Forums > General Industry > press kits

Photographer

Alison Grohe

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

Hello! So i am producing my student fashion show and I am trying to get idea for press kits and how to do them etc., and my teacher recommended contacting designers and asking them for press kits.  Any suggestions?? Any websites anyone can direct me to?? Thanks so much!

Oct 16 06 12:06 pm Link

Photographer

John Van

Vienna, Wien, Austria

Are these real press kits and are you really expecting journalists?

If they are and if you are, then think about what a journalist would want to know and include images that a publication can use. The more informative (read: the quicker it gets to the point) and the easier to access, the higher the likelihood a journalist will actually use a press kit.

I don't have examples, because the dozens of press kits I have received over time, I've consistently thrown out after the story was done.

Oct 16 06 01:59 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

Three things I always notice in media kits.

1) Colorful banners, 8X10's, flyers and gimicky things like buttons or stickers.
2) Preformance times and dates with venue location and directions along with contact names and numbers.
3) Tear reviews from other publications and medias including pictures.

Good Luck!

Oct 16 06 02:07 pm Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

Having worked for a newpapers I can tell you press kits are a last resort filler if nothing else even a public service announcement isn't available......most see the round file the minute they come in.

Oct 16 06 02:54 pm Link

Photographer

Alison Grohe

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

JvR wrote:
Are these real press kits and are you really expecting journalists?

Yes! my teacher is calling in all her professional friends and business contacts so there will be professional journalists as well as photographers and designers at this event.  Its a student show technically but it feels like a professional show.

Oct 18 06 12:13 pm Link