Forums > General Industry > Music During a Shoot? Who Picks? What Type?

Photographer

Mike Haner Photography

Tacoma, Washington, US

How bout this one....do you play music during a shoot? If you do who picks the music, the Model or the Photog? What type of music?  I find that music helps out a lot.  I really like to have it playing during a shoot. I usually let my model or subject choose.  There is some stuff that I can't stand so if that is all the model likes then we have a problem that can usually be worked around with some older type stuff. For the most part we just go with what the model likes and crank it up. What do you all think?

Oct 09 06 10:29 am Link

Model

ERICKA KANE

Detroit, Michigan, US

Always use music, It helps bring out the attitude that you want to convey in a picture. The model should pick the music because the model is the the one portraying a character and conveying the message. XOXO
-Ericka Kane

Oct 09 06 10:31 am Link

Photographer

Saryn Angel

Los Angeles, California, US

I ask the model what kind of music she listens to.  I have Itunes on my puter and play music from there - I figure that with my selection of music, I'll have something that the model likes.

To me the entire shoot is all about the models comfort.  Whatever will get her/him in the mood.

smile

~S

Oct 09 06 10:34 am Link

Model

TaniaB

Tampa, Florida, US

I ALWAYS bring music...depends on the type of shoot we are doing....something emotional I bring blues...alicia keys or something...something fun some kind of rock or hip hop...and I dance around..or something classy and elegant I bring classical music...really just depends...so I think the model should choose smile

Oct 09 06 10:37 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

Model picks the music. Who cares what the photographer wants? ;-)

I prefer music if I'm doing studio shooting...and anything but country is usually fine.

Although on Saturday, my MUA picked the music- good thing she has taste and I worship the ground she walks on ;-)

Oct 09 06 10:39 am Link

Photographer

BonedaddyBruce

Orlando, Florida, US

Music! Always!....

It adds a dynamic of fun and comfort that gets everyone in a better mood. I usually have a few styles in mind for the shoot. I ask the models what they like and try and pick something out based on the shoot and mood and tell them to bring something they like.

I might not get to his/her selection, but I try and pick the best theme for the shoot.

Oct 09 06 10:44 am Link

Photographer

Mike Haner Photography

Tacoma, Washington, US

Daniela V wrote:
Model picks the music. Who cares what the photographer wants? ;-)

I prefer music if I'm doing studio shooting...and anything but country is usually fine.

Although on Saturday, my MUA picked the music- good thing she has taste and I worship the ground she walks on ;-)

You're right, I guess all the photographer does is press that little button and you could train a monkey to do that right?? :-)

I agree with the model choosing but when "all" they can stand to listen to is super hardcore rap that cant be played on the radio and has no music to it even the trained monkey has problems knowing when to press the little button.

Oct 09 06 10:48 am Link

Photographer

Bay Photo

Marseille, Provence-Alpes-Côte-d'Azur, France

i would never tell the DJ what to play. just let them do thier thing. that is why you hire them, no?

if you have a computer with internet access, point your speakers to kexp.org it's one of the best indy stations out there

Oct 09 06 10:55 am Link

Photographer

Ed Stringbourne

Kansas City, Missouri, US

I ask what the model likes, see if I have it and stick it on. Normally end up just having the radio on, however.

Oct 09 06 11:09 am Link

Photographer

Michael J

Rustburg, Virginia, US

Always play at the models request.  (If he/she doesn't their own.)  The entire shoot is about capturing the image, and the subjects comfort has alot to do with the outcome.

Oct 09 06 11:12 am Link

Photographer

Antonio Photography

Mexico City, Distrito Federal, Mexico

I play music all the time. I try to have real hits so the model can like it. Sometimes the girls bring their own CD or even IPOD. I try to please them and play it to my stereo or even plug their MP3 player. Some girls like classical for artistic nudes, other like Roxette (Dress for success, the Look) when doing bikini and even I had girls that love Poison or Motley Crue.

You will always do a good shot if you have music while working. It's great working at other's music likeness...

Oct 09 06 08:05 pm Link

Photographer

Moraxian

Germantown, Maryland, US

We mix it up during a stills shoot, but if we're shooting video, we don't put on any music as we record sound along with the video.  smile

Oct 09 06 09:03 pm Link

Model

Mircalla

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Well it could easily go both ways. I think music is wonderful and can really help a model open-up. I think you have to consider the models' expertise, and what type of shoot you're doing. If the model can't get into the music, you may end up with some pretty shoddy photographs. I know that when I modeled, I would usually choose the music. But my tastes are so diverse, that it was easy for me to get into the mood, no matter what the music.

You could mix it up, as someone else stated. Allow the model to choose some music of her/his own for some shots, and then play your own for the shots that you want to do.

Oct 09 06 09:09 pm Link

Model

Linnea

Fairless Hills, Pennsylvania, US

You know, now that you bring it up, I realize that music really does help!!  The past two shoots I've done were location stuff, out in the grass or woods, and music wasn't available.  I realize that I didn't have the same energy as I usually do during a shoot.  It really does make a huge difference for me.  It doesn't even matter what's on.  The photographer has always just had the music on and it works for me.  Sound in the background helps me find a rhythm.

Oct 09 06 09:13 pm Link

Model

DELETE ACCOUNT

Eškašem, Badakhshan, Afghanistan

Partial quote:  " ... Motley Crue."

big_smile

Oct 09 06 09:16 pm Link

Photographer

James Johnson

Anaheim, California, US

I have some mixed CDs that I have made specifically for shoots.  The music is energetic and fun and has a variety.  I usually play that while setting up.  It gets me hyped up.  But once the model gets there, I ask for his/her choice.  A lot of the time they like the mix and stick with it.  But I'll play whatever makes them comfortable and helps them enjoy the shoot.

Oct 09 06 09:21 pm Link

Photographer

j-shooter

San Francisco, California, US

Either me and the model are concentrating so much that we don't need music, or I play Japanese soul music.

Oct 10 06 04:33 am Link