work. Have you completely forgotten how to be new and invigorated. Are you just plain predictable?

Nope

Oct 20 06 06:59 am Link

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

Ummmmmmm? At the moment maybe, but a chance is coming, or so I predict...

Gary

Oct 20 06 07:02 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Hadyn Lassiter wrote:
Nope

Hadyn, you gotta be kidding me. You have 43000 pictures of the same person in the same store and on both your sites, and that isn't the least bit predictable?

Oct 20 06 07:03 am Link

Photographer

Perfect Pixels

Richfield, Minnesota, US

I try not to be in my everyday life, but with photography I need to start somewhere and work it from there.  Go with what you know and then make it your own.

Oct 20 06 07:06 am Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

In my younger days.....much younger days.....I was so unpredictable it bordered on nuts!.....my life was described once as roller coster ride with no end. Once I moved 11 times in 12 months!

Now I'm 59 and yes, I am predictable.

I think there is a slow tranisition are you mature.....I like having some predictability in my life now.....I'd never survive another roller coaster ride.

Oct 20 06 07:25 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

FKVPhotoGraphics wrote:
In my younger days.....much younger days.....I was so unpredictable it bordered on nuts!.....my life was described once as roller coster ride with no end. Once I moved 11 times in 12 months!

Now I'm 59 and yes, I am predictable.

I think there is a slow tranisition are you mature.....I like having some predictability in my life now.....I'd never survive another roller coaster ride.

I'm 56 and until 5 years ago most of my life had been predictable. I'm headed into my roller coaster ride with a bad back. Life is definitely more fun when you can look at it and say to yourself, "That ain't gonna fly, gotta change it and screw the consequences".

Oct 20 06 07:28 am Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

Hadyn, you gotta be kidding me. You have 43000 pictures of the same person in the same store and on both your sites, and that isn't the least bit predictable?

No its something I am working on. The images change every couple of days or so. Its my wife and I have been photographing her for about 8 months now and I am just starting to go through them. Is it up to 43000 already?

Oct 20 06 07:30 am Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

I'm so unpredictable.....it's so scary. In my everyday life.

I know what you're saying. As far as my work goes, I am pretty predictable.

Oct 20 06 07:36 am Link

Photographer

SPRINGHEEL

Detroit, Michigan, US

I do believe I've become predictable in my unpredictability......

Oct 20 06 07:37 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

SPRINGHEEL wrote:
I do believe I've become predictable in my unpredictability......

Ahh, the Picasso problem.

Oct 20 06 07:39 am Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

I'm 56 and until 5 years ago most of my life had been predictable. I'm headed into my roller coaster ride with a bad back. Life is definitely more fun when you can look at it and say to yourself, "That ain't gonna fly, gotta change it and screw the consequences".

Well...I hope it works out for you......but one of the things my wild ride left me....a pacemaker stuck in my chest because the heart kept stopping.......my ticket must have gotten punched too many times.

Oct 20 06 07:44 am Link

Photographer

SPRINGHEEL

Detroit, Michigan, US

Ahh, the Picasso problem.

I laughed when I read that but I do think I have different "periods"....and I do think I'm getting ready to start another....

(Let the menstruation jokes begin!!!)

Oct 20 06 07:46 am Link

Photographer

Searcher

New York, New York, US

Chlorine gas farts... the other silent killer.

Oct 20 06 08:50 am Link

Photographer

S

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Definitely not.  I'm still so all over the place in my newness that certain people keep telling me that it looks like other photographers shot parts of my portfolio.  wink

Oct 20 06 09:15 am Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

I look at all of my work with an even and egalitarian eye and chant the same mantra:

"This sucks!"

I know just enough of the rules (written and unwritten, but etched just as deep on the psyche of the herd) to know every choice I make is the wrong choice and that no one will ever, EVER like what I'm doing.

I then think, "I should give up and never touch another picture again.  I really do suck."

And then I look down at Mr. Winky (it's always important for GWC's to edit in the nude, preferrably with one hand, just in case any important tasks arise) and he says to me, "Uh, dipshit..  If you recall "sucking" were some of the best times we ever had.  I hate you because you refuse to bring anyone around who will suck in my presence.  So get to work, dipshit."

And I happily edit away..

And whether I take all the rules or break all the rules, the results are inevitably the same.

Someone will say, this is wrong.

Someone else will say, I love this!

And no one will come around who's interested in sucking with me..

Oct 20 06 09:48 am Link

Photographer

Andre Giovina

Frisco, Texas, US

if you set out to fail and you succeed

did you fail or succeed ?

Oct 20 06 09:53 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

W.G. Rowland wrote:
I look at all of my work with an even and egalitarian eye and chant the same mantra:

"This sucks!"

I know just enough of the rules (written and unwritten, but etched just as deep on the psyche of the herd) to know every choice I make is the wrong choice and that no one will ever, EVER like what I'm doing.

I then think, "I should give up and never touch another picture again.  I really do suck."

And then I look down at Mr. Winky (it's always important for GWC's to edit in the nude, preferrably with one hand, just in case any important tasks arise) and he says to me, "Uh, dipshit..  If you recall "sucking" were some of the best times we ever had.  I hate you because you refuse to bring anyone around who will suck in my presence.  So get to work, dipshit."

And I happily edit away..

And whether I take all the rules or break all the rules, the results are inevitably the same.

Someone will say, this is wrong.

Someone else will say, I love this!

And no one will come around who's interested in sucking with me..

I refuse to be the first person to post after reading this. I refuse. You can't make me.

Oct 20 06 09:53 am Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

Annivo wrote:

yes

Oct 20 06 09:55 am Link

Photographer

Searcher

New York, New York, US

Annivo wrote:

Be more specific.

Oct 20 06 09:56 am Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Just remember what Super Mario always says:

"I'm a wiener!"

Oct 20 06 09:57 am Link

Photographer

500 Gigs of Desire

New York, New York, US

Photographer's reps in big markets seek photographers who have "The Silent Killer"

Oct 20 06 09:59 am Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Eric S. wrote:
Photographer's reps in big markets seek photographers who have "The Silent Killer"

I've been told I'm "Silent, but deadly."  And no one has sought me out.

Oct 20 06 09:59 am Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

Take a walk in another direction, I do it all the time.

Oct 20 06 10:00 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Annivo wrote:

Did you put the same umbrella in the same exact place at the same power setting with the same model in the same pose?

Did she kick down the light stand and you had to shoot with a bare tube and you got this eerie harsh  otherworld image with shutter drag because you forgot to set the speed to your favorite 1/250th of a second and now you don't know what to do with yourself because this isn't formula and it doesn't fit your expectation of right and wrong?

That fail or succeed?

Oct 20 06 10:02 am Link

Photographer

Fluffytek

Sometimes Yes, sometimes No. Is that predicable enough for ya smile

Oct 20 06 10:10 am Link

Photographer

nevar

Fort Smith, Arkansas, US

I am so predictable.... That's why I smell like lingden berry jello.

Oct 20 06 10:12 am Link

Photographer

Lotus Photography

Berkeley, California, US

there's a balance between (a)stabilizing technique to acheive a flow,

and (b)becomming mechanical

i wouldn't say wynd and the sd gang are predictible, but you know that come sunday night and monday we're going to see some cool, offbeat stuff

on the other hand, when you see an 'alt' model who is into goth and wants to build a 'port'. you aren't surprised to see a couple of shots she did in the mirror and a myspace page.. along with black eye make up, piercings and tatoos

[edit...]

i think i need to switch gears a bit, i asked a guy to look at my website, he came back and said my landscapes were cool, i haven't done any for a while because i  did a bunch all at once.. but pictures seem empty w/o  a person in them, so i need a model to go to the beach at sunset i guess..

[...tide]

Oct 20 06 10:16 am Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

For the photography I haven't begun to experiment yet I am just learning the basics, for some reason I refuse to shoot an image, have no clue how that happened have turn out semi cool and label it "art" Once I manage to get a grasp on the basics then I'll start fucking around with shit... God help us all...

For life People always know when I'll arrive the farther away from the house it is the closer to the arrival time I'll arrive so if I am driveing cross across cali to meet my best friend I'll be there in 7.5 hours, If I am driving to the corner market to pick up a sandwich err umm maybe three hours or so, because I got lost and found a road I had not seen before and it looked like fun to turn....

Yup I wear the same clothing jeans and a t shirt... now what is printed on the tshirt may offend most people,,,or confuse them...or the missed matched doc martins....

Gah the car was hard I didn't get the hearse, I got a sensable car low milage and a very good price. the next car might be more of the same but bright purple and big to fit  modeling, and photograpy equipment, although...a hearse is big...or if I play my cards right a new version of an old classic mussle car I am in lust with, too small, too fast, and shittly gas milage.. and I have no penis so it's ok for me to drive it...

In all I'm predictably un predictabe. If you really know me you will know all my strange qurks of nature..If something doesn't belong, has been turned upside down, destroyed and remade into something new, vanished because someone can't recall yesterday, yup I was there...

Oct 20 06 10:57 am Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

If my Ponitac Grand Prix is a reflection of the size of my penis and/or it's shortcomings, I'm in big trouble. I take certain comfort in predictability. In fact, I lurk the forum threads that bash certain "tired" poses (i.e. "I'm so sick of the belt around the titties shot, the fur lined parka shot and, god forbid, the caution tape shot...and then I add them to my shot list.

I want my portfolio to be the epitome of predictability. By the way, I want my next car to be a Hummer. Oh wait, maybe a Corvette. Hmm...interesting.

Oct 20 06 11:05 am Link

Photographer

Searcher

New York, New York, US

Predictable and reliable... sounds like a ripoff of a Russel Crowe movie. Eat me, clones! Muahahahaha!

Oct 20 06 11:09 am Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

I just found out I'm in a gang...

I'm so cool..

I need to go pimp my ride.

Oct 20 06 11:18 am Link