Forums > General Industry > I think they make drugs for this.

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

My camera bag. Everything has to be in it's own space. Like my batteries all have their own pocket, my CF cards have a home, my flash units and accessories, my portable CD burner. All down to my step-up/down adapters and hot-shoe adapters and cable release thingamabob and cleaning accessories.

My desk is the same way. Pencils in one container, pens in another, sharpies and felt pens in another. Envelopes over here, stamps over there, blank CD's up there.

I get really agitated when everything is not in it's home. It's hard for me to concentrate when things are out of place. I know that models get really irritated that after a location shoot I don't just stuff everything in the bag and go.

Am I insane?

Oct 14 06 05:00 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Kirst

Los Angeles, California, US

It's called being organized and neat. Although you may be a bit insane. smile

Oct 14 06 05:01 pm Link

Model

Kaleidoscope Eyes

Guelph, Ontario, Canada

It's called mild OCD.  (Obsessive compulsive disorder)

As long as it's not making it impossible for you to function normally, it can actually be a good thing.

Oct 14 06 05:05 pm Link

Photographer

none of the above

Marina del Rey, California, US

i shop for my underwear at k-mart.  yes, ki-mart.  judge woppner is at 3. i always watch judge woppner and eat my pancakes with toothpicks.

--face reality

Oct 14 06 05:09 pm Link

Photographer

photosbydmp

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

monk?

Oct 14 06 05:09 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Kirst

John Jebbia wrote:
My camera bag. Everything has to be in it's own space. Like my batteries all have their own pocket, my CF cards have a home, my flash units and accessories, my portable CD burner. All down to my step-up/down adapters and hot-shoe adapters and cable release thingamabob and cleaning accessories.

My desk is the same way. Pencils in one container, pens in another, sharpies and felt pens in another. Envelopes over here, stamps over there, blank CD's up there.

I get really agitated when everything is not in it's home. It's hard for me to concentrate when things are out of place. I know that models get really irritated that after a location shoot I don't just stuff everything in the bag and go.

Am I insane?

Are all those pencils the same length?

Oct 14 06 05:11 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

monkey

Oct 14 06 05:12 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Michael Kirst wrote:
Are all those pencils the same length?

No. I'm not that bad. But if a pen gets in there I feel like going postal sometimes. But they are all #2's

Oct 14 06 05:13 pm Link

Photographer

CLT

Winchester, Virginia, US

John Jebbia wrote:
Pencils in one container, pens in another, sharpies and felt pens in another.

Writing end up or down?

Oct 14 06 05:28 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

CLT wrote:
Writing end up or down?

Pencils down. Clicker pens down. Pens and felt tips with a cap up.

Oct 14 06 05:29 pm Link

Photographer

CLT

Winchester, Virginia, US

John Jebbia wrote:
Pencils down. Clicker pens down. Pens and felt tips with a cap up.

Exactly like mine.

Oct 14 06 05:39 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

I just think you're organized. I'm not nearly as organized as you, but I do tend to do things in certain ways. And my camera bag is set up sort of like yours -- I have a place for everything and everything needs to be in it's place. And this is a very good thing, at least for me, because then when I leave a location I know I have everything. It'd be far to easy to leave something behind if I just stuffed everything in and left. And besides that, if I tried to just stuff everything into my bag it wouldn't fit -- it needs to be put away so it fits.

So no, you don't need meds. And I'll bet you don't lose anything either!

-P-

Oct 14 06 05:43 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Pat Thielen wrote:
I just think you're organized. I'm not nearly as organized as you, but I do tend to do things in certain ways. And my camera bag is set up sort of like yours -- I have a place for everything and everything needs to be in it's place. And this is a very good thing, at least for me, because then when I leave a location I know I have everything. It'd be far to easy to leave something behind if I just stuffed everything in and left. And besides that, if I tried to just stuff everything into my bag it wouldn't fit -- it needs to be put away so it fits.

So no, you don't need meds. And I'll bet you don't lose anything either!

-P-

Well, I did one time leave my reflector bag hanging on a post in Jerome, Az. once. I have no idea how I managed to put the reflector in the car and not realize I didn't have it in the bag. On the plus side, I have two of the same reflectors. And 2 Photoflexes fit nicely into the same bag.. It's snug, but it works.

Oct 14 06 05:51 pm Link

Photographer

Le Beck Photography

Kaleidoscope Eyes wrote:
It's called mild OCD.  (Obsessive compulsive disorder)

As long as it's not making it impossible for you to function normally, it can actually be a good thing.

Aren't all great artists obsessed?

Oct 14 06 05:52 pm Link

Photographer

WBV Artography

San Antonio, Texas, US

Hell, I wissh *I* was that organized.

"Can you write this down?"

'No-I have no idea where a pen is  Or paper for that matter-wait and I'll use my pocket knife to scratch it into the desktop...'
"Ready for some sugar baby?"

'Been ready but let me spend an hour looking for those pills I need...'

Two hours looking for my hearing aid the other morning.

Hour looking for fishfood.

Matches?  Sure-got a CASE around here somewhere-give me a couple hours to figure out which box they are in...

Found out the closest I can get to organized is clothes in one box.

Paper stuff in one box.

Photos in six boxes plus the misc one that get spread out.

Heck-I'm missing a box of DVD's I saw last week and the dog didn't eat ;em.   big_smile

I am the epitomy of disorganized-I should be in Guiness...
'

Oct 14 06 05:58 pm Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

My camera bag is extremely organized for two reasons. First of all, it has to be, or all my stuff won't fit. I spent a half-hour the other day reconfiguring it so I could keep a lens on both bodies and I felt like I'd just built a working moon rocket. smile Secondly, I want to be able to lay my hands on precisely the thing I want in as little time as humanly possible when I reach into it, and I don't want to have to even use my eyes to find it. To make that possible, the bag has to be organized and stay that way.

Everything else in my life, with the exception of my toolboxes and for exactly the same reasons, is a huge disorganized mess. I can usually find what I want in my office without much trouble, but it's just piles of stuff everywhere.

Make of that what you will.

M

Oct 14 06 11:18 pm Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

I have a backpack and 2 shoulder bags. Usually I'll take only 1 shoulder bag with me on a shoot, so I pack accordingly. When I get back, the first thing I do is put everything back where it goes. I haven't changed how I organize my bags in almost a year.

Oct 15 06 12:47 am Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

The words are usually "organized" or "efficient".

OCD is considered clinical when it becomes disruptive of your ordinary life. Extream forms make normal life impossible. Mild forms can be an asset. And yes, they now have very effective drugs for the clinical manifestations of it.

Oct 15 06 11:58 am Link

Photographer

John Van

Vienna, Wien, Austria

I wish I was more organized, but I'm not.

I have my cameras and lenses lying around in different parts of the house and in different bags and put the stuff I need in one bag before I go on a shoot. There's a pretty big difference between what I take for a model shoot and what I take for a landscape shoot or for just snapshots, so I guess there's some sense in my disorganization. Then again, maybe not...

Oct 15 06 01:06 pm Link

Photographer

Caspers Creations

Kansas City, Missouri, US

John Jebbia wrote:
Am I insane?

YEP.

Oct 15 06 01:11 pm Link

Photographer

Vegas Alien

Armington, Illinois, US

I understand.  Do you also have to tap your fingers evenly like I do?

Oct 15 06 03:26 pm Link

Model

Christine

Yea OCD!  I have that too with other things.

Oct 16 06 01:29 am Link

Photographer

JM Dean

Cary, North Carolina, US

If you get a chance come over to my house. It needs organizing smile

Oct 16 06 01:36 am Link

Photographer

albertaphotog

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

You are probably less apt to forget something, like the foot for your tripod or a CF card etc. I throw everything together and have forgotten items I need. I'm trying to learn to be more careful but I am an old dog so to speak.

Oct 16 06 01:38 am Link

Photographer

GDS Photos

London, England, United Kingdom

I have bits of equipment all over and cannot find half my shoots bcause they are somwhere else on my computer.  I constatntly lose things like lense caps and wallets and even a passport wile in transit at an airport.

BUT and believ me you should do this too.  All adjustments in photoshop have to be divisible by 3.  You knew that though didn't you.

Oct 16 06 02:02 am Link

Photographer

Brandon Ching

Brooklyn, New York, US

Leonard Gee Photography wrote:
And yes, they now have very effective drugs for the clinical manifestations of it.

I'd hate to be given those drugs... what do they do? Make you lazy or not give a crap? I'd probably turn into a vegetable.

Oct 16 06 02:15 am Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Leonard Gee Photography wrote:
And yes, they now have very effective drugs for the clinical manifestations of it.

Brandon Ching wrote:
I'd hate to be given those drugs... what do they do? Make you lazy or not give a crap? I'd probably turn into a vegetable.

Clinical OCD they've discovered, is a chemical problem with the brain. It makes the person very nervous if they don't do their specific OCD behavior - washing hands over and over, pulling hair out, doing something a certain way.

The new medicine relieves the nervous feelings and attempts to fool the brain into thinking the chemicals are back in balance. The current research is to actually correct the chemical imbalance. It is gene linked.

Oct 16 06 11:54 am Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

Aren't we all a nice bunch of control freaks. I need to have my space organized or I feel insane, and I have rituals, but I am not so OCD. My main problem is bipolarity, which is much more unpredictable. They give you better and more hardcore drugs though.

Oct 16 06 01:30 pm Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Lapis wrote:
My main problem is bipolarity, which is much more unpredictable. They give you better and more hardcore drugs though.

Hope the swings aren't too extreme. That's a real tough one and lithium isn't a simple drug. Even the newer drugs sometimes work and sometimes don't.

Oct 16 06 05:06 pm Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

John Jebbia wrote:

Am I insane?

Nope just anal.

Oct 16 06 05:10 pm Link