Forums > General Industry > Honesty...question.

Photographer

Viewu

Bradenton, Florida, US

First honesty...I just looked at a models pics and she had some GREAT ones but there were maybe 35% that were terrible...nt becuase of her but the photos were way to dark, or BAD lighting, etc...and the comments under them were so lame...like "you have the best legs I've ever seen.  Great shot!" 

Does anyone here ever say "you have some great stuff but get rid of this or that in your portflolio"  I mean some beginners would have FAR better books if they had the FEW good shots and not the numbers.

Oct 09 06 07:42 am Link

Photographer

Rick Jolly

Newton Falls, Ohio, US

"Honesty"
not much of that on this site!

Oct 09 06 07:44 am Link

Photographer

MegaHertz Studios

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

I have definitely recommended reducing number of shots in port by elimating the bad ones.

I have been tactul and respectful but firm.

I guess some people think that quantity will get them a job.

I really don't think you need more than 10-12 shots to make the case that you are worth hiring.

Oct 09 06 07:46 am Link

Photographer

Viewu

Bradenton, Florida, US

Why not?  Good old criticism was the best thing that ever happened to me and still is.  The photographers I know who are my best friends are the ones I know will tell me the truth...sometimes it stings but it ALWAYS helps whether I decide they are right or wrong.

Oct 09 06 07:47 am Link

Photographer

UnSeenYou

Cleveland, Ohio, US

You are 100% correct.  These GWP need to be helped and stroking their egos with false hopes does nothing for them OR us as photographers.  Many of them already think that they are hot stuff and many are cute or very cute, but cuteness doesnt make a model.

I've tried to help with offering suggestions and know of a couple who really took heed and tried to make changes.  I know one who really doesn't have a chance BUT she is trying and I like that.  She is trying and not listening to the 'oh girl you are so hot' BS. 

Maybe we need to talk some sense to thes GWC and tell them to stop talking crap to these girls and get them into reality by talking truth to them.

Oct 09 06 08:00 am Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Skip Nall Photography wrote:
First honesty...I just looked at a models pics and she had some GREAT ones but there were maybe 35% that were terrible...nt becuase of her but the photos were way to dark, or BAD lighting, etc...and the comments under them were so lame...like "you have the best legs I've ever seen.  Great shot!" 

Does anyone here ever say "you have some great stuff but get rid of this or that in your portflolio"  I mean some beginners would have FAR better books if they had the FEW good shots and not the numbers.

did you let her know that for those 35%? I would send her (I'm assuming her here b/c of the legs comment) a message instead of a comment. Personally I wouldn't appreciate comments on my pictures that are like "well you look good but this photo is crap" because photographers I shoot with might see it and I don't want THEIR feelings hurt (mine wouldn't be). I would prefer the criticism be sent to me in a message.

Oct 09 06 08:06 am Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

Rick Jolly wrote:
"Honesty"
not much of that on this site!

i don't believe you

Oct 09 06 08:08 am Link

Photographer

Viewu

Bradenton, Florida, US

Jessalyn_54 wrote:

did you let her know that for those 35%? I would send her (I'm assuming her here b/c of the legs comment) a message instead of a comment. Personally I wouldn't appreciate comments on my pictures that are like "well you look good but this photo is crap" because photographers I shoot with might see it and I don't want THEIR feelings hurt (mine wouldn't be). I would prefer the criticism be sent to me in a message.

I wouldn't come and say the photo was crap...just say the lighting or makeup or whatever is not as strong as your other work and should be removed...the photographer can learn something.

The real world for a shooter, model of makeup artist is full or rejection...anyone that can't take it better run the other way FAST!

Oct 09 06 08:31 am Link

Model

Niquey

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia

I've left comments with proper critique 90% of the time i bother commenting. If i find a photo fault i still try to find something good to say about it as well, but i'll say what i don't like as well. Photo's i truly dislike in a model's port i will comment something like "This photo does you no justice" or will simply not bother, in a togs port "This photo lacks the spark held in others in your portfolio" or something to that effect. But i have out and out lied occassionally.

Oct 09 06 08:36 am Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

I wouldn't come and say the photo was crap...just say the lighting or makeup or whatever is not as strong as your other work and should be removed...the photographer can learn something.

The real world for a shooter, model of makeup artist is full or rejection...anyone that can't take it better run the other way FAST!

my main question was did you in fact leave that person a message about the 35% of her/his pictures? I was just pointing out that it should be a message and not a comment/tag

Oct 09 06 08:40 am Link

Photographer

Antonio Photography

Mexico City, Distrito Federal, Mexico

I alway try to be has honest as possible and prefer to leave a comment on the photo I like the most. Yep, sometimes I might say that something has to improve (and so myself!!!) and try to do it in the most gently way as possible.

We all have many things to learn from each other.

Oct 09 06 08:10 pm Link

Photographer

Hope Parr

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

Maybe she likes the photos.

Just because you think the lighting is bad, or the pic is to dark or what ever does not mean she, or the person who shot it does. There are tons of work I do not like, but thats not important, whats important is if the person who made the work likes it.

I have seen lots of "photographers" on here who has over exposed images, its like they have never seen a light meter, but if the image is what he wanted, then thats up to him, its not my place to tell him it sucks.

Oct 09 06 08:21 pm Link

Model

Dara_w

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Jessalyn_54 wrote:
I was just pointing out that it should be a message and not a comment/tag

This is sooo true. Send me a message anyday, but if my photo isn't in the critique forum, just leave it alone.

Oct 09 06 08:25 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

If you know the person, messaging advice is fine.  Nothing public, of course - that's just rude. 

The real problem comes when lots of folks start giving suggestions and it becomes a question of which advice should be taken.  Considering all the complimentary tags seen on schlock pictures, listening to a stranger advise about photographs here on MM is a really bad idea.

A long time back I wrote a general post to models on how to evaluate photographs and was shouted down by dozens of photographers.  The advice was pretty simple and with minor modifications applies to shooters as well.. 

a)  Go look at magazines and at your pictures and don't show something that would never be in print. 

b)  Go look at art books to see what is being called "art" these days, rather than depend on someone telling you what it is. 

c)  Think about whether the photograph makes any of your features at all look hideous.

d)  If you still aren't sure about a picture, ask a father or boyfriend (in the case of a photographer, a wife or girlfriend is a pretty good substitute).  Or better, ask a photographer that you know and respect.

Stuff like that.  In general the chaos that followed had to do with a popularly held belief that photography cannot be judged.  It can be judged.  But not everyone is qualified to do the judging and not everyone will have the best interests of the person displaying the pictures in mind.  If in doubt, ask someone you respect.  If given advice by someone you don't know, go see if he's got any legitimacy by looking at his work.

-Don

Oct 09 06 08:38 pm Link

Model

Mircalla

Baltimore, Maryland, US

The thing I have found is that when you try to give out conrtuctive criticism here on this site (and others for that matter) people tend to take offense instead of taking it as general, honest advice. It's not saying that it's a bad picture just because you mention that the lighting is off. I would much rather someone tell me their opinions on such things, than just leave some random "great shot" comment (unless of course, they truly think it's a great shot! LOL).

Oct 09 06 09:01 pm Link

Model

OC Girl

Costa Mesa, California, US

When I first put up pictures, a photographer commented on one, saying "I love the personality of this pic.  Too bad a shadow is blocking part of your face."  I removed the photo.  At the time, I didn't know what made a good photo for a model.  Now, I look for these things.  I'm still learning, but I appreciate the honesty.  It's like when you have something in your teeth.  Do you tell the person or just keep walking?  I want to be told.  But everyone's different.

Usually, if I comment on a picture, it's because I like it.  I don't comment just to comment.  I hate when someone comments on a picture of mine and I want to be nice and return the favor, but I'm not impressed by anything in their port.  What do I say?  Sometimes I leave a tag, but still.

Oct 09 06 09:02 pm Link

Model

Christine

Los Angeles, California, US

You should probably make the comment nice because it would be embarassing for the model if everyon saw you put it down but maybe you could send them a message critiquing them...or you could just critique them in the "Critique" forum.

Oct 10 06 05:08 am Link

Photographer

Jason McKendricks

Chico, California, US

I have run into this situation when returning comments. I really don't want to write "great shot" if I don't really think it was. In those cases, I'll try to find something I like about the photo; if it's of a model I'll comment on her pose, hair, expression.

Oct 10 06 06:04 am Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Los Angeles, California, US

Jessalyn_54 wrote:

my main question was did you in fact leave that person a message about the 35% of her/his pictures? I was just pointing out that it should be a message and not a comment/tag

WHAT?

First off if you cant stand the heat stay out of the kitchen.

I leave honest polite comments all the time. I am not here to hold anyones hand. You post it, I will tag it. Good bad or whatever. Hell, better get a thick skin to be in this business.

Oct 10 06 06:14 am Link

Photographer

Jason McKendricks

Chico, California, US

Vance wrote:
Hell, better get a thick skin to be in this business.

Quoted for truth.

I'm still working to be at the level I'd like to be. In my opinion, when you post on a public forum, you best be prepared for whatever people are going to say. I actually appreciate constructive criticism.

Oct 10 06 06:21 am Link

Model

ang m

Chicago, Illinois, US

Why not?  Good old criticism was the best thing that ever happened to me and still is.  The photographers I know who are my best friends are the ones I know will tell me the truth...sometimes it stings but it ALWAYS helps whether I decide they are right or wrong.

I love professional opinions - it's how I achieve the next level of success.

Oct 10 06 06:27 am Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Pattaya, Central, Thailand

You have to ask yourself -- are you here as a career counselor, or as a photographer? They are two VERY different jobs. And just because we know a lot about OUR end of the business doesn't mean we are qualified or able to dispense good advice on the modeling end of the business. Plus, because there are some natural conflicts between what's best for models, and what's best for photographers, it's hard to avoid the temptation to spin the advice -- I often hear photographers giving advice to models that serves the interests of photographers more than models. To me, that's simply dishonest.

If somebody asks me for my opinion, I will offer it. But I try to avoid advice on career management, especially if it is not specifically asked for.

Regards,
Paul

Oct 10 06 08:31 am Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Vance wrote:

WHAT?

First off if you cant stand the heat stay out of the kitchen.

I leave honest polite comments all the time. I am not here to hold anyones hand. You post it, I will tag it. Good bad or whatever. Hell, better get a thick skin to be in this business.

I don't mind comments on my photos, did you see the rest of my post? because you didn't quote it. I stated that photographers I work with might see the comment and be offended. yes THEY need thicker skin but that's not my business, that's theirs so I would prefer to take the safer route and not hurt their feelings.

Oct 10 06 08:36 am Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

Jason McKendricks wrote:

Quoted for truth.

I'm still working to be at the level I'd like to be. In my opinion, when you post on a public forum, you best be prepared for whatever people are going to say. I actually appreciate constructive criticism.

yes, I love constructive criticism as well. when enough photographers have told me to take down a photo because of this or that reason, I have. but they politely message me instead of posting a comment. I feel that by posting a comment/tag instead of a message you are just wanting everyone else to read it. why? if it's just for me then why should the world see it?

Oct 10 06 08:38 am Link