Forums > General Industry > No more bad glamour shots please

Photographer

S

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Daniela V wrote:
My post was not directed to you.

He's not saying it was directed at him, Daniela, he's saying the joking tone of your opening post was obvious to him.

Oct 10 06 03:51 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Daniela V wrote:

It's not obvious to anyone else because, for the last time, it wasn't to you. It wasn't to anyone. At all. It wasn't about you. It wasn't directed to you. It was a spoof on another thread that yes, you were a part of, but not the main cause of.

My original post, was not directed to you. So, it can't be obvious to you that it was directed to you, when it WAS NOT DIRECTED TO YOU.

OMG Daniela V...

It was obvious to ME that this thread was A JOKE!!!!!  I never said, NOR did I ever believe it was a JOKE DIRECTED towards ME!!  I never never never SAID (or to be technical, wrote) that it was obviously directed to me!!  Why, WHY, do you constantly misunderstand me?!  I do know I don't have the greatest writing skills and Gibberish is my first language, but I still have explained myself quite clearly and YOU still think I'm bitching about this thread being about me!

That was kind of a long paragraph so I'll seperate this last line so as to hopefully avoid confusion.

I KNOW THIS THREAD WAS NOT STARTED, CREATED, OR INTENDED TO BE DIRECTED TOWARDS ME.

Oct 10 06 03:55 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Sita Mae Edwards wrote:

He's not saying it was directed at him, Daniela, he's saying the joking tone of your opening post was obvious to him.

At least one person understands my Gibberish. big_smile

Oct 10 06 03:56 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

DigitalCMH wrote:

OMG Daniela V...

It was obvious to ME that this thread was A JOKE!!!!!  I never said, NOR did I ever believe it was a JOKE DIRECTED towards ME!!  I never never never SAID (or to be technical, wrote) that it was obviously directed to me!!  Why, WHY, do you constantly misunderstand me?!  I do know I don't have the greatest writing skills and Gibberish is my first language, but I still have explained myself quite clearly and YOU still think I'm bitching about this thread being about me!

That was kind of a long paragraph so I'll seperate this last line so as to hopefully avoid confusion.

I KNOW THIS THREAD WAS NOT STARTED, CREATED, OR INTENDED TO BE DIRECTED TOWARDS ME.

I'm not going to continue this. Fine. Whatever you say.

peace out

Oct 10 06 03:57 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

I win!! big_smile

Oct 10 06 03:58 pm Link

Model

LORA

Washington, District of Columbia, US

DigitalCMH wrote:
I win!! big_smile

lol

Oct 10 06 03:59 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

Now, now.

Daniela V & DigitalCMH... if you two continue to argue with each other like this you might have to get married.

Oct 10 06 04:00 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

Sita Mae Edwards wrote:

I prefer old school glamour.  Not many people do it anymore.  In fact, Mark Wangerin is the only photographer I can think of who does.  I'm sure there are more that I'm not familiar with.

Any examples of old school?...past tense?

Oct 10 06 04:01 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Jay Bowman wrote:
Now, now.

Daniela V & DigitalCMH... if you two continue to argue with each other like this you might have to get married.

She likes college football so it works for me.  Though I kind of have the hots right now for Lora because she laughed at me.  I like girls that laugh...wait...WITH me. I like girls that laugh WITH me.

Oct 10 06 04:06 pm Link

Photographer

Trevor Borchelt

Bechtelsville, Pennsylvania, US

The original meaning of the word glamour was the act of casting a spell over someone. The modern meaning of the word relates to fascination, charisma, beauty or sexual attraction. A person, or their lifestyle, can be described as glamourous.

-wikipedia.

So bad glamour fails to achieve those goals.  It is that unskilled person trying without success to seduce, or lure.

Good glamour succeeds in the definition above.

You meant this thread as a joke, but it turned out to be a good one.  A modeling portfolio being a marketing tool without a market aim is glamour in its pure form.  When its attached to cars clothes or cell phones its a combination resulting in effective advertising.  Or when coupled with an artistic end it can become a masterpeice.

The photoshop crap that someone else put up for us to laugh at is bad glamour because it fails the litmus test.  It could however be art as a spoof of glamour and a statement about fake people (it was coupled with a statment an artistic vision)  Maybe someone was sketching and that is fine also.

Oct 10 06 04:09 pm Link

Photographer

yani

Matawan, New Jersey, US

DigitalCMH wrote:
because she laughed at me.  I like girls that laugh...wait...WITH me. I like girls that laugh WITH me.

If you find one and she has a sister, send her to my dating site profile ;-)

Oct 10 06 04:11 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

digitalfrog wrote:
anyone's got pain killers please, that thread gave me a headache ;-)

Ralph

I just called Walgreen's and they're refilling my scrip for Vicodin. I'm always happy to share because by now we're all in pain.

Oct 10 06 04:12 pm Link

Photographer

yani

Matawan, New Jersey, US

Trevor Borchelt wrote:
The original meaning of the word glamour was the act of casting a spell over someone. The modern meaning of the word relates to fascination, charisma, beauty or sexual attraction. A person, or their lifestyle, can be described as glamourous.

-wikipedia.

So bad glamour fails to achieve those goals.  It is that unskilled person trying without success to seduce, or lure.

Good glamour succeeds in the definition above.

You meant this thread as a joke, but it turned out to be a good one.  A modeling portfolio being a marketing tool without a market aim is glamour in its pure form.  When its attached to cars clothes or cell phones its a combination resulting in effective advertising.  Or when coupled with an artistic end it can become a masterpeice.

The photoshop crap that someone else put up for us to laugh at is bad glamour because it fails the litmus test.  It could however be art as a spoof of glamour and a statement about fake people (it was coupled with a statment an artistic vision)  Maybe someone was sketching and that is fine also.

This is a great thought but it belongs in photography talk.

Damn, I amuse myself!

Good stuff Trevor.

Oct 10 06 04:14 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

yani wrote:

If you find one and she has a sister, send her to my dating site profile ;-)

the URL please? wink

Oct 10 06 04:18 pm Link

Photographer

Trevor Borchelt

Bechtelsville, Pennsylvania, US

Thanks Sir,
Maybe I will borrow the thread and kick it off over there where the photogs are.

Oct 10 06 04:19 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

Sorry. I'll try to make "good" glamour from now on. It's just that the dark-side of glamour was so compelling to me...

Oct 10 06 04:33 pm Link

Photographer

Le Beck Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

Daniela V wrote:

Any examples of old school?...past tense?

Greta Garbo by the great Clarence Sinclair Bull. Her favorite photographer.
https://www.aprille.org/greta/images/bull/bull17a.jpg

Gary Cooper
Also by Clarence Sinclair Bull
https://www.math.rutgers.edu/~clong/Cooper.jpg

Clark Gable and Jean Harlow publicity shot for "Red Dust" (Great movie too)
https://pop-arts.com/content/artgallery/big/RWP038.jpg

Oct 10 06 04:35 pm Link