Forums > General Industry > direct models or let them improvise

Photographer

Ray Granado

Austin, Indiana, US

I can't figure out if its better to direct my models or let them just do their thing.  i'm sure that depends on their experience but I still not sure how to communciate poses with them.  Do you start with a few poses and then direct them when to start doing their own thing or what?  I guess what I'm getting at is how do you build a rapport with your models?  What are some techniques that have worked for you or have you seen photohgraphers use?

Oct 09 06 08:42 pm Link

Model

Ryan6663

New York, New York, US

I little bit of both is what is good.

Oct 09 06 08:52 pm Link

Photographer

Moraxian

Germantown, Maryland, US

It depends on the model, how many times I've worked with them, and how familiar they are with the genre I am shooting.

A model that is new to damsel-in-distress and/or new in general will tend to need a lot of direction, whereas a model like Tatiana (MM 20404) needs very little direction.  We've worked together 18 times, so she knows what to do.  I do occasionally get a model who understands damsel-in-distress so they don't need much direction even at the first shoot (such as Christina Carter from last Sunday...)

It all depends, always does.

Oct 09 06 08:58 pm Link

Model

Mircalla

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I have to agree, a little of both. Especially with the more novice model who may be wanting some direction. Often times, a man or woman who is new to modeling will try to recreate poses they've seen in other photographs or magazines but they don't always work for them. Nerves, can also create some stiffness in their poses. So naturally, with you being the photographer and seeing what they look like, can give a more in depth idea of what something will look like and whether or not it's good or bad.

Maybe start out giving them some direction until they're comfortable then allow them to just flow freely. smile

Oct 09 06 08:59 pm Link

Photographer

none of the above

Marina del Rey, California, US

Ray Granado wrote:
I still not sure how to communciate poses with them.

communicate emotion and attitude instead.

--face reality

Oct 09 06 09:00 pm Link

Photographer

J Schumacher

Gustine, California, US

I like to let them do their own, then refine them a bit.... arm up, elbow down, whatever, to fix it from my viewpoint.

Oct 09 06 09:01 pm Link

Photographer

Allure by LH Taylor

Austin, Texas, US

Ray Granado wrote:
I can't figure out if its better to direct my models or let them just do their thing.  i'm sure that depends on their experience but I still not sure how to communciate poses with them.  Do you start with a few poses and then direct them when to start doing their own thing or what?  I guess what I'm getting at is how do you build a rapport with your models?  What are some techniques that have worked for you or have you seen photohgraphers use?

I usually just ask the model what they feel most comfortable with.  The ones with experience say they enjoy both freedom and instruction (when needed).  In those cases, I let them pose, then I "tweak" it a bit with instructions like "lower your chin just a bit" and "pull your elbow back some".

Those without experience really prefer a lot of instruction (i.e. "okay, in this shot, I want you to pretend you have a secret that no one else knows--show me your devilish smile").  I'll also offer up some advice between shots on how to achieve the look I'm going for.  They seem to appreciate it, and it makes them less apprehensive or shy.  Talking to them conversationally during the shoot really helps to loosen them up.

Oct 09 06 09:02 pm Link

Photographer

Fresno, California, US

What works for me is when I colaborate with them. I start off by letting them do whatever they want to do or think there suppose to do and from that I give them little directions like chin lower, lean back, shoulders down and stuff like that. Little by little then losen up and get comfortable with taking more direction and are willing to do what I ask without feeling tense or stiff. I usually have a picture in my head of what I want so I eventually work up to it by the end of the shoot when there most comfortable with you. and by letting the model do things they want in the begining you end up with a variety of choices and sometimes you get something that you wouldn't have thought of or is better that the original Idea but you know that in the end your still going to have the picture you had in your head. But thats just my way of shooting. try diffent things untill you find a way that you like.

Oct 09 06 09:11 pm Link

Photographer

D Allen Photography

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Ray Granado wrote:

If I am working with a seasoned pro I generally take a fly on the wall approach and let them do what they do best.  If I am working with a novice I take a see how it goes attitude and often I wind up directing and coaching them.

Oct 09 06 09:15 pm Link

Photographer

Luminos

Columbia, Maryland, US

For me:

It depends on the model;

It depends on the theme;

It depends on the outfit;

It depends on the location.

And for everyone else add -

It depends on the photographer.

For god's sake, why worry what everyone else does?  Do what works for you.

Oct 09 06 09:17 pm Link

Photographer

darkfotoart

Grand Rapids, Michigan, US

i usually pose my models from there feet up , make sure they have  good comfortable footing first then build on it.  i pose everything down to lips , posing models is hard but in time you get the look you want.      by the way . look at the 4yo boy in my port i posed his face for that picture !!!!!!

Oct 09 06 09:48 pm Link

Photographer

Thorn Hill Studios

Springfield, Massachusetts, US

This thread has been fun and informative to read, as I have struggled with this myself as I started out.  I try to leave time for model's freestyle towards the end of the shoot.  I'm also learning to clearly communicate expectations before the start of the shoot.  I let them warm-up, and then watch and wait, and work through any modifications. Often there's collaboration, and I like that too.

Oct 09 06 09:57 pm Link

Photographer

j-shooter

San Francisco, California, US

I know the looks and poses I want. I tell or convey that to the model, most of whom have seen my port and are trying to achieve the "my look".

Oct 10 06 01:03 am Link

Photographer

MegaHertz Studios

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

I prefer to direct the model first.

But, most of my favorite shots come at least an hour into the shoot when we have both become more comfortable.

This is when I much prefer the model to move and improvise.

As much as i pre-visualize i can never anticipate the truly improvised moves and looks.

And the best smiles are always natural, not posed.  It is a challenge to get a natural laugh, but worth the effort.

Ultimately, I prefer my models to move, dance, jump, run. Do something.  I love working this way, but it is harder. Kind of like shooting sports.

Oct 10 06 07:07 am Link

Photographer

Year of the Dragon

San Francisco, California, US

Luminos wrote:
For me:

It depends on the model;

It depends on the theme;

It depends on the outfit;

It depends on the location.

And for everyone else add -

It depends on the photographer.

true,

for me, besides posing a model and seeing what the model can do, complicated lighting does not leave very much room for the model to play with poses, or change them.  So in the "zone"  where the light is hitting correct, i let the model know the mark and let them come to it in a movement, it could be a very small range of motion, but i think it helps in keeping the pose / shot fresh and not that frozen held look.

P

Oct 10 06 07:53 am Link

Model

Wellman

Columbus, Ohio, US

depends depends depends.... of course... BOTH

Oct 10 06 07:56 am Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I prefer more direction and guidence. Thats just how I like to work. I want to know exactly what it is that *you* want to see in your lens. After all, its your images that we're seeking. I'm simply there as the focus (or sometimes not) of the image. Its up to you to convey to me what you want to see, so that I can create it.

I don't have a problem doing more free type movements. By now I am familiar with my body and know the best positions for me to be in, and what shows off my better looks. I often will be moving around in a shoot and hear the photographer call FREEZE! when suddenly they see something that I wasn't aware of. I couldn't have posed myself that way, but the act of moving around just on my own between images creates a good natural look.

That being said - I will put more importance on the photographer knowing *how* to accurately communicate what they want to the model than simply giving direction. Communication is the sharing and understanding of ideas between two or more people. I have had many a photographer give me "directions" that were clear as mud. That only serves to frustrate me when I am attempting to give you what I think you want, and it turns out to be repeatedly wrong. If the model isn't getting it, then you're not giving good directions!

Oct 10 06 08:51 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

I love it when a model moves, and I'm uncomfortable talking a model through a speciic shape.  But in reality, a little of both happens.  The model can't see what you see, and she certainly needs to know what you are looking for. 

So, what I do is spend a little time setting up the lights.  Then I explain the concept.  I play appropriate music.  I ask the model to move.  I give her feedback, telling her what's working & what's not working.  I show her proofs on occasion.  Sometimes, I just ask her to show me something different with her arms or legs. 

But I strive for a kinetic sitting.

Oct 10 06 10:12 am Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

I practice a bit of both. Like the rest said, it's all relative. You need to just keep practicing, and the subtle model guidance thing should develop over time.

Luminos wrote:

Because he hasn't found what works for him?

Oct 10 06 11:00 am Link