Forums > General Industry > Street photography, homeless and strange people

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

My perception, when reading threads about people wanting to shoot street photography, is that there is a great deal of interest in shooting the homeless and, for lack of a better word, "strange" people.

Is there a reason for this seeming fascination of subject matter?

Oct 19 06 01:50 pm Link

Photographer

landart

Blacksburg, Virginia, US

A photo of a homeless person doesn't really interest me.. However, thats just a personal thing. Having a homeless person in a 'real life' city scene or something of that sort that depicts reality is fine.

I do see it, sometimes done in a journalistic style, and sometimes just degrading.. Like they are being made fun of or looked down upon. That is just wrong to me.

I guess it depends on how, for the lack of a better word, 'tasteful', it is done.

David

Oct 19 06 01:57 pm Link

Photographer

Benedict

Norwich, England, United Kingdom

Yes, because the usual models with the usual poses gets rather boring to look at after a while. It's nice to see a photo/subject with a story behind it.

Oct 19 06 02:00 pm Link

Photographer

Lo Fi Art

Alice Town, Biminis, Bahamas

The faces of some of the street people are full of character.  Their weatherd skin, coarse gray hair and lines (and wrinkles) have a strong visual impact.  However, I still have trouble with the idea of trying capitalize on someone's misfortune (even if they have freely chosen thet lifstyle).  At any given moment, it could be me in that situation.

Bottom line: Whatever a photographer can live with.  I was told during journalism class, shoot the photo first and then decide if you can live with it.

Oct 19 06 02:01 pm Link

Photographer

R Michael Walker

Costa Mesa, California, US

I don't know about the homeless but I love the hookers, pimps and barflies. ESPECIALLY in smaller towns where maybe you don't expect them so much and where they tend to be more "accepted". I also like OLD people. Not in nursing homes but still living independently. I think a lot of people are fascinated by the dark side of life. Look at the successful films and books. Any wonder it spreads into photography? From Avedon to Robert Frank to the photojournalist like W. Eugen Smith and Henri Cartier Bresson many photographers have an obsession with the streets and the people on them.

https://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e266/rmwpro/PearlBald.jpg

Oct 19 06 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Mike Walker wrote:
I don't know about the homeless but I love the hookers, pimps and barflies. ESPECIALLY in smaller towns where maybe you don't expect them so much and where they tend to be more "accepted". I also like OLD people. Not in nursing homes but still living independently. I think a lot of people are fascinated by the dark side of life. Look at the successful films and books. Any wonder it spreads into photography? From Avedon to Robert Frank to the photojournalist like W. Eugen Smith and Henri Cartier Bresson many photographers have an obsession with the streets and the people on them.

https://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e266/rmwpro/PearlBald.jpg

Mike, that's a great shot.

I understand idea allure of the street.  I'm glad to hear of the wide range of subjects you're willing to explore.

Oct 19 06 02:14 pm Link

Photographer

John Van

Vienna, Wien, Austria

Get 'Suburbia' by Bill Owens, the classic on photography of everyday life that we consider boring, but that's fascinating when covered well.

Shooting homeless is a cliche, just like doorways, squirrels in the backyard and parkas (and I've done it all, except the parkas...)

Oct 19 06 02:26 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

KM von Seidl wrote:
My perception, when reading threads about people wanting to shoot street photography, is that there is a great deal of interest in shooting the homeless and, for lack of a better word, "strange" people.

Is there a reason for this seeming fascination of subject matter?

Sometimes there is pathos [and they don't sell that in the shops] like the old scruffy homless guy that sleeps on the streets with his eqally old and equally scruffy dog because he won't give up the dog, maybe his only real friend, to get a shelter place.

Other times there is out and out eccentricity [you can't buy that in the shops either]. One of my favourites and I don't have the shot readily at hand - is an old guy in a Santa suit and beard singing Christmas carols on the street... IN JULY Harmless, but certainly more than a bit odd.

Other times there is puzzlement... like the guy, in his 20's, with the "Homeless and Hungry" sign around his neck which presents an out and out lie in a Britain where everyone is entitled to food and shelter on the dole. The puzzle is why he asks for handout on the street when he can get a handout from the state for the asking? The answer usualy is that he DOES get his state handout but it doesn't include drug money.

And on, and on...

What is being photographed, and why such photographs are sometimes compelling, is that they are a reflection of the human condition from a position that most people can not relate to from first hand experience.

Studio36

Oct 19 06 02:33 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Ramsay Images

Austin, Texas, US

What is being photographed, and why such photographs are sometimes compelling, is that they are a reflection of the human condition from a position that most people can not relate to from first hand experience.

Exactly.  Could not have said it better myself.  Everything is cliche, if you look at it that way.  I shoot models, children, the ocean, a bird, old people, abstracts etc.  But people....my god....look at them...the stories, the lifelines in thier faces, the wonderment in a child's eyes or years of experience through an elderly person's eyes.  Why do I want to shoot homeless or street people.  Because I am intertested in why they are there.  What's your story?  Were you a CEO of a large company and now on the streets?  Were you a vet?  Drug addict?  Broken home?  I don't want to just get out my 300mm and shoot up an alley, I want to sit and talk...capture the faces, happy, sad, freaked out, strung out....it is compelling to me and I am sure many other people.  And so if I can bring these stories to life through my lens and put some words behind them to describe the "scene", then that is what inspires me.  Models?  Love em....love to shoot...high fashion to string bikinis, but I need to challenge myself as an individual and as a photographer and shoot a project with depth. I feel this is just the project...and if hanging in a gallery showing, I see people walking around looking at the photos feeling sorry for these people, or feeling like they would like to help these people or just "feeling", then I have created something that moves people...and that my freinds...is what photography is all about to me.

Cheers all,

Scott

Oct 19 06 04:18 pm Link

Photographer

Archived

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Normal people are just so... normal.

You do a double take when there's a weird person walking down the street - if you're lucky, they might yell, "Take a picture, it lasts longer!"

Oct 19 06 04:22 pm Link

Photographer

Dean Solo

Miami, Arizona, US

I love "street photography" and practice at it all the time. To me it's just the spontaneity of it and the element of surprise and voyeurism. Araki, my favourite photographer is quite proficient at it. It also strikes a nice balance between the superficiality and contrived aspects of fashion photography with doing something un-self concious and just for the pure joy of it. Realy, I am all for it as long as no one is exploited.

Oct 19 06 04:27 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

They don't have laptops and are unlikely to sue.

-D

Oct 19 06 05:25 pm Link

Photographer

R Michael Walker

Costa Mesa, California, US

I just posted 4 more examples on my profile if you want to take a look.
Mike

Oct 19 06 06:01 pm Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

New Haven, Connecticut, US

Been there,lived there and recieved mail there. I kept my cameras in a bus station locker for over a year. It was a hard time. I don't want to ever go back.

Oct 19 06 06:01 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Ramsay Images

Austin, Texas, US

Mike,

Awesome work.  Love the B&W street scenes.

Kudos sir!

Scott

Oct 19 06 06:19 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

D. Brian Nelson wrote:
They don't have laptops and are unlikely to sue.

-D

Sometimes as wise and funny man can reduce it to a sentence.  Kudos.

Oct 19 06 06:40 pm Link