Forums > General Industry > Suggestions for attire at a shoot

Model

Linda Hartley

Austin, Indiana, US

Ok, I have a shoot coming up and I'm seeking some suggestions on what others think I should wear?  For some reason I'm always struggling with ideas for dress.

I'm willing to go buy some outfits, but would like to see what others think my "style" should be?  Go ahead be honest - I'm strong..

Thanks in advance.

Oct 16 06 11:07 am Link

Photographer

CLT

Winchester, Virginia, US

LindaInReno wrote:
Ok, I have a shoot coming up and I'm seeking some suggestions on what others think I should wear?  For some reason I'm always struggling with ideas for dress.

I'm willing to go buy some outfits, but would like to see what others think my "style" should be?  Go ahead be honest - I'm strong..

Thanks in advance.

Shouldn't you discuss this with your photographer and stylist? I can tell you what NOT to wear... tight undergarments... they ruined so many of my otherwise favorite shots.

Oct 16 06 11:09 am Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

Boca del Mar, Florida, US

what did you and the photographer talk about shooting in?

Oct 16 06 11:10 am Link

Model

Linda Hartley

Austin, Indiana, US

CLT wrote:

Shouldn't you discuss this with your photographer and stylist? I can tell you what NOT to wear... tight undergarments... they ruined so many of my otherwise favorite shots.

Not in any great detail yet, but I wanted to come to the table with some ideas too.  And, lately I think after looking at some pics of others I am tending to venture off into styles not so appropiate for my age, etc.

Thanks for the reply smile

Oct 16 06 11:13 am Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

go vintage clothes shopping!

Oct 16 06 11:17 am Link

Photographer

CLT

Winchester, Virginia, US

LindaInReno wrote:
Not in any great detail yet, but I wanted to come to the table with some ideas too.  And, lately I think after looking at some pics of others I am tending to venture off into styles not so appropiate for my age, etc.

Thanks for the reply smile

If I were to shoot with you, I'd request black cocktail dress, or eveningwear. Classy/elegant jewelries.

Oct 16 06 11:18 am Link

Model

Linda Hartley

Austin, Indiana, US

~*Isabel Aurora*~ wrote:
what did you and the photographer talk about shooting in?

Hi:

We haven't talked in great detail yet, but I would like to know what I need to add to my portfolio that is flattering.

As I relied in another - it is easy to start wearing revealing clothes after seeing how well others photograph in such, but I'm have to be realistic and accept that it isn't the best style for me anymore.  So - keeping that in mind I'm trying to decide it I should suggest some new business suits I have just purchased, or stick with the more casual...like I said, I would like to make some suggestions as well when the photog and I start discussing this.

Thanks for replying

Oct 16 06 11:19 am Link

Model

Linda Hartley

Austin, Indiana, US

CLT wrote:

If I were to shoot with you, I'd request black cocktail dress, or eveningwear. Classy/elegant jewelries.

Thanks - think I'll pull those from the ole closet and see if they still fit.

Thanks - you guys are great to jump in and offer real advice.

Oct 16 06 11:22 am Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

LindaInReno wrote:

Hi:

We haven't talked in great detail yet, but I would like to know what I need to add to my portfolio that is flattering.

As I relied in another - it is easy to start wearing revealing clothes after seeing how well others photograph in such, but I'm have to be realistic and accept that it isn't the best style for me anymore.  So - keeping that in mind I'm trying to decide it I should suggest some new business suits I have just purchased, or stick with the more casual...like I said, I would like to make some suggestions as well when the photog and I start discussing this.

Thanks for replying

Do both. I finished a shot on Saturday and the model changed six times - we shot indoors and outdoors.  She was quick and professional. I, as usual, was quick!  Take several wardrobes and show him and you too choose. If he has certain backdrops he wants to use, me might suggest one color over another.

When we do business attire, we have a fake dinning table, white table clothe, and a single red rose and two candles on the table.  Looks great against a dark gray or black background.  It also looks like we're in a resturant without all the noisy cell phones and yapping yuppies wink

Cheers, Tim

Oct 16 06 11:27 am Link

Model

Linda Hartley

Austin, Indiana, US

Tim Baker wrote:

Do both. I finished a shot on Saturday and the model changed six times - we shot indoors and outdoors.  She was quick and professional. I, as usual, was quick!  Take several wardrobes and show him and you too choose. If he has certain backdrops he wants to use, me might suggest one color over another.

When we do business attire, we have a fake dinning table, white table clothe, and a single red rose and two candles on the table.  Looks great against a dark gray or black background.  It also looks like we're in a resturant without all the noisy cell phones and yapping yuppies wink

Cheers, Tim

Great point!

Thanks now I feel I have some direction to give when the photog and I talk next.

smile

Oct 16 06 11:36 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

I like goodyear all season radials

Oct 16 06 11:37 am Link

Model

Linda Hartley

Austin, Indiana, US

SLE Photography wrote:

Funny!!  I have a vision of just a head and feet poking out around tires.

Oct 16 06 11:38 am Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

You can never go wrong showing up to a shoot nude... big_smile

Oct 16 06 11:49 am Link

Photographer

AndrewG

Mesa, Arizona, US

LindaInReno wrote:

Thanks for replying

Depending on what you mean by "revealing clothes" you are being realistic. You are a very beautiful lady and should be more than happy that you can wear what you want. I have looked at your image here and on your MySpace profile.. you have nothing to worry about, you are attractive, classy, and yes.. very sexy.

I prefer to shoot with the mature women. And if you were closer I would be asking you to be in front of my cameras. You need to decide what types of images you want in your "book". What limits you have for yourself. Be it no nudes or lingerie, or that you want to do pinup/glam or even retro.. you have to decide.. then pick out outfits that fit you. When I say fit, I dont mean the sizes.. I mean that fit you.. your style, your personality, your image of you.

Business suits, evening wear, slit skirts.. what ever you decide. I am sure that you will look great in any of these outfits. and you do look good in the casual western look as well as the swim suit images you have.

Best of luck to you..

Andrew

Oct 16 06 11:54 am Link

Model

Linda Hartley

Austin, Indiana, US

C R Photography wrote:
You can never go wrong showing up to a shoot nude... big_smile

Says you....I'm scare I might send people running, cept' for that friendly police officer who wants to dress you in handcuffs for showing your birthday suit in a public location.

smile

Oct 16 06 11:55 am Link

Model

Linda Hartley

Austin, Indiana, US

AndrewG wrote:

Depending on what you mean by "revealing clothes" you are being realistic. You are a very beautiful lady and should be more than happy that you can wear what you want. I have looked at your image here and on your MySpace profile.. you have nothing to worry about, you are attractive, classy, and yes.. very sexy.

I prefer to shoot with the mature women. And if you were closer I would be asking you to be in front of my cameras. You need to decide what types of images you want in your "book". What limits you have for yourself. Be it no nudes or lingerie, or that you want to do pinup/glam or even retro.. you have to decide.. then pick out outfits that fit you. When I say fit, I dont mean the sizes.. I mean that fit you.. your style, your personality, your image of you.

Business suits, evening wear, slit skirts.. what ever you decide. I am sure that you will look great in any of these outfits. and you do look good in the casual western look as well as the swim suit images you have.

Best of luck to you..

Andrew

How very flattering - Thank You!

I hope I've made some selections that will give me a variety in some upcoming shoots.  I want to pull together enough varity that I can call my portfolio "complete enough" (for now) to visit a local agency.  I've been putting that off until I had some  photos to represent myself.  So hopefully with these next few shoots I'll feel like I know "my style" more - just kinda feel like I'm floundering in that decision right now.

Oct 16 06 06:13 pm Link

Photographer

g2-new photographics

Boston, Massachusetts, US

What I suggest for a shoot where we're just having a good time making great photographs is that the model bring a couple of outfits that she's totally comfortable with, a couple that she knows make her look great, a couple that she'd fantasized a little about, and a couple that might push the edge a bit.  The secret to virtually any photosession is that both the model and the photographer are totally comfortable with themselves and each other.  On the other hand, though, for non-professionals especially, there is no better situation for exploring things you might always have wanted to explore. 

The catch is knowing where to draw the line.

(Also - as a couple of other people have noted - it's important to work this out with the photographer beforehand so that there will be no surprises.  You both should have agreed on both the objectives and the limits of the shoot.)

Oct 16 06 06:21 pm Link

Photographer

Vivus Hussein Denuo

New York, New York, US

SLE Photography wrote:

Dammit, you beat me to that.

Oct 16 06 06:29 pm Link

Photographer

AndrewG

Mesa, Arizona, US

LindaInReno wrote:

How very flattering - Thank You!

I hope I've made some selections that will give me a variety in some upcoming shoots.  I want to pull together enough varity that I can call my portfolio "complete enough" (for now) to visit a local agency.  I've been putting that off until I had some  photos to represent myself.  So hopefully with these next few shoots I'll feel like I know "my style" more - just kinda feel like I'm floundering in that decision right now.

You are very welcome.. you are a very beautiful woman..

Good luck, I will watch for new images of you.

Oct 16 06 08:17 pm Link

Model

CrazyRussianHelicopter

Madison, Alabama, US

Anyone has any suggestions what I should have for dinner?

Oct 16 06 08:23 pm Link