Forums > General Industry > Task management software..

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

I could ask this elsewhere.. (And will).. But, for those who work professionally in modeling, styling, photographer.. Or even as their side job..

Do you use any sort of task management software to keep track of your to-do lists and keep organized?

I'm shopping, but I've never used this stuff, so I'm going in blind..

I need something that will let me organize multiple to-do lists on the fly, preferrably while being able to integrate them (so I know if there's a conflict between things going on on multiple lists..)

I need to be able to check off finished items, prioritize..

Contact management wouldn't hurt.. But task management and time organization are my main goals..

Anyone use anything for this?  Any pointers on what I should be looking for while I research software?

Oct 18 06 01:05 pm Link

Model

DOne

Seattle, Washington, US

I use microsoft outlook. I have three different calendars set up.
One is solely for the children, their activities, and to help keep track of whos weekend or holiday it is between my exhusband and I.

I also use the to do list to remind me what bills need to be paid and by when....as well as make my grocery list.

I like it because its very simple to use.

smile Meela

Oct 18 06 01:57 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Tallent

Beaumont, Texas, US

I've been using Google Calendar to arrange my schedule...

For tasks, I'm taking a simplified "Getting Things Done" approach:
1. Set up to-do items as all-day events on my calendar
2. Move them to tomorrow if they are my "Next Actions"
3. Move them to the end of the month, etc. if they are less important

Since it's all drag/drop, this method works well for me. For photo shoots, I can easily move models to various days, and I use the event description to keep my original notes from phone calls, etc.

I can get to Google Calendar anywhere, and there's even some open source software for synching it with my phone (haven't tried it yet). I can publish free/busy information about my photo shoots without revealing confidential client information and I have separate "calendars" (viewable in aggregate) for family, photography, and work.

Oct 18 06 05:24 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Wish that would do it for me.. Unfortunately I've got a backlog of things I need to be nagged about..  And repeating tasks I need to set and forget (until it's time to remind me..)

I'm still on it..

It's not a huge requirement list.. But so far it's just enough that the basics I already have access to (or could easily get) don't quite cut it.. And the next level seems to be full on business software that costs and arm, a leg, and the table and does 10,000 things more than I'd ever need.. (Or would want to wade through to get done what I need..)

Oct 18 06 05:40 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

Regarding organizing a whirlwind of model leads and schedules, I find I can't detach myself from lots of thumbnail sketches, emails, attachments, and lists of ideas I crank out on my knee as I drive down the street. To try to keep these things in my computer is pointless consumption of time that can be used better.

My solution that seems to be working well for model photo shoot brainstorming and scheduling is to use large storyboards (pinboards). As far as software goes, corkboard is pretty soft.

I have a big box of paper clamps, and as my blizzard of paper notes piles in drifts in my office, I clip everything related to one person's name in the paper clamp, then open the back of the clamp to hang on a push pin. These clumps of important information per model can be moved around visually and spatially, and prioritized by where they hang on the storeyboard. This handles my current working array of model management. If they are not currently active, this information is archived in boxes alphabetically.

I've tried many kinds of calendars over the years, both on the computer and physical, and nothing has been able to beat the 8 1/2 x 11 page stuck on my wall for each month with squares per day to write in appointments. This handles my timeline.

This system meshes pretty well with other things in my computer like OneNote. I'm in need of a new contact management software. Since my DOS days of Telemagic, I have not found one that's so effective for organizing large volumes of contact information. I also want an email list organizer for mass mailings. Suggestions are welcome.

Each moment is precious. Time is fleeting.

Oct 18 06 05:43 pm Link

Photographer

J Merrill Images

Harvey, Illinois, US

Outlook will nag you if you wish and you can tell it when to start nagging you. It will also allow you to set up repetitive tasks with a variety of frquencies.

Oct 18 06 05:45 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

J Merrill Images wrote:
Outlook will nag you if you wish and you can tell it when to start nagging you. It will also allow you to set up repetitive tasks with a variety of frquencies.

I'm going to look into it further.. The biggest snag with Outlook is it has the crappiest documentation... PERIOD!

Hell if I understood if better I could write my own plugins (I'm not a great programmer, but I have the tools) to add functionality I need... But..  I've written software for other Office apps (not fun, but doable)..  Getting usable documentation on the inner workings of Outlook (even just as a user) have evaded me..

And I've had Outlook barf and loose everything on me once or trice..

Oct 18 06 05:48 pm Link

Photographer

Bay Photo

Marseille, Provence-Alpes-Côte-d'Azur, France

i use the Palm Desktop software that came with my PDA. i do not use the PDA anymore, but like the plam software as a calendar, but as a contact manager it is not too good.

nothing is really perfect that i have found to do it all yet.

i use fotobiz and blink bid as well as quick books for business software and contact management

Oct 18 06 05:54 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Tallent

Beaumont, Texas, US

W.G. Rowland wrote:
Unfortunately I've got a backlog of things I need to be nagged about..  And repeating tasks I need to set and forget (until it's time to remind me..)

Google Calendar handles repeating tasks, has pop-up reminders when you are on the site, and can send text messages to your phone to nag you...

(I just like the idea of combining my calendar and to-do list, it seems redundant when tasks are date-sensitive...)

Another option: Ta-da (http://www.tadalist.com/)

Oct 19 06 09:51 pm Link

Photographer

J Merrill Images

Harvey, Illinois, US

I agree that Outlook is not documented well and isn't particularly user friendly. I avoided it like the plague for years but had to start using it last year when I went to work for a new company that pretty much insists on its use. Now that I am getting used Outlook, I am finding that it does alot more than I thought it did. I still hate some of the limitations that it has but have discovered a few things that work well for me.

PS: I also think Word Perfect is a much better program than Word but, since the business world seems to be locked into the Microsoft realm, I just deal with it. LOL - maybe George should have invaded the Microsoft campus in search of an evil leader instead of Iraq!

Oct 19 06 10:03 pm Link

Photographer

none of the above

Marina del Rey, California, US

software works well for some things, such as spreadsheets and a strong database, but for scheduling i still use good ol' pen and pencil.

steno-pads for voice mail notes and numbers as they are spiral bound and easily retrieved.  my voice mail is also tied into outlook and messages are delivered in wav files.  my calendar is incorporated into a 3-ring binder within a portfolio that includes pencils for writing in tentative and overwritten in pen upon firming the schedule.  tasks are written into the notes section.

i tried a palm pilot.  too much work and takes too much time.  i tried going full laptop, far too cumbersome.  i tried micro-cassette recording for voice memos and it became another piece of gear to haul around.

i look around and i'm surrounded by high-tech crap.  i keep my life organized around it with a low-tech method.   it may not be geeky but it works for me.

--face reality

Oct 19 06 10:40 pm Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

I was just recently asked to help someone plan the development of a software program for such a thing.  The contact management programs just seem to fall short when it comes to layered project management.  You might look into project management aps.

https://www.jaydezelic.com/remote/mmBtn01.gif

Oct 19 06 11:19 pm Link

Photographer

Searcher

New York, New York, US

I just use the Google to-do list on the Google personalized home page. You can give things high, medium, or low priority and switch them around on the fly.

Oct 19 06 11:23 pm Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

i spend way too much time at the computer, so i just bought a t-mobile mda and have been using the calendar thingy in windows mobile.  it's simple, and let's me actually leave the apt.

Oct 20 06 02:32 am Link

Photographer

Richard Tallent

Beaumont, Texas, US

Saw this video today about a new web-based productivity app (Scrybe), can't wait to use it myself:

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2006/10/20 … ng-to-try/

Other than a really slick interface, the biggest feature I saw was the ability to use it offline (yes, in your web browser) and sync when you get back online. As a web application developer (my real job), I was pretty impressed.

Oct 20 06 02:39 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Richard Tallent wrote:
Saw this video today about a new web-based productivity app (Scrybe), can't wait to use it myself:

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2006/10/20 … ng-to-try/

Other than a really slick interface, the biggest feature I saw was the ability to use it offline (yes, in your web browser) and sync when you get back online. As a web application developer (my real job), I was pretty impressed.

I know there's no such thing as free anymore.. And actually from what I'm seeing this seems like a really big deal.. Any idea on the pricing structure?  Is this a purchase?  A service?  Being able to access and add to information from anywhere.. Well..  That's enough to get me excited.. That would be a HUGE productivity boon to my work..

But I doubt I can get my boss to invest in services..  He just doesn't think that way..

In the meantime.. I picked up Microsoft OneNote.. I don't think it has a chance to hit upon all my needs.. But as an organizational tool it seems like it could be really useful in the office.. I'm even thinking of rebuilding the office SOP in OneNote so it can be more easily accessed and edited (especially since I build the software the place runs on.. And everytime I change something I need to change the SOP..  Which, not being a document writer...  I'm woefully behind on..)

Oct 20 06 03:40 pm Link