Forums > General Industry > What should I answer to this ?

Model

E the model

London, Ontario, Canada

Hi,

I've worked recently for the launch of a new camera by Sony, I was hired by them. There were photographers from the company and one from the shop where the launch was who were taking pictures of me and of the other model, to show off the camera. People could take pictures too. I was paid very decently for this by Sony. Now, the photographer of the shop, who gives photo seminars at that shop (and they're not free) sent me an email regarding the pictures he took of me. He likes so much some of them that he wants to use them as a publicity for his seminar, on flyers. He asked me first if I didn't mind. Now, my job there was only to be taken in pictures, and I had made sure with Sony that the pictures wouldn't be used later on for publicity (of any kind) without renegotiating the contract. But the photographer (who is from the shop, not Sony) seems to expect me to agree to what he asked me, that is to use the photos to make money out of them by advertising his seminars, without me paying paid a additionnal amount of money. Now, he says, he usually gets paid to take pictures, print them and burn them on a cd, so I should be happy and consider it a tfcd... wtf? I never agreed to a tfcd with him, my contract was with Sony! From what I understood, the shop asked him to take pictures, so this was part of his job. Am I getting screwed over?

I don't get it, it seems to me that my contract was clear and that I was to be paid *only* for me being there at the event, that the pictures were not to be used for publicity. And that photographer was from the shop, not Sony, and my contract was with Sony, so aren't the pictures Sony's?

What should I answer that photographer?

Oct 10 06 01:08 pm Link

Photographer

Saryn Angel

Los Angeles, California, US

As you were hired by Sony to be there for the photos, I would tell the photographer to contact Sony for the right to use the photos - and then negotiate with Sony for further use rights - as per your original contract with them.

Oct 10 06 01:14 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

Ask the photographer how much he charges then double it wink

Oct 10 06 01:15 pm Link

Model

not here anymore #523

Colorado Springs, Colorado, US

Sounds like the photographer might be stepping on Sony's toes. I would check to see if the photographer has any rights to those pics, because Sony obviously paid him and you from what I'm gathering. I think you need more of a photographers spill or someone in the business, but I would contact someone right away to get the facts straight, because there might be other motives here.

Oct 10 06 01:16 pm Link

Photographer

Ty Simone

Edison, New Jersey, US

Careful, canandian law is different than US law.

If I had to guess, I think the issues you need to examine are these.

1. was the photographer working for sony directly at the time of the shoot.
2. If yes, does the Sony Agreement cover all the images he took.
3. If not, did he and all the other photographers that could take pictures sign anything and if so, what.
4. Does your jurisidction have laws about usage as opposed to copyright that would allow you compensation for his actions if he does use them.

Consult an attorney to get those answers.

Oct 10 06 01:19 pm Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Pattaya, Central, Thailand

I would suggest to him that if he has such good luck with TFP, than why doesn't he just use one of the images from a TFP shoot for his advertising.

Without knowing all the facts, it certainly sounds like he is trying to get something for free. And he's providing you with no incentive to do business with him.

There's nothing wrong with TFP -- if both parties need it. If you're not interested in a TFP arrangement with him, than he has to think of something else of value to offer in exchange for his using your image. Personally, I think cash would be a great choice!

If it's any consolation at all, clients do the same thing to us photographers all the time. . .

Regards,
Paul

Oct 10 06 01:24 pm Link

Photographer

Southern Image Photo

Garner, North Carolina, US

OK, uber_geek that I am, I gotta ask - which camera was it???

Oh, and I agree with Ty on this one. Contact Sony (they can hire better/more expensive lawyers), then consider getting a lawyer yourself.

Oct 10 06 01:24 pm Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Stamford, Connecticut, US

Saryn Angel wrote:
As you were hired by Sony to be there for the photos, I would tell the photographer to contact Sony for the right to use the photos - and then negotiate with Sony for further use rights - as per your original contract with them.

[EDIT: JUST SAW YOU WERE IN CANADA - NONE OF THIS PROBABLY APPLIES - SORRY]

Yep.  The first question is what is the status of the copyright.  Was the photographer contracted on a work for hire basis or did he retain copyright to the images?  Neither of which is really your concern, but it does dictate what the photographer can do. Assuming he either owns the copyright to the images or gets usage rights from Sony, the question then is are you willing to give him permission to use the photos for advertising purposes.

You are correct.  You did a job, you were paid, and that's that.  And you would be perfectly within your purview to decline his request.  I see many on this board do (or suggest) just that all the time (mostly photographers).  Often times to me it seems a little like cutting off the nose to spite the face, however.

Unless this guy is a complete jerk, I would sit down with him and have a conversation.  Act happy.  Be pleased that he thought enough of your photos to want to use them in his promotional material.  Acknowledge the fact that the photographs came out great and you appreciate his skill in bringing out the best in you.  Then politely suggest that you would love to see him use the images, and that you are sure some arrangement could be worked out that would be beneficial to both of you.  Then enter into a conversation and see if you can't reach an agreement that does benefit you both.  Maybe it's not what you want going in, it probably wont be what he wants going in, but it could still be rewarding to you both.

If he cops a major attitude and doesn't show you any respect, then simply smile, thank him for his time and leave, while pulling a Columbo.  You know, just before you walk out the door, turn smile and say "oh, just one other thing, I'm sure you would never do anything so underhanded as to use my images without a release for your commercial gain, that would be incredibly stupid and I'm sure you too smart for that.  But..  if you do use my photos for promotional purposes, I would then be forced to sue you and since I have an attorney in the family, it will cost you much more than it will cost me.  But I'm sure we won't have to deal with any of that nonsense".  Then walk out.

Oct 10 06 01:28 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

People are always ready to deal with lawyers.  Call him and talk with him first.
Lawsuits can be won but its damages that are the important issue.  A question
would be what it cost you in earnings or has his use of your photos harmed you
in any way.  However keep things light and friendly.  You don't want to cause a
huge stink because it may mean not being used by Sony again and if this person
has connections it could mean others won't use you.  I'm not saying to not stand
up for yourself but to keep things light and easy going.  If he was a real sneak he
might have just used your photos and you might not have ever known.  Don't
make any viewed threats.  Lead with diplomacy first.

Oct 10 06 01:55 pm Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Stamford, Connecticut, US

Exactly my point - the Columbo bit at the end was if he dismissed you entirely and treated you like garbage.  Then it would be right to play hardball right back, yet still with class and decorum.

It amazes me how many otherwise talented people on this board are seriously lacking in business skills.

Oct 10 06 01:58 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

There is a missing piece of information:  what did you sign, and what did it say?

Oct 10 06 03:33 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Eloise wrote:
Hi,

I've worked recently for the launch of a new camera by Sony, I was hired by them. There were photographers from the company and one from the shop where the launch was who were taking pictures of me and of the other model, to show off the camera. People could take pictures too. I was paid very decently for this by Sony. Now, the photographer of the shop, who gives photo seminars at that shop (and they're not free) sent me an email regarding the pictures he took of me. He likes so much some of them that he wants to use them as a publicity for his seminar, on flyers. He asked me first if I didn't mind. Now, my job there was only to be taken in pictures, and I had made sure with Sony that the pictures wouldn't be used later on for publicity (of any kind) without renegotiating the contract. But the photographer (who is from the shop, not Sony) seems to expect me to agree to what he asked me, that is to use the photos to make money out of them by advertising his seminars, without me paying paid a additionnal amount of money. Now, he says, he usually gets paid to take pictures, print them and burn them on a cd, so I should be happy and consider it a tfcd... wtf? I never agreed to a tfcd with him, my contract was with Sony! From what I understood, the shop asked him to take pictures, so this was part of his job. Am I getting screwed over?

I don't get it, it seems to me that my contract was clear and that I was to be paid *only* for me being there at the event, that the pictures were not to be used for publicity. And that photographer was from the shop, not Sony, and my contract was with Sony, so aren't the pictures Sony's?

I am NOT a lawyer.  But, I think he's asking you for permission because he knows he NEEDs it and the proper thing for him to do is to get you to sign a release.  You may negotiate those terms however you wish until both parties agree.  If no agreement can be made, then I guess he doesn't get to use the photos.

Oct 10 06 04:24 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

Eloise wrote:

"Make me a fair offer for the rights."

Oct 10 06 04:36 pm Link

Model

CrazyRussianHelicopter

Madison, Alabama, US

C R Photography wrote:
Ask the photographer how much he charges then double it wink

Next time I need an advice I'll contact you https://www.garage.chel.ru/forum/images/smiles/thumbup.gif

Oct 10 06 04:50 pm Link

Model

Elisa Lee

East Lansing, Michigan, US

Like others have mentioned, I think you should contact Sony directly.  Since they are the ones who hired you and you signed a contract with them, you should inform them of this situation with this photographer.

Oct 10 06 05:12 pm Link

Photographer

HungryEye

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

DigitalCMH wrote:

I am NOT a lawyer.  But, I think he's asking you for permission because he knows he NEEDs it and the proper thing for him to do is to get you to sign a release.  You may negotiate those terms however you wish until both parties agree.  If no agreement can be made, then I guess he doesn't get to use the photos.

I am not a lawyer either, but I have played one on television...;o)

This is the simplest and most practical advice I have seen offered here. He HAS to have your permission, and if you do not want the images used they cannot be. On the other hand, it may be an opportunity to be paid twice for the same gig.

Oct 10 06 05:20 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

There is something interesting going on here. The OP mentioned that:

"...There were photographers from the company and one from the shop where the launch was who were taking pictures of me and of the other model, to show off the camera....People could take pictures too."

also with respect to the shop photographer - the OP notes: "From what I understood, the shop asked him to take pictures, so this was part of his job."

Presumably the OP here [People...] means members of the public - customers in the shop.

IF the shop photographer was doing this as part of his duties, and provided the equipment to do it by the shop, and did it at their direction, it is entirely possible that Sony doesn't own the © to anything he generated and neither does the photographer. His employer, THE SHOP [or the underlying company that owns the shop,] most likely owns the ©.

This is not a straightforward question. There are several layers of legal issues that need to be sorted through, not the least of which is what your contract with Sony actually said in all these respects. It doesn't matter, it might seem, that Sony actually hired the models but did not otherwise restrict the photography to their own photographer. They allowed others to take photos as well. The shop... and reading between the lines... the shop's customers. Sure, Sony would own the images that their photographer personally took [in paticular if he was an employee of Sony], and Sony would be bound by their contract with you. But the more important question is who owns the rest? ...And IF any restrictions were imposed by Sony, on anyone and everyone else, before those other images were made by anyone that made them other than their own photographer.

The use question, once the © ownership question is sorted out, is fairly straightforward. It is apparently to be a "commercial" use [to advertise the seminars] so that needs to be answered in light of Canadian law on that kind of use relating to permissions necessary from the person appearing in the images.

Studio36

[edit] Frankly this has the potential to be a real mess from the get-go.

Oct 10 06 05:24 pm Link

Photographer

Luminos

Columbia, Maryland, US

This is a three-way problem.

Your contract with Sony may or may not specify rights.  You may have retained them, Sony may have waived or optioned them - it is not cut and dried.

The contract with Sony and the tog also makes for a complication.  It is possible his contract with Sony assigns him rights to the pictures (not likely, but possible) - but it is only valid if your contract allows them to publish, and your contract allows them to assign the rights.

If you were told right, and Sony must negotiate for further use, then the tog has no rights to publish what-so-ever.  He may hold copyright to his images, but whether in Canada or the U.S. he must have your release to use them commercially.  Canadian law is more balanced to the photographer than U.S. law, and the British laws give the photographer the most rights - but commercial use requires the permission of the model.

In the U.K. it is hard for the model to enforce this.  In Canada it is closer to the U.S. - and in the U.S. the model can take the tog to the cleaners if he screws up.

So ask yourself it is worth it.  But you do have the right to refuse as you have described it.

Oct 10 06 05:34 pm Link

Model

Shahsimene

Arlington Heights, Pennsylvania, US

Wow! So many smart people on this board, who think of everything!

I now have a place to come for advice.

Oct 10 06 05:41 pm Link

Photographer

Tied And Taped

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I would contact Sony and see if (assuming you sign a release) he would even have the right to use the photos in the first place.  If yes, then I would negotiate with the guy.  After all, it's him who wants to use the photos for his own commercial gain.  You should get some form of compensation out of it.  If he refuses to compensate you, refuse to sign the release.

Oct 10 06 05:41 pm Link

Model

CrazyRussianHelicopter

Madison, Alabama, US

Shahsimene wrote:
Wow! So many smart people on this board, who think of everything!

I now have a place to come for advice.

You mean when Sony hires you?
wink

Oct 10 06 05:47 pm Link

Photographer

NewBoldPhoto

PORT MURRAY, New Jersey, US

Why deal with the Sony issue at all?
Contact the guy, tell him that: as you understand your contract with Sony those pictures can’t be used for any advertising purposes.
Suggest that you might be willing to make him a deal for a separate shoot.
Set up a meeting with him and see what you can negotiate.
If you want the work make it sound like your giving him a great price.

Oct 10 06 06:01 pm Link