Forums > General Industry > Self-Promotion

Model

JacquiB

Brisbane, California, US

Hi all, I'm a newbie around here. I was wondering whether many of you don't use an agency and promote yourselves. If so, what methods or websites do you use?
Cheers,
Jacqui

Oct 16 06 03:52 am Link

Model

Kassandra

Coram, New York, US

Depends on how your trying to market yourself.

I try and litter my img on every little port hosting site out there..and if there are crap sites like myspace.com that i have to be on,the page is shamelessly shoving my skills down ppls throats.Hard to miss.Even on my livejournal userinfo. I carry shiny cards in small and postcard size in my purse which i occatioanl drop in the bathrooms(girls n boys! dont ask! im a ninja!) I write up template emails for magazines n clothing merchants and mass send them out every couple months *think* And..im genraly unsucsful and not known. LOL!

Oct 16 06 03:55 am Link

Photographer

Mann Made Imagery

Lubbock, Texas, US

you 1stly need to be dedicated and have a lot of time to do this if you are serious about it.  use any modeling network site that you can.  also, if you want to go a little further, go ahead and get your own webspace. smile  i model too and i use MM, OMP, and since I'm in TX I use Texas Model Connection.

edit: well, poop, texas model connection isn't up anymore sad

Oct 16 06 03:56 am Link

Model

JacquiB

Brisbane, California, US

Thanks for the replies. I've just discovered MM and OMP. Are there any other good ones around? Is myspace any good?

Oct 16 06 04:02 am Link

Photographer

Mann Made Imagery

Lubbock, Texas, US

JacquiB wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I've just discovered MM and OMP. Are there any other good ones around?

there's solomodels.com it's another good one. smile

Oct 16 06 04:05 am Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

JacquiB wrote:
Is [modeling site] any good?

helps to know what you're after so that you can hone in on a specific target; marketing strategy ...

FML

Oct 16 06 04:07 am Link

Photographer

Art Schotz

Lima, Ohio, US

I'm in Ohio and I think the market here is a little different than in major market areas.

From a photog's point of view, searching the MM casting calls, you'll see that not too many of the ones in Ohio get any response.  Direct mail, through MM and any other site, seems to get about the same reponse.

I'm tyhinking that if you repsnd to people that express interest in you, whether you want to work with them or not, you'll get a reputation as being professional and responsive to work opportuities.  That's a good thing.

One other thing we do here in NW Ohio is to host group shoots frequently. Attending those gets yor face in front of more phtogs and models.  It's a great opportunity to network and get a few pics from bunches of photogs.  Not all of them are hacks.

And that's my 2 centavos!  Good luck.

Oct 16 06 04:29 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Kassandra wrote:
Depends on how your trying to market yourself.

I try and litter my img on every little port hosting site out there..and if there are crap sites like myspace.com that i have to be on,the page is shamelessly shoving my skills down ppls throats.Hard to miss.Even on my livejournal userinfo. I carry shiny cards in small and postcard size in my purse which i occatioanl drop in the bathrooms(girls n boys! dont ask! im a ninja!) I write up template emails for magazines n clothing merchants and mass send them out every couple months *think* And..im genraly unsucsful and not known. LOL!

For internet marketing, especially if you want to get found when someone looks for you, listen to Kassandra...she knows what she's doing.  Seriously.

Also, if you're in a niche field, being active--or at least posting occasionally--in forums related to that can help, as can almost anything that will get picked up by the search engines.

I can't recall just how many times I'd find her name showing up when I did searches for various clothes, props, and such, or even definitions (I'd never heard of erololi before, and when someone mentioned it a week ago I googled it--and Kassandra's name showed up on the second site listed.) Wishlist items on public services, and such can also increase visibility. (While I'd like to shoot with her, I'm not stalking her; she's simply been very effective at getting her name out.)

Whether that's useful to you is a different issue...

Oct 16 06 05:27 am Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

Kassandra, you are seriously advanced in your ambitions. Congratulations.

You will be  successful and known in a few minutes more. There is absolutely no doubt about that.

Oct 16 06 08:53 am Link

Model

Kassandra

Coram, New York, US

Aw well that brightend my morning to read *paws at her eyes*

As for promotion like i siad: shove yourself up everyones whoha. The more your around the more people see you.Granted, more ppl can hate you but it also gives the oportunity for more ppl to enjoy your work . If no one knows you exist they cant formulate an opinion.And, heck,even if htey DONT like your work if your out there so much least your getting a name for yourself to edit alter,and later on impress people with for when your work shapes itself

Oct 16 06 11:19 am Link

Photographer

RickHorowitzPhotography

Fresno, California, US

Kassandra wrote:
Aw well that brightend my morning to read *paws at her eyes*

As for promotion like i siad: shove yourself up everyones whoha. The more your around the more people see you.Granted, more ppl can hate you but it also gives the oportunity for more ppl to enjoy your work . If no one knows you exist they cant formulate an opinion.And, heck,even if htey DONT like your work if your out there so much least your getting a name for yourself to edit alter,and later on impress people with for when your work shapes itself

I really don't see how anyone can hate you.  The more you're around, the more I like you.  I just wish you were around me! 

I would absolutely love to shoot someone with your look -- especially those glasses! 

-- rick

Oct 16 06 11:22 am Link