Forums > General Industry > WHERE DO I FIT IN !?

Model

McChicano

New York, New York, US

I have no idea where i fit into this business. I have ruled out runway because of the height requirement. I need feedback.

Aug 16 05 01:12 am Link

Photographer

Aaron_H

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Looks like you're fitting in sideways so far...

Aug 16 05 01:23 am Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

Aaron_H wrote:
Looks like you're fitting in sideways so far...

lol sounds about right, but seriously, if you're too short for runway its not a big deal at all, there is always the wonderful world of print. im only 5'0!

Aug 16 05 01:25 am Link

Photographer

Aaron_H

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Ok, I looked. You're good looking, but your height will still probably be a problem even in commercial modeling since they'll often want you working with females and they want you to look proportionally taller than them. A lot of commercial models that would be playing your wife, girlfriend, or date are going to be your height or even an inch or so taller than you. Unfortunately your look is suited to those "leading man" roles but your height isn't. That doesn't mean you can't work at all, especially maybe in lifestyle type stock with the right partner model, but it will limit you.

If you have an interest, and any talent for, acting you might consider that.

Aug 16 05 01:32 am Link

Model

angelavasquez

Murrieta, California, US

You have a face of a runway model, But you never know, things are always changing in this business, your height may be okay some day, this industry always has its fashion moments...

Ciao
Angela
xoxoxoxoxo

Aug 16 05 10:52 am Link

Photographer

Fred Brown Photo

Chicago, Illinois, US

Good advice thus far but in the mean time, you need to start photographing like the type of model you are trying to be. Less all of the other stuff and more you.

Aug 16 05 11:26 am Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

You have a model type look when you’re not yielding a knife or exhausting the MuA's make-up supply.

I'd find your style and work around that.

Good Luck!

Aug 16 05 11:34 am Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

McChicano wrote:
I have no idea where i fit into this business. I have ruled out runway because of the height requirement. I need feedback.

Well I'd try print, but seriously... Lose some of the images. Your portfolio right now looks like a hodgepodge of model and 'I want to be far far away from you' inspirational images.

John

Aug 16 05 11:46 am Link

Model

McChicano

New York, New York, US

HAHAHA!!!

Aug 18 05 12:39 am Link

Model

Christie_Marie

Fayetteville, Arkansas, US

You are in NY. Visit some agency open calls and let them tell you where they want you.

Aug 18 05 12:49 am Link

Makeup Artist

The Body Painter Rich

Sacramento, California, US

Unfortunately your look is suited to those "leading man" roles but your height isn't.

Hmmmm Dustin Hoffman, Tom Cruise, Arnold the Governator...all of them are not even 5'9"

I don't know what the requirements are for print or runway in NY, but I do know that many "leading men" in films and TV are not nearly so large as they might appear on the screen. If you are proportional, if you are in shape, and if you have "the look" that is wanted at a given time you will be able to find work. Even better....if you know the right people you will REALLY get work.

My advice wink sleep around with powerful people, be seen in all the right places, and wear expensive clothing.

No...seriously now...get some decent pics and submit them, go to some open calls, and be ready for rejection. You might get lucky!

Aug 18 05 01:20 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

The Body Painter Rich wrote:
Hmmmm Dustin Hoffman, Tom Cruise, Arnold the Governator...all of them are not even 5'9"

Arnold is 6'2"

Paul

Aug 18 05 03:43 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Paul Ferrara wrote:

Arnold is 6'2"

Paul

See? Not 5'9".

Short is always an impediment in modeling, even commercial work. Try acting maybe?

Aug 18 05 03:48 pm Link

Model

McChicano

New York, New York, US

Ive been told by friends to try acting but have no desire to

Aug 18 05 10:45 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

McChicano wrote:
Ive been told by friends to try acting but have no desire to

so try being a photographer.

Aug 19 05 12:11 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

MHana wrote:
so try being a photographer.

Or a drama critic.  (Maybe a sluggo?  I hear there's good money in that.)

Aug 19 05 12:13 am Link