Forums > General Industry > Release form help?

Model

Yazdnil

Monterey, California, US

Hello MM, I'm new to the modeling scene and was looking to hear input and get advice on release forms.  Should I have one as a model?  What should I look out for when signing one from a photographer?  Should something always be signed when pictures are taken?  Some friendly advice would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

Oct 17 06 07:58 pm Link

Photographer

TA Craft Photography

Bristol, England, United Kingdom

I am no expert in these matters, also I'm in UK not US so legal aspects will be different.

The release is to give the photographer right to use the pictures. If you do not sign a release, the pictures can not be used in any commercial environment. I would guess either party can supply the form.

The model release is basicly the model giving the photographer permission to use the pictures. If you supply the MR form, I would guess many photographers would read the release very carefully, and possible want to still use there own.

Oct 18 06 01:22 pm Link

Photographer

Frank McAdam

New York, New York, US

It's the photographer who provides the release, not the model.  I use a standard ASMP release (they have a book on business practices that contain model forms).  I use the form as is, without changes, and I certainly would not allow the model to make changes.  If the model wanted to use her own form, I would not shoot with her.

Oct 18 06 01:25 pm Link

Model

_Tasha_

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

you have way more power by not signing a release, then if you do. i wouldnt sign a release unless i was compensated fully for the useage of the images.

Oct 18 06 01:28 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

Yazdnil wrote:
Hello MM, I'm new to the modeling scene and was looking to hear input and get advice on release forms.  Should I have one as a model?  What should I look out for when signing one from a photographer?  Should something always be signed when pictures are taken?  Some friendly advice would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

www.newmodels.com

Oct 18 06 01:29 pm Link