Forums > General Industry > Payment: When do you start the clock?

Photographer

Jason McKendricks

Chico, California, US

I've heard different things from different photographers and different models and I've admittedly done it a couple of different ways myself. When paying the model, when do you start the clock? Is it when she arrives, starts preparing for the shoot or when the first photo is taken?

Do you stop the clock when the last photo is taken or when she signs the release?

Also, if any Bay Area models could pm me their rates for various types of modeling from fashion to implieds, that would be very much appreciated. I'm not actually planning to shoot in the Bay Area this month, I'd just like a general idea.

Thanks!

Oct 19 06 06:57 am Link

Photographer

commart

Hagerstown, Maryland, US

When the model arrives and at the appointed time, just like . . . work.

Oct 19 06 07:29 am Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

My clock stopped at 420..

Heck i must be on a break

(:-------

Hj

Oct 19 06 07:36 am Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Los Angeles, California, US

Hugh  Jorgen wrote:
My clock stopped at 420..

Heck i must be on a break

(:-------

Hj

Its always 420 baby....so Iguess no body gets paid... smile

Hugh! DUDE..Holla!

Oct 19 06 07:59 am Link

Photographer

ward

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

When the makeup is finished...and the shoot begins...But, I only pay nude models.

Oct 19 06 08:01 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

I start the clock when the model is ready to be photographed.  If she arrives & spends an hour shaving & primping & so forth, well, that's on her time.  I'm clear with the model that I'm paying her for her time in front of the camera.

Oct 19 06 10:02 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

I discuss this beforehand...like this:

How long are we shooting for?

X amount of hours.

When I'm ready (after MUA if there is one), then we start shooting.

I get paid for those X amount of hours that were previously agreed upon because I need a start and end time.

-D

Oct 19 06 10:36 am Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, US

If you book a model for 3 hours....she/he gets paid for 3 hours. I do not mind a model doing some makeup (touchups) during that time but I like her to arrive with most of it done. It's just like a regular job. If you have a regular job you would never show up to work in your pajamas and no makeup. You get ready at home and you do not get paid for it. And it goes both ways. If a model is paying me for a portfolio shoot, I would never think of charging her for the time it takes me to set up my lights and get ready.

Oct 19 06 10:42 am Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

There is no clock in my world. I tell the model the job will take X to X hours and it pays a grand total of $XXX. I don't pay by the hour. Always by the job.

Oct 19 06 10:47 am Link

Photographer

San Francisco Nudes

Novato, California, US

John Jebbia wrote:
There is no clock in my world. I tell the model the job will take X to X hours and it pays a grand total of $XXX. I don't pay by the hour. Always by the job.

That's how I do it too.

Oct 19 06 11:10 am Link

Photographer

azdave

Bitter Springs, Arizona, US

The first photo is the start for any paid photo-shoot I do.

Oct 19 06 11:13 am Link

Model

DELETE ACCOUNT

Eškašem, Badakhshan, Afghanistan

San Francisco Nudes wrote:

That's how I do it too.

Right on!

Oct 19 06 11:14 am Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

Personally I believe in a reduced rate for make-up and hair time. So if they make-up and hair take 60 minutes, than that is $15 at $15 an hour. So if the pay rate is $50 an hour for three hours it is $150, +$15 for the time in make-up and hair.

I would negotiate the reduced rate at the time of booking though, so everyone is clear on what is going on.

Star

Oct 19 06 11:29 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

If you want to go by the mainstream industry, here is how it works.

For film/Television/commercials - The model is paid from the moment they show up until the time they leave, unless they arrive before call time.  If they arrive before call time and are waiting around, payment starts at call time whether they are doing anything or not.

For commercial print, there is some variation.  In the past, the rule tended to be that the client was charged half rate for up to an hour for make-up/fitting and full rate thereafter.  The clock started when the model arrived, unless she was early and I already explained that.  That trend has been waning.  If you check the "terms" section for most of the major agencies around the country, you will find that the general rule is to pay full rate for everything including make-up/fitting.  What you are paying a model for is her time.   What you do with it is your problem and make-up is part of the job.

All that having been said, that is the mainstream, this is the net.   My advice is to make an agreement in advance and whatever you agree to is fine.  That is really all that matters.

The problem comes in where the model and the photographer have different ideas of the ground rules for the clock.  Whether the model gets paid from the time she walks in, from the time she starts to shoot or a flat rate for the project is irrelevant.  A meeting of the minds is all you are worried about.

Oct 19 06 12:36 pm Link

Model

OC Girl

Costa Mesa, California, US

Alan from Aavian Prod wrote:
What you are paying a model for is her time.   What you do with it is your problem and make-up is part of the job.

I couldn't agree more.    As Alan said, you're being paid for your time.  Some makeup artists and hair stylists are so slow.  It's not my fault it's taking forever.  Say I have a night shoot.  The call time is 4 p.m. and we don't start shooting 'til 6:00.  If I don't get paid, that's two hours I could have been making money at my other job.

It seems to me, all the quick shoots I do are paid by the hour.  Long shoots, I always seem to get a day rate.  I always get the bum deal.  I once did a job (it was a hosting gig), where it was supposed to take not more than four hours to film.  I arrived ready, but we didn't get started until four hours after I showed up.  The director even laughed and said he was glad he was paying me a day rate.  (I didn't leave because there would be future work.)

Now, if you're doing your own hair and makeup, you need to come ready.  However, you should get paid the whole time you are working together.  That goes from set up to release.  Anything that's mandatory to attend, i.e. hair and makeup or release signing, you should be paid for.  As Star mentioned earlier, prep time can sometimes be a reduced rate.  Hair shows tend to do this a lot.  Their prep day often pays differently than their show day.

Oct 19 06 01:14 pm Link

Photographer

dgold

Pawtucket, Rhode Island, US

...I don't "start the clock" until the makeup is completed and we're off to shoot-either in the studio or outdoors. I also don't believe in the clock entirely...sometimes paying more than the hourly rate agreed for a shoot where collaboration becomes fun and we create magic together. In those cases, the clock be damned.
...for the model "clock watcher" I play by the rules and agreement.
If I am paying for the MUA(most cases), then it's pay for shoot time, not MUA time.

Oct 19 06 01:25 pm Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, US

OC Girl wrote:

I couldn't agree more. you should get paid the whole time you are working together.  That goes from set up to release.

So should this work both ways? If I am being paid by a model should I be paid for the time it takes to set up my stuff and get ready?

Oct 19 06 05:35 pm Link

Photographer

g2-new photographics

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I start when the model walks onto the seamless and stop when she finally walks off.  We both need breaks in-between, but I just include that.  Makes little difference in the end, and creates lots of good will.

Oct 19 06 05:41 pm Link

Photographer

Ivan Aps

Miami, Florida, US

Thomas B wrote:

So should this work both ways? If I am being paid by a model should I be paid for the time it takes to set up my stuff and get ready?

Of course.  My portfolio sessions bill by the look with a given amount of time per look and a additional rate per half hour after that time. I figure it should take a certian amountof time to get a look.  Anymore time it takes than that due to wardrobe or make-up costs them.

Oct 19 06 05:42 pm Link

Photographer

Tied And Taped

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Depends, but in general from the moment the rope first touches the model's wrists...

Hey, you asked.

Oct 19 06 06:43 pm Link

Model

Nemesis73

Dayton, Alabama, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
I start the clock when the model is ready to be photographed.  If she arrives & spends an hour shaving & primping & so forth, well, that's on her time.  I'm clear with the model that I'm paying her for her time in front of the camera.

I never charge for time we're not shooting. That's ridiculous.

N.

Oct 20 06 01:30 pm Link

Photographer

Mann Made Imagery

Lubbock, Texas, US

i only pay for the time shooting.  i don't pay for the time they get ready to be shot.  i'm a photographer i pay the model to PHOTOGRAPH them. if i have an MUA on set, i pay him/her for the MUA work, if i have a stylist i pay him/her for that, but I do not pay the model for that.  the model is a model. of course i've never had to pay a model so far.  they've paid me though smile and i charge by the hour and a few other things that come into play. so it varies for each client.

Oct 20 06 01:33 pm Link