Forums > General Industry > All Aspiring Models, Read And Heed !

Photographer

D Allen Photography

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I have been photographing professionally for over 15 years and I have lived in Chicago, IL and before that Virginia Beach, VA and I have never, ever in my life encountered as many irresponsible and thoroughly unprofessional models as I have since moving to the Phoenix metropolitan area.  It seems that a lot of the models we have here are OK at posing and choosing their clothes but there are utter failures when it comes to actually managing their modeling and managing modeling is every bit as important if not more so than the modeling itself.

I think part of the blame for this must be attributed to the Internet and the multitude of “modeling” sites that have cropped up to the point where anyone who has access to a digital camera and an Internet connection can now put up photos and call themselves a “model” whether they are or not.  In the old days pretty much the only way to get to be a model was to go through established channels and this provided aspiring models with education and a mentoring effort which left the models of yesterday much better prepared to actually manage their modeling.  One of the largest failings that I see from these so-called “models” every day is a horrifying failure to follow through and I want to share some tips and if you aspiring (and seasoned models as well) follow these tips and your modeling is up to speed your phone is going to start ringing because you will possess what so many of these so-called “models” don’t have and that is professionalism.

·    Return every single email and call that you get even if it is to politely decline and say that you don’t feel that particular photographer has the style you are looking for or can provide you what you need for your portfolio.  This alone will put you head and shoulders above all the rest of the wannabe models out there because people remember and you never know when the person you blew off or ignored today might just be in a position to help you next week and chances are that person will remember your courtesy, or glaring lack of.  I hear so many “models” say that they are just so busy and that they don’t have the time to return every call and email they get and to that I say, your modeling must not mean very much to you otherwise you would make the time to do the things that are important and effectively managing your modeling is very important.

·    Follow through is also very important.  You should always call 24 hours in advance of your shoot to confirm the details and to let the photographer know you are looking forward to working with them.  This is of course unless the photographer calls you first and we photographers are calling our models AREN’T WE??  If something goes wrong do whatever it takes to let the photographer and anyone else you are working with that you will be late (or not there at all) and let them know that you will be in contact to re-schedule the shoot.  In this day and age of cell phones and text messaging this can and must be done regardless of the situation or no matter how serious or dire it may be.  Also, if you know you away for a period of time put a note up on your Page or Web Site to let people know that you will be away and that you will respond to emails and messages when you return.

·    The subject of pay is another topic that really chaps me.  I see Pages put up by models who indicate up front that they are novice models with no experience and the very next thing I read is that they are only accepting paid assignments and I just want to reach out and give these naïve little girls a really good shaking because they simple haven’t got a clue in this world.  The absolute very best that a novice or intermediate model can ever expect to receive from a shoot is TFP/TFCD.  To even think of asking for anything more is unrealistic and delusional.  There are only two types of models who should ever expect to be paid in money for their efforts and they are seasoned professionals who are at the top of their craft and have the accolades to prove it and little girl, so-called “models” who take their clothes off in a hotel room in front of a bunch of guys with Polaroid cameras and these “models” aren’t true models at all, they are a plague on our industry and need to be ostracized from our community.

·    Each and every photo that goes into your portfolio needs to be your absolute very best work and nothing less.  Photos of you in wrinkled sweats are unacceptable not matter how comfy they may be or how much they may flatter you.  Also, photos taken in your backyard by your mother or boyfriend are unacceptable unless either is a seasoned professional photographer.  Also, and I would think this would be a no-brainer but apparently it isn’t, do not put photos in your portfolio of you and your ex-significant other with him or her cropped out because the crop job shows.  I see so many portfolios of novice and even intermediate models that have crappy photos in them because someone told the model that they needed to put some photos in their book so they could get noticed.  Getting noticed that way is not the kind of notice that a model needs, ever.  If you are serious about pursuing your modeling and can’t find a photographer who is willing to work with you on a TFP/TFCD basis pay a pro to take your initial photos.  The difference is well worth what it will cost.

·    The final tip I want to offer is to always, always be prepared and organized.  This is a point that will instantly separate a true professional model from a wannabe every time.  Select your outfits and accessories ahead of time and even try them on to see if the way they fit is the look you want to convey for that shoot.  Make sure your outfits are clean and in good repair.  Always have your accessories close where you can get to them quickly for a shoot.  If you have favorite cosmetics or hair spray, or a curling iron, or whatever make sure you can find it when you need it and not be running around in a panic because you haven’t a clue as to where it is the day of a shoot.  This trait has rank amateur written all over it in large letters.  If you model a lot or you frequently have to travel or your shoots are involved consider getting a modeling case (a suitcase) that you can put a few outfits, along with shoes, accessories and anything else you might need into and leave it where you can find it and go on short notice.

Whatever you do make sure you do not EVER, NEVER show up to a shoot with practically everything you own stuffed into grocery store shopping bags.  I actually had a model do this to me and she didn’t stay long at all and the crying shame of it was she didn’t see anything at all wrong with what she was doing.  She told me that other photographers she had worked with thought it was cute.  Needless to say, I disagreed strongly with that opinion.  I later found out she was one of these ‘little girl, so-called “models” who take their clothes off in a hotel room in front of a bunch of guys with Polaroid cameras’.

Always remember that your modeling is an extension and a representation of yourself and you always want to put your very best foot forward in everything you do.  If you do this you not only make yourself look good, you make your fellow models look good as well and you help make the entire modeling profession look good as well.

Oct 09 06 09:21 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

You must be new.

Oh, you are.

With 15 years under your belt, why aren't you calling and using agency models?

Oct 09 06 09:35 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

lll wrote:
You must be new.

Oh, you are.

(high five)

Oct 09 06 09:38 pm Link

Photographer

Leo Howard

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Welcome to the Mayhem, not just Model Mayhem, but the Mayhem in general that is the internet modeling world.

Also, welcome to AZ.

I'd like to say it gets better, but it doesnt. . . However, there are some very professional models in Phoenix.

Oct 09 06 09:40 pm Link

Photographer

Sockpuppet Studios

San Francisco, California, US

Welcome to the Internet

Good morning OP

You have just stepped out of your safe little world of agency modeling, and into the big bad world of internet photography. There are no rules here; a girl who is 5’ 1” in 4” stiletto heals can get paid work from photographers, so can a girl who is bigger than a size 4. The typical agency rules don’t apply to us anymore. Sorry about that, in just a few days your in box will be filled with silly little girls with crappy web cam photos saying they love your work, yet you need to pay 150.00 an hour to shoot them. Not to make it too complicated there are several different camps of people all colliding on this site:

Agency models and photographers = work for clients and have a set of standards
Artist models and photographers = work for art and the chance to be in the galleries.
Amateur models and photographers = work to learn some of these guys and girls will move up and do some great work in the above categories.
GWP and GWC = it’s all about the b(o)(o)bies.

Welcome to our world…………………………………………..wink

Oct 09 06 09:41 pm Link

Photographer

Hope Parr

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

Damn, another angry "photographer" who is upset over models wanting to get paid for their time.

I do not know where you learned what a model is or is not, but you do not need experience to be a model and I keep hearing about you all talking about using "agencies", have you ever modeled ? worked for an agency? I have, so no more make believe stuff about agencies.

Basically this stuff is real simple, people's time is precious, some people feel they should be compensated for that time, if you do not agree, dont get mad, just find someone else, its their right if they want to charge.

If you think you are all that and a loaf of bread, then stop begging girls to model for you for free and just sit and wait for paying clients to come to you.

Now all you "photgraphers" who harp on models to have "professional" photos in their portfolio, personally I do not like it, when I look for a mode to hire, I want to see them without make up, not airbrushed or anything else, I want to see what I have to work with. I dont care what clothes they have on, if its wrinkled, if I have questions I will ask the model.

Stop crying and feeding models your BS, I have heard the exact same things from angencies, and you know what, its all bullshit. Everything in modeling is designed to make money for everyone EXCEPT the model. Everyone wants you to do stuff for free.. well my time is precious and I know other models times is precious, if you do not respect them then continue crying about how nothing is free.

Oct 10 06 01:24 am Link

Photographer

Visions Of Paradise

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

that is simple models do not get paid in the real world by photographers period. Onlt amatures pay models, And as far as the internet goes wow just another way to promote ones self so what makes the models here any different than an agency girl. being lazy?? who knows models should allways pay for thier pictures where it be by money trade or sex... and yes that still dose happen in the real world so all you people shut it. I am so tired of hearing stories about how the so called  models all give it up in the mainland for a portfolio. But back to the issue if the girls want to be taken seriously then they have to pay to get thier photos done otherwise they are just a wanna be girl who thinks she is all that simple..

Oct 10 06 01:34 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

lll wrote:
With 15 years under your belt, why aren't you calling and using agency models?

I've been in the game for 45 years and I wouldn't use an agency model unless 1) there was a client paying for it AND 2) it was a profit making shoot AND 3) the client absolutely, positively insisted on it. Often ordinary "model" agencies can not supply the models I want, either, but only their own vision of cookie cutter models. A blind man could point to an agency head sheet and pick out any of them - it doesn't matter which one he points to because they are all pretty much the same.

I do a lot better street casting, or by word of mouth, or through the local colleges, and occasionally through other kinds of agencies [extras and theatrical casting agents]... but at least by those routes there are no delusions of grandeur or diva behaviour because "character" talent do not consider themselves "mod...doos" in the first place. Not to mention that I can actually get some, and the key word here is "experienced," talent, for as little as union scale [Equity/BECTU] = UK£55.00 (US$ ca 90.00) a DAY!!! Even with transport and meals it cost me less to have them on set for a whole day than some web "mod...doos" seem to think they are worth for an hour [with a three hour minimum - ROTFLMAO!]

Studio36

Oct 10 06 02:31 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Hope Parr wrote:
Stop crying and feeding models your BS, I have heard the exact same things from angencies, and you know what, its all bullshit. Everything in modeling is designed to make money for everyone EXCEPT the model. Everyone wants you to do stuff for free.. well my time is precious and I know other models times is precious, if you do not respect them then continue crying about how nothing is free.

And why do you think that is? Huh? Because in the real world, and unless they are "PROVEN" talent with name or face recognition value, a model is the sludge at the bottom of the talent pool... that's why.

Agencies know it, casting agents know it, producers know it, photographers know it... even clients know it... but "mod...doos" can't seem to wrap their head around the facts of life in this business.

Studio36

Oct 10 06 02:43 am Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

New Haven, Connecticut, US

Get in line right over there by the photographers who don't show?

Oct 10 06 05:34 am Link

Photographer

Hadyn Lassiter

New Haven, Connecticut, US

studio36uk wrote:

And why do you think that is? Huh? Because in the real world, and unless they are "PROVEN" talent with name or face recognition value, a model is the sludge at the bottom of the talent pool... that's why.

Agencies know it, casting agents know it, producers know it, photographers know it... even clients know it... but "mod...doos" can't seem to wrap their head around the facts of life in this business.

Studio36

DSTFU

Oct 10 06 05:37 am Link

Model

Sinnamon Love

Los Angeles, California, US

Axlf wrote:
that is simple models do not get paid in the real world by photographers period. Onlt amatures pay models,

Not true. The photographer's client that is hiring the model - often pays the model.

Oct 10 06 05:47 am Link

Model

Sirensong

Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

studio36uk wrote:
"mod...doos"

Studio36

Is that pronounced in the "Jordan" way of Mod-owl?

Oct 10 06 05:55 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Sirensong wrote:

Is that pronounced in the "Jordan" way of Mod-owl?

Yup... just the same but with an American accent. LOL

Studio36

Oct 10 06 05:57 am Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Los Angeles, California, US

BRAVO OP!

You are making statements that make perfect logical sense. However, the internet has redefined some of the rules. I work in the "mainstream"..I do not consider the internet mainstream. For the wannabe model this may be the place to get some pay and exposure. Good for them. I have nothing bad to say about it. I choose to work with MM models for fun and TFCD only.None of the shoots I do here would go into a modeling portfolio simply becasue they dont usually follow the guidlines set down by the industry.
Sometimes they do, but not by design.

I too crack up when I see wannabes posting rates and then crying about the job offers they receive. INTERNET GWC"S pay best in most situations and then you get what comin.

As to the ART photgraphers who pay, I have mad respect for them and I know a place like MM provides them a decent stream of talent. Other than that, it's a crap shoot.

party on!

Oct 10 06 06:11 am Link