Forums > General Industry > Doing Bloody Shoots? Read This!!!

Model

Uber Dami

New Haven, Connecticut, US

ok, i see so many people getting into the "its halloween lets do a vampire/goth shot" thing (some of us do this all year people, so we know a thing or two about it).  if your planning on featuring fake blood in your shoot, for all things sacred please take a moment to read this so that your model doesnt end up looking like you poured kool aid or ketchup on her!!!

first off, if your going the easy route and buying some fake blood, be choosey!!! a lot of the theatrical blood is runny and drys with an orange stain which looks so fake it hurts.  look for the small tubs of "coagulated" stage blood.  sure its goopey as all hell, but it goes on with great texture, drys nicely, and makes for an amazing effect.

secondly, if your going the home made route, its not just kero syrup and red food coloring!! a simple and cheap way ive learned is to not only use kero syrup but to add in some corn starch as well, just a bit of it, it gives a thicker more controllable consistancy yet still gives the blood run effect that is usually desired.  also dont forget to add a dash of blue and some yellow food coloring to the red, in small ratios until its a nice deep red.  this will give you the authentic look.

there are many other methods ive learned, but these are the easiest for someone who just wants to use some in a shoot and doesnt want to be a chemist about it.

so now you may proceed with your blood shoots, and it wont look like your model fell asleep in a puddle of hawaiin punch.

Oct 17 06 06:55 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

San Diego, California, US

You are not allowed to create useful and informative posts around here. Apologize.

Oct 17 06 06:56 pm Link

Model

Uber Dami

Mikel Featherston wrote:
You are not allowed to create useful and informative posts around here. Apologize.

haha i apologize for trying to make you people not look like fools when you attempt to be spooky

Oct 17 06 06:58 pm Link

Photographer

Mikel Featherston

San Diego, California, US

I don't need fake blood to get a creepy look. C'mon, you've seen my self portrait. wink

Oct 17 06 07:00 pm Link

Model

Uber Dami

hahaha true

Oct 17 06 07:12 pm Link

Photographer

Dr Molly Black

Cleveland, Ohio, US

I buy mine from Kryolon in SF whenever I'm in town. Every time I get the next larger size. This time I'm just getting the biggest one. They're fantastic with their theatrical make up and they have fantastic faux blood. Plus it doesn't stain. Or look too fake...

http://www.kryolan.com/en/Products/Pro/ … /Blood.htm (I opened the frame so you wouldn't have to look through everything to make your way to the "blood").

Oct 17 06 07:46 pm Link

Model

Uber Dami

see? your onto the good stuff too lol just trying to teach some people in here a thing or two about this stuff, thanks for the link im sure itll help people

Oct 17 06 07:47 pm Link

Photographer

Southern Image Photo

Garner, North Carolina, US

Great recipe - but how do you get it off? I've heard from several sources that it stains badly.

Oct 17 06 07:49 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Ha!

Who needs fake blood.

I did my Halloween shoot without it... see portfolio

Oct 17 06 07:51 pm Link

Model

DOne

Seattle, Washington, US

Uber

just wanted to say I love the new work in your port. (Its been quite awhile since I peeked into). Body still rocks....and I was shocked to see you in a dress....you looked great.

smile Meela

Oct 17 06 07:51 pm Link

Model

Uber Dami

Southern Image Photo wrote:
Great recipe - but how do you get it off? I've heard from several sources that it stains badly.

ive had no trouble with using anti bacterial soap to get it off.  noxzema and those cleansers work well too

Oct 17 06 08:00 pm Link

Model

Uber Dami

Southern Image Photo wrote:

ive had no trouble with using anti bacterial soap to get it off.  noxzema and those cleansers work well too

Model

Uber Dami

Meela wrote:
Uber

just wanted to say I love the new work in your port. (Its been quite awhile since I peeked into). Body still rocks....and I was shocked to see you in a dress....you looked great.

smile Meela

haha thank you, i went for something outside my usual, it was a fun experiment

Model

Mircalla

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I don't need  blood to make me look spooky. Bwa-ha-ha-haaaa!!

Seriously though, it's good advice. I have seen so so many photographs using the  fake blood route and to be honest-they're just a little too cartoonish. I suppose maybe that's what the photographer wanted (after all, we don't want people thinking that people actually bled for their shoots [although I do know of some who have done this and would have been better off using the Karo syrup method]).

sound advice. Merci!

Oct 17 06 08:37 pm Link

Model

Uber Dami

figured id lend a hand to those who dont want cartoony shots

Oct 17 06 11:47 pm Link

Photographer

Conceptually Black

Columbus, Ohio, US

Another good product is Powdered Blood, you can mix up the consistency, use it thick or runny, it dries nicely, plus it is edible. Another thing with regular stage blood is that it tends to stain clothes and some other surfaces(want to see me old kitchen table?), but powdered blood doesn't stain as it is natural.
I also use Ben Nye Fresh Scab, it is like jelly but with an awesome deep purple look.
To clean I tend to use Cetaphil, it is for sensitive skin, but it cleans nicely.

Figured I would thow in my 2 cents here too.

Oct 17 06 11:54 pm Link

Model

Uber Dami

Lazyi Photography wrote:
Another good product is Powdered Blood, you can mix up the consistency, use it thick or runny, it dries nicely, plus it is edible. Another thing with regular stage blood is that it tends to stain clothes and some other surfaces(want to see me old kitchen table?), but powdered blood doesn't stain as it is natural.
I also use Ben Nye Fresh Scab, it is like jelly but with an awesome deep purple look.
To clean I tend to use Cetaphil, it is for sensitive skin, but it cleans nicely.

Figured I would thow in my 2 cents here too.

excellent choices in fake blood your obviously on the right track with your choices....unlike some people ive encountered on here who buy the runny orangy walgreens special and think it'll be just fine.

Oct 17 06 11:56 pm Link

Photographer

Montgomery Montague

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

Funny, I just shot a blood series.  Used strawberry syrup and dirt.  Then again my shots were intended to be black and white so exact color wasn't crucial.  It's far too bright to be used for color work.  Judge for yourself the results in my port...  if the server issues ever get resolved that is.

Oct 17 06 11:58 pm Link

Model

Uber Dami

Montague wrote:
Funny, I just shot a blood series.  Used strawberry syrup and dirt.  Then again my shots were intended to be black and white so exact color wasn't crucial.  It's far too bright to be used for color work.  Judge for yourself the results in my port...  if the server issues ever get resolved that is.

even though i cant quite see the shots right now due to gremlins meddling with mm again, i can appreciate your choice of a mixture....in black and white its all about texture and from the sounds of it, it seems like you made a concoction with a great texture for bw shots.  good thinking smile

Oct 18 06 12:01 am Link

Model

Nos13

I put a wee bit of dish soap in my blood and it comes off skin and clothing very well. I've also found that coffee adda a great color to the blood ;D
Great post !

XoXo
Nos

Oct 18 06 12:02 am Link

Model

Uber Dami

Nos13 wrote:
I put a wee bit of dish soap in my blood and it comes off skin and clothing very well. I've also found that coffee adda a great color to the blood ;D
Great post !

XoXo
Nos

thanks smile  and yes i forgot all about the dish soap trick thank you for pointing that out to anyone who may need to know. and yes i agree coffee is awesome for that perfect touch of color.  awesome to know other people out there make good fake blood lol.

Oct 18 06 12:03 am Link

Photographer

Conceptually Black

Columbus, Ohio, US

As soon as the server issues are done, I can't wait to peek through everyones port here and check out what others are doing(at least others that know what to use).

Plus another important thing is putting on the blood. I've seen people buy the big jugs of blood and then just pout it places.
My blood application tools include a huge syringe, turkey baster, sponge brushes, regular large paint brush(awesome splattering), stipple sponges, cotton balls, little dishes and a funnel. Depending on where I put it is what is called for.

Oct 18 06 12:08 am Link

Photographer

Odins Eye

West Wendover, Nevada, US

http://www.shades-of-night.com/painneck/blood.html

I liked these recipes, used one in my shoot.

Buckets O' Blood was actually the specific one, and incase the link doesn't work:

Buckets o' Blood

1 Liter Corn Syrup

5 Liters Water

2 or 3 Tablespoons Red Food Coloring
1/2 Teaspoon Green Food Coloring (optional)
A slosh of milk
Get a large pail to mix this all together. If you do not like the consistancy you can either thin it with more water, or thicken it with sugar or corn syrup. The exact amount of food coloring you require will depend on the brand you buy, so you may need to play around with the measurements. If you make it too dark, just add more water again. Adding some milk will reduce the translucent of the mixture (real blood isn't see-thru, but if you want clear blood, leave the milk out of the recipe). Don't add too much milk or the blood will look pink!

The final product should splash like water, but be slightly shinier, and not soak into cloth quite the same way water does, leaving more of it on the outside of clothes so they look suitably bloodied. NOTE: This will stain clothing, so don't get it on anything important.

Oct 18 06 12:12 am Link

Model

Uber Dami

thanks for sharing the recipe, i hope it helps some people

Oct 18 06 12:24 am Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Love goth.. Hate blood..

Does that make me Emo?

If so, tickle me.

Oct 18 06 12:27 am Link

Model

Uber Dami

W.G. Rowland wrote:
Love goth.. Hate blood..

Does that make me Emo?

If so, tickle me.

ya blood isnt my fave to use either, but i know a lot of people think its "edgy" so i figured id give them some hints and have others throw in some ideas so they dont make complete fools of themselves trying to pull off the "spooky" factor.

Oct 18 06 12:29 am Link

Model

Shura

Jefferson City, Missouri, US

In some stores, you can actually buy cow or pig blood. I don't think it would be very sanitary though.

Oct 18 06 01:27 am Link

Photographer

photosbydmp

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

Mikel Featherston wrote:
I don't need fake blood to get a creepy look. C'mon, you've seen my self portrait. wink

amen to that one, i know where your coming from indeed, i'm haunting myself.

Oct 18 06 01:33 am Link

Model

Uber Dami

Shura wrote:
In some stores, you can actually buy cow or pig blood. I don't think it would be very sanitary though.

my friend has a vat of pigs blood i smells funny

Oct 18 06 01:57 am Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

I can't use the homless shelter any longer they are watching me..I think?

Oct 18 06 08:22 am Link

Photographer

Maynard Southern

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

Personally, I'm not taking any pictures of blood unless it's real.

Oct 18 06 08:30 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

I'm surprised no one mentioned this.  I work in B&W exclusively, and when I want to add a little blood, I use chocolate syrup.  (Note:  some brands are thicker than the others -- use the thick kind).  Quick & simple.

BTW:  chocolate syrup is what Alfred Hitchcock used when he made Psycho.

Oct 18 06 11:01 am Link

Photographer

duds here

Chicago, Illinois, US

You just know way too much about the color of blood and how it looks!

Oct 18 06 12:11 pm Link