Forums > General Industry > Train tracks

Photographer

J & X Photography

Arlington, Virginia, US

I just came into the modeling/photog scene in July of this year...can somebody explain to me the thing/fetish/deal with the train tracks?

I hope this isn't a dumb question...thanks!

Oct 12 06 09:39 pm Link

Photographer

TheLoftStudios

Houston, Texas, US

My feeling on this topic is this.....once U start out as a photographer, U gravitate toward a certain style.....sometimes U can't even describe what that style is, U just know that U're drawn to it.  So, as an admirer, U start to copy or emulate those images.....it gives U a sense of accomplishment that through visualization and talent, U were able to "copy" a particular lighting scheme or location.  I think almost all photographers have done some sort of "Cliche" photoshoot.

So to answer your question, I thinks it's normal.....and everyone has or eventually will do it.....maybe not necessarily the Train Tracks but something along those lines.

Oct 12 06 09:54 pm Link

Photographer

Ragnar

Carson City, Nevada, US

some think this looks nice and sometimes it does. It's all in the eyes of the beholder

Oct 12 06 09:54 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

J n X Photography wrote:
I just came into the modeling/photog scene in July of this year...can somebody explain to me the thing/fetish/deal with the train tracks?

No problem!

The train barreling down a track is symbolic of a certain heterosexual sexual act.  This symbolism is doubled if the track/train is entering a tunnel.   Additionally, train tracks feature prominently in Damsel in Distress /Perils of Pauline type scenarios, train tracks themselve are obviously inherently dangerous if one isn't aware of a hurdling train.   Since Americans seem to have a strong cultural imbalance towards sexuality (drawn to it but are fearful and guilty), the sexy model on a train track is a perfect representation of this imbalance.  Fetish photography since it is examining sexual feelings and acts, is a genre more prone to explore this kind of theme as opposed to (let's say) bridal photography.  Though, quite frankly the idea of the image of a groom tied to a train track is perahps a richly appropriate symbol as well.

Oct 12 06 09:57 pm Link

Photographer

TheLoftStudios

Houston, Texas, US

?

Oct 12 06 10:00 pm Link

Photographer

J & X Photography

Arlington, Virginia, US

KM von Seidl wrote:

No problem!

The train barreling down a track is symbolic of a certain heterosexual sexual act.  This symbolism is doubled if the track/train is entering a tunnel.   Additionally, train tracks feature prominently in Damsel in Distress /Perils of Pauline type scenarios, train tracks themselve are obviously inherently dangerous if one isn't aware of a hurdling train.   Since Americans seem to have a strong cultural imbalance towards sexuality (drawn to it but are fearful and guilty), the sexy model on a train track is a perfect representation of this imbalance.  Fetish photography since it is examining sexual feelings and acts, is a genre more prone to explore this kind of theme as opposed to (let's say) bridal photography.  Though, quite frankly the idea of the image of a groom tied to a train track is perahps a richly appropriate symbol as well.

So it doesn't have anything to do with that internet model that was murdered a year back or so?

Oct 12 06 10:05 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

J n X Photography wrote:

So it doesn't have anything to do with that internet model that was murdered a year back or so?

Was she run over by a train?

Oct 12 06 10:09 pm Link

Photographer

ShadowCrafter

Pike Road, Alabama, US

J n X Photography wrote:

KM von Seidl wrote:
No problem!

I think if it in ways similar to the tilt of the flight deck of an aircraft carrier.  It can be an amazing visual if you have the fortune to ............

never mind.

Oct 12 06 10:11 pm Link

Photographer

ShadowCrafter

Pike Road, Alabama, US

J n X Photography wrote:

KM von Seidl wrote:
Was she run over by a train?

Ouch,   ......  sorry,  deep dark pesonal problem since my uncle was.... never mind.

thats got to hurt.

But no.  It has nothing to do with that and No   she wasnt run over by the train.

Or perhaps she was.  Who Knows?? 

whatadeal.

Oct 12 06 10:13 pm Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

I didn't think I needed a reason, other than I thought it looked kinda neat. I like flat backdrops, too.

https://justinonimus.com/amber-on-tracks2.jpg

Oct 12 06 11:19 pm Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

I'm not so much into tracks....but I love trains......ever since I was 9 years old.....

https://us.a2.yahoofs.com/groups/g_17459461/ebb7/__sr_/efcb.jpg?groG1LFBBvIuwKx1

Oct 12 06 11:20 pm Link

Photographer

Curt at photoworks

Riverside, California, US

Justin wrote:
I didn't think I needed a reason, other than I thought it looked kinda neat. I like flat backdrops, too.

fab image!

once again, the ol' "Hey, how come people shoot these cliched shots of " threads, and then someone posts an image (there will be more) to demonstrate that some have more creativity that others can imagine.

Oct 13 06 12:36 am Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

Curt, that is an exceedingly nice thing to say. Thank you very much.

Oct 13 06 12:45 pm Link

Photographer

A Traveler

San Francisco, California, US

Justin wrote:
Curt, that is an exceedingly nice thing to say. Thank you very much.

i'd have to agree, that is a gorgeous image.

Oct 13 06 12:47 pm Link

Model

stephanie hilbrand

Morgantown, Indiana, US

anything that can add depth to an image is good, especially when the focus should be on the model.... you just have to know how to shoot it i guess...

Oct 13 06 12:54 pm Link

Photographer

Mr-Photographer

Austin, Texas, US

Hey Stephanie...don't you have a camera to be infront of somewhere?!!?

wink

Oct 13 06 12:55 pm Link

Photographer

All Kinds of Photos

KM von Seidl wrote:

No problem!

Holy crap, I didn't know that!

Oct 13 06 12:56 pm Link

Photographer

RED Photographic

Urban Eclipse Studio wrote:
...but something along those lines.

Excellent!

Oct 13 06 12:57 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

Curt Burgess wrote:

fab image!

once again, the ol' "Hey, how come people shoot these cliched shots of " threads, and then someone posts an image (there will be more) to demonstrate that some have more creativity that others can imagine.

I second that! There are so many whining brats on here that say stop doing cliche images...I guess they have nothing better to do other than complain.

And then someone comes on here with a great image like that...which makes you think...because you can't see her facial expression...what's the purpose behind it? It she going to kill herself? What is she thinking? Is she with anyone else and she's the only one in the picture?

So...all you brats that complain about cliches..this should shut you up for...at least a minute or two.

Good job- great shot.

Oct 13 06 02:18 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

This honestly isn't directed at anyone in particular, just an occurace which I find amusing:

Threads like these always come up.  You'll have people coming out of the woodworks saying "Yeah!!  Yeah!!  :::insert oft-used composition here:::  is el lame-o to the max-o, y'know!!  I hate all pictures like that!!"

Then there will be the obligatory response along the lines of "Hark!  Dost thou referest to yon photo in mine portfolio?  I shall post it for thee here, post-haste, henceforth, forthwith!" and so on & so forth. 

At that point, suddenly everyone caves and says "Oh, but yours is sooo good."

Just once, just once, I want someone to stick to their guns and say "Uh, no, sorry but yours is shit, too, pal."

As an aside, I'm of the opinion that a well done photo is just that.  How many times you've seen the composition or context before means nothing.  Not overdone ideas, just badly executed ideas...

Oct 13 06 02:33 pm Link

Photographer

Rowen

Gibsonia, Pennsylvania, US

Justin wrote:

Justin,

I will freely admit I am not a fan of train track shots - nor the rose petals strewn over the naked model... But this shot of your is awesome!  I think what makes this work - at least for me - is the fact that the model really is not the main focus.  She's not nude, semi-nude or seductively posing while looking directly into the camera lens.  This shot has a huge feel to it.  Great depth.  Nice work!

-Rowen

Oct 13 06 02:41 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

Jay Bowman wrote:
Just once, just once, I want someone to stick to their guns and say "Uh, no, sorry but yours is shit, too, pal."

Well, I think Ched is on vacation. So, no dice.

Oct 13 06 03:00 pm Link

Photographer

Curt at photoworks

Riverside, California, US

Jay Bowman wrote:
This honestly isn't directed at anyone in particular, just an occurace which I find amusing:

Threads like these always come up.  You'll have people coming out of the woodworks saying "Yeah!!  Yeah!!  :::insert oft-used composition here:::  is el lame-o to the max-o, y'know!!  I hate all pictures like that!!"

Then there will be the obligatory response along the lines of "Hark!  Dost thou referest to yon photo in mine portfolio?  I shall post it for thee here, post-haste, henceforth, forthwith!" and so on & so forth.

it's a schema that is utilized by people who lack creativity.

A certain entertainment value to that! Of course one can always notice which images did not get the lauditory remarks and also who took their images off. wink

Jay Bowman wrote:
As an aside, I'm of the opinion that a well done photo is just that.  How many times you've seen the composition or context before means nothing.  Not overdone ideas, just badly executed ideas...

Wish I would have said that. I think it reflects a peculiar type of self-centeredness. A person isn't very creative, they have noticed that when they try and imitate other "types" of images that they can't quite carry it off, and then assume that anyone trying it is cliched. In any pursuit, one needs to give themselves latitude to try things out, fail, and then reflect on it. A real challange to a photographer is to take a cliched genre and try to produce something distinctive. 

The next person who complains about railroad track images should have their nose rubbed in Justin's rail image to drive the point home. It's an incredible image.

Oct 13 06 03:45 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Daniela V wrote:
Well, I think Ched is on vacation. So, no dice.

Ah, well... Here's hoping...

Curt Burgess wrote:
A real challange to a photographer is to take a cliched genre and try to produce something distinctive.

Very true.  I have half a mind to do a series using "cliched" themes for just that reason.  Push myself to make something work a second look from the themes people consider overused...

Oct 13 06 03:53 pm Link

Photographer

Moraxian

Germantown, Maryland, US

The train tracks offer a dramatic scene and backdrop at little or no cost to the photographer and model.

For what I shoot, the train tracks offer that as well, as well as the "Damsel in distress" situation that is probably the most classic of all (we always make sure the tracks are not in use though!)

Oct 14 06 09:30 am Link

Photographer

Taboo Motel

Kansas City, Missouri, US

J n X Photography wrote:
...can somebody explain to me the thing/fetish/deal with the train tracks?

In a way its similar to the model embracing the pole in your avatar...wink

Oct 14 06 09:44 am Link

Photographer

BlackWatch

Cleveland, Ohio, US

It's hard to train tracks...they just don't listen as well as humans...

Oct 14 06 09:49 am Link

Photographer

shotbytim

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

Part of it may be that railroad tracks are used in every art school to teach linear perspective. You can see a long distance and you have a strong vanishing point to establish depth. It's an easy element to work with and it's always interesting to ry and combine it with other things. It can also add drama by implying travel, danger, whatever.

Oct 14 06 09:56 am Link

Photographer

CaneegaPhotography

Dublin, Georgia, US

Jay Bowman wrote:

At that point, suddenly everyone caves and says "Oh, but yours is sooo good."

I must admit, Jay, you nailed me with this comment.  I immediately wanted to post my tracks image, but opted to not.........well I have in a way. Maybe I should start just shooting girls in kudzo:-)

Oct 14 06 09:56 am Link

Photographer

CaneegaPhotography

Dublin, Georgia, US

KM von Seidl wrote:

No problem!

Could simply symbolize a journey.

Oct 14 06 10:04 am Link

Photographer

J & X Photography

Arlington, Virginia, US

Solomage wrote:

In a way its similar to the model embracing the pole in your avatar...wink

it's a mast from a catamaran!  the guide wires are PS'ed out though!!!  (everyone says its a pole!)

Oct 14 06 05:37 pm Link

Photographer

Benjamen McGuire

Portland, Oregon, US

Women and transportation. Two subjects that will be photographed together for as long as they exist. Why? Because we like it.

Oct 14 06 06:50 pm Link

Photographer

Benjamen McGuire

Portland, Oregon, US

ddamn ddouble ppost

Oct 14 06 06:50 pm Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

CaneegaPhotography wrote:

Could simply symbolize a journey.

Not to be picky, but..what does HETRO have to do with it? THERE ARE HOLES for hetros and homos..

As far as the tracks being a sexual image, thats a new spin on me. I always thought of the journey factor..SEX? Hmmm..OK I can wrap my head around it.  As far as photgraphy goes, I would think the way the shot is set up would determine it's over comp and meaning.

Just me... not arguing....

Oct 14 06 06:59 pm Link

Photographer

David Pankhurst Photo

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

stephanie hilbrand wrote:
anything that can add depth to an image is good, especially when the focus should be on the model.... you just have to know how to shoot it i guess...

While I quite agree with the sentiment that anything that add depth to an image is good (most of the time), and this is a good photo,  that is NOT the case in this image.  If the focus is intended to be on the model, it is not attained here.  Basic photo/image/art composition theory will tell you that this is a case of single-point perspective with a vanishing point at the horizon, which, in this case, divides the image almost exactly in half...not usdually a good idea.  Unfortunately, the really strong image of the tracks actully draws the viewer's eye away from the model and down the tracks.  The focus is def. not on the model in this image.

Oct 14 06 06:59 pm Link

Photographer

picturephoto

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Converging lines are pretty (with apologies to Jay Bowman):

https://img4.modelmayhem.com/060816/04/44e2dfa0810e0.jpg

All that stuff about sexuality and trains is nice, I just shot this here because I liked how it looked.

Oct 14 06 07:02 pm Link

Photographer

Kollisions Studio

I took this when I was starting out- it is pretty cliche but I thought it look cool.

https://img224.imageshack.us/img224/9294/img0707hf1.jpg

Oct 14 06 07:23 pm Link