Forums > General Industry > Are you guilty....

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

of poor judgment when selecting models to work with. Do you see their likeness in a folio and say to yourself, "I can't work with this dog", and then two weeks later a photographer that you respect has posted new pictures with that "dog" model center stage and they are so awesome and that "dog" model is so different looking you wonder why you didn't see it too.

What do you do about it?

Oct 14 06 09:56 am Link

Model

msindpnt1

New York, New York, US

Dang...Are you guilty?

Oct 14 06 10:00 am Link

Model

Mz Machina

Chicago, Illinois, US

think about it some more and then  send a letter to the model telling her how busy you have been and you have time to shoot her if she'd like ....

Oct 14 06 10:02 am Link

Photographer

BlackWatch

Cleveland, Ohio, US

It's fun to look at someone and see their potential. Many people just haven't had a decent picture taken of them yet. It's fun to blow someones mind with a great picture!

Oct 14 06 10:03 am Link

Photographer

BlackWatch

Cleveland, Ohio, US

P.S. You snooze...you lose...

Oct 14 06 10:04 am Link

Model

ang m

Chicago, Illinois, US

Meet with the model (if possible) then decide.

Oct 14 06 10:06 am Link

Photographer

Gibson Photo Art

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Guilty. I had a model come into town for our last MnG that I thought was not attractive at all from her portfolio. She does a lot of creative work in the area. When I met her she was quite stunning. On top of it I completely bombed when talking to her, due to issues with my family that have been weighing on my mind.

She was also quite intellegent, funny, strong and really a good person. I'm such an idiot...

Aaron

Oct 14 06 10:06 am Link

Photographer

GDS Photos

London, England, United Kingdom

Oh no a mind reader ruuuuuun.

I am also guilty of selecing a model based on a great picture by a photographer of superior talent and then having to make the best of it when the model shows up.  I suppose the great photographers don't have this problem :-(

Oct 14 06 10:10 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

CareLyn Anita wrote:
think about it some more and then  send a letter to the model telling her how busy you have been and you have time to shoot her if she'd like ....

I wasn't referring to you!

Oct 14 06 10:10 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Ma-Shyrra wrote:
Dang...Are you guilty?

Of course, I'm talking about myself. I didn't use the word 'Dog". It was a person that I didn't think could pull off an emotive portrait so I passed on him/her. I saw the same person in another shooters folio and about lost my teeth. Pissed me off so much I bit myself on the arm and drew blood. I'm supposed to be able to see and I can't sometimes.

Oct 14 06 10:13 am Link

Model

Mz Machina

Chicago, Illinois, US

Too much light makes the baby go blind...

I am only posting here because i was born with a guilty conscience so i am thinking i must be....

it say are you guilty , my anwser is always "Yes ....But....."

This I am not guilty of though....

Oct 14 06 10:17 am Link

Photographer

ShadowCrafter

Pike Road, Alabama, US

Bob Randall Photography wrote:
of poor judgment when selecting models to work with. Do you see their likeness in a folio and say to yourself, "I can't work with this dog", and then two weeks later a photographer that you respect has posted new pictures with that "dog" model center stage and they are so awesome and that "dog" model is so different looking you wonder why you didn't see it too.

What do you do about it?

You DOG. 

I wish I could help you,  but ,  some things come with experience.
(just teasing)

Oct 14 06 10:18 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

CareLyn Anita wrote:
Too much light makes the baby go blind...

I am only posting here because i was born with a guilty conscience so i am thinking i must be....

it say are you guilty , my anwser is always "Yes ....But....."

This I am not guilty of though....

Since we have talked of a shoot, I thought you were thinking I was thinking that you were thinking I was thinking of you.

Oct 14 06 10:20 am Link

Model

Mz Machina

Chicago, Illinois, US

No,I am pathetically insomnia ridden today and I think you are a funny guy so I pester your forum posts until I get tired and want to sleep ,  I don't think it's me Bob... smile :::Laughing::::

I mean I really have no place in the "Large Breasts Ahead" forum now do I???

Oct 14 06 10:25 am Link

Photographer

Frank McAdam

New York, New York, US

I ALWAYS try to meet with a model before scheduling a shoot, and I always ask her to bring her portfolio along.  While making conversation, I watch the model's face from different angles to try to visualize how she would look in my own photographs.  After 30 years doing this, I can get a pretty good idea after 10 minutes how well a given model would work with my own style.  Although there may always, of course, be a model I miss out on because she has such terrible, non-representative photos in her MM or OMP port that I don't contact her in the first place, I still have plenty of models to work with who look great with my style of photography.  One thing to remember -- when meeting with the model, don't allow yourself to be swayed by her personality (unless she's nasty and full of attitudes, in which case, just get away as fast as you can).  Instead, just try to concentrate on how she looks rather than how she sounds.  There are many very cool models I've met who are fun people and have great personality but with whom I did not schedule a shoot because their looks didn't fit my style.

Oct 14 06 10:29 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Frank McAdam wrote:
I ALWAYS try to meet with a model before scheduling a shoot, and I always ask her to bring her portfolio along.  While making conversation, I watch the model's face from different angles to try to visualize how she would look in my own photographs.  After 30 years doing this, I can get a pretty good idea after 10 minutes how well a given model would work with my own style.  Although there may always, of course, be a model I miss out on because she has such terrible, non-representative photos in her MM or OMP port that I don't contact her in the first place, I still have plenty of models to work with who look great with my style of photography.  One thing to remember -- when meeting with the model, don't allow yourself to be swayed by her personality (unless she's nasty and full of attitudes, in which case, just get away as fast as you can).  Instead, just try to concentrate on how she looks rather than how she sounds.  There are many very cool models I've met who are fun people and have great personality but with whom I did not schedule a shoot because their looks didn't fit my style.

I think for you this works. I think for me it represents the problem to a focal point.

What if that outrageous bitch, while being a bitch, is just perfect for you. What if you couldn't see it in her folio, online or paper. What if that other photographer did see it and exploited the piss out of that bitchy look and got shots you only dream of but can't do because you miss seeing the potential in everyone.

Oct 14 06 01:37 pm Link

Model

Jana Brazilian

Newark, New Jersey, US

That is what Biz Markie was talkin bout when he said "They caught the vapors"

Oct 14 06 01:47 pm Link

Photographer

Allure by LH Taylor

Austin, Texas, US

Actually, my situation is the opposite.  I've agreed to work with models I thought *might* work out okay, and it turns out to be one of my better shoots.  Sometimes, the relationship just serendipitously happens, and you get a superb shoot out of it.

I still say "be selective", but be prepared to be amazed when you "take a chance" on a model and it turns out to be the best thing since an 8Gb flash card.

Oct 14 06 01:47 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Jana Brazilian wrote:
That is what Biz Markie was talkin bout when he said "They caught the vapors"

What?

Oct 14 06 01:49 pm Link

Photographer

Frank McAdam

New York, New York, US

I think for you this works. I think for me it represents the problem to a focal point.

What if that outrageous bitch, while being a bitch, is just perfect for you. What if you couldn't see it in her folio, online or paper. What if that other photographer did see it and exploited the piss out of that bitchy look and got shots you only dream of but can't do because you miss seeing the potential in everyone.

Believe it or not, Bob, I'd pass.  Dedicated as I am to photography, there's no way I'm going to put up with attitudes and nasty behavior from any model.  I don't care how much she's willing to pay or how great a photo I could get shooting her, it just isn't worth it to me.  I'll show her the door every time.  If nothing else, it's a question of self-respect.  I try to be polite and professional with every model I work with, and I don't think it's too much to expect the same in return.  Let some other photographer shoot her and get a great photograph.  Surely, there are enough models in NYC (Chicago in your case) who are attractive and fun to work with that we can get our best work done without having to put up with warped personalities. 

Incidentally, and perhaps it's just coincidence, but I always found it's the most beautiful women who have the least attitudes and who are the most professional to work with.

Oct 14 06 01:55 pm Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

at most, i will make sure the model passed on gets a go see for the next applicable casting to see if there's just no magic there for me or not. if not, i also might well take note of the photographer who was able to wow me with a model who did not and refer similar talent to him/her.

the fear of missing something special (and the 300000 gigs of crap acquired chasing that) is far more problematic than the courage to go with your instincts.

Oct 14 06 02:07 pm Link

Photographer

Sockpuppet Studios

San Francisco, California, US

Bah, that is why there is tomorrow,
Hell right now I'll shoot anybody who you put in front of me, as long as they show up, are on time, and don't spend the whole shoot hitting on my and convincing me they are also a photographer...

Oct 14 06 04:13 pm Link

Photographer

Malameel

Dallas, Texas, US

I have not necessarily seen it that way, but I have seen a pot and said "ther is not information there for me to decide if I can work with that model."

Eventually their port gets up dated and if I see it agian and and want to shoot, then yes I will see what I can do.

Usually it is the other way around, the port shows a much more interesting model and then that person shows up and the first thing you realize is that person should come with a free copy of photoshop, even after a MUA has taken a long sigh.

Damn liquify tool...

Oct 14 06 04:18 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

What do you do about it?

I dont think you're wrong....if she hasnt taken a good photo there is a reason. it might be her it might be the photographer, it might be the team....I personally would wait and let her prove she can get a good shot with someone before taking my chances but then thats a catch 22 for the model, not really fair but then I'm not into risk with time right now and making life fair for everyone isnt my job.  If you have time to chance it....take the chance, if not wait until you see for sure she can take a good shot before shooting her.

Some people are gamblers, some people arent, just be prepared to lose if you shoot with someone that never taken a decent shot.   I have shot with some very beautiful women that cant get a good shot after a full day of shooting, its like pulling teeth but more painful.

I do understand that now you know she can take a good shot....so work with her now. smile

Oct 14 06 04:57 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Mary wrote:
I do understand that now you know she can take a good shot....so work with her now. smile

That's just it, Now I know. Why didn't I know before now. I hate all this thinking shit!

Oct 14 06 05:00 pm Link

Photographer

Billy Monday

Frederick, Maryland, US

MalameelPhotography wrote:
Usually it is the other way around, the port shows a much more interesting model and then that person shows up and the first thing you realize is that person should come with a free copy of photoshop, even after a MUA has taken a long sigh.

I read these forums just to see quotes like this.  The next time I have a shoot with a model like that, I'll be chuckling to myself, thinking, "this girl should come with a free copy of photoshop".

LOL

Oct 14 06 05:04 pm Link

Photographer

Benjamen McGuire

Portland, Oregon, US

guilty

Oct 14 06 09:18 pm Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

Someone's conscience has caught up with them....lol

Oct 14 06 09:20 pm Link

Photographer

Art Richards Creatives

Bogo, Central Visayas, Philippines

I usually ask who did her photoshop work on the second set.

Oct 14 06 09:23 pm Link

Photographer

500 Gigs of Desire

New York, New York, US

Visions vary, as will the final product.
But I can relate.

Oct 14 06 09:35 pm Link

Model

Wellman

Columbus, Ohio, US

Oct 14 06 09:42 pm Link

Photographer

CW Sr

Columbus, Ohio, US

haha oops forgot I was signed in with my model port when I posted that comment. this is what I said. -- I'm that photog taking the models not too many people choose to and posting their phenominal work. Sometimes it may present a challenge if the model isn't too easy on the eyes however I trust what I'm capable of with my camera and I create the magic.

Corey Wellman

Oct 14 06 09:44 pm Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

I think we've all been guilty of that at times.

Sometimes you work w/ them & you end up making them looking like a million bucks. Sometimes after work w/ them you end up asking yourself, "What the hell was I thinking?"

Oct 14 06 10:16 pm Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

No, that never happens to me.

Because while I am fully aware that I am far, FAR from the best of photographers, I honestly do believe that every woman has something in her that a photograph can make compelling. My ego trip is not that my pictures are the best but that I rarely get skunked - I can make a good, if not great, photograph of ANYBODY, under almost any circumstances.

So I have, very occasionally, turned down shoots with models because they themselves didn't interest me for some reason - which usually has nothing to do with their looks. But I've never turned one down on the basis that somebody else's photographs didn't make her look worth shooting.

M

Oct 14 06 11:13 pm Link

Model

JazzyBelle

Greenville, South Carolina, US

What do you do about it?

this is an interesting thread...I guess, from my point of view...just like some models are inexperienced, some photographers are inexperienced and maybe that model wasn't captured in the best light by that photographer and may not have posted the best pictures to display her actual likeness...don't feel guilty.....you were going by what you saw...and now that you have evidence that this model has more potential...go for it...see what kind of work you can do with the model...believe me...I've taken different work of each photographer that I have worked with and compared it...and although some of them have excellent work.....they are each still very different...and in the same sense...there are others I have worked with and they just absolutely suck...It's not a mistake or anything to feel guilty about...you made a judgement on what was in front of you...

Oct 14 06 11:20 pm Link

Model

JazzyBelle

Greenville, South Carolina, US

gdsandy wrote:
Oh no a mind reader ruuuuuun.

I am also guilty of selecing a model based on a great picture by a photographer of superior talent and then having to make the best of it when the model shows up.  I suppose the great photographers don't have this problem :-(

People see different things and different potential...one focal point and idea of beauty may lie in eyes...where as another photographer may focus on things like facial structure...etc, so it all goes back to the cliche' that BEAUTY LIES IN THE EYE OF THE BEHOLDER...you may just capture and focus on an image or model from a different point of view...

Oct 14 06 11:25 pm Link