Forums > General Industry > Spencer Tunick

Model

e-string

Kansas City, Missouri, US

I never see mention of him around here. Who likes him? I do! And not just the huge group nudes, I think he has some lovely, very touching and/or interesting images of just one or two people in the "Naked States" collection he did.

Oct 14 06 02:14 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

e-string wrote:
I never see mention of him around here. Who likes him? I do! And not just the huge group nudes, I think he has some lovely, very touching and/or interesting images of just one or two people in the "Naked States" collection he did.

Strange.  There's another thread about him that just popped up a few days ago.  I hadn't known that he's on the site as a member.

Oct 14 06 02:15 pm Link

Model

e-string

KM von Seidl wrote:

Strange.  There's another thread about him that just popped up a few days ago.  I hadn't known that he's on the site as a member.

Wow, I had no idea he was on here. lol

I don't even know why he popped into my head just now. tongue

Oct 14 06 02:17 pm Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

that was a wonderful project, well handled, and beautifully shot.
also well constructed to garner attention.
hats off

Oct 14 06 02:19 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

e-string wrote:

Wow, I had no idea he was on here. lol

I don't even know why he popped into my head just now. tongue

I loved the hbo doc naked states.  really an inspiration.

Oct 14 06 02:29 pm Link

Model

e-string

KM von Seidl wrote:

I loved the hbo doc naked states.  really an inspiration.

I did the search and found him. smile  Also found the other thread. Strange that it was so recent!

Yeah, the documentary is mostly how I'm familiar with him. Good stuff.

Oct 14 06 02:32 pm Link

Photographer

John Van

Vienna, Wien, Austria

I like the uproar he causes and the idea of shooting nude crowds in public places. Don't think much of the results, though.

Oct 14 06 02:45 pm Link

Photographer

timothy dolph creative

Encinitas, California, US

Yawn...

Oct 14 06 04:40 pm Link

Model

e-string

timothy dolph wrote:
Yawn...

What a wonderfully intelligent contribution.

Oct 14 06 04:44 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

e-string wrote:

What a wonderfully intelligent contribution.

I don't think, without me trolling the thread, that you'll get a huge discussion out of MM re: Spencer Tunick's work, in part because his work isn't about glamour, fetish, boobie "art" or beautiful people per se.

Oct 14 06 05:52 pm Link

Photographer

LumiereSauvage

Los Angeles, California, US

Certainly a lot of fun! - performance art par excellence

Oct 14 06 08:59 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

JvR wrote:
I like the uproar he causes and the idea of shooting nude crowds in public places. Don't think much of the results, though.

Ditto. His contribution to first ammendment law is interesting. The actual work he produces, not so much.

Oct 15 06 07:29 am Link

Photographer

byReno

Arlington Heights, Illinois, US

I am a fan of his work.  Most of it is so-so but a number or his group shots are well done.  The logistics of setting this up alone amazes me.

Oct 15 06 05:42 pm Link

Photographer

Eros Artist Photography

Green Cove Springs, Florida, US

JvR wrote:

I have to agree. The earlier work from "Naked States" was much more interesting.

Oct 15 06 05:47 pm Link

Photographer

Chad Alan

Apple Valley, California, US

e-string wrote:

I love Spencer Tunick!  He's one of my favorites.  Even though I, personally, shoot models, I really like that he doesn't use 'models' for his shots.  There are a couple shots that are really great to me from the Naked States series.  I like the river at burning man,  which is a group shot, but there is also a shot of an older man in a tree that I think is fantastic as well as a shot with two women and a flag.  These two shots in particular are great because the people are real.  More averagely shaped and even, in some cases, naturally shy people.

The Nude World series is also really fantastic.  The shots from Russia are fantasic.  And there is a shot of his girlfriend in Antarctica that I think is very beautiful.  I think that what particularly draws me to his individual shots is the beauty in simplicity. 

Tunick gets a lot of crap press saying that he's got no vision, or that he's using nudity purely for shock.  That the many times he been locked up for his work is nothing more than publicity stunts.  For those people, I say, curl up to a collection of  his work, ignore everything you've heard and just look.

Oct 15 06 06:03 pm Link