Forums > General Industry > Be Careful what you post on the Net!

Photographer

far away

Jackson, Alabama, US

Internet Defamation Lawsuit...

''A Florida woman has been awarded $11.3 million in a defamation lawsuit against a Louisiana woman who posted messages on the Internet accusing her of being a "crook," a "con artist" and a "fraud."

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/200 … .htm?csp=1

Courts are asked to crack down on bloggers, websites...

"The case reflected how blogs — short for web logs, the burgeoning, freewheeling Internet forums that give people the power to instantly disseminate messages worldwide — increasingly are being targeted by those who feel harmed by blog attacks. In the past two years, more than 50 lawsuits stemming from postings on blogs and website message boards have been filed across the nation. The suits have spawned a debate over how the "blogosphere" and its revolutionary impact on speech and publishing might change libel law."

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2006- … urts_x.htm

Interesting.

Oct 20 06 05:20 am Link

Photographer

re- photography

San Francisco, California, US

If she had added in "I think she's a...." before the acusations I don't think there could have been any lawsuit, as legally a person is not allowed to published lies about someone and thus defame their character, but always has the right to publish whatever OPINION they want about anyone and anything........................

.....................people are stupid and I really wish that someone would publish some similar lies about me; I could really use $12,000,000 right now, though I doubt I would stand to loose that much no matter how much someone defamed my character in any publication...........

Oct 20 06 06:11 am Link

Photographer

far away

Jackson, Alabama, US

re- photography wrote:
If she had added in "I think she's a...." before the acusations I don't think there could have been any lawsuit, as legally a person is not allowed to published lies about someone and thus defame their character, but always has the right to publish whatever OPINION they want about anyone and anything........................

.....................people are stupid and I really wish that someone would publish some similar lies about me; I could really use $12,000,000 right now, though I doubt I would stand to loose that much no matter how much someone defamed my character in any publication...........

I've always been real careful about phrasing things, such as "In my opinion", "I think...", or just not being specific with a name.

Hell... I've had someone bashing my name on the net for three years. If only I could find out their identity (they won't say who they are and go through a proxy server), I'd be rich! One of these days I'll catch that bastard and cash in! Lol...

Oct 20 06 06:24 am Link

Photographer

Michael DBA Expressions

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

I would suggest one should consult an attorney for the details about what can and cannot be said before publishing (ie, posting in your blog) any accusations. And note that those details are a subject for state law, and are thus not uniform across the US, let alone internationally.

For example, here in Virginia, accusing any unmarried woman of being unchaste is libel/slander, regardless of any ability to prove it true. This being a legacy of the Civil War era, but still on the books last I checked, and as I recall, also not affected by whether you preface such remarks with "my opinion is . . . ."

On the other hand, I think you are much safer accusing someone of being a "fink," "jerk," etc. than you are accusing them of some criminal act. But still the proviso applies: check with an attorney before you launch that campaign.

Oct 20 06 06:27 am Link

Photographer

CAP603

Niles, Michigan, US

Another reason to use screen names when posting.

Oct 20 06 08:40 am Link

Photographer

re- photography

San Francisco, California, US

MichaelC wrote:
For example, here in Virginia, accusing any unmarried woman of being unchaste is libel/slander, regardless of any ability to prove it true. This being a legacy of the Civil War era, but still on the books last I checked

I live in Massachusetts, where I read somewhere that there was/is a law on the books that you couldn't/can't have a goatee without a permit............I do have a goatee and have since High School but I've never cosidered getting it registered......I wonder what they would say if I went into a court-house, town/city/state-offices, or DMV or something and asked where I could register my facial hair......................

Oct 20 06 09:42 am Link

Model

KS24

Nashville, Tennessee, US

That's what the world is coming to....anything to make a quick buck.

Quick...someone say something bad about me......I want $11.3 million (we'll split it)  wink

Oct 20 06 09:45 am Link

Photographer

500 Gigs of Desire

New York, New York, US

People accused of being cheats and swindlers, most likely are.
That case will set a precedent to protect the crooks and losers.

Oct 20 06 09:53 am Link