Forums > General Industry > Do any of you shoot freelance for the media?

Photographer

NovoCain

Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada

For anyone who has sold their photos to the newspapers or other media outlets on a freelance basis, I have a question for you..

If you submit low rez, low quality photos to a large daily newspaper asking if there's interest (assuming that if there is, they'll ask for larger, high res images to send to the photo desk) and you never hear back, BUT, the next day your photos are on page 2, in color, with appropriate photo credits - what do you do?

As of writing this, I haven't been contacted by the paper, and I know they don't have my mailing address, so I know there's no "cheque in the mail".. I'm not about to start rocking the boat and pissing anyone off in case it was an oversight.. Just curious if there's any freelancers that have been in a similar spot?

Thanks, and happy Friday! big_smile

Oct 13 06 12:18 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

Just politely contact the Editor and ask him/her where you go to pick up your check...

*Of course I have never tried this... big_smile

Oct 13 06 12:20 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Rifkin

Tampa, Florida, US

Does catching a tornado on the beach in Myrtle Beach count(had 4 of my pics published,all on a disposable)

Oct 13 06 12:21 pm Link

Photographer

NovoCain

Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada

cyberstorm wrote:
Does catching a tornado on the beach in Myrtle Beach count(had 4 of my pics published,all on a disposable)

Damn you. tongue  I do alot of storm chasing and weather related shooting, but in Central Alberta dead smack in the middle of Canada, there's not alot in the way of tornado action. Still have the pics posted online anywhere?And did the papers pay you?

I especially love lightning photos, but I'm gonna hazard a guess that one day I'm gonna get electrocuted while trying. Lol.

https://icons.wunderground.com/data/wximagenew/n/NovusPhoto/26.jpg

Oct 13 06 12:34 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

photiesto wrote:

Damn you. tongue  I do alot of storm chasing and weather related shooting, but in Central Alberta dead smack in the middle of Canada, there's not alot in the way of tornado action. Still have the pics posted online anywhere?And did the papers pay you?

I especially love lightning photos, but I'm gonna hazard a guess that one day I'm gonna get electrocuted while trying. Lol.

What were your settings? I tried shooting an electric storm one time and the images turned out like cr*p...

Gary

Oct 13 06 12:38 pm Link

Photographer

John Van

Vienna, Wien, Austria

I assume the paper will pay you their usual (low) rates if you call them or send them an email with your address, esp. since they credited you.

In general, newspapers want the stuff right now or never, so sending something to see if they're interested isn't going to work. They either take it right away or they lose interest immediately.

I used to drop pictures in the paper's mailbox on Saturday nights or Sunday mornings (this was in Holland, where there are no Sunday papers) with my details on the back. If they published something in the Monday paper, I always got paid, even though I had never spoken with any of their photo editors.

Oct 13 06 01:16 pm Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, US

This happened to me one time. We never agreed on a price for a photo of Seinfled I sold to Star magazine. I called and they said we thought we agreed on $400. I said I never sell a single photo for less then $750 so I would not of agreed to that. They sent me a check for $750. Those people are scams but if you call them on it they will pay what the going rate is

Oct 13 06 01:28 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Rifkin

Tampa, Florida, US

photiesto wrote:

Check one of the yahoo stormchasing groups,might still be up,or the archives of the Myrtle Beach Newspaper)
I got $300(probably got ripped off)
I know my pics are out there(being un tagged,not knowing how to do that,you will see the same pic with at least 4 different credit tags) under different names.
Just google Myrtle Beach tornado(the one taken with the funnel to the left on the beach,from a building under construction,that is my favorate,I actually got rated the 2nd best tornado pic of 2001 with that one(some poll)
I'll try to find it(again,you will find at least 4 different versions of the same pic with 4 different tags,oh well)

Oct 13 06 01:31 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Rifkin

Tampa, Florida, US

GLB Graphics wrote:

What were your settings? I tried shooting an electric storm one time and the images turned out like cr*p...

Gary

I never tried lightning on a digital,actually got a few decent lightning pics the old fashioned way(leave the shutter open for as long as possible,aim at the sky and hope to guess right)

Oct 13 06 01:33 pm Link