Forums > General Industry > how do you find full time photography jobs in USA?

Photographer

Jon Roberts

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

Hi all,

I'm looking for a job in a studio in the very near future, I have no real ties to the UK (where I am now) so I'm seriously looking at work abroad, in particular the USA.

which leads me onto the point...... In the UK we have websites like fish4jobs and monster that hold a massive database of available jobs to search through nationwide.... I understand that America has monster too but are there any other large organisations that are similar to find work? I'm not location specific but would prefer North America

also........if you have (or know someone who has) any vacancy for a budding photographer please feel free to get in touch.

your help is greatly appreciated

Jon Roberts

Oct 16 06 02:17 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Jon Roberts wrote:
Hi all,

I'm looking for a job in a studio in the very near future, I have no real ties to the UK (where I am now) so I'm seriously looking at work abroad, in particular the USA.

which leads me onto the point...... In the UK we have websites like fish4jobs and monster that hold a massive database of available jobs to search through nationwide.... I understand that America has monster too but are there any other large organisations that are similar to find work? I'm not location specific but would prefer North America

also........if you have (or know someone who has) any vacancy for a budding photographer please feel free to get in touch.

Jon Roberts

Full time photo job here?
Good luck!

Oct 16 06 02:31 pm Link

Photographer

TheLoftStudios

Houston, Texas, US

As far as I know of, it's all about "WHO" U know.....at least in the Catalog Industry.
It's Cut-Throat here in this Industry.....

Oct 16 06 02:32 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

www.craigslist.com works great for over-all employment (photography included) but to be photo studio specific, join www.asmp.org

There you'll find studio/photography specific work along with professional tips and advise.

Good Luck and enjoy the Baseball, Hot Dogs and Apple Pie wink

Oct 16 06 02:33 pm Link

Photographer

nathan combs

Waynesboro, Virginia, US

SLE Photography wrote:

Full time photo job here?
Good luck!

tell me about it sad

Oct 16 06 02:38 pm Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

Jon Roberts wrote:
Hi all,

Jon Roberts

Plenty of photography jobs....if you like photographing drooling, spitting, squealing kiddies at WalMart for mininum wage and be on your feet 10 hours a day.....

Other than that it's make your own way....like most of us here do.

Oct 16 06 02:52 pm Link

Photographer

Jon Roberts

hehe, thanks for the replies so far......

as much as I would love to just down tools move and set up in the USA I don't have the funding or the contacts to do so.

I guess I would really be looking for an assistants job, I realize it's cut throat out there, but then to be honest it's not as if there aer hundreds of jobs to walk into here either, competition is everywhere

I'll check out the sites listed (thanks for that)

any more ideas anyone?

Oct 16 06 03:55 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

FKVPhotoGraphics wrote:
Plenty of photography jobs....if you like photographing drooling, spitting, squealing kiddies at WalMart for mininum wage and be on your feet 10 hours a day.....

Other than that it's make your own way....like most of us here do.

Only two problems with those suggestions:

1) He won't ever get a work / residency visa for that; and

2) Unless he has big bucks and beaucoup industry references and tears he won't get a work / residency visa for self employment, either.

The only other suggestion, not mentioned, might be to arrive as a freelance photo[journalist] - but he won't get an I visa - without some very significant hoops being jumped through and the hardest will be the evidence of pre-published material. He will also generally have to have the support of a publication that may have to guarantee his financial solvency while in the US.

Studio36

Oct 16 06 03:58 pm Link

Photographer

Jon Roberts

studio36uk wrote:

Only two problems with those suggestions:

1) He won't ever get a work / residency visa for that; and

2) Unless he has big bucks and beaucoup industry references and tears he won't get a work / residency visa for self employment, either.

The only other suggestion, not mentioned, might be to arrive as a freelance photo[journalist] - but he won't get an I visa - without some very significant hoops being jumped through and the hardest will be the evidence of pre-published material. He will also generally have to have the support of a publication that may have to guarantee his financial solvency while in the US.

Studio36

thanks for your post.... I have evidence of pre-published material from the UK, but I agree that I'm going to need to secure something before I go out there, which makes life difficult!!

I wouldn't move unless I had a job to move into, so hopefully that would help with some of the visa issues....although I know it's still going to be a nightmare!

Oct 16 06 04:06 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Ellison

Phoenix, Arizona, US

What area are you planning to move to in the United States? 

If you moved somewhere like NY or LA, you should be able to find a job assisting to start you off.  I'm near the Chicago market and while there are assisting jobs available, I feel that they're not as plentiful as the two coastal regions would have. 

You may want to look at sites that are specific to photography to find out what's open.  While monster.com and similiar sites will have jobs open, most will be of the Wal-Mart Portrait Studio type openings and I don't think that's what your looking for.  Contact photographers and see what they have available.  If nothing's open, ask them if they know anyone that may need an assistant.  Someone suggested ASMP.org and I think that's a good start.  Also make friends with someone in those areas and have them scout for you.  The grapevine can work wonders if used properly.  Just use it to your advantage.

Good luck on your searching.

Oct 16 06 04:08 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Send me $200 and I'll print out a list of full-time, legit photography jobs available in the U.S. This one page document will be sent within 24 hours via Pre-Paid Freight through Nigeria. Oh wait...that's another forum thread.

Oct 16 06 04:10 pm Link

Photographer

Ivan Aps

Miami, Florida, US

Little bit of USA employment information for you.  If you want to work in the US, you will need an H1B sponsorship which is not cheap and the company has to sign a legal document stating that they tried as hard as they could to find a equally qualified American for the same job and could not find one.

After taking one look at the available photogs on MM, they will kick you out and fine the hell out of the company that sponsored you. smile

Better off finding something in the Euro Union.

Oct 16 06 04:13 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Jon Roberts wrote:
thanks for your post.... I have evidence of pre-published material from the UK, but I agree that I'm going to need to secure something before I go out there, which makes life difficult!!

I wouldn't move unless I had a job to move into, so hopefully that would help with some of the visa issues....although I know it's still going to be a nightmare!

Yes, we have looked as some of the very same problems here on MM for models in the past... and encountered most of the same stumbling blocks in the visa process. You may actually be the first photographer to ask... or at least the first that I can remember.

At least you have a degree in the photography speciality so that is far in advance of what most models could offer as evidence on a visa application.

Studio36

Oct 16 06 04:16 pm Link

Photographer

Jon Roberts

Apfel photography wrote:
Little bit of USA employment information for you.  If you want to work in the US, you will need an H1B sponsorship which is not cheap and the company has to sign a legal document stating that they tried as hard as they could to find a equally qualified American for the same job and could not find one.

After taking one look at the available photogs on MM, they will kick you out and fine the hell out of the company that sponsored you. smile

Better off finding something in the Euro Union.

wow that seems a little xenophobic, surely 1000's of people must do this every month, from what everyones saying here it seems almost impossible. The document saying about not being able to find an equally qualified American photographer..... well surely to get the job I would have to be better than the other applicants anyway... so wouldn't that sort that out?

Europe would be intersting, but not fluently speaking many languages is kind of limiting

Michael pandolfo wrote:
Send me $200 and I'll print out a list of full-time, legit photography jobs available in the U.S. This one page document will be sent within 24 hours via Pre-Paid Freight through Nigeria. Oh wait...that's another forum thread

hehe, maybe not!

Mark Ellison wrote:
What area are you planning to move to in the United States? 

If you moved somewhere like NY or LA, you should be able to find a job assisting to start you off.  I'm near the Chicago market and while there are assisting jobs available, I feel that they're not as plentiful as the two coastal regions would have. 

You may want to look at sites that are specific to photography to find out what's open.  While monster.com and similiar sites will have jobs open, most will be of the Wal-Mart Portrait Studio type openings and I don't think that's what your looking for.  Contact photographers and see what they have available.  If nothing's open, ask them if they know anyone that may need an assistant.  Someone suggested ASMP.org and I think that's a good start.  Also make friends with someone in those areas and have them scout for you.  The grapevine can work wonders if used properly.  Just use it to your advantage.

Good luck on your searching.

I'm not 100% certain which area I'm looking at yet, I need to do alot more research before that becomes definate, I was thinking of either LA or possibly Chicago. I have also heard that there is alot of work available in houston and dallas, but I'm not 100% sure if that's where I want to be (again more research needed)

The grapevine can work wonders..... but it's difficult to get on it from another country!

I'll be on the scavenge for more American friends in the very near future!!

thanks for the tips....keep them coming

Jon

Oct 16 06 04:18 pm Link

Photographer

duds here

Chicago, Illinois, US

Try south beach area in Florida Maimi are the chicks are hot and there are a lot of studios shooting there.  Go on line and look up photographers and photo studios and print the list and email your resume out.

Heck every actor from canada and England is working here, why not a photog.

And about visas etc. I hear from people who came from Russia as exchange students and just didn't go home.  So how do they find work? I don't know but they are working.

Oct 20 06 02:49 am Link

Photographer

John Van

Vienna, Wien, Austria

There might be ways to get in and work other than getting an H1B visa, which would be very hard to line up in your situation.

As mentioned, the I-visa for journalists is one option. If my memory is correct, you will need at least one letter from an established media outfit back home that you're their guy in the US and you will need a statement from your embassy in Washington telling the US authorities that the media outfit is legit. The visa is given for five years, so once you clear that hurdle, you're good for quite a while (though I don't think you can work in a real job for a US company).

There's also a visa category for artists. Not sure what you have to prove for that one, but it's worthwhile looking into it.

Good luck.

Oct 20 06 06:11 am Link