Forums > General Industry > Have you paid for a MM model or photogrpher?

Photographer

Merlinpix

Farmingdale, New York, US

I pay my models, and MUA's; but then again I shoot to sell/publish.

Paul

Oct 10 06 01:21 am Link

Body Painter

BodyPainter Rich

Sacramento, California, US

I've hired models from MM, and I will again. I've also used MM to recruit for an upcoming project that will pay.

I've gotten inquiries from paying photographers, but no bookings as of yet.

Oct 10 06 01:24 am Link

Photographer

Hope Parr

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

I always pay the models and I always pay the MUA. All the fee's associated with the shoot I pay for, including airfare and hotel if needed.

I do not do TFP nor am I for hire by the general public or by models. I do not care if a model has a "professional" portfolio, I prefer to see them without makeup and their images not edited/air brushed.

Oct 10 06 01:44 am Link

Model

Sinnamon Love

Los Angeles, California, US

NYPHOTOGRAPHICS wrote:

I never had most of these internet issue, but I think this would be offensive,  why would you pay a MUA and not the photographer doing the work pre and post?  its just weird, its less offensive if everyone in volunteering to produce good images.  Again I have never been in the situation so maybe I am a bad one to judge its just whe I her that it makes me wonder why?

Stephen Eastwood
http://www.PhotographersPortfolio.com

Why? Because more often than not the photographer holds the copyright to the images after the shoot.. so while the model may be able to use the images of herself for her book or online profile, the photographer can just as easily go out and sell the image in some medium and make a profit on the model as a result.. Even when hiring a photographer, many don't want to sign a Work For Hire agreement with the model granting all rights to the images.. and if that's the case, why pay the photographer for something you don't own? Just playing Devil's Advocate from the often broke/ working/ struggling model perspective.

Now, I have 2 photographers that are pretty much exclusively shoot the content for my website, and I pay them, not just to shoot me, but other models as well. I always pay my makeup artists, and Sometimes pay models, but more often seek models actively looking for trade for similar intended purpose. However, I'm a pro model, not a beginner, and paying a photographer to shoot me fo my book seems relatively ridiculous... if I have no other reason for the shoot. I love creating art for the sake of art.. but damn it, us models gotta eat too!

Sinn

Oct 10 06 04:39 am Link

Photographer

KaoS GRaFFiX

Sunbury, Pennsylvania, US

I paid one model $125 for artistic nudes and to travel 100 miles to my house. It was well worth it!

Oct 10 06 05:51 am Link

Model

CUnique

Bowie, Maryland, US

Toria wrote:
I have done many shoots with MM models and have never exchanged money either way.  I have so many ongoing projects that I usually either use the models that have been faithful to my work, or solicit new faces for TFP ONLY.  I have worked with many models who say they ONLY will work for pay and NO TFP.  But, that's what I do is TFP.  That's the way I like to shoot though...I like to keep the money out of it and this way it becomes less of a stress and more of an artistic endeavor.  I am fortunate enough to not have to do my model photography for money...and I am very pleased with where I am right now.

The person who said that the shoots "turn out better if they are paid for" is just dead wrong.  A shoot turns out or doesn't both with paid and nonpaid shoots.  I had to laugh at that comment!  wink

Don't laught to soon....(unless its my model mayhem port...then you can laugh...lol) but that person had a point and he/she could swear on it on a stack of bibles...9 times out of 10 you get what you pay for. I know of some photographers id gladly pay to help improve my port (because I know I could trust them to work harder for my best interests and look)...however, I know of some who would improve it drastically with tfp but they live too far away...and so it really doesn't matter. Those however are the exception...not the rule. If you don't pay don't expect as much as if you do...but then it may be easier for a photographer to remain optimistic...what model is going to do a lousy job so she can scare off would be fantastic opportunities? A photographer can do a lousy job because he/she knows the model has no recourse but to throw away the cd...lol I went to a photo shoot with another young lady...the images were so bad (even worse then my camera phone images...hahaha) that she had to delete them...they were 100 times the size they should be...they were purple and green, they had a camera date time stamp on the bottom and they were grainy all over...I felt so sorry for the poor thing...she turned around and paid a photographer to give her some shots...they came out awesome. I don't expect people to invest as much of their hard work into unpaid projects...however I do expect it to come out at least decent. lol

Oct 10 06 08:52 am Link

Model

CUnique

Bowie, Maryland, US

CUnique wrote:

Don't laught to soon....(unless its my model mayhem port...then you can laugh...lol) but that person had a point and he/she could swear on it on a stack of bibles...9 times out of 10 you get what you pay for. I know of some photographers id gladly pay to help improve my port (because I know I could trust them to work harder for my best interests and look)...however, I know of some who would improve it drastically with tfp but they live too far away...and so it really doesn't matter. Those however are the exception...not the rule. If you don't pay don't expect as much as if you do...but then it may be easier for a photographer to remain optimistic...what model is going to do a lousy job so she can scare off would be fantastic opportunities? A photographer can do a lousy job because he/she knows the model has no recourse but to throw away the cd...lol I went to a photo shoot with another young lady...the images were so bad (even worse then my camera phone images...hahaha) that she had to delete them...they were 100 times the size they should be...they were purple and green, they had a camera date time stamp on the bottom and they were grainy all over...I felt so sorry for the poor thing...she turned around and paid a photographer to give her some shots...they came out awesome. I don't expect people to invest as much of their hard work into unpaid projects...however I do expect it to come out at least decent. lol

If I were to come to a shoot with my hair all over my head, a bottle of whiskey and one wrinkled outfit and say (well, you should have paid me if you wanted more) then that is like the photographer who gives someone green and purple images, 100 times the size they could actually use, very grainy and a huge time stamp on the bottom...and this was an EXPENSIVE camera...hahahaa The moral of the story...if you are THAT insulted by a non paying assignment just politely decline it...if you are in terrible need of awesome images as a model...either be willing to pay or travel to the photographer who you know won't put his name on a horrible image (so he doesn't create them). lol

Oct 10 06 08:57 am Link

Photographer

Jeff Cohn

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

When doing portfolio work, ive been paid by most models since i stopped offering tfcd. However whenever i get a paying client or film work i also make sure to fight to get one of my models the job whenever possible so she gets paid as well. Mua's get paid either way. Ive never paid anyone out of my own pocket.

Jeff

Oct 12 06 01:14 pm Link

Model

Gabrielle Helms

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I guess it depends on how much you want them working with you.

Oct 12 06 01:45 pm Link

Photographer

ChristianBehr

Miami Beach, Florida, US

My clients have paid a few - and I've been paid by a few.  Market demands.

Oct 12 06 02:07 pm Link

Model

Ashley Jaime

Los Angeles, California, US

I have paid Potographers, Make-up Artists, Hair Stylists, and Stylists. I have also been Paid. I also do tons of collaborating and TFP/TFCD. This site has been nothing but great in helping me grow and not to mention getting to network with such outstanding talent.  MODEL MAYHEM ROCKS!!!!

Oct 12 06 02:33 pm Link