Forums > General Industry > GWC.... Or Photographic Genius?

Photographer

Ken Pivak Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

Responding to the OP:

It's just marketing...look at the demographic age here...it's not about the image or images, but the lifestyle...so many kids today use their phones as cameras and the imagery that appeals to them is imagery they relate to all day.  Walk into their minds and you can sell them anything.

So about the GWC thing again...it's not that and I think this subject is not something that's needed here, besides the more we all discuss this GWC crap, the more validity we all give it.  Talk about work that really turns you on and find some great examples out there.  This is fashion and fashion is as old as it is created.  Now if we want to talk about marketing to different demograhics,  then that's something we can all get our teeth into.  Life is so different and advertisers are becoming very creative in how they market as much as what they are showing us.  It's all about getting smaller and getting right into your hands...phone, iPods, computers.  We don't turn our heads up anymore to see the billboards or ads, but we do spend so much time looking down into our devices...think about it.

Anyhow just a thought.
with kindness,
PixelFisher.

Oct 18 06 03:02 am Link

Photographer

Ken Pivak Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

Everytime I turn a page I get this double thing...sorry.

Oct 18 06 03:03 am Link

Photographer

J A M E S

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

oldguysrule wrote:
Rodney?
There was a King Rodney?
and just why would i want to 'get along?'
this IS an internet forum. There are points distributed here for ignorance and obmoxiousness... just ask anyone.

*breaks into song.... "this is my quest...."

save it. I'm not tryng to argue with you tonight or at all for that matter.  I still need your teaching....then we can argue..  ;  }

Oct 18 06 03:03 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Pixel Fisher wrote:
We don't turn our heads up anymore to see the billboards or ads, but we do spend so much time looking down into our devices...think about it.

Anyhow just a thought.
with kindness,
PixelFisher.

Hence viral marketing... the new wave... the truly better mousetrap.

Oct 18 06 03:04 am Link

Photographer

J A M E S

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

James Jackson wrote:

You're catching on, but you're too quick this late at night/early in the morning.

that's because I'm a King! ; }

Oct 18 06 03:04 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

TSOJAW wrote:

that's because I'm a King! ; }

Are you a king or is that a paper hat?  Are you really fooling yourself?

Oct 18 06 03:06 am Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

you know how much f*ing trouble i'm in when you are ready to take me on? LOL
cheers, grasshpper!

TSOJAW wrote:

save it. I'm not tryng to argue with you tonight or at all for that matter.  I still need your teaching....then we can argue..  ;  }

Oct 18 06 03:07 am Link

Photographer

J A M E S

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

oldguysrule wrote:
you know how much f*ing trouble i'm in when you are ready to take me on? LOL
cheers, grasshpper!

MAJOR!  But you are GOOD and I am, and will forever be a student.  How else can I change it?

Oct 18 06 03:10 am Link

Photographer

Dean Solo

Miami, Arizona, US

Marko Cecic-Karuzic wrote:
Terry: an idiot and a perv who's also a genius and tapped into our would-be instant celebs psyche. Excellent photographer for the contemporary zeitgeist.

Juergen Teller: fucking brilliant. period.

(my take, anyhoo.)

Oh, and I'd frame that pic of Terry by the by.

Thanks for the appreciation..

I agree about Jurgen Teller. The first time I saw his work I kind of dismissed it as just being flash. A couple of years ago I saw a portfolio he did and there was a portrait of his wife with her child standing in front of a tree and it was one of those photos you have an epiphany about. I don't know what his intentions were and I assure you I was not stoned at the time, but in that photo I saw the whole cycle of death and re-birth so clearly and pronounced.. it just made me understand something on a level I have never understood before.

As for the Terry pic, I related the story before.. I saw him several months afterwards at a book signing and gave him a copy of it. He seemed genuinely appreciative and in turn signed my book along with his assistants. I was told later by Dian Hanson that I was the only one besides publisher Benedikt Taschen that had a copy of his book signed by both him and his entourage. I thought it was cool.

Oct 18 06 03:25 am Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Pixel Fisher wrote:
Responding to the OP:

It's just marketing...look at the demographic age here...it's not about the image or images, but the lifestyle...so many kids today use their phones as cameras and the imagery that appeals to them is imagery they relate to all day.  Walk into their minds and you can sell them anything.

So about the GWC thing again...it's not that and I think this subject is not something that's needed here, besides the more we all discuss this GWC crap, the more validity we all give it.  Talk about work that really turns you on and find some great examples out there.  This is fashion and fashion is as old as it is created.  Now if we want to talk about marketing to different demograhics,  then that's something we can all get our teeth into.  Life is so different and advertisers are becoming very creative in how they market as much as what they are showing us.  It's all about getting smaller and getting right into your hands...phone, iPods, computers.  We don't turn our heads up anymore to see the billboards or ads, but we do spend so much time looking down into our devices...think about it.

Anyhow just a thought.
with kindness,
PixelFisher.

Bingo.

Oct 18 06 04:14 am Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Dean Solo wrote:
Thanks for the appreciation..

I agree about Jurgen Teller. The first time I saw his work I kind of dismissed it as just being flash. A couple of years ago I saw a portfolio he did and there was a portrait of his wife with her child standing in front of a tree and it was one of those photos you have an epiphany about. I don't know what his intentions were and I assure you I was not stoned at the time, but in that photo I saw the whole cycle of death and re-birth so clearly and pronounced.. it just made me understand something on a level I have never understood before.

As for the Terry pic, I related the story before.. I saw him several months afterwards at a book signing and gave him a copy of it. He seemed genuinely appreciative and in turn signed my book along with his assistants. I was told later by Dian Hanson that I was the only one besides publisher Benedikt Taschen that had a copy of his book signed by both him and his entourage. I thought it was cool.

Two cool stories. I've never met Richardson in person and he's one of the few great ones that I'm not sure I'd want to, but those who have worked with him have told me some wacky stories that suggest that he enjoys the discomfort of others, and that's generally the sign of somebody who's not exactly a nice guy (and brings to mind Helmut Newton). Nice to hear he was a nice appreciative guy to you.

Richardson's work to me seems to be a natural extension updated for the times of the style magazine viewpoint, aesthetic and statement begun in the late 80s but exploded in the 90s (ie i-D, Dazed and Confused, Nylon, etc). Arguably the prime motivating vision behind that whole movement was one Juergen Teller. He was THE voice of early i-D magazine and was one of the main reasons why I wanted to be a fashion photographer, though it took me years to admit it to myself.

I just got a copy of his "Do You Know What I Mean?" monograph. I have several others of his, but this has almost instantly become perhaps my favorite coffee table book in my bookcase.

Oct 18 06 04:23 am Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

Marko Cecic-Karuzic wrote:

"Good taste has no place in photography." - David LaChapelle

helmut newton made a similar statement

Oct 18 06 09:16 am Link